Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,662

Western Conference Summer League Notes 

Post#1 » by Smitty731 » Sat Aug 4, 2018 1:28 am

Hi all!

The last few years I've dropped a bunch of notes from Summer League. This year we broke them up by conference! Here is the West:

https://basketball.realgm.com/analysis/250909/2018-Western-Conference-Summer-League-Notes

I learned a lot. And not just that I don't enjoy transcription!

Hope you enjoy!

Smitty
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,448

Re: Western Conference Summer League Notes 

Post#2 » by KF10 » Sat Aug 4, 2018 3:28 am

Here is Smitty's notes:

On drafting Marvin Bagley III over Luka Doncic: “Doncic is going to be great, but Marvin is going to be even better. Does that tell you how high we are on him? People say he’s like Chris Bosh and that is a lofty comparison, but not an unfair one. He’s going to score and rebound from day one. Defense will take a little time, but it does for almost every big.”

On Harry Giles’ comeback: “We probably could have pushed him at the end of last year, but it wouldn’t have been the right thing to do. He’s got to get the conditioning up, but the skills are all there. We think we have as deep a group of young bigs as anyone. And all of them can really play. That gives us tons of options going forward.

On last year’s veteran free agents: “We had hoped they might help us get to the playoffs, but that didn’t work out. But our kids still benefitted from having guys like Zach (Randolph) and George (Hill) around for a full year.”

On expectations for the season: “Continue to get better. Let the kids keep growing. Figure out which guys we are going to build around. All the potential is there, and so is the flexibility.”
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,448

Re: Western Conference Summer League Notes 

Post#3 » by KF10 » Sat Aug 4, 2018 3:35 am

I can't help but think how badly the Kings misjudge the team last year -- playoffs!?

Let's hope they finally go to the route of letting the kids grow for good -- as alluded to the last note.

Bagley over Doncic is going to haunt the Kings for a long time, imo.

Return to Sacramento Kings