ImageImageImageImageImage

Do the King's need a centre?

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,235

Do the King's need a centre? 

Post#1 » by LewisnotMiller » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:26 am

Hi, so I'm a Celts fan, but I'm just here to try and correct some of my ignorance on your team.
I've seen plenty of suggestions about centres that could help the King's (mostly centres who can stretch the floor) and offensively it makes sense. Or, rather, from a half court offensive standpoint, it makes sense.

However, I've also read things which make me think Walton wants to push the pace.

My question is whether the team would be better served having a versatile 4 with range, and pushing Bagley and Giles to spend more time at the 5 (still get the spread, but less size, more transition speed) or whether a 5 is better.

Haven't seen enough Bagley to have more than a hot take opinion, hence humbly seeking opinions.

Don't really have specific players in mind, but another thread here mentioned Lopez/Horford/Vuc as centre options. Maybe someone like Tobias Harris as my example versatile 4?

Meh...more interested in the theory than getting overly caught up in one player or another, although obviously that does factor in.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,245

Re: Do the King's need a centre? 

Post#2 » by blind prophet » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:31 am

Bagley is better suited at the 4 for now, gets manhandled as the 5. There would be times for small ball sure.

Although he seems capable of outside game potential he is better suited driving or being closer to the rim. A couple of reasons for that, one is he is an absolute beast on the boards, and typically faster and more athletic inside on those guarding him.

So a big that can both protect the paint, and also spread the floor seems ideal.

Giles is overrated. He is a promising potential piece but nothing to do cartwheels in trying to pair for now. Him and Bjelica off the bench are a pretty good combo with talents and weaknesses.

So that leaves Vuc, Lopez, Dedmon as ideal guys to chase.

Horford would be great for the short term, but then we couldn't go over the cap later when rookie deals are done because Big Al will be too old at that point for a second mega contract.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#3 » by City of Trees » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:39 am

Bagley would benefit from playing with a Center who stretches the floor. Allows Bagley to feast down low while bringing his 3 pt shot along gradually.

Other posters have noted the Kings lack of interest in slower Centers like Vuc. If that's the case I think the list is pretty small:

Dedmon
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#4 » by SacKingZZZ » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:35 pm

blind prophet wrote:Bagley is better suited at the 4 for now, gets manhandled as the 5. There would be times for small ball sure.

Although he seems capable of outside game potential he is better suited driving or being closer to the rim. A couple of reasons for that, one is he is an absolute beast on the boards, and typically faster and more athletic inside on those guarding him.

So a big that can both protect the paint, and also spread the floor seems ideal.

Giles is overrated. He is a promising potential piece but nothing to do cartwheels in trying to pair for now. Him and Bjelica off the bench are a pretty good combo with talents and weaknesses.

Horford would be great for the short term, but then we couldn't go over the cap later when rookie deals are done because Big Al will be too old at that point for a second mega contract.

I didn't see it much last year. He did a good job on Steven Adams with is length and tenacity and not even Cousins defended him as well honestly.
LewisnotMiller
Analyst

Post#5 » by LewisnotMiller » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:14 am

City of Trees wrote:Bagley would benefit from playing with a Center who stretches the floor. Allows Bagley to feast down low while bringing his 3 pt shot along gradually.

Other posters have noted the Kings lack of interest in slower Centers like Vuc. If that's the case I think the list is pretty small:

Dedmon

He's an interesting one. I'd half like my Celts to go after him, for much the same reasons, now that Al has moved on.
LewisnotMiller
Analyst

Post#6 » by LewisnotMiller » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:15 am

SacKingZZZ wrote:
blind prophet wrote:Bagley is better suited at the 4 for now, gets manhandled as the 5. There would be times for small ball sure.

I didn't see it much last year. He did a good job on Steven Adams with is length and tenacity and not even Cousins defended him as well honestly.

I guess even if he is strong enough, there is something to be said in not playing him too much there during the reg season. But it can make a difference in who your priority targets are in recruiting, and who are more secondary needs, I think.
benchmobbin02
Veteran
And1: 364

Post#7 » by benchmobbin02 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:55 am

SacKingZZZ wrote:

But vs centers that use their size and offensive skill effectively like Jokic or Nurkic he was ineffective for the short times he was out there but those are mismatches for even established centers. The bad part is he didn't fair well vs guys like Harrell or Siakam defensively.

There is a ton to unpack in looking at this issue. Was he healthy? Probably only really 75% on avg last year.
Will he get stronger and more experienced? Of course.
He was playing most of his minutes vs backup Cs or small ball bigs so we have to take that into consideration.
And lastly, what will his role be going forward and who will be his front court partner?

Just so much to consider.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#8 » by SacKingZZZ » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:13 am

benchmobbin02 wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:

But vs centers that use their size and offensive skill effectively like Jokic or Nurkic he was ineffective for the short times he was out there but those are mismatches for even established centers. The bad part is he didn't fair well vs guys like Harrell or Siakam defensively.

There is a ton to unpack in looking at this issue. Was he healthy? Probably only really 75% on avg last year.
He was playing most of his minutes vs backup Cs or small ball bigs so we have to take that into consideration.
And lastly, what will his role be going forward and who will be his front court partner?

Most of the issues I saw revolved around team defense. The Kings pick and roll strategy defensively was atrocious. Even Bogdan kind of blasted Joergers game plan in an interview I read.
bleeds_purple
Analyst
And1: 1,809

Post#9 » by bleeds_purple » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:10 am

I think eventually Bagley is gonna split his minutes at PF and C if not play majority of his minutes at C. But he's not gonna be able to do that effectively for a few more years. Ideally we bring in a stop-gap center on a relatively cheap 2-3 year deal. Everyone knows the names that get thrown around here: Lopez, Dedmon. etc.. Those guys fit the bill.
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#10 » by benchmobbin02 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:59 pm

SacKingZZZ wrote:
benchmobbin02 wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:

Most of the issues I saw revolved around team defense. The Kings pick and roll strategy defensively was atrocious. Even Bogdan kind of blasted Joergers game plan in an interview I read.

Of course, effective help and team defense can make a man defense better. But man up, Bags isn't ready for the big boys on a regular basis no matter how good he is using his length.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,533

Post#11 » by codydaze » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:09 pm

What would you guys think about Baynes if we strike out in FA? He would be a cheap, one year option and could be a pretty good fit. He's got some range out to the 3 point line and is a big, bruising presence down low as well. Sounds like Boston is looking to straight salary dump him so we could probably just absorb him for a future second or two.
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#12 » by blind prophet » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:01 pm

codydaze wrote:What would you guys think about Baynes if we strike out in FA? He would be a cheap, one year option and could be a pretty good fit. He's got some range out to the 3 point line and is a big, bruising presence down low as well. Sounds like Boston is looking to straight salary dump him so we could probably just absorb him for a future second or two.

I'm guessing he gets moved earlier in FA or on draft night. Celtics will want the space earlier themselves.

So that makes it a no for me. If we were hurting for depth later I'd be fine with Kosta on the minimum.
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#13 » by blind prophet » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:06 pm

He's low volume too outside.

codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#14 » by codydaze » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:13 pm

blind prophet wrote:
codydaze wrote:What would you guys think about Baynes if we strike out in FA? He would be a cheap, one year option and could be a pretty good fit. He's got some range out to the 3 point line and is a big, bruising presence down low as well. Sounds like Boston is looking to straight salary dump him so we could probably just absorb him for a future second or two.

I'm guessing he gets moved earlier in FA or on draft night. Celtics will want the space earlier themselves.

So that makes it a no for me. If we were hurting for depth later I'd be fine with Kosta on the minimum.

Yeah, I agree he probably gets moved before he's really an option for us.
Kabaum
Sophomore
And1: 198

Post#15 » by Kabaum » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:40 pm

How about a trade with Thunder for Adams? Looks like they want to avoid the luxury tax so we might be able to get him without giving too much back. Adams is one of my favorite players not on the Kings. Great character guy and does what's best for the team. How many rebounds do you think he could average if he wasnt giving them to Westbrook?
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#16 » by City of Trees » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:45 pm

Brook Lopez is Splash Mountain?!??
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#17 » by SacKingZZZ » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:26 pm

benchmobbin02 wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:
benchmobbin02 wrote:

Of course, effective help and team defense can make a man defense better. But man up, Bags isn't ready for the big boys on a regular basis no matter how good he is using his length.

It depends on what you mean by regular basis. Sure against dominant post bigs he'll struggle right now, but he still looked decent last year at times. The truth is he's is going to play plenty of minutes at center in his career. He'll have to. Full time PF's are very rare these days for a reason. So from then on I guess the question becomes how much is having full time center on the roster worth.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#18 » by SacKingZZZ » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:28 pm

bleeds_purple wrote:I think eventually Bagley is gonna split his minutes at PF and C if not play majority of his minutes at C. But he's not gonna be able to do that effectively for a few more years. Ideally we bring in a stop-gap center on a relatively cheap 2-3 year deal. Everyone knows the names that get thrown around here: Lopez, Dedmon. etc.. Those guys fit the bill.

The Kings need a big body somewhere at center for sure. I think physically Bagley should realistically come in next year with a more ready frame. He's fairly developed already. I would think it possible both Bagley and Giles come in with more size next year.
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#19 » by benchmobbin02 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:20 pm

codydaze wrote:
blind prophet wrote:

Am I missing why he wouldn't be an option for us now?
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#20 » by codydaze » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:31 pm

benchmobbin02 wrote:
codydaze wrote:
blind prophet wrote:

Am I missing why he wouldn't be an option for us now?

He could be moved before free agency starts is the point here. We would want to test FA first before making that move.

Return to Sacramento Kings