ImageImageImageImageImage

This team is killing me

Moderators: City of Trees, KF10, codydaze

madskillz8
Junior
Posts: 320
And1: 150
Joined: Feb 09, 2017
Location: Dallas
   

Re: This team is killing me 

Post#101 » by madskillz8 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:33 pm

Calm down. People a bit familiar with European basketball, including Vlade, already know that he has the highest floor and basketball IQ in the draft.

The biggest question is whether he can constantly beat quicker defenders by dribble. If he can't, his ceiling will take a hit, because it may be his most effective play to blow defenses to go to the rim or dish to open teammates. Yesterday he played against a low level competition, at least a tier below Euroleague, so we should wait to answer that question.

Still, as many posters had mentioned pre-draft, his experience/polished game and basketball IQ is going to distinguish him from other 19 years olds (e.g. Bagley) from day 1 even if he struggles against quick defenders in his rookie season.
Jkam31
Analyst
Posts: 3,051
And1: 1,881
Joined: Feb 23, 2014

Re: This team is killing me 

Post#102 » by Jkam31 » Mon Oct 1, 2018 11:38 am

BoogieTime wrote:We’re going to say, after one Mavericks preseason game, that anyone remotely involved with the pick will probably need to be fired (Vlade already did, but anyone else involved, and Dave spoke high on Bagley)


I’m still in utter disbelief we passed on him

Fox-Hield-Bogdan-Doncic-Giles was a lineup that could’ve took us to the promised land


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
wco81
Head Coach
Posts: 7,273
And1: 1,717
Joined: Jul 04, 2013
     

Re: This team is killing me 

Post#103 » by wco81 » Mon Oct 1, 2018 8:05 pm

How many drafts has Vlade run?

Just 2 or 3?

Seems like if he got this pick wrong, it could be make or break for his tenure.

I'm also curious if there's some Serbian-Slovenian rivalry of some kind that Americans may not be aware of.

Would he for instance draft a top prospect who was Croatian?

Or overrate a Serbian prospect?
BoogieTime
Starter
Posts: 2,001
And1: 630
Joined: Feb 09, 2017
 

Re: This team is killing me 

Post#104 » by BoogieTime » Mon Oct 1, 2018 8:29 pm

wco81 wrote:How many drafts has Vlade run?

Just 2 or 3?

Seems like if he got this pick wrong, it could be make or break for his tenure.

I'm also curious if there's some Serbian-Slovenian rivalry of some kind that Americans may not be aware of.

Would he for instance draft a top prospect who was Croatian?

Or overrate a Serbian prospect?


I think it was primarily a fit issue. Bagley is seemingly a better fit with Fox/Bogdanovic with the ball in their hands and running the floor. But you have to get the talent right at this level
User avatar
JohnWillow
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,387
And1: 5,195
Joined: Jun 27, 2015
Location: Erik Karlsson to SJ? Slap me silly Dougy!!!
       

Re: This team is killing me 

Post#105 » by JohnWillow » Tue Oct 2, 2018 3:58 pm

wco81 wrote:How many drafts has Vlade run?

Just 2 or 3?

Seems like if he got this pick wrong, it could be make or break for his tenure.

I'm also curious if there's some Serbian-Slovenian rivalry of some kind that Americans may not be aware of.

Would he for instance draft a top prospect who was Croatian?

Or overrate a Serbian prospect?


this was his 3rd draft.

My initial reaction after the picks were like this.

13th Giorgios Papagiannis (what are you doing Vlade, trying to get cute)
22th Malachi Richardson (didn't like it at that time.)
28th Skal Labissiere (Loved it then)

2017th

5th De'Aaron Fox (Still love it)
15th Justin Jackson (Hate that pick then. Still don't like it was on OG wagon)
20th Harry Giles (Excellent at that time)
34th Frank Mason (Meh?)

2018th

2nd Marvin Bagley (Are you kidding me.)

He should be in the hot seat.

I want to slap Vlade.
Celtics fan. :crazy:
We also face the Kings twice in the near future. I think it's time Yabu pays back some of that free money he's been given his entire career and bounces Fox for a nice 2 week ankle sprain.
Jkam31
Analyst
Posts: 3,051
And1: 1,881
Joined: Feb 23, 2014

Re: This team is killing me 

Post#106 » by Jkam31 » Wed Oct 3, 2018 2:57 pm

BoogieTime wrote:
wco81 wrote:How many drafts has Vlade run?

Just 2 or 3?

Seems like if he got this pick wrong, it could be make or break for his tenure.

I'm also curious if there's some Serbian-Slovenian rivalry of some kind that Americans may not be aware of.

Would he for instance draft a top prospect who was Croatian?

Or overrate a Serbian prospect?


I think it was primarily a fit issue. Bagley is seemingly a better fit with Fox/Bogdanovic with the ball in their hands and running the floor. But you have to get the talent right at this level


You need 3 ball handlers to be competitive and Fox and Bogdan aren’t good enough to justify passing on talent.

We **** up period


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
Turgon
Analyst
Posts: 3,643
And1: 4,347
Joined: Feb 01, 2006
       

Re: This team is killing me 

Post#107 » by Turgon » Thu Oct 4, 2018 12:48 am

wco81 wrote:I'm also curious if there's some Serbian-Slovenian rivalry of some kind that Americans may not be aware of.

Would he for instance draft a top prospect who was Croatian?

Or overrate a Serbian prospect?


Hi, Celtics fan here wanting to read Kings fans opinion on Doncic as I'm a big fan of him.

I'm nowhere near an expert on the former Yugoslavian republics but I'm an European (Portuguese) who has been to Slovenia and Croatia this year on holidays (gorgeous countries btw) and tried to learn a bit about the recent history of those countries.

Slovenia was actually the first former republic to declare independence, quickly followed by Croatia. It fought a very short 10-day war against the Yugoslavian army led by the serbs after which a cease fire was reached and no battle was fought again, mostly due to the fact that Croatia geographically buffers Slovenia and separates it from Serbia and Bosnia. Thus the majority of horrors in that war coming from Croatians, Bosnians and Serbs, who fought a very bitter war against each other.

Slovenia went through all of it relatively unscathed. It was also the first former communist country to join the European Union. Economically it is the country with the best performance of the former Yugoslavian republics. And, again, it is beautiful. If I ever get enough money I'll just buy a house on the margins of Lake Bled and retire there :D

So it is quite possible that Serbs do not like Slovenians much. And there is a (very) strong dislike towards Croatians and vice versa. Would that be enough to influence Divac's opinion? I don't think so but you never know. But maybe someone from that region can give you a better answer
J_T
Rookie
Posts: 1,192
And1: 714
Joined: May 07, 2017

Re: This team is killing me 

Post#108 » by J_T » Thu Oct 4, 2018 1:12 am

Turgon wrote:So it is quite possible that Serbs do not like Slovenians much. And there is a (very) strong dislike towards Croatians and vice versa. Would that be enough to influence Divac's opinion? I don't think so but you never know. But maybe someone from that region can give you a better answer

Luka Doncic is probably one of the most popular players in Serbia. His father is Serbian, mother is Slovenian. It looks to me like a lot of Serbians see him as one of "their own" and I don't see a problem with that.

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if Doncic was more popular in Serbia right now than Jokic. Turning down the national team doesn't bode well with European countries.
wco81
Head Coach
Posts: 7,273
And1: 1,717
Joined: Jul 04, 2013
     

Re: This team is killing me 

Post#109 » by wco81 » Thu Oct 4, 2018 1:53 am

I know the different Balkans players used to get along on the Yugoslavian teams in the ‘80s but the war could changed all that.

Divac and Petrovic were both on the Yugoslavia team which won the silver at the 1988 Olympics. Petrovic was Croatian.
User avatar
Turgon
Analyst
Posts: 3,643
And1: 4,347
Joined: Feb 01, 2006
       

Re: This team is killing me 

Post#110 » by Turgon » Thu Oct 4, 2018 7:09 am

Sports tends to bring out the worst in people but also the best. My soccer team has a Croatian, a Serbian and a Macedonian player and as far as I know they get along very well.

Plus I didn't know Luka was that popular in Serbia. I thought that playing for Slovenia despite his Serbian descent would make him disliked. I'm glad I was wrong.

I think Divac may have remembered his own experience adapting to the NBA and thought Luka's game wouldn't translate well. And for all we know he may stil be right. It's one of those things we'll just have to wait and see.
wco81
Head Coach
Posts: 7,273
And1: 1,717
Joined: Jul 04, 2013
     

Re: This team is killing me 

Post#111 » by wco81 » Thu Oct 4, 2018 7:45 am

AS Roma has two stars, a Serb and a Bosnian.

They would have been kids during the war. Or maybe not even born.
User avatar
Popovich
Senior
Posts: 690
And1: 255
Joined: Sep 06, 2015
Location: Serbia
Contact:
 

Re: This team is killing me 

Post#112 » by Popovich » Sat Oct 6, 2018 4:59 am

Bjelica still did not play any minutes for the Kings so far, no ?
BTW
Yes Doncic is very popular in Serbia , for example my brother lost interest in following some Serbian players as much as he used to after Luka came to NBA, nowadays he is always asking me when Dallas will play and what do I think about Doncic's game. Serbian NT even tried to bring Doncic to our team before he had a debut with Slovenia. Slovenia-Serbia relations are totally different and much better overall than Serbia-Croatia although Croatian language is the same as Serbian. There is less bad blood between as Slovenia does not have anything to blame Serbs for during the war , one and only clash was when their irregular army attacked unarmed Serbs in Yugoslavian army and killed more then 10 young soldiers while these were withdrawing from Slovenia as was agreed before that incident. Slovenian language is closer to East Slavic languages when compared to Serbo-Croatian language and their culture is most similar to Austrian culture, generally they are more westernized. Slovenia look up to Austria, Croatia to Germany and Serbia to Russia. All what I said is simplified and heavily generalized view. Most of Slovenians speak Serbian too while Serbs and Croats don't bother to learn Slovenian language even if they work and live in Slovenia, they function whiteout Slovenian just as fine . Melania Trump and Luka Dončić both speak Serbian language too. Anyhow, almost in every Slovenian collective major sport selection there is a bunch of Serbs playing. Goran Dragić is a pure ethnic Serb whose origins are from Bosnia but he somehow ended up playing with Slovenia. Slovenia is Europe champion and did beat Serbia in finals (personally this did not hurt me as much as some others here, I kinda expected Slovenia to win and Serbia was playing with only 2 NBA players, big Bobi and Bogdan who played PG in absence of good PG like Teodosic) Dragić killed us in that final, he had like 30pts at the half and near the end of the game he nearly collapsed out of fatigue. Doncic was mainly stopped but had a solid game anyway. Now without those last two mentioned basketball players Slovenia will probably fail to qualify for the WC in China while Serbia has a tough job to do and is very questionable participant also.
Archx
Starter
Posts: 2,371
And1: 1,554
Joined: Feb 09, 2018
   

Re: This team is killing me 

Post#113 » by Archx » Sat Oct 6, 2018 1:23 pm

Popovich wrote:Bjelica still did not play any minutes for the Kings so far, no ?
BTW
Yes Doncic is very popular in Serbia , for example my brother lost interest in following some Serbian players as much as he used to after Luka came to NBA, nowadays he is always asking me when Dallas will play and what do I think about Doncic's game. Serbian NT even tried to bring Doncic to our team before he had a debut with Slovenia. Slovenia-Serbia relations are totally different and much better overall than Serbia-Croatia although Croatian language is the same as Serbian. There is less bad blood between as Slovenia does not have anything to blame Serbs for during the war , one and only clash was when their irregular army attacked unarmed Serbs in Yugoslavian army and killed more then 10 young soldiers while these were withdrawing from Slovenia as was agreed before that incident. Slovenian language is closer to East Slavic languages when compared to Serbo-Croatian language and their culture is most similar to Austrian culture, generally they are more westernized. Slovenia look up to Austria, Croatia to Germany and Serbia to Russia. All what I said is simplified and heavily generalized view. Most of Slovenians speak Serbian too while Serbs and Croats don't bother to learn Slovenian language even if they work and live in Slovenia, they function whiteout Slovenian just as fine . Melania Trump and Luka Dončić both speak Serbian language too. Anyhow, almost in every Slovenian collective major sport selection there is a bunch of Serbs playing. Goran Dragić is a pure ethnic Serb whose origins are from Bosnia but he somehow ended up playing with Slovenia. Slovenia is Europe champion and did beat Serbia in finals (personally this did not hurt me as much as some others here, I kinda expected Slovenia to win and Serbia was playing with only 2 NBA players, big Bobi and Bogdan who played PG in absence of good PG like Teodosic) Dragić killed us in that final, he had like 30pts at the half and near the end of the game he nearly collapsed out of fatigue. Doncic was mainly stopped but had a solid game anyway. Now without those last two mentioned basketball players Slovenia will probably fail to qualify for the WC in China while Serbia has a tough job to do and is very questionable participant also.


And Milošević regime invading and bombing Slovenia was, what? Act of kindness? Cmon now...War is war, don't even go there terrible stuff happens.

Why is Dragič playing for us? Because he is freaking Slovenian not Serbian, how is that even a question? His father might be a Serb but Goran was born here. Same goes for Luka, even his dad was born in Slovenia, so technically both parents are Slovenian... I still don't understand how people question why some players play for us, or why they don't say they are Serbs.

And yes graphically we belong to central europe. In general, we don't really like balkan mentality because it's, well.... messed up. Look at whats going on in Bosnia at this moment for example.

All in all there is a bit of rivalry still going on but it's not that bad though. Slovenians in general like Serbs way more than Croats but that's another story.
User avatar
Popovich
Senior
Posts: 690
And1: 255
Joined: Sep 06, 2015
Location: Serbia
Contact:
 

Re: This team is killing me 

Post#114 » by Popovich » Sat Oct 6, 2018 1:35 pm

There was no bombing of Slovenia, as far as I know, what are you talking about? How can Yugoslavia invade itself? Army was in retreat without arms when you attacked , I will never forgive this. And yes they are Serbs in origin, why don't you ask themselves? And I don't want to argue about this. I agree that you belong to central Europe with one foot with other foot you are still Balkan nation. My good friend moved to Slovenia few years ago to work and live and we had a fight because he was praising Slovenia and that mentality while I was disliking it. I don't question their passports, I am just telling the facts about theirs ethnicity.
Archx
Starter
Posts: 2,371
And1: 1,554
Joined: Feb 09, 2018
   

Re: This team is killing me 

Post#115 » by Archx » Sat Oct 6, 2018 5:21 pm

Popovich wrote:There was no bombing of Slovenia, as far as I know, what are you talking about? How can Yugoslavia invade itself? Army was in retreat without arms when you attacked , I will never forgive this. And yes they are Serbs on origin, why don't you ask themselves? And I don't want to argue about this. I agree that you belong to central Europe with one foot with other foot you are still Balkan nation. My good friend moved to Slovenia few years ago to work and live and we had a fight because he was praising Slovenia and that mentality while I was disliking it. I don't question their passports, I am just telling the facts about theirs ethnicity.


Are you really asking me those questions?? :D What the hell are they teaching you guys there. You even have full documentaries on youtube that you can check out. But quick facts, Slovenia and Croatia wanted to separate from Yugoslavia and we wanted our own sovereign country. Milošević and other leaders didn't like that and didn't want to let us go and they fabricated the story that Italy wanted to attack Yugoslavia and sent armor and soldiers to borders. Why you think the war even started in the first place? We defended our country successfully with some help from Austria and Germany when they supplied arms and munition to us, but Croatia wasn't so lucky and they got the worst of it. But that is really a quick overview.

And btw, how are they Serbs in origin if they have Slovenian parents and are born here? Their grandparents on father side are from Serbia but that doesn't make them Serbs as some of you would like to point out.
User avatar
Popovich
Senior
Posts: 690
And1: 255
Joined: Sep 06, 2015
Location: Serbia
Contact:
 

Re: This team is killing me 

Post#116 » by Popovich » Sat Oct 6, 2018 6:08 pm

Archx wrote:And btw, how are they Serbs in origin if they have Slovenian parents and are born here? Their grandparents on father side are from Serbia but that doesn't make them Serbs as some of you would like to point out.


Of course it does. How is that one generation is Serbian and another Slovenian? Similar story like Dražen Petrovic whose father declared as a Serb but he declared as Croat. You can declare yourself as a Martian if you want, and that is your right, but no one can escape from it's roots.

And please don't teach me about recent history I am old enough to remember it myself. I get it , something heroic needed to be written in your school books , like that successful heroic defending of your country, as it was the first time in the history that you got your own more or less independent country. LOL, there was no war in Slovenia except few incidents with Yugoslavian military bases , you are brainwashed. Mioševic was bad for all I agree. Croatia was not let to go so easily because one third of population were Serbs, Slovenia is another scenario , it was all about property, factories, barrack bases and real estates.

This is off topic so please stop.
Archx
Starter
Posts: 2,371
And1: 1,554
Joined: Feb 09, 2018
   

Re: This team is killing me 

Post#117 » by Archx » Sat Oct 6, 2018 7:42 pm

Popovich wrote:
Archx wrote:And btw, how are they Serbs in origin if they have Slovenian parents and are born here? Their grandparents on father side are from Serbia but that doesn't make them Serbs as some of you would like to point out.


Of course it does. How is that one generation is Serbian and another Slovenian? Similar story like Dražen Petrovic whose father declared as a Serb but he declared as Croat. You can declare yourself as a Martian if you want, and that is your right, but no one can escape from it's roots.

And please don't teach me about recent history I am old enough to remember it myself. I get it , something heroic needed to be written in your school books , like that successful heroic defending of your country, as it was the first time in the history that you got your own more or less independent country. LOL, there was no war in Slovenia except few incidents with Yugoslavian military bases , you are brainwashed. Mioševic was bad for all I agree. Croatia was not let to go so easily because one third of population were Serbs, Slovenia is another scenario , it was all about property, factories, barrack bases and real estates.

This is off topic so please stop.


You are freaking crazy. What kind of history books do you have over there?? My dad was fighting the war i know exactly what went on. I told you, you even have DOCUMENTARIES, VIDEOS on youtube, check them out. How am i brainwashed if i experienced it first hand. You think i am a 15yo clueless kid or what???
And i don't care what someone declares what he is, Luka and Goran never said they are Serbs so stop treating them like they are because they are not. And i am glad Luka is not playing for Divac because he is just as clueless at what he is doing like you are at what you are saying.
RipPizzaGuy
General Manager
Posts: 8,145
And1: 4,536
Joined: Sep 17, 2010
     

Re: This team is killing me 

Post#118 » by RipPizzaGuy » Sun Oct 7, 2018 3:35 pm

Archx wrote:
Popovich wrote:
Archx wrote:And btw, how are they Serbs in origin if they have Slovenian parents and are born here? Their grandparents on father side are from Serbia but that doesn't make them Serbs as some of you would like to point out.


Of course it does. How is that one generation is Serbian and another Slovenian? Similar story like Dražen Petrovic whose father declared as a Serb but he declared as Croat. You can declare yourself as a Martian if you want, and that is your right, but no one can escape from it's roots.

And please don't teach me about recent history I am old enough to remember it myself. I get it , something heroic needed to be written in your school books , like that successful heroic defending of your country, as it was the first time in the history that you got your own more or less independent country. LOL, there was no war in Slovenia except few incidents with Yugoslavian military bases , you are brainwashed. Mioševic was bad for all I agree. Croatia was not let to go so easily because one third of population were Serbs, Slovenia is another scenario , it was all about property, factories, barrack bases and real estates.

This is off topic so please stop.


You are freaking crazy. What kind of history books do you have over there?? My dad was fighting the war i know exactly what went on. I told you, you even have DOCUMENTARIES, VIDEOS on youtube, check them out. How am i brainwashed if i experienced it first hand. You think i am a 15yo clueless kid or what???
And i don't care what someone declares what he is, Luka and Goran never said they are Serbs so stop treating them like they are because they are not. And i am glad Luka is not playing for Divac because he is just as clueless at what he is doing like you are at what you are saying.


Why come on our board, argue with a non Kings fan and take shots at the Kings. Get off our page
Archx
Starter
Posts: 2,371
And1: 1,554
Joined: Feb 09, 2018
   

Re: This team is killing me 

Post#119 » by Archx » Sun Oct 7, 2018 4:49 pm

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
Why come on our board, argue with a non Kings fan and take shots at the Kings. Get off our page


Because clearly whole point that was made and was discussed flew right over your head and i expressed same feelings as 90% of kings fans are saying themselves. Or those memes about Divac are there to boost the morale of the organization? My bad then.
RipPizzaGuy
General Manager
Posts: 8,145
And1: 4,536
Joined: Sep 17, 2010
     

Re: This team is killing me 

Post#120 » by RipPizzaGuy » Sun Oct 7, 2018 4:55 pm

Archx wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:
Why come on our board, argue with a non Kings fan and take shots at the Kings. Get off our page


Because clearly whole point that was made and was discussed flew right over your head and i expressed same feelings as 90% of kings fans are saying themselves. Or those memes about Divac are there to boost the morale of the organization? My bad then.
It's okay we see that the other guy had a legit argument and you attempted to personally attack him
Reported

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using RealGM mobile app

Return to Sacramento Kings