ImageImageImageImageImage

2020 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,772

2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1 » by BoogieTime » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:44 am

We’re going to need the 2020 draft soon.

Anyone’s opinion on this years class? In particular is this a class where you need to be in the top 5 or just top 8 or so?

Good idea. Moved your post to start the thread.
-City of Trees
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#2 » by City of Trees » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:17 am

College Basketball is well underway and it's the perfect time to start diving into prospect talk.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,507

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#3 » by codydaze » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:02 pm

I haven't watched much college hoops this year, but what direction do you think we'll go in the draft? I think we should be looking at wings most heavily, someone that can create their own shot and create for others. There's the looming possibility we lose Bogi at some point before or during the summer so we'll definitely need to be on the lookout for another ballhandler.

I think Anthony Edwards and RJ Hampton would have to be the pipe dreams at the moment.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#4 » by BoogieTime » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:14 pm

codydaze wrote:I haven't watched much college hoops this year, but what direction do you think we'll go in the draft? I think we should be looking at wings most heavily, someone that can create their own shot and create for others. There's the looming possibility we lose Bogi at some point before or during the summer so we'll definitely need to be on the lookout for another ballhandler.

I think Anthony Edwards and RJ Hampton would have to be the pipe dreams at the moment.

Especially after recent history, I’d first look to go absolute BPA if we get high in the draft, if there is one (even if it means playing two headed PGs a la Cleveland).
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#5 » by City of Trees » Wed Jan 1, 2020 7:23 am

Kings selecting BPA wing is what I'd like to see. Unfortunately, 6'6 wings are hard to come by in this draft. I don't see any value in the top 10 for a wing player. Two players i do like (Tyler Bey and Jordan Nwora) are both older and will likely go late 1st as a result. Bey is one hell of an athlete, plays big at 6'7 but can jump out of the building and throw it down with force- Richaun Holmes force. Nwora can just ball man, he can do it all. I think Bey has more potential while Nwora has the higher floor.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,236

Post#6 » by blind prophet » Thu Jan 2, 2020 4:07 pm

I heard the draft class is weak, as stated above the wings look poor in the top 10 potential prospects.

But we are just 2 games in front of the Knicks who are slated at 3 right now.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#7 » by BoogieTime » Mon Jan 6, 2020 12:12 am

I’m not sure about absolutely no wings. For instance I don’t hate Avdija, and he’s half Serbian. He needs a lot of refinement, but is tough with IQ on both sides, things that aren’t taught.. I can’t imagine Vlade will still be making the picks by that time but he has shown a proclivity for his countrymen if he happens to be
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,971

Post#8 » by dckingsfan » Mon Jan 6, 2020 2:52 pm

I think by weak draft class they mean only two potential superstars at the top. I think this draft looks much better than last years draft in terms of depth (opinion). And I think if you look at the rookie metrics - you can see that last year's draft wasn't all that.

I think that there are going to be a bunch of good prospects in the second round as well (including a bunch of really solid international players that we could potentially stash). And we have four second round picks.

I think we have need at every position. I would take a PG, SF, PF or C. Yogi, Bogdan, Harry and probably Ariza are gone next year. Guessing Dedmon get's traded before the trade deadline or in the off-season.

So, BPA anyone (thoughts?)?
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,716

Post#9 » by kalenclayton » Mon Jan 6, 2020 5:17 pm

dckingsfan wrote:I think by weak draft class they mean only two potential superstars at the top. I think this draft looks much better than last years draft in terms of depth (opinion). And I think if you look at the rookie metrics - you can see that last year's draft wasn't all that.

I think that there are going to be a bunch of good prospects in the second round as well (including a bunch of really solid international players that we could potentially stash). And we have four second round picks.

I think we have need at every position. I would take a PG, SF, PF or C. Yogi, Bogdan, Harry and probably Ariza are gone next year. Guessing Dedmon get's traded before the trade deadline or in the off-season.

So, BPA anyone (thoughts?)?

I actually don’t think Bogdan is gone. I think the best thing you can do is pay him and figure it out later (unless it’s like $22m per year). Remember who is calling the shots too.

I agree that you take BPA. I saw someone tweet about Onyeka Okongwu being his favorite draft prospect, so I looked him up. He looks solid. He could really be a running mate for Bagley if Marvin actually takes the next step. I need to study the rest of the draft though.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,569

Post#10 » by LightTheBeam » Mon Jan 6, 2020 6:51 pm

With all the negativity surrounding our season. The good news is we have all our picks! Wouldn't be surprised to see us ship out any combo of Ariza, Bogdan, Bjelica to try and get 1 or 2 more assets.
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,002

Post#11 » by OGSactownballer » Tue Jan 7, 2020 5:00 am

I feel
Like we have so much youth to develop already that this could be a great opportunity to trade the pick (possibly protected) for an established and locked up star level piece that fits with the young players on our roster.

If you think about it, the contracts we have are very attractive to that type of deal. None of them are too big or too long and almost all have a minimum buy off on the back end. Just the sort of thing that is a great trading chip with the sauce of a pick.

If even go so far as to say swap of picks since there is a lot more available deep than high in this draft.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#12 » by BoogieTime » Tue Jan 7, 2020 8:46 am

OGSactownballer wrote:I feel
Like we have so much youth to develop already that this could be a great opportunity to trade the pick (possibly protected) for an established and locked up star level piece that fits with the young players on our roster.

If you think about it, the contracts we have are very attractive to that type of deal. None of them are too big or too long and almost all have a minimum buy off on the back end. Just the sort of thing that is a great trading chip with the sauce of a pick.

If even go so far as to say swap of picks since there is a lot more available deep than high in this draft.

Any candidates you were thinking of?
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,002

Post#13 » by OGSactownballer » Thu Jan 9, 2020 11:30 pm

BoogieTime wrote:
OGSactownballer wrote:I feel

Any candidates you were thinking of?

I’m not certain just yet.

I know that I am not seeing Drummond here at all. Although he MIGHT work better with the shooters we have (what is missing around him in Detroit), I am afraid that he would block up the operating area for Marvin and Fox where they need to be able to work in the paint. Barnes to because his game is dependent on being able to take advantage of getting to the rim on the drive.

Love is an absolute non-starter for me. He’s too old for our group (I’m thinking young vet @26-28 at most) and his issues (injury and mental) and contract are just all bad. Plus once again you’re talking about clogging space OT not being in the most effective position so it doesn’t work with our roster.

I really wanted Al Horford here. But the money with his age is too much. Harris would be ideal. He is a guy who doesn’t need a lot of touches to produce, plays inside and out. Totally consistent and a strong two way player. I feel like he is actually very much worth the contract he signed. If Philly is dumb enough to keep Horford and move him I would do that in a heart beat.

I also would have no problem moving Buddy to the sixth man spot and pursuing a more consistent two way SG that’s a little bigger.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#14 » by City of Trees » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:31 am

Tyrese Haliburton is a 6'5 point guard with a 7'0 wingspan. Good IQ. Can defend multiple positions. Hits the 3 at a high % already. I don't know if a two point guard line up can work but I sure do like this kid. He is the first lottery prospect i like outside of the top 3 (Edwards/Ball/Wiseman). Check Haliburton out. I think he is going to be a great pro.

kalenclayton
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by kalenclayton » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:38 pm

City of Trees wrote:Tyrese Haliburton is a 6'5 point guard with a 7'0 wingspan. Good IQ. Can defend multiple positions. Hits the 3 at a high % already. I don't know if a two point guard line up can work but I sure do like this kid. He is the first lottery prospect i like outside of the top 3 (Edwards/Ball/Wiseman). Check Haliburton out. I think he is going to be a great pro.

I really like Haliburton and think he could be a good replacement for a lot of what Bogi brings. I don’t think you draft him to be a starter though. He also seems to need the ball quite a bit, which isn’t ideal with Fox on the team.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#16 » by City of Trees » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:41 pm

kalenclayton wrote:
City of Trees wrote:Tyrese Haliburton is a 6'5 point guard with a 7'0 wingspan. Good IQ. Can defend multiple positions. Hits the 3 at a high % already. I don't know if a two point guard line up can work but I sure do like this kid. He is the first lottery prospect i like outside of the top 3 (Edwards/Ball/Wiseman). Check Haliburton out. I think he is going to be a great pro.

I really like Haliburton and think he could be a good replacement for a lot of what Bogi brings. I don’t think you draft him to be a starter though. He also seems to need the ball quite a bit, which isn’t ideal with Fox on the team.
His usage and FGA per 36 is closer to Harrison Barnes than De'Aaron Fox.

Admittedly, I havent watched him live. I'll be looking to see how Iowa State uses him.
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by kalenclayton » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:00 pm

City of Trees wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:

His usage and FGA per 36 is closer to Harrison Barnes than De'Aaron Fox.

Admittedly, I havent watched him live. I'll be looking to see how Iowa State uses him.

I haven’t watched him live either. I’ve just seen some YouTube videos and that’s what I picked up. What I was noticing was that he was really effective when he had the ball. I think he could do well with more usage, but I’m not sure he will be as effective with even less usage than he’s working with right now. Maybe I’m wrong though.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#18 » by City of Trees » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:11 pm

Kalenclayton, here is every score from the game the other night. Appears most of his shots come from playing off ball. Obviously it doesn't paint the full picture.

Read on Twitter
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by kalenclayton » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:12 pm

City of Trees wrote:Kalenclayton, here is every score from the game the other night. Appears most of his shots come from playing off ball. Obviously it doesn't paint the full picture.

Read on Twitter

That looks promising. If he can do that on a consistent basis, I think he could fit with Fox. I still don’t think it’s ideal though. We’ve attached ourselves to Buddy and most likely Bogi as well.
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#20 » by nolang1 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:52 am

kalenclayton wrote:
City of Trees wrote:Kalenclayton, here is every score from the game the other night. Appears most of his shots come from playing off ball. Obviously it doesn't paint the full picture.

Read on Twitter

That looks promising. If he can do that on a consistent basis, I think he could fit with Fox. I still don’t think it’s ideal though. We’ve attached ourselves to Buddy and most likely Bogi as well.

He posted great advanced stats last year as well and the issue with him then was he was too consistent in doing it off-ball rather than creating offense himself (under 10% usage). Regardless of roster fit he would almost certainly be the BPA anywhere from 5-6 on, and in a draft like this, there aren't going to be that many legit players to go around.

Devin Vassell from Florida State is the best 3-D wing in the draft to me. I'd be comfortable taking him in the top 10. Excellent team defender (maybe the best in the draft) and his weaknesses would be that he's skinny (he's a sophomore who's younger than a lot of freshman prospects so has plenty of time to fill out) and more of an off-ball scorer (which is in line with what his role would be on this team anyways).

Return to Sacramento Kings