ImageImageImageImageImage

This team is killing me

Moderators: City of Trees, KF10, codydaze

becorz
Starter
Posts: 2,364
And1: 365
Joined: Feb 15, 2008
       

Re: This team is killing me 

Post#181 » by becorz » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:31 pm

pillwenney wrote:
Johnny Firpo wrote:Hey guys, so I'm a huge fan of Bogdanovic, and my question is, don't you guys think that he would deserve more minutes and higher usage%? I don't necessarily mind using him in the Manu role, but to me, it's clear that the team is the best when he is out there. Am I wrong? I also think he has an All-Star ceiling, and there is no way he should be playing sub-30 minutes. I know he was injured and his playing time increased recently, but still, I want more for him. :D


Yeah, it's kind of a tough spot, because when it comes to crunch time, it's often a choice between him, Buddy, and Shump at the 2/3 positions, and we often need Shump out there to guard the other team's best perimeter player.

While IMO Bogdan is still a better over all player than Buddy, I don't think he's necessarily better next to Fox. They're both passable defenders and deadeye shooters. But Buddy and Fox have great chemistry and Buddy works a little better off the ball, whereas Bogdan is the far superior playmaker.

I do think Joerger could stagger things a little better to where we just almost always have two of Buddy/Bogdan/Fox on the floor, but I also think that will be easier when we get on more solid ground at SF (and therefore, have less motivation to play one of them at SF). The problem then would be that we'd never get to see all 3 of them in the same lineup, but if we get a really good option at SF, that might not be the worst thing.

I think that the way Joerger is playing Bogi is the best way to do it, given our roster construction. Our bench has to score, but Bagley is really the only good scorer on our bench. But Bagley is MUCH better when he has someone out there making plays for him. Since I don't think Mason or Yogi are that type of player, I think it is very important to have Bogi playing PG for the bench unit.

If the team were to get another playmaking guard for the bench, I think you might see more of Bogi on the court with Fox and Heild. Even a 2016 Ty Lawson type would help out.
User avatar
pillwenney
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 47,717
And1: 1,313
Joined: Sep 19, 2004
Location: Avidly reading pstyousuck.blogspot.com/
Contact:
 

Re: This team is killing me 

Post#182 » by pillwenney » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:06 am

becorz wrote:
pillwenney wrote:
Johnny Firpo wrote:Hey guys, so I'm a huge fan of Bogdanovic, and my question is, don't you guys think that he would deserve more minutes and higher usage%? I don't necessarily mind using him in the Manu role, but to me, it's clear that the team is the best when he is out there. Am I wrong? I also think he has an All-Star ceiling, and there is no way he should be playing sub-30 minutes. I know he was injured and his playing time increased recently, but still, I want more for him. :D


Yeah, it's kind of a tough spot, because when it comes to crunch time, it's often a choice between him, Buddy, and Shump at the 2/3 positions, and we often need Shump out there to guard the other team's best perimeter player.

While IMO Bogdan is still a better over all player than Buddy, I don't think he's necessarily better next to Fox. They're both passable defenders and deadeye shooters. But Buddy and Fox have great chemistry and Buddy works a little better off the ball, whereas Bogdan is the far superior playmaker.

I do think Joerger could stagger things a little better to where we just almost always have two of Buddy/Bogdan/Fox on the floor, but I also think that will be easier when we get on more solid ground at SF (and therefore, have less motivation to play one of them at SF). The problem then would be that we'd never get to see all 3 of them in the same lineup, but if we get a really good option at SF, that might not be the worst thing.

I think that the way Joerger is playing Bogi is the best way to do it, given our roster construction. Our bench has to score, but Bagley is really the only good scorer on our bench. But Bagley is MUCH better when he has someone out there making plays for him. Since I don't think Mason or Yogi are that type of player, I think it is very important to have Bogi playing PG for the bench unit.

If the team were to get another playmaking guard for the bench, I think you might see more of Bogi on the court with Fox and Heild. Even a 2016 Ty Lawson type would help out.


Oh yeah, I'm completely on board with Bogi coming off the bench. The trick is making sure he gets starter's minutes in spite of that.
User avatar
Popovich
Senior
Posts: 690
And1: 255
Joined: Sep 06, 2015
Location: Serbia
Contact:
 

Re: This team is killing me 

Post#183 » by Popovich » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:50 am

Marvin Bagley continues to impress me, he's so efficient. And although decision ( if it was their decision and not a mere outcome of the deal) of SAC management to pass on Doncic now obviously looks wrong it does not mean that their pursuit for Bagley was wrong at all IMO. As time passes ,acquisition of this type of talent , looks more and more like a great idea. Did you see his vertical jump potentiality ? It is crazy. I even don't see many holes in his game, when he adds little bit more mass to his body and little bit of handles to his repertoire of skills he could be really good full package player, it looks so, right? Since I learned that majority of this board was leaning towards getting Luka, now I see that those people were right although I had a pretty good view on what type of a player Luka is, I just slightly doubted his translation to the NBA, never really expected that he will be clutch and all... Also who knows what would have happen with Doncic in SAC, it seems that Luka has landed in perfect environment for him in Texas. Kings have more talent at all these positions which Luka can cover compared to Mavericks, competition for a spot would be higher in Sacramento IMO.
Criticizing of all the people who had doubts about Luka Doncic is still on going and viral, that is why I felt to ask this similar to previous questions again:

However, considering all being said and seen so far, can we now agree that securing Bagley wasn't bad call either ?
jazanetti
Junior
Posts: 259
And1: 38
Joined: Apr 13, 2017
     

Re: This team is killing me 

Post#184 » by jazanetti » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:28 pm

Popovich wrote:However, considering all being said and seen so far, can we now agree that securing Bagley wasn't bad call either ?

Marvin looks good for sure, but Doncic is a different level. And at least we were able to deal with Mavs (instead of Hawks) at got Bagley + 2019 first round pick... So, no, it was a bad call.
bleeds_purple
Veteran
Posts: 2,704
And1: 1,363
Joined: May 22, 2014

Re: This team is killing me 

Post#185 » by bleeds_purple » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:13 pm

We should lock this thread. This team is not killing me. It's give me a full chub. Best team to watch in 15 years.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
Posts: 13,219
And1: 3,340
Joined: Dec 23, 2009
Location: Roseville, CA
Contact:
   

Re: This team is killing me 

Post#186 » by City of Trees » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:15 pm

bleeds_purple wrote:We should lock this thread. This team is not killing me. It's give me a full chub.
....and a 20 minute suspension for sharing that with us

(Not really)

Sent from my LG-H872 using RealGM mobile app
bleeds_purple
Veteran
Posts: 2,704
And1: 1,363
Joined: May 22, 2014

Re: This team is killing me 

Post#187 » by bleeds_purple » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:21 am

City of Trees wrote:
bleeds_purple wrote:We should lock this thread. This team is not killing me. It's give me a full chub.
....and a 20 minute suspension for sharing that with us

(Not really)

Sent from my LG-H872 using RealGM mobile app


I usually get suspended from this board about once a month so it would just be par for the course :lol: :lol:
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
Posts: 13,219
And1: 3,340
Joined: Dec 23, 2009
Location: Roseville, CA
Contact:
   

Re: This team is killing me 

Post#188 » by City of Trees » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:45 am

Haha. No but seriously you raise a fair question

Is this team still killing anyone??

Nope.

Sent from my LG-H872 using RealGM mobile app
wco81
Head Coach
Posts: 7,265
And1: 1,711
Joined: Jul 04, 2013
     

Re: This team is killing me 

Post#189 » by wco81 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:10 am

Bagley obviously had a big game tonight.

Big improvement compared to what he was doing at the start of the year, trying to jump over people and just go left. Looks like he has been coached up well to add more to his repertoire.

Eventually it would be good to see him start and get more reps against opponents' starters.

He has the potential to be a perennial all-star. But of course, he may be assessed based on what Luka does for years.

But if the Kings improve and regularly get into the playoffs, and Bagley is a big part of that, then people probably won't judge this pick harshly.
BoogieTime
Starter
Posts: 2,000
And1: 629
Joined: Feb 09, 2017
 

Re: This team is killing me 

Post#190 » by BoogieTime » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:26 am

This thread might become dormant for a bit, I’m sure to the delight of the forum. I think we just need to maintain the talent we have - Fox/Buddy/Bagley/BOgi/Barnes and some of the depth to be a good team
simonbampfield
Analyst
Posts: 3,505
And1: 759
Joined: Jul 23, 2004
Location: In my office
Contact:
     

Re: This team is killing me 

Post#191 » by simonbampfield » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:49 am

wco81 wrote:Bagley obviously had a big game tonight.

Big improvement compared to what he was doing at the start of the year, trying to jump over people and just go left. Looks like he has been coached up well to add more to his repertoire.

Eventually it would be good to see him start and get more reps against opponents' starters.

He has the potential to be a perennial all-star. But of course, he may be assessed based on what Luka does for years.

But if the Kings improve and regularly get into the playoffs, and Bagley is a big part of that, then people probably won't judge this pick harshly.


It isn't actually adding to his repertoire as much as having the confidence to use it. Most of what we are seeing he had it in the arsenal, but to his detriment he didn't use it earlier in the season. The coaching has given him the confidence to go out there and use his offensive weapons whereas earlier in the season he would just go into default mode, use his left far too much, go with the same move too often etc. Once the coaches, and also the vets that were/are here noticed it, that is what they have worked on, as well as new moves etc.

And I don't think you will find 1 single Kings fan that wouldn't have taken Luka in the draft, however you won't (or maybe that is a shouldn't?) find a Kings fan that isn't stoked with how Bagley has been and will finish up. It's actually a non story already tbh.
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
BoogieTime
Starter
Posts: 2,000
And1: 629
Joined: Feb 09, 2017
 

Re: This team is killing me 

Post#192 » by BoogieTime » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:27 pm

Draft a guy #2, have him start showing out, and then losing him to potential serious injury?

Really? How snake bitten can a franchise get? With a great fanbase too

It’s like a morgue being a fan of a team and having to wait for the results of a test like this.

We’ll be ecstatic if it’s anything non serious, which would still entail him missing the season most likely
BoogieTime
Starter
Posts: 2,000
And1: 629
Joined: Feb 09, 2017
 

Re: This team is killing me 

Post#193 » by BoogieTime » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:57 pm

One of the things I thought the team had going for it was a good, quality young coach who greatly exceeded expectations

To replace him with a lesser respected Walton just coming off a bad stint, with some Laker fans on other forums laughing at it?

Vlade getting the extension I didn’t feel deserved? Me not being on board with GM AND coach now?
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
Posts: 13,219
And1: 3,340
Joined: Dec 23, 2009
Location: Roseville, CA
Contact:
   

Re: This team is killing me 

Post#194 » by City of Trees » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:29 pm

BoogieTime wrote:One of the things I thought the team had going for it was a good, quality young coach who greatly exceeded expectations

To replace him with a lesser respected Walton just coming off a bad stint, with some Laker fans on other forums laughing at it?

Vlade getting the extension I didn’t feel deserved? Me not being on board with GM AND coach now?
You cant seriously say Luke Walton was the problem in L.A. this year, can you?

As for Lakers fan laughing what did you expect? Someone has to be the fall guy. Magic should be that guy but its easy for them to put that on Luke.

Return to Sacramento Kings