Game 38: Sacramento Kings (14-23) @ Phoenix Suns (14-22) - 9:00 PM ET 

Post#1 » by ducler » Tue Jan 7, 2020 8:38 pm

Read on Twitter
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,716

Re: Game 38: Sacramento Kings (14-23) @ Phoenix Suns (14-22) - 9:00 PM ET 

Post#2 » by kalenclayton » Wed Jan 8, 2020 12:21 am

The Kings have to be really, really careful with this one. It’s a super important game for their playoff hopes. If they win this game, they have a chance to be tied for 10th place at the end of the night (MIN + POR losses needed). With Bogi out and Bagley and Holmes doubtful, I’m really curious what Walton will do. If I’m them, I decide that it’s the night to run. 20+ fast break points need to happen. Fox needs to keep attacking, but make his free throws. Hield will be incredibly important.

Some questions:
-Who will step up off the bench?
-Is Ariza going to be a force again?
-Is this the Giles game?
-Can Justin James actually get some minutes?
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant

Post#3 » by kalenclayton » Wed Jan 8, 2020 2:19 am

Vlade is an idiot. “We want to make him earn it.” Did you really have to piss Giles off? He’s gone. We are going to lose him for nothing. He’s outplaying what we will be able to pay him.
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant

Post#4 » by kalenclayton » Wed Jan 8, 2020 2:35 am

Dedmon actually looked serviceable in the first quarter.
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by kalenclayton » Wed Jan 8, 2020 3:04 am

Fox has his worst game of the season two games ago. He’s responded with 3 really good halves. He’s got the killer instinct tonight. I really hope he finishes this game with the same mentality.
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by kalenclayton » Wed Jan 8, 2020 3:30 am

What an abysmal start to the 3rd.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,775

Post#7 » by BoogieTime » Wed Jan 8, 2020 4:04 am

kalenclayton wrote:Vlade is an idiot. “We want to make him earn it.” Did you really have to piss Giles off? He’s gone. We are going to lose him for nothing. He’s outplaying what we will be able to pay him.

Respectfully disagree about Giles. Still very athletically limited IMO, though he throws some nice passes here/there. I’ve yet to come to the conclusion he will be greatly missed. Think Dedmon will get the nod from here on out if he contributes

But that’s as of tonight, who knows how he develops
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,573

Post#8 » by LightTheBeam » Wed Jan 8, 2020 4:34 am

This is the dedmon I've been knowing we could get. Hes good, its unfortunate that holmes took his spot and he couldnt find minutes (although I'm beyond happy with holmes). I figured he could get going at some pt.

Joseph and ariza have played great ball lately, hitting their 3s. Exactly what we needed from those guys.

Hoping this comeback brings the team together, we get some health and go on a bit of a roll.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#9 » by SacKingZZZ » Wed Jan 8, 2020 5:18 am

BoogieTime wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:Vlade is an idiot. “We want to make him earn it.” Did you really have to piss Giles off? He’s gone. We are going to lose him for nothing. He’s outplaying what we will be able to pay him.

Respectfully disagree about Giles. Still very athletically limited IMO, though he throws some nice passes here/there. I’ve yet to come to the conclusion he will be greatly missed. Think Dedmon will get the nod from here on out if he contributes

Against Ayton it really showed you why the Kings staff was so disappointed in Giles after this summer. He has to put on some mass. Same with Bagley. Both obviously have higher ceilings than Dedmon but he's physically capable of standing up to a strong wind. Giles isn't. Bagley is a little more sturdy but he's got to hit the gym this summer too.
Lost in LA
Pro Prospect
And1: 160

Post#10 » by Lost in LA » Wed Jan 8, 2020 5:36 am

Once again, better without Bagley
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by kalenclayton » Wed Jan 8, 2020 3:16 pm

Lost in LA wrote:Once again, better without Bagley

While I currently agree and their 2-7 record with him confirms it, I don’t think it will be the case for very long. As long as he has this work ethic, he should be able to fix the issues that he has. He has the tools to be really, really good. He’s just young and not ready. He has also been thrown into the fire way too early because of his draft pedigree. I really don’t think he should be playing more than 15 mpg until he at least learns to rotate on D. I think he will be fine though. It’s not his fault he got drafted at 2.
bleeds_purple
Analyst
And1: 1,809

Post#12 » by bleeds_purple » Wed Jan 8, 2020 5:38 pm

kalenclayton wrote:

While I currently agree and their 2-7 record with him confirms it, I don’t think it will be the case for very long. As long as he has this work ethic, he should be able to fix the issues that he has. He has the tools to be really, really good. He’s just young and not ready. He has also been thrown into the fire way too early because of his draft pedigree. I really don’t think he should be playing more than 15 mpg until he at least learns to rotate on D. I think he will be fine though. It’s not his fault he got drafted at 2.

What work ethic exactly? He has looked exactly the same from last year didn't seem to add anything to his game. As of right now there is not a single thing he brings to the game that is useful if we're being honest. I withhold final judgment until he can actually be healthy on the floor but for right now I do not have my hopes up he will be anything in this league.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,775

Post#13 » by BoogieTime » Wed Jan 8, 2020 6:20 pm

bleeds_purple wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:

What work ethic exactly? He has looked exactly the same from last year didn't seem to add anything to his game. As of right now there is not a single thing he brings to the game that is useful if we're being honest. I withhold final judgment until he can actually be healthy on the floor but for right now I do not have my hopes up he will be anything in this league.

He’s known for his work ethic/motor. This summer he worked with Rico Hines/went to that camp with Fox/team USA and had some social media detailing his progress. I don’t think it will come down to work for him, but how teachable game feel and BBIQ are. He’s not good currently but at this point I think we are past the object being winning/playoffs, but development . Hope he ends the year strong, it will be a reason to watch
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,536

Post#14 » by codydaze » Wed Jan 8, 2020 7:27 pm

SacKingZZZ wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:

Against Ayton it really showed you why the Kings staff was so disappointed in Giles after this summer. He has to put on some mass. Same with Bagley. Both obviously have higher ceilings than Dedmon but he's physically capable of standing up to a strong wind. Giles isn't. Bagley is a little more sturdy but he's got to hit the gym this summer too.

I just think it's more of a case of him playing out of position at the 5. I think he'll ultimately be most successful playing the 4. He might be a little slower to match up with the smaller, quicker 4s but he has good length to make up for it and you can put together defensive schemes to mitigate some of that as well. I'd like to see him sharing the floor with Holmes more.
bleeds_purple
Analyst
And1: 1,809

Post#15 » by bleeds_purple » Wed Jan 8, 2020 7:48 pm

When Bagley comes back we better see some #wetbandits action or I will pull out what little hair I have left.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,573

Post#16 » by LightTheBeam » Wed Jan 8, 2020 8:38 pm

codydaze wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:Respectfully disagree about Giles. Still very athletically limited IMO, though he throws some nice passes here/there. I’ve yet to come to the conclusion he will be greatly missed. Think Dedmon will get the nod from here on out if he contributes

I just think it's more of a case of him playing out of position at the 5. I think he'll ultimately be most successful playing the 4. He might be a little slower to match up with the smaller, quicker 4s but he has good length to make up for it and you can put together defensive schemes to mitigate some of that as well. I'd like to see him sharing the floor with Holmes more.

This is without a doubt. People are being way to rough on him. He got injured the first game, came back and was shaking off the rust. Then Walton decided to wise up and play him at the 4 next to Holmes. That last game against Minnesota (I was at that game) he showed a ton of strengths playing next to Holmes.

Playing him at center was a mistake. Even worse when he was playing center we were typically running Barnes and Ariza at the 3/4. He should always be playing with one of Holmes, Giles, Dedmon or at least Bjelica.

Return to Sacramento Kings