Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,585

Re: NBA Free Agency / Trade Thread 

Post#241 » by LightTheBeam » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:50 pm

kalenclayton wrote:
Kings2016 wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:Capela may be available with the Rockets needing cap angling for Butler. Regardless of fit, I’d take him over Horford certainly. The young player with upside on timeline. We might need to take Gordon too

I agree the Capela fit is far better than Horford especially at 33 years old. I think Gordon would be a upgrade over the Alex Burks thing we tried the second half of the season off the bench for sure.

Taking on Gordon and Capela would push the team right into the playoffs. Gordon would be incredible for the team. He would have to be ok with a super 6th man role though. He’s such an underrated player.

I will disagree about Horford though. I think he would be a perfect fit, but the Kings will not be getting him because they won’t offer enough. They would likely offer something like $60 million / 2 years. That won’t get it done for him.

Personally my favorite piece the Rockets have is Tucker. I love the way that dude plays.

hell id take on all 3 for a lightly protected 1st if the Rockets looking to make an outright dump! Bjelica to a 3rd team for a pick to the rockets. I think we would still have money to bring Barnes back.

Capela/Giles
Bagley/Tucker
Barnes/
Buddy/Bogi
Fox/Gordon
SmellingColors
Pro Prospect
And1: 139

Post#242 » by SmellingColors » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:13 am

Not opposed to that scenario. I wonder if we could work in a sign/trade with WCS to offset giving up a 1st round pick? Guess it depends on whether they want a similar style of C to Capela or if they want to go another direction.
bleeds_purple
Analyst
And1: 1,809

Post#243 » by bleeds_purple » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:03 am

By my math Houston will have to dump all three and even then they only create $23M in space not accounting for roster holds. They will probably also have to dump Nene in another deal. But let's assume they can sign Butler if they make this salary dump.

My ideal scenario would have us take Gordon and Tucker on the roster and then reroute Capella to a third team. I would offer him to (in rough order) Milwaukee for a sign and trade Brogdon; Boston for Brown or Smart; NY for Knox and Ntilikina; Orlando for Fournier and try to get them to throw in Mo Bamba; Indiana for Sabonis and McDermott; Cleveland for Love or Dellavedova, Osman, and some pick.

Let's say we can turn Capella into Smart. I think Smart would bring back a lot of what we were missing when Shump left: heart/passion/fire.

Then you got approximately $8M to spend on a center. You can bring in Marcin Gortat or Robin Lopez as a stop gap for a two year deal and you can bring Koufos and Brewer back for depth on minimum deals. That leaves us with this:

G: Fox/Smart/Buddy/Gordon/Bogdan
F: Bagley/Barnes/Bjelica/Brewer
C: Gortat/Giles/Koufos

Gordon and Bogdan can both play the 3 during many parts of the game. You some really big guards. And you can run lineups out against almost any style.
sacking123
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,348

Post#244 » by sacking123 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:04 am

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:
Kings2016 wrote:
I agree the Capela fit is far better than Horford especially at 33 years old. I think Gordon would be a upgrade over the Alex Burks thing we tried the second half of the season off the bench for sure.

Taking on Gordon and Capela would push the team right into the playoffs. Gordon would be incredible for the team. He would have to be ok with a super 6th man role though. He’s such an underrated player.

I will disagree about Horford though. I think he would be a perfect fit, but the Kings will not be getting him because they won’t offer enough. They would likely offer something like $60 million / 2 years. That won’t get it done for him.

Personally my favorite piece the Rockets have is Tucker. I love the way that dude plays.

hell id take on all 3 for a lightly protected 1st if the Rockets looking to make an outright dump! Bjelica to a 3rd team for a pick to the rockets. I think we would still have money to bring Barnes back.

Capela/Giles
Bagley/Tucker
Barnes/
Buddy/Bogi
Fox/Gordon

Hey why not!
To grab all 3 for so little would be great.
Bjelica/2020 2nd from Detroit to Indiana for 2020 Lottery protected 1st (if things go south in FA for them)
Gordon/Capela/Tucker for 2020 lottery protected 1st Indiana/2021 1st Top 10 protected Sacramento/Most favorable Sacramento 2020 2nd rounder. IMO we would still need to get another 1st rounder.

If they do this trade after waiving Mason/Ferrell they can get it through.
Barnes to sign 4/74-80 deal starting at 18.5m with a PO last year.

Harrison Barnes $18,500,000.00
Clint Capela $16,456,522
Eric Gordon $14,057,730
Bogdan Bogdanovic $8,529,386.00
P.J. Tucker $8,349,039
Marvin Bagley $8,556,120.00
Nemanja Bjelica $6,825,000.00
De'Aaron Fox $6,392,760.00
Buddy Hield $4,861,208.00
Harry Giles $2,578,800.00
Caleb Swanigan $2,033,160.00
Matt Barnes $2,133,541.00 STILL

Would have around 6m left to sign someone or just round out the roster with vet mins like Brewer, Jeremy Lin, Kosta.

Fox/Gordon
Buddy/Bogdan
Barnes
Bagley/Tucker/Swanigan
Capela/Giles

IMO Gordon alone would be enough to propel this squad into the POs with his bench scoring and he seems like a guy the team could sign again and if things aren't working he is a terrific chip at the deadline.
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,783

Post#245 » by BoogieTime » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:29 am

Amick apparently “not long ago” confirmed to Tim Maxwell we had interest in Vucevic, contrary to what I read from Ham.

Whatever it is, im confident at the end of FA we will have a much better center than last year no matter who of these names it is.

I’d also prefer Vuc to Horford. I think he’s just a greater talent at this stage and better age, overruling fit. Though I’d prefer Capela

It would require the max, and some of these teams like La/Boston or whoever else are viewed as more prime FA destinations to not go that route IMO
Kabaum
Sophomore
And1: 198

Post#246 » by Kabaum » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:41 pm

Sending out a protected 1st rounder for Capella would be amazing. Vucevic is great but we would probably have to pay him twice the amount Capella gets and we can use the rest of that money to get a solid back up pg and 3&D players.

Also if the Magic resign Vucevic I would love the Kings to kick the tires on Mo Bamba and see what it would to cost to add him to our young core.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,078

Post#247 » by dckingsfan » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:24 pm

Kabaum wrote:Sending out a protected 1st rounder for Capella would be amazing. Vucevic is great but we would probably have to pay him twice the amount Capella gets and we can use the rest of that money to get a solid back up pg and 3&D players.

Also if the Magic resign Vucevic I would love the Kings to kick the tires on Mo Bamba and see what it would to cost to add him to our young core.

I don't think we are going to need to send any picks out for Capella - I think that they are desperate to dump cap space. And yes to the additional 3&D players - who are you thinking about?
bleeds_purple
Analyst

Post#248 » by bleeds_purple » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:46 pm

Giving Boogie a big deal with be the most Knicksy move of all time. Do they ever learn?
Kabaum
Sophomore
And1: 198

Post#249 » by Kabaum » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:47 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
Kabaum wrote:Sending out a protected 1st rounder for Capella would be amazing. Vucevic is great but we would probably have to pay him twice the amount Capella gets and we can use the rest of that money to get a solid back up pg and 3&D players.

I don't think we are going to need to send any picks out for Capella - I think that they are desperate to dump cap space. And yes to the additional 3&D players - who are you thinking about?

If thats the case then getting Capella is a no brainer for us. It think it would be great if we brought back Shump on a friendly contract if he is intersted then getting guys like Danny Green, Corey Joseph maybe Rodney Hood. I also really wanted the Kings to try and get Oubre at the trade deadline so maybe throw out a offer to him too. Those are the smaller contract guys I'd like and then there is all the big names connected to everyone.
NevadaBlake
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#250 » by NevadaBlake » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:48 pm

I would only be willing to give up draft picks if they heavily protected. Something like top 20 protected in first year, Top 14 in second year, and finally if not conveyed becomes 2 second round picks. While I know we would be adding a lot if we take on a combo of the 3 or all 3, I think we would be doing Houston a huge service by taking salary to allow them to sign Jimmy.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,248

Post#251 » by blind prophet » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:52 pm

Kabaum wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:

If thats the case then getting Capella is a no brainer for us. It think it would be great if we brought back Shump on a friendly contract if he is intersted then getting guys like Danny Green, Corey Joseph maybe Rodney Hood. I also really wanted the Kings to try and get Oubre at the trade deadline so maybe throw out a offer to him too. Those are the smaller contract guys I'd like and then there is all the big names connected to everyone.

Capela & Bagley's spacing would be atrocious.

Lopez or Dedmon would be cheaper too.
NevadaBlake
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#252 » by NevadaBlake » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:55 pm

bleeds_purple wrote:Giving Boogie a big deal with be the most Knicksy move of all time. Do they ever learn?
I think it comes down to what he actually gets. If its something like 4 for 60 or 1 for 20 I do not think thats terrible. It takes roughly 2 years to fully recover from an Achilles injury. So, I only think he is going to get better. Maybe not to pre-injury extent, but if he isnt drastically over paid he could be worth it. I would honestly would be more careful to give KD the max. I dont think we will ever see KD at pre injury and there is a good chance he doesnt even come close to 70% of his ability pre injury.
becorz
Veteran
And1: 507

Post#253 » by becorz » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:12 pm

bleeds_purple wrote:By my math Houston will have to dump all three and even then they only create $23M in space not accounting for roster holds. They will probably also have to dump Nene in another deal. But let's assume they can sign Butler if they make this salary dump.

I mean, the complexities of a Butler sign and trade are pretty crazy. See https://www.forbes.com/sites/bryantoporek/2019/06/26/how-would-a-jimmy-butler-sign-and-trade-work-with-the-houston-rockets/#6505985c3dbe

Specifically,
Butler would count as $20,445,779 million in outgoing salary, so the Sixers could not receive more than $25,657,223 million in return. He would count as $32.7 million for the Rockets in incoming salary, so they'd have to send out at least $26.08 million since teams cannot receive more than 125 percent of what they send out in salary plus $100,000.

So, by my napkin math, the Rockets and trade Capella and Gordon out for Butler. The Sixers can take in Gordon. Then Capella would have to be routed to a third team with cap space to take him in.

The other scenario I see is if Nene opts in, then the Rockets can trade one of Capella/Gordon, Nene, and Tucker. Then one of Tucker/Capella/Gordon would have to be taken by a team with cap space. (I think Nene can be changed out with a couple of players with nonguarenteed contracts, depending on guarantee dates)

It is difficult, by if anyone can figure out how to do it, it is Morey.
rpa
RealGM
And1: 7,454

Post#254 » by rpa » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:34 pm

blind prophet wrote:Capela & Bagley's spacing would be atrocious.

This.

Capela is an OK player, but is his style worth $18m a year in the modern NBA? God no.

He doesn't space the floor and was nearly unplayable in the playoffs. If he was making like $5m a year and could help me in the regular season before I tighten up my lineup in the playoffs? Sure, but at $18m a year he needs to be a CORE piece. Not a core piece in the regular season--a core piece all the time.

Give me Dedmon. He had nearly the same RPM as Capela did, but provides floor spacing. Hell, I'd consider giving Dedmon only slightly less than what Capela's paid. 4/60 or something like that.

If the Kings call up the Rockets for anyone it needs to be Tucker. He's basically the perfect fit (other than age) for this team:
1) Multi-positional (3, 4, and maybe even some 2)
2) Good defender. His DRPM rank among SFs the last few years: 7th, 14th, 10th, 17th
3) CHEAP. 2 years $16m left on his deal
4) Good outside shooter. Last 3 seasons from 3pt range: 38%, 37%, 40%
5) His shoe game is crazy.

Only real downside is his age (just turned 34)
benchmobbin02
Veteran
And1: 364

Post#255 » by benchmobbin02 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:12 pm

blind prophet wrote:
Kabaum wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:I don't think we are going to need to send any picks out for Capella - I think that they are desperate to dump cap space. And yes to the additional 3&D players - who are you thinking about?

I wanna address the spacing thing with Capela. At the moment it's true that he doesn't score from the perimeter but that doesn't mean he can't. I'm sure the same was said of Lopez before 2016 and Dedmon before 2017 but they worked on their shot and now they are threats in that area. It just takes work.

Now I completely understand people having trouble with that issue now but I think it is something that can be developed especially for a young big that checks every other box beside that one.

I'm also not sure those other guys would be that much cheaper., especially Dedmon. They'll have shorter deals for sure. But if they are taking less then they are worth, they'll probably do that on a team they think can contend this year and next year. I don't know it we fit that.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,078

Post#256 » by dckingsfan » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:32 pm

benchmobbin02 wrote:
blind prophet wrote:
Kabaum wrote:If thats the case then getting Capella is a no brainer for us. It think it would be great if we brought back Shump on a friendly contract if he is intersted then getting guys like Danny Green, Corey Joseph maybe Rodney Hood. I also really wanted the Kings to try and get Oubre at the trade deadline so maybe throw out a offer to him too. Those are the smaller contract guys I'd like and then there is all the big names connected to everyone.

I wanna address the spacing thing with Capela. At the moment it's true that he doesn't score from the perimeter but that doesn't mean he can't. I'm sure the same was said of Lopez before 2016 and Dedmon before 2017 but they worked on their shot and now they are threats in that area. It just takes work.

Now I completely understand people having trouble with that issue now but I think it is something that can be developed especially for a young big that checks every other box beside that one.

I'm also not sure those other guys would be that much cheaper., especially Dedmon. They'll have shorter deals for sure. But if they are taking less then they are worth, they'll probably do that on a team they think can contend this year and next year. I don't know it we fit that.

And he does seem to work on his game - I think this makes the point?

Code: Select all

Season     FT%
2014-15   0.174
2015-16   0.379
2016-17   0.531
2017-18   0.560
2018-19   0.636
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#257 » by blind prophet » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:41 pm

benchmobbin02 wrote:
blind prophet wrote:
Kabaum wrote:

I bet we have a chance at Dedmon 3/45

One year less, 20-25%ish cheaper per year.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,783

Post#258 » by BoogieTime » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:55 pm

Young improving upside > aging veteran 30s role player. So much so it alleviates some things for me, and he fits the rest of the non Bagley team. I hate to say it, but he could arguably take precedent over Bagley (though we believe in Bagley’s upside.) People talk as if there has never been two paint post players at 4/5 and there is no system for it

Capela is on a decent contract IMO and would only cost a few mil more than aging vets I’m hearing
bleeds_purple
Analyst

Post#259 » by bleeds_purple » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:35 pm

becorz wrote:
bleeds_purple wrote:By my math Houston will have to dump all three and even then they only create $23M in space not accounting for roster holds. They will probably also have to dump Nene in another deal. But let's assume they can sign Butler if they make this salary dump.

I mean, the complexities of a Butler sign and trade are pretty crazy. See https://www.forbes.com/sites/bryantoporek/2019/06/26/how-would-a-jimmy-butler-sign-and-trade-work-with-the-houston-rockets/#6505985c3dbe

Specifically,
Butler would count as $20,445,779 million in outgoing salary, so the Sixers could not receive more than $25,657,223 million in return. He would count as $32.7 million for the Rockets in incoming salary, so they'd have to send out at least $26.08 million since teams cannot receive more than 125 percent of what they send out in salary plus $100,000.

So, by my napkin math, the Rockets and trade Capella and Gordon out for Butler. The Sixers can take in Gordon. Then Capella would have to be routed to a third team with cap space to take him in.

The other scenario I see is if Nene opts in, then the Rockets can trade one of Capella/Gordon, Nene, and Tucker. Then one of Tucker/Capella/Gordon would have to be taken by a team with cap space. (I think Nene can be changed out with a couple of players with nonguarenteed contracts, depending on guarantee dates)

It is difficult, by if anyone can figure out how to do it, it is Morey.

In that scenario I would love to take Capella and reroute him for Smart. I'm fairly confident Boston would be interested in that deal.
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#260 » by blind prophet » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:53 pm

Oubre supposedly has at least one potential suitor for 4/80 or more.

My question is, do you think that may be the Kings?

Not if you like that or not, but if it is true could it be the Kings?

Return to Sacramento Kings