ImageImageImageImageImage

Harry Giles

Moderators: codydaze, City of Trees, KF10

darbstar
Junior
Posts: 282
And1: 13
Joined: Jun 17, 2001

Harry Giles 

Post#1 » by darbstar » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:50 am

How is Harry Giles going?

Why did the Kings not pick up his option for next year?
kalenclayton
Analyst
Posts: 3,157
And1: 903
Joined: Feb 13, 2014
   

Re: Harry Giles 

Post#2 » by kalenclayton » Sun Mar 1, 2020 8:10 pm

darbstar wrote:How is Harry Giles going?

Why did the Kings not pick up his option for next year?

The FO said that they wanted to make Giles earn it. There were rumors that Giles came into camp overweight as well. That’s about all I have. I thought it was a stupid decision in the first place. I’m not back there making the decisions though.
BoogieTime
Veteran
Posts: 2,966
And1: 1,092
Joined: Feb 09, 2017
 

Re: Harry Giles 

Post#3 » by BoogieTime » Sun Mar 1, 2020 8:57 pm

kalenclayton wrote:
darbstar wrote:How is Harry Giles going?

Why did the Kings not pick up his option for next year?

The FO said that they wanted to make Giles earn it. There were rumors that Giles came into camp overweight as well. That’s about all I have. I thought it was a stupid decision in the first place. I’m not back there making the decisions though.


He’s not a center or power forward at this time. Doesn’t have the body or rim protection for center. Athleticism still subpar.

He’s played better recently, but I still don’t think it’s a big loss, yet
SmellingColors
Senior
Posts: 544
And1: 67
Joined: Dec 14, 2010

Re: Harry Giles 

Post#4 » by SmellingColors » Sun Mar 1, 2020 9:55 pm

BoogieTime wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:
darbstar wrote:How is Harry Giles going?

Why did the Kings not pick up his option for next year?

The FO said that they wanted to make Giles earn it. There were rumors that Giles came into camp overweight as well. That’s about all I have. I thought it was a stupid decision in the first place. I’m not back there making the decisions though.


He’s not a center or power forward at this time. Doesn’t have the body or rim protection for center. Athleticism still subpar.

He’s played better recently, but I still don’t think it’s a big loss, yet


I can see that, but his passing and vision can really glue a lineup together. His mid-range has been really good the last few games as well. I think that's due more to consistent playing time. His big problem to me is his tendency to foul, but maybe that's because he's undersized for a center.
BoogieTime
Veteran
Posts: 2,966
And1: 1,092
Joined: Feb 09, 2017
 

Re: Harry Giles 

Post#5 » by BoogieTime » Mon Mar 2, 2020 2:43 am

SmellingColors wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:The FO said that they wanted to make Giles earn it. There were rumors that Giles came into camp overweight as well. That’s about all I have. I thought it was a stupid decision in the first place. I’m not back there making the decisions though.


He’s not a center or power forward at this time. Doesn’t have the body or rim protection for center. Athleticism still subpar.

He’s played better recently, but I still don’t think it’s a big loss, yet


I can see that, but his passing and vision can really glue a lineup together. His mid-range has been really good the last few games as well. I think that's due more to consistent playing time. His big problem to me is his tendency to foul, but maybe that's because he's undersized for a center.


True. He is a good passer with good IQ. He’s a bit of a polarizing player, where I know some fans really love him. I like interior D/Rebounding so, for instance, I’d like Len to get the backup minutes over Harry when Richaun comes back, and would look to retain him (for hopefully around the price as Harry’s last year). But others may feel different
snowman
Pro Prospect
Posts: 769
And1: 448
Joined: Jun 08, 2009
     

Re: Harry Giles 

Post#6 » by snowman » Thu Jul 9, 2020 11:13 am

What are the odds that Giles is in a Kings uniform next season ?
kalenclayton
Analyst
Posts: 3,157
And1: 903
Joined: Feb 13, 2014
   

Re: Harry Giles 

Post#7 » by kalenclayton » Thu Jul 9, 2020 5:32 pm

snowman wrote:What are the odds that Giles is in a Kings uniform next season ?

It feels like he’s gone, but you can’t help but see that he loves the city and it’s fans. There is real mutual love there. It just comes down to how much teams will be willing to pay for a young big who’s knees scare everyone. If the Kings can still offer him a role for the playoffs and potentially bleed that into next year, I think there’s a chance (like 25%... not that good). Otherwise, he will likely look for greener pastures. I really want to see him stay because I see the potential. I just know that a guy who’s dealt with major injuries would probably be looking to secure a lengthy deal over a one-year “prove it” deal with the Kings.
User avatar
Sacramento_King
Rookie
Posts: 1,100
And1: 69
Joined: May 27, 2005
     

Re: Harry Giles 

Post#8 » by Sacramento_King » Thu Jul 9, 2020 5:50 pm

Considering a guy like Jabari Parker who has similar issues signed last year for 2/13, Looney got 3/14, Bobby Fricking Portis got 1/15, Nene got 2/20 and Mike Scott got 2/9.8, I would say if it is money, we have no chance. Sure he has knee concerns but he has upside and does a offer great passing and a high BB IQ so to imagine someone wont offer over a 1 /4 milly deal is ridiculous. Just an idiotic move by front office.

Return to Sacramento Kings