2020 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: codydaze, KF10, City of Trees

City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#21 » by City of Trees » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:56 am

I dont know how high his ceiling is or if he could even reach it, but what I do know is Haliburton is going to be a good player. He is skilled, smart, and athletic. Perfect secondary role player to Fox.

NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,546

Post#22 » by NYG » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:37 pm

If the best players on board are:

Theo Maledon
RJ Hampton
Jaden McDaniels

Who is Sacramento taking?
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,716

Post#23 » by kalenclayton » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:54 pm

NYG wrote:If the best players on board are:

Theo Maledon
RJ Hampton
Jaden McDaniels

That’s interesting. I’m just starting to get into looking at prospects, so I don’t have my clear selections yet. From what I’ve gathered, I have Hampton as the BPA there, but I see Maledon and McDaniels having higher potential, albeit less likely. Hampton looks like a killer and seems to be the best communicator. His interviews show that he’s a kid who knows what he wants and is quite smart. He’s the most ready of these three players and looks like he could slot in next to Fox as the starting 2 guard. Problem is, the team already has Bogi and Buddy. Because of this, it becomes a little harder to decide on him even though it gives the team flexibility to move one of Buddy/Bogi in the future.

I could see McDaniels getting the nod due to his defensive versatility and shooting stroke. His skill set is in high demand, but his frame is a real concern. He is so thin and I wonder just how much weight he can put on before it becomes a hindrance. Also, what position is he really. 2,3, or 4? He’s the biggest project of these three players. He has the lowest floor of these three players, but if he hits, I think he could be one of the most valuable players in this draft.

Maledon’s potential and open court abilities seem like a good fit long term with the team. His ability to run on the break fits perfectly with Fox. He runs into the same current fit issue that Hampton does (Buddy/Bogi), but his on-court intelligence and overall game could fit well with all three of the Kings’ main guards (Fox, Buddy, Bogi).

If the Kings want BPA, I think they go Hampton. If they want the highest ceiling with a huge risk attached, they will go McDaniels.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,546

Post#24 » by NYG » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:41 pm

kalenclayton wrote:

Theo Maledon
RJ Hampton
Jaden McDaniels

That’s interesting. I’m just starting to get into looking at prospects, so I don’t have my clear selections yet. From what I’ve gathered, I have Hampton as the BPA there, but I see Maledon and McDaniels having higher potential, albeit less likely. Hampton looks like a killer and seems to be the best communicator. His interviews show that he’s a kid who knows what he wants and is quite smart. He’s the most ready of these three players and looks like he could slot in next to Fox as the starting 2 guard. Problem is, the team already has Bogi and Buddy. Because of this, it becomes a little harder to decide on him even though it gives the team flexibility to move one of Buddy/Bogi in the future.

I could see McDaniels getting the nod due to his defensive versatility and shooting stroke. His skill set is in high demand, but his frame is a real concern. He is so thin and I wonder just how much weight he can put on before it becomes a hindrance. Also, what position is he really. 2,3, or 4? He’s the biggest project of these three players. He has the lowest floor of these three players, but if he hits, I think he could be one of the most valuable players in this draft.

Maledon’s potential and open court abilities seem like a good fit long term with the team. His ability to run on the break fits perfectly with Fox. He runs into the same current fit issue that Hampton does (Buddy/Bogi), but his on-court intelligence and overall game could fit well with all three of the Kings’ main guards (Fox, Buddy, Bogi).

If the Kings want BPA, I think they go Hampton. If they want the highest ceiling with a huge risk attached, they will go McDaniels.

If Tyrese Maxey were there, you think that he would go before Hampton?
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant

Post#25 » by kalenclayton » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:26 pm

NYG wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:

Theo Maledon
RJ Hampton
Jaden McDaniels

If Tyrese Maxey were there, you think that he would go before Hampton?

If they are thinking about moving Buddy, then yes. If not, then absolutely no. The team doesn’t need another undersized shooting guard who’s main attribute is scoring.
SmellingColors
Pro Prospect
And1: 139

Post#26 » by SmellingColors » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:06 pm

Just out of curiosity, why not more buzz about Deni Avdija? A 6'8" small forward that can shoot, pass, and has some fire in him. Although I will say both RJ Hampton and Theo Maledon look nice. RJ Hampton moves similarly to Zach Lavine in my eyes.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,760

Post#27 » by BoogieTime » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:19 pm

SmellingColors wrote:Just out of curiosity, why not more buzz about Deni Avdija? A 6'8" small forward that can shoot, pass, and has some fire in him. Although I will say both RJ Hampton and Theo Maledon look nice. RJ Hampton moves similarly to Zach Lavine in my eyes.

I’d be fine with him
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,845

Post#28 » by dckingsfan » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:26 am

BoogieTime wrote:
SmellingColors wrote:Just out of curiosity, why not more buzz about Deni Avdija? A 6'8" small forward that can shoot, pass, and has some fire in him. Although I will say both RJ Hampton and Theo Maledon look nice. RJ Hampton moves similarly to Zach Lavine in my eyes.

I’d be fine with him

Deni Avdija had two more strong games - would have been great games except... 5 TOs in each. He is definitely going to be able to defend SFs at the NBA level and his 3pt shot is looking better and better. "...Kobe wasn't my favorite player..."

BTW, Theo Maledon looked really bad in his last couple of Euro league games shooting a combined 2 of 15. No to Maledon (IMO).
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,760

Post#29 » by BoogieTime » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:33 am

dckingsfan wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:

I’d be fine with him

Deni Avdija had two more strong games - would have been great games except... 5 TOs in each. He is definitely going to be able to defend SFs at the NBA level and his 3pt shot is looking better and better. "...Kobe wasn't my favorite player..."

BTW, Theo Maledon looked really bad in his last couple of Euro league games shooting a combined 2 of 15. No to Maledon (IMO).

He may rise out of our range
Beam Me Up Foxy
Lead Assistant
And1: 655

Post#30 » by Beam Me Up Foxy » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:23 pm

kalenclayton wrote:
City of Trees wrote:Tyrese Haliburton is a 6'5 point guard with a 7'0 wingspan. Good IQ. Can defend multiple positions. Hits the 3 at a high % already. I don't know if a two point guard line up can work but I sure do like this kid. He is the first lottery prospect i like outside of the top 3 (Edwards/Ball/Wiseman). Check Haliburton out. I think he is going to be a great pro.

I really like Haliburton and think he could be a good replacement for a lot of what Bogi brings. I don’t think you draft him to be a starter though. He also seems to need the ball quite a bit, which isn’t ideal with Fox on the team.

I remember the last time that same exact logic was used...

We just need to draft BPA regardless of position. Secondary consideration to fit to the roster(i.e. UPTEMPO player)
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant

Post#31 » by kalenclayton » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:42 pm

Hield of Dreams wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:
City of Trees wrote:Tyrese Haliburton is a 6'5 point guard with a 7'0 wingspan. Good IQ. Can defend multiple positions. Hits the 3 at a high % already. I don't know if a two point guard line up can work but I sure do like this kid. He is the first lottery prospect i like outside of the top 3 (Edwards/Ball/Wiseman). Check Haliburton out. I think he is going to be a great pro.

I really like Haliburton and think he could be a good replacement for a lot of what Bogi brings. I don’t think you draft him to be a starter though. He also seems to need the ball quite a bit, which isn’t ideal with Fox on the team.

We just need to draft BPA regardless of position. Secondary consideration to fit to the roster(i.e. UPTEMPO player)

Word. I’ve come around to loving the idea of Haliburton on the team. The fit thing is whatever at this point.
youngWizzy
Rookie
And1: 481

Post#32 » by youngWizzy » Sat May 9, 2020 2:11 am

Hello everybody,

Tool: https://nbadraftcomp.herokuapp.com

I recently developed an NBA Draft Comparison tool that has gained a good amount of popularity on Twitter by several draft analysts

The tool retrieves similar physical, statistical (per40), and advanced stat comparisons for any player dating back to the 2000 NBA Draft based on their position

Note: Advanced stats only go back to the 2011 Draft and there are currently only limited physical comparisons for some of the 2020 prospects as the combine hasn't reported official measurements. Additionally, if you cannot find a player in the stats, visuals, or advanced pages you can enter their sports-reference url and the site will generate the comparisons then.

If you end up seeing this, any feedback/comments/suggestions that you have or would like me to add a feature to the website is something that I'd appreciate a whole lot. You can dm me here but preferable on twitter:youngwizzydfs and I will respond asap.

The experience is a lot better on desktop/laptop than mobile which is something I am working on right now

If you don't mind sharing the tool with your friends and people that would mean a whole lot as it could lead to potential donations to my site that will help keep it up! Been working on this for a few years now so it's been one hell of a roller coaster ride!

Per 40 stat comparison can be found here: https://nbadraftcomp.herokuapp.com/stats

Advanced stat comparisons can be found here: https://nbadraftcomp.herokuapp.com/advanced

Physical comparisons can be found here: https://nbadraftcomp.herokuapp.com/measurements

A visualizations page which visualizes how a player compares to their position can be found here: https://nbadraftcomp.herokuapp.com/visuals

Twitter: @youngwizzydfs
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#33 » by nolang1 » Tue May 12, 2020 1:47 am

kalenclayton wrote:
Hield of Dreams wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:I really like Haliburton and think he could be a good replacement for a lot of what Bogi brings. I don’t think you draft him to be a starter though. He also seems to need the ball quite a bit, which isn’t ideal with Fox on the team.

Word. I’ve come around to loving the idea of Haliburton on the team. The fit thing is whatever at this point.

As I pointed out in my post on the previous page, it’s not a fit thing as much as it’s about Haliburton being too good to be available where the Kings figure to be picking. If the Kings moved up (even to no. 1) in the lottery I think trading down for Haliburton would be one of the best things they could do, but if they stayed where they are I think there will be decent enough role players available. I would rather take whoever’s there at 12 than give up too much to move up in this draft, especially because if Haliburton’s off the board a wing like Vassell or Okoro would almost certainly be available. One of the few good things that can be said about this Kings season is that they at least didn’t have to wreck their cap or trade away future draft picks for this kind of result, and I think staying put rather than moving a future 1st or something for Haliburton (or anyone else in this draft really) would put them in a better position to trade for whichever star wants out.
youngWizzy
Rookie
And1: 481

Post#34 » by youngWizzy » Sun May 24, 2020 10:05 pm

Hey guys, I just added a new feature to my site that let's you compare two prospects side by side here: https://nbadraftcomp.herokuapp.com/compare

Probably one of the cooler tools I've added.

I also added age as a method for comparing players for per40 and advanced stats which a lot of you requested! You can also choose to add manual measurements on the site as well as pick and choose which measurements you would like to compare physical measurements for players. Also similarity scores for comparisons are on the site as well!

If you don't mind checking it out that'd be amazing!!!!

Twitter: @youngwizzydfs
SmellingColors
Pro Prospect
And1: 139

Post#35 » by SmellingColors » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:20 pm

Right now the mocks that I've seen have us picking one of:

-RJ Hampton
-Precious Achiuwa
-Aaron Nesmith
-Tyrese Haliburton
-Jahmi'us Ramsey

Most of the draft boards had Haliburton going well before where our pick would be though. I thought I saw a mock a while back that had us selecting Okoro, but I couldn't find it. Most of the mocks I saw had us picking Achiuwa. I haven't seen much of him, but unless we're trading Bagley, I really hope we don't pick another PF. That being said, I have no idea who Vlade plans on selecting. Fox is about the only pick he's made that had national consensus behind it. Will be interesting.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#36 » by City of Trees » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:19 am

I really like Devin Vassell. He's my pick at 12. Too bad the Spurs are going to break my heart and steal him before we select.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#37 » by City of Trees » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:40 am

Nesmith is a longer Buddy Heild. Change my mind.
jazanetti
Junior
And1: 45

Post#38 » by jazanetti » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:35 am

City of Trees wrote:Nesmith is a longer Buddy Heild. Change my mind.

+100500. We need to draft this kid!
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,431

Post#39 » by codydaze » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:03 am

I'm on the Patrick Williams bandwagon right now. Athletic combo forward with great defensive potential and can knock down the outside shot.

At 12 I'm happy with Williams, Vassell or Nesmith in that order.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#40 » by City of Trees » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:03 pm

My number one prospect for Sacramento at 12 remains Tyrese Haliburton. Realistically they need to move up and I'd gladly do so.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using RealGM mobile app

Return to Sacramento Kings