ImageImageImageImageImage

Kings General Discussion 2018-2019

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

benchmobbin02
Veteran
And1: 364

Re: Kings General Discussion 2018-2019 

Post#821 » by benchmobbin02 » Fri Mar 1, 2019 12:14 am

becorz wrote:I am definitely not trying to feed the OKC fan troll, but Buddy is starting to get on my nerves a little bit. At times he turns into a ball stopper ball hog (for lack of a better term). If he can cut down on that a little bit, I would be so happy.

He does have 5-7 possessions a game where he will just put up a shot without a play being run but in some respects that is part of what helps us win at times. It goes to pace and his position as our #1 offensive option. But I feel what you're saying and there are times when I'll see it coming and be saying to myself "don't shot it" as he inevitably pulls up or gets blocked at the rim.

We'd like him to be selective with it but comparing him to other #1 options with FGAs a game and he comes up 28th with 16.2, which means he kinda already is. Especially when you consider that we're #1 in pace and 4th in possessions a game with 107.3 compared to 1st place OKC with 107.9.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
SactoKingsFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,759

Post#822 » by SactoKingsFan » Fri Mar 1, 2019 12:57 am

BoogieTime wrote:Would the team not be better with Kanter instead of WCS? I wanted a center change at the deadline
Kanter isn't a clear upgrade over WCS who actually fits on this team. Team defense would go from bad to potentially worst in the league with Kanter playing big minutes.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,775

Post#823 » by BoogieTime » Fri Mar 1, 2019 5:20 am

SactoKingsFan wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:Would the team not be better with Kanter instead of WCS? I wanted a center change at the deadline
Kanter isn't a clear upgrade over WCS who actually fits on this team. Team defense would go from bad to potentially worst in the league with Kanter playing big minutes.

There is no worse rim protection/rebounding than WCS IMO. Kanter is terrible himself. So there is better rebounding/scoring at least
SactoKingsFan
Assistant Coach

Post#824 » by SactoKingsFan » Fri Mar 1, 2019 5:54 am

BoogieTime wrote:
SactoKingsFan wrote:

There is no worse rim protection/rebounding than WCS IMO. Kanter is terrible himself. So there is better rebounding/scoring at least
Willie is still a useful defender even without being a traditional rim protector. Kanter is one of the worst defensive bigs. He provides no defensive flexibility, can't defend the pick and roll and his poor defensive awareness makes WCS look like a defensive savant. It's just not worth dealing with Kanter's defense to add some rebounding and scoring.

BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#825 » by BoogieTime » Fri Mar 1, 2019 6:40 am

SactoKingsFan wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:
SactoKingsFan wrote:Kanter isn't a clear upgrade over WCS who actually fits on this team. Team defense would go from bad to potentially worst in the league with Kanter playing big minutes.

Willie is still a useful defender even without being a traditional rim protector. Kanter is one of the worst defensive bigs. He provides no defensive flexibility, can't defend the pick and roll and his poor defensive awareness makes WCS look like a defensive savant. It's just not worth dealing with Kanter's defense to add some rebounding and scoring.

Useful defender? He’s a wretched rim protector and rebounder, as such we are a poor paint defensive and rebounding team. He has no future here.

I agree he can defend in space a lot better than a Kanter and run the floor better (even as our pace has slowed a bit as the season has went on). But I think Kanter can take up more space in the paint, eliminate some of the rebounding issue, and be a lot better scoring option

I guess it’s opinion
2Mas
Head Coach
And1: 3,996

Post#826 » by 2Mas » Fri Mar 1, 2019 4:39 pm

What role do you think Giles has now with Bagley out for 2 weeks?

Asking for my fantasy playoffs lol.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,246

Post#827 » by blind prophet » Fri Mar 1, 2019 5:12 pm

2Mas wrote:What role do you think Giles has now with Bagley out for 2 weeks?

Possibly more minutes. If we use Kosta we'll need the spacing with Bjelica. If he plays Barnes and WCS a great deal, then there may not be much more time for Giles.

Tonight I think we'll use Kosta some on Harrell, Bjelica probably plays some/more too.

I'd think it will change by the game, so you'd have to look at matchups.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#828 » by City of Trees » Fri Mar 1, 2019 6:55 pm

2Mas wrote:What role do you think Giles has now with Bagley out for 2 weeks?

I have a hard time predicting Joerger's line ups. He loves to do his own thing most of the time.

If I were you I would expect no more than a small bump in minutes. Giles is still susceptible to rookie foul trouble too.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#829 » by City of Trees » Sat Mar 2, 2019 12:09 am

Read on Twitter
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#830 » by City of Trees » Sat Mar 2, 2019 5:44 am

Kings biggest need this off-season is rebounding?
sacking123
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,348

Post#831 » by sacking123 » Sat Mar 2, 2019 7:17 am

City of Trees wrote:Kings biggest need this off-season is rebounding?

Would love an energetic guy like Harrell, but having said that don’t sleep on the Bagley/Giles front court for 2019/20 and beyond. They should be starting and that energetic rebounder/hustle guy coming in off the bench would be great with Bjelica too.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,017

Post#832 » by dckingsfan » Sun Mar 3, 2019 2:46 pm

My #1 choice would be Nikola Vucevic - I really wanted to see if we could get that done before the trade deadline (or Porter) vs. Barnes (in hindsight that wasn't a good trade for the playoff push (small sample size) - but oh well.

Vucevic would do two things. First, on offense he stretches the floor and that would be good to have Bagley next to him working the post. That is where I would respectfully disagree on Harrell (on this team).

Second on defense he is a very good rebounder and that would work well with Bagley (rim protection).
jazanetti
Junior
And1: 45

Post#833 » by jazanetti » Sun Mar 3, 2019 6:14 pm

Yep, and paint protection.
But first scoring option (20+ per game) is needed too. Buddy is perfect as second, Fox is not a top scorer, while Bagley is too young and raw.
The problem is there're no realistic targets. That's why I'm very upset about missing opportunity to get Porter.

Sent from my MI 3W using RealGM mobile app
jeffjtk1234
Starter
And1: 401

Post#834 » by jeffjtk1234 » Sun Mar 3, 2019 10:44 pm

jazanetti wrote:
Yep, and paint protection.
But first scoring option (20+ per game) is needed too. Buddy is perfect as second, Fox is not a top scorer, while Bagley is too young and raw.
The problem is there're no realistic targets. That's why I'm very upset about missing opportunity to get Porter.

Sent from my MI 3W using RealGM mobile app

I’m not following. Porter isn’t a first scoring option. Not even close. Bagley has shown the ability to be a go to scorer already. As early as next year he can be a go to #1 option on this team.

That being said Vuc is my top option this offseason for the kings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#835 » by dckingsfan » Tue Mar 5, 2019 4:40 pm

My guess is we need to win 13 more games, we are going to need to play ridiculously good and consistent basketball... that looks a bit like:

Code: Select all

Boston       W
New York     W
Washington   W
Boston       L
Philly       L
Chicago      W
Brooklyn     W
Dallas       W
Phoenix      W
Lakers       W
Dallas       W
New Orleans  W
Houston      L
San Antonio  W
Houston      L
Cleveland    W
Utah         L
New Orleans  W
Portland     L
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,536

Post#836 » by codydaze » Tue Mar 5, 2019 5:05 pm

dckingsfan wrote:My guess is we need to win 13 more games, we are going to need to play ridiculously good and consistent basketball... that looks a bit like:

Code: Select all

Boston       W
New York     W
Washington   W
Boston       L
Philly       L
Chicago      W
Brooklyn     W
Dallas       W
Phoenix      W
Lakers       W
Dallas       W
New Orleans  W
Houston      L
San Antonio  W
Houston      L
Cleveland    W
Utah         L
New Orleans  W
Portland     L

When I look at the remaining schedule for San Antonio and the Clippers, I feel like we're going to need 46 wins to get in at the 8 spot. We just need to hope Houston and Portland aren't playing for positioning down the stretch and they rest some guys.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#837 » by BoogieTime » Wed Mar 6, 2019 2:12 am

I don’t see much talk on Fox’s year. The fact he started off showing superstar stuff for the first 1.5 months, and then solid/borderline all star stuff thereafter. The issue is either physique, in that he needs to physically mature and he’s tired/spent, or, innate aggressive issues. I’m still hopeful the issue is physique. I went to the game and he was noticeably dragging. Of course he is improving either way. But when you see what he initially brought, which was bonafide top ten top stuff, you hope that eventually you see that season round ?
benchmobbin02
Veteran
And1: 364

Post#838 » by benchmobbin02 » Wed Mar 6, 2019 4:03 am

BoogieTime wrote:I don’t see much talk on Fox’s year. The fact he started off showing superstar stuff for the first 1.5 months, and then solid/borderline all star stuff thereafter. The issue is either physique, in that he needs to physically mature and he’s tired/spent, or, innate aggressive issues. I’m still hopeful the issue is physique. I went to the game and he was noticeably dragging. Of course he is improving either way. But when you see what he initially brought, which was bonafide top ten top stuff, you hope that eventually you see that season round ?

I don't see what your talking about on a consistent basis. Of course, guys are gonna have off nights but I still see the hustle on defense, the passing and him pushing the pace. I think it's more of teams having figured out what he does well and are adjusting to it.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
SactoKingsFan
Assistant Coach

Post#839 » by SactoKingsFan » Wed Mar 6, 2019 4:29 am

Most of us are probably just happy that Fox made a big leap from his rookie season. Expecting consistency from a very young point guard is unrealistic. Just think about how good Fox will be if he continues to improve over the next 3-4 years. That's at least a better version of prime John Wall.

dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#840 » by dckingsfan » Wed Mar 6, 2019 7:13 pm

SactoKingsFan wrote:Most of us are probably just happy that Fox made a big leap from his rookie season. Expecting consistency from a very young point guard is unrealistic. Just think about how good Fox will be if he continues to improve over the next 3-4 years. That's at least a better version of prime John Wall.

This - Fox took a huge leap from potential bust to very solid starting PG. Defense, he is already there and will just get better as he gets stronger.

Offensively, I think there are two things. First he needs to improve his 3 point shooting and then shoot more of them (getting rid of the mid-range shots whenever possible (in order to put pressure on the defender). And second just get stronger to be able to finish. His Assist/TO ratio is already 2 to 1 - guessing that will go up as time goes on.

He has a very high ceiling.

Return to Sacramento Kings