ImageImageImageImageImage

2019 Off-Season Questions

Moderators: City of Trees, KF10, codydaze

NYG
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,120
And1: 790
Joined: Aug 09, 2017

2019 Off-Season Questions 

Post#1 » by NYG » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:16 am

1. Who are your free agents and what percentage would you put on them re-signing?

2. What are your team needs and the overall short term goals of the team?

3. Is there any reason your coach may not be in place next year?

4. Who are you willing to trade?
User avatar
benchmobbin02
Veteran
Posts: 2,961
And1: 359
Joined: May 28, 2015
     

Re: 2019 Off-Season Questions 

Post#2 » by benchmobbin02 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:25 am

This is a topic better suited to the off-season imo as many of these things will change depending on what the season outcome is.

Here is a link to spotrac so you can see our players and contract info.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/sacramento-kings/cap/
"We are going to be in a better position in two years. I wanna hear from these same people in two years." - VLADFATHER FEB. 25TH 2017
User avatar
pillwenney
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 47,717
And1: 1,313
Joined: Sep 19, 2004
Location: Avidly reading pstyousuck.blogspot.com/
Contact:
 

Re: 2019 Off-Season Questions 

Post#3 » by pillwenney » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:57 pm

I'll go ahead and answer:

1) Free agents include Frank Mason, Troy Williams, potentially Harrison Barnes if he doesn't exercise his player option, Kosta Koufos, and most notably, Willie Cauley-Stein

2) I'd say our short term goals would be a center who fits well with Bagley. One who can spread the floor and defend would be ideal. Also wouldn't mind getting some defensive specialists, well, all over.

3) Unfortunately, there is reason to think that's possible, given the front office turmoil with Joerger, but it's hard to imagine a world where we finish at or above .500, and the FO could possibly justify letting him go. But we have legitimate cause to be skeptical.

4) My only true untouchable is Fox. Buddy and Bagley could be had for a superstar, and I can't imagine any scenario beyond that. Bogdanovic and Giles are also likely always going to be worth more to us than the team who'd be trading for them. I'd move them for the right deal, but I really doubt that deal is out there. In light of all of this, I'd guess we won't be looking to make too many trades this summer.
NYG
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,120
And1: 790
Joined: Aug 09, 2017

Re: 2019 Off-Season Questions 

Post#4 » by NYG » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:25 am

pillwenney wrote:I'll go ahead and answer:

1) Free agents include Frank Mason, Troy Williams, potentially Harrison Barnes if he doesn't exercise his player option, Kosta Koufos, and most notably, Willie Cauley-Stein


What do you think the chances are of re-signing each?
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
Posts: 23,918
And1: 966
Joined: Feb 19, 2005
Location: "Look at me, Dave, look. Come and touch it, Dave."

Re: 2019 Off-Season Questions 

Post#5 » by SacKingZZZ » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:21 am

NYG wrote:
pillwenney wrote:I'll go ahead and answer:

1) Free agents include Frank Mason, Troy Williams, potentially Harrison Barnes if he doesn't exercise his player option, Kosta Koufos, and most notably, Willie Cauley-Stein


What do you think the chances are of re-signing each?



No way in hells bells does Barnes opt out. I think Mason is 25%. Kosta 10%. Williams 2%. Willy 45%.
dckingsfan
RealGM
Posts: 14,698
And1: 3,048
Joined: May 28, 2010

Re: 2019 Off-Season Questions 

Post#6 » by dckingsfan » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:19 pm

I think the Knicks should get in a bidding war for WCS - and we lose :D
OGSactownballer
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,976
And1: 365
Joined: Oct 02, 2005

Re: 2019 Off-Season Questions 

Post#7 » by OGSactownballer » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:03 pm

If Willie is offered anything north of 12 million for anything more than a 3/4 with the fourth year being a TEAM option I say let him walk. His skill set is MORE than replaceable through Harry’s growth and the huge pack of available b/u bogs throughout the league.
I hope that Barnes opts out and if he resigns thatnitnis at a much more realistic and reasonable rate. But I would max out Middleton to replace him in a heartbeat.
dckingsfan
RealGM
Posts: 14,698
And1: 3,048
Joined: May 28, 2010

Re: 2019 Off-Season Questions 

Post#8 » by dckingsfan » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:56 pm

OGSactownballer wrote:If Willie is offered anything north of 12 million for anything more than a 3/4 with the fourth year being a TEAM option I say let him walk. His skill set is MORE than replaceable through Harry’s growth and the huge pack of available b/u bogs throughout the league.
I hope that Barnes opts out and if he resigns thatnitnis at a much more realistic and reasonable rate. But I would max out Middleton to replace him in a heartbeat.

I would say even 10M per year is too much. And yes to Barnes opting out... I know the goal was to get him to make the playoffs this year. But so far, he has been underwhelming (in a very small sample size) - although he really hasn't played well since '16-'17.
simonbampfield
Analyst
Posts: 3,523
And1: 762
Joined: Jul 23, 2004
Location: In my office
Contact:
     

Re: 2019 Off-Season Questions 

Post#9 » by simonbampfield » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:26 am

OGSactownballer wrote:If Willie is offered anything north of 12 million for anything more than a 3/4 with the fourth year being a TEAM option I say let him walk. His skill set is MORE than replaceable through Harry’s growth and the huge pack of available b/u bogs throughout the league.
I hope that Barnes opts out and if he resigns thatnitnis at a much more realistic and reasonable rate. But I would max out Middleton to replace him in a heartbeat.

I agree with this pretty much. The only thing is it's going to be a lot of money for a back up big by the 2nd year of that contract which makes your length of contract the important part.

Also you get the feeling there wasn't much call for WCS prior to the deadline or last off season and there is a reason for that so it will be interesting to see his market. I think he is going to be disappointed with the offers he gets.
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
User avatar
benchmobbin02
Veteran
Posts: 2,961
And1: 359
Joined: May 28, 2015
     

Re: 2019 Off-Season Questions 

Post#10 » by benchmobbin02 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:52 am

simonbampfield wrote:
OGSactownballer wrote:If Willie is offered anything north of 12 million for anything more than a 3/4 with the fourth year being a TEAM option I say let him walk. His skill set is MORE than replaceable through Harry’s growth and the huge pack of available b/u bogs throughout the league.
I hope that Barnes opts out and if he resigns thatnitnis at a much more realistic and reasonable rate. But I would max out Middleton to replace him in a heartbeat.

I agree with this pretty much. The only thing is it's going to be a lot of money for a back up big by the 2nd year of that contract which makes your length of contract the important part.

Also you get the feeling there wasn't much call for WCS prior to the deadline or last off season and there is a reason for that so it will be interesting to see his market. I think he is going to be disappointed with the offers he gets.


Even if we sign him to a modest contract (10-12) he will still be the one of the highest paid players on the team. Just a testament to how young we are. Everyone else is still on rookie deals. And if we give him that 3/4 contract we should still be ok because just Heild and Bogi come for reup in 2020 (in 2 years)and Barnes falls off the books. We have it staggered nicely. There will be decisions to make but they should be able to keep the core together for a run thru 2022 unless we wanna start dipping into the luxary tax.
"We are going to be in a better position in two years. I wanna hear from these same people in two years." - VLADFATHER FEB. 25TH 2017
simonbampfield
Analyst
Posts: 3,523
And1: 762
Joined: Jul 23, 2004
Location: In my office
Contact:
     

Re: 2019 Off-Season Questions 

Post#11 » by simonbampfield » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:11 am

benchmobbin02 wrote:
simonbampfield wrote:
OGSactownballer wrote:If Willie is offered anything north of 12 million for anything more than a 3/4 with the fourth year being a TEAM option I say let him walk. His skill set is MORE than replaceable through Harry’s growth and the huge pack of available b/u bogs throughout the league.
I hope that Barnes opts out and if he resigns thatnitnis at a much more realistic and reasonable rate. But I would max out Middleton to replace him in a heartbeat.

I agree with this pretty much. The only thing is it's going to be a lot of money for a back up big by the 2nd year of that contract which makes your length of contract the important part.

Also you get the feeling there wasn't much call for WCS prior to the deadline or last off season and there is a reason for that so it will be interesting to see his market. I think he is going to be disappointed with the offers he gets.


Even if we sign him to a modest contract (10-12) he will still be the one of the highest paid players on the team. Just a testament to how young we are. Everyone else is still on rookie deals. And if we give him that 3/4 contract we should still be ok because just Heild and Bogi come for reup in 2020 (in 2 years)and Barnes falls off the books. We have it staggered nicely. There will be decisions to make but they should be able to keep the core together for a run thru 2022 unless we wanna start dipping into the luxary tax.


Yeah I agree. However if Barnes opts out, signs something around a 4/72 deal and then we have Bogi and Buddy who will command hefty pay increases, particularly the latter, then that payroll all of a sudden becomes expensive and that hasn't even taken into consideration what should be your 2 best players at that stage in Fox/Bagley. As you said, there will be decisions to make and how this next off season plays out is going to be huge.
That is why what OGSactownballer mentioned about 3 years with a team option 4th is the most we could consider at this stage.
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
User avatar
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
Posts: 3,688
And1: 2,453
Joined: Jul 06, 2013
Location: Sacramento, CA
     

Re: 2019 Off-Season Questions 

Post#12 » by codydaze » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:09 pm

SacKingZZZ wrote:
NYG wrote:
pillwenney wrote:I'll go ahead and answer:

1) Free agents include Frank Mason, Troy Williams, potentially Harrison Barnes if he doesn't exercise his player option, Kosta Koufos, and most notably, Willie Cauley-Stein


What do you think the chances are of re-signing each?



No way in hells bells does Barnes opt out. I think Mason is 25%. Kosta 10%. Williams 2%. Willy 45%.


I actually do think he opts out if the plan is to extend long term. We all thought there was no way that Rudy Gay would opt out, especially after an achilles tear but he did so you never know.
User avatar
benchmobbin02
Veteran
Posts: 2,961
And1: 359
Joined: May 28, 2015
     

Re: 2019 Off-Season Questions 

Post#13 » by benchmobbin02 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:15 pm

simonbampfield wrote:
benchmobbin02 wrote:
simonbampfield wrote:I agree with this pretty much. The only thing is it's going to be a lot of money for a back up big by the 2nd year of that contract which makes your length of contract the important part.

Also you get the feeling there wasn't much call for WCS prior to the deadline or last off season and there is a reason for that so it will be interesting to see his market. I think he is going to be disappointed with the offers he gets.


Even if we sign him to a modest contract (10-12) he will still be the one of the highest paid players on the team. Just a testament to how young we are. Everyone else is still on rookie deals. And if we give him that 3/4 contract we should still be ok because just Heild and Bogi come for reup in 2020 (in 2 years)and Barnes falls off the books. We have it staggered nicely. There will be decisions to make but they should be able to keep the core together for a run thru 2022 unless we wanna start dipping into the luxary tax.


Yeah I agree. However if Barnes opts out, signs something around a 4/72 deal and then we have Bogi and Buddy who will command hefty pay increases, particularly the latter, then that payroll all of a sudden becomes expensive and that hasn't even taken into consideration what should be your 2 best players at that stage in Fox/Bagley. As you said, there will be decisions to make and how this next off season plays out is going to be huge.
That is why what OGSactownballer mentioned about 3 years with a team option 4th is the most we could consider at this stage.


Yeah that is what I suggested. If Barnes and WCS both sign deals for a total of 40-45mil, they fall off the books when Bags is up for a deal and Fox is up in their 3rd year of the deals. Like I said, we shouldn't just throw money to the wind but there is a definite path to having all these core guys here for the next 3-4 years for a run. After that is the question but we should have young guys developing during that time on rookie deals that makeup a good portion of the roster as well.
"We are going to be in a better position in two years. I wanna hear from these same people in two years." - VLADFATHER FEB. 25TH 2017
User avatar
benchmobbin02
Veteran
Posts: 2,961
And1: 359
Joined: May 28, 2015
     

Re: 2019 Off-Season Questions 

Post#14 » by benchmobbin02 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:19 pm

codydaze wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:
NYG wrote:
What do you think the chances are of re-signing each?



No way in hells bells does Barnes opt out. I think Mason is 25%. Kosta 10%. Williams 2%. Willy 45%.


I actually do think he opts out if the plan is to extend long term. We all thought there was no way that Rudy Gay would opt out, especially after an achilles tear but he did so you never know.


Yup. He may not feel the team is the right fit for him. It would free us up to chase another big FA or just a middling guy so we save capitol for our core.
"We are going to be in a better position in two years. I wanna hear from these same people in two years." - VLADFATHER FEB. 25TH 2017
NYG
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,120
And1: 790
Joined: Aug 09, 2017

Re: 2019 Off-Season Questions 

Post#15 » by NYG » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:35 am

benchmobbin02 wrote:This is a topic better suited to the off-season imo as many of these things will change depending on what the season outcome is.

Here is a link to spotrac so you can see our players and contract info.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/sacramento-kings/cap/


Now that things are a bit clearer, what would you say?
User avatar
benchmobbin02
Veteran
Posts: 2,961
And1: 359
Joined: May 28, 2015
     

Re: 2019 Off-Season Questions 

Post#16 » by benchmobbin02 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:35 am

NYG wrote:
benchmobbin02 wrote:This is a topic better suited to the off-season imo as many of these things will change depending on what the season outcome is.

Here is a link to spotrac so you can see our players and contract info.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/sacramento-kings/cap/


Now that things are a bit clearer, what would you say?


This isn't the off-season and the only thing clearer is we aren't going to the playoffs.
"We are going to be in a better position in two years. I wanna hear from these same people in two years." - VLADFATHER FEB. 25TH 2017

Return to Sacramento Kings