ImageImageImageImageImage

Kings offseason in review - Grades

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,573

Kings offseason in review - Grades 

Post#1 » by LightTheBeam » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:11 pm

Drafted Haliburton at #12 - A bit of luck for him to fall to us, but glad to see that Monte didn't pass on him for someone like Poku. It was an easy choice and love the fit.
Grade: A+

Traded #35 for #40 + future 2nd, drafted Woodard at #40. I don't much follow the guys outside the top 20. But I believe it was the ring which said some of their guys had him as a top 20 pick. Good size, and a position of need.
Grade: B+

Drafted Ramsey at #43. I think it was also the Ringer who said one of their guys had Ramsey as a lotto talent. I don't think anyone else did but I love the high upside pick at that range. Could be a nice 3&D
Grade - B+

Didn't match Bogdan 4/72 - This one stings. Had we been able to complete the trade with Milwaukee I would have said that Monte absolutely killed the offseason. The Bucks trading for Jrue, and us wanting to maintain flexibility really tied our hands with this one.
Grade: D-

Signing Whiteside for Vet Min: Tough for me to grade this one. On one hand I like it. Cheap vet signing, he definitely provides more than this contract. On the other hand, are we tanking or trying to win? I guess Monte is trying his best to put us in a position where we can decide what to do at the deadline?
Grade - C+

Signing Kamisky: Low impact. Can't defend anything, isn't a real great 3pt shooter. Don't love the signing, would have preferred a Skal reunion but I guess for a 3rd stringer it is what it is.
Grade - C

Overall grade - B- : kinda an expected offseason. Lucking out with Haliburton and overall good draft makes it a win. But don't really love anything we did in free agency.

What kind of grades you guys handing out?
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Re: Kings offseason in review - Grades 

Post#2 » by City of Trees » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:41 pm

For additional context I would like to add McNair was Derrick Jones Jr. first call at the begining of free agency.

Money offered was limited by the cap situation.

Certainly McNair doesn't get credit here but the information is useful when evaluating his vision for the team.
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#3 » by nolang1 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:04 am

Strategy-wise it was exactly what a team in Sacramento’s position should look to do: draft the BPA and not try to make an immediate splash in free agency but scoop up the solid players who are left after the music stops playing. The ‘worst’ move was letting a bench player walk on a negative contract, and even then they had a sign-and-trade lined up that fell through by no fault of their own.

The team’s 9-10 deep with legit NBA players, which should help them stay competitive in a regular season where the games are more crammed together and the teams that had deep playoff runs are only getting a couple months to rest. If they fall off and decide to tank, they have plenty of established veterans on cheap deals they can deal to contending teams.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,246

Post#4 » by blind prophet » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:38 pm

RipPizzaGuy wrote:Drafted Haliburton at #12 - A bit of luck for him to fall to us, but glad to see that Monte didn't pass on him for someone like Poku. It was an easy choice and love the fit.

Traded #35 for #40 + future 2nd, drafted Woodard at #40. I don't much follow the guys outside the top 20. But I believe it was the ring which said some of their guys had him as a top 20 pick. Good size, and a position of need.

Drafted Ramsey at #43. I think it was also the Ringer who said one of their guys had Ramsey as a lotto talent. I don't think anyone else did but I love the high upside pick at that range. Could be a nice 3&D
Grade - B+

Didn't match Bogdan 4/72 - This one stings. Had we been able to complete the trade with Milwaukee I would have said that Monte absolutely killed the offseason. The Bucks trading for Jrue, and us wanting to maintain flexibility really tied our hands with this one.

Signing Whiteside for Vet Min: Tough for me to grade this one. On one hand I like it. Cheap vet signing, he definitely provides more than this contract. On the other hand, are we tanking or trying to win? I guess Monte is trying his best to put us in a position where we can decide what to do at the deadline?
Grade - C+

Signing Kamisky: Low impact. Can't defend anything, isn't a real great 3pt shooter. Don't love the signing, would have preferred a Skal reunion but I guess for a 3rd stringer it is what it is.
Grade - C

Overall grade - B- : kinda an expected offseason. Lucking out with Haliburton and overall good draft makes it a win. But don't really love anything we did in free agency.

12th pick
Keep it simple draft BPA, someone who fits with who we think our franchise player is
A.... his agent making sure he is at 12 now = A+

Trade 35 for 40 for future then draft Woodard
Likely still got the guy McNair wanted, Woodard is a great prospect defensively at the wing
A

Ramsey at 43
Scoring potential off the bench at guard who has a shot to make the team, we could use it
B

Trading 52 for a worse future second and Cash
Freaking Vivek
F

Let Bogi go
The asset loss was letting him stay on the team past deadline. If Vlade did this, I'd give him an F. With McNair and the trade kicker I'm going to give him an A+

That contract is going to be a net negative, and it was a hard fold. Returning assets even if he improves wouldn't be much on that salary, taking a 4 year gamble, clogging development of others and less cap.

Masterful fold

Whiteside

Guy who doesn't fit our time line, but plays some D and boards at a high level. For the minimum? Maybe even move at the deadline if a contender has positional injury loss or need.

A

Kaminsky

Veteran 4/5 who can hit the 3, non guaranteed? Pretty nice, can balance with Holmes or Bagley, wonder how potent he could be with Bjelica?

No loss here at the price, read Whitside for possible flip by deadline.

B+

Side show rant

Irritated McNair didn't seize the Batum opportunity to get out of the Barnes contract.

I'm pretty happy so far.
sackings916
Assistant Coach
And1: 623

Post#5 » by sackings916 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:25 pm

City of Trees wrote:For additional context I would like to add McNair was Derrick Jones Jr. first call at the begining of free agency.

Money offered was limited by the cap situation.

Certainly McNair doesn't get credit here but the information is useful when evaluating his vision for the team.

Would’ve been nice to add an athlete like DJJ to our bench to run with Fox and Haliburtin. He was who I wanted at the start of FA.
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,002

Post#6 » by OGSactownballer » Tue Dec 1, 2020 5:26 pm

blind prophet wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:Drafted Haliburton at #12 - A bit of luck for him to fall to us, but glad to see that Monte didn't pass on him for someone like Poku. It was an easy choice and love the fit.

Grade - B+

Grade - C+

Grade - C

12th pick
Keep it simple draft BPA, someone who fits with who we think our franchise player is
A.... his agent making sure he is at 12 now = A+

Trade 35 for 40 for future then draft Woodard
Likely still got the guy McNair wanted, Woodard is a great prospect defensively at the wing
A

Ramsey at 43
Scoring potential off the bench at guard who has a shot to make the team, we could use it
B

Trading 52 for a worse future second and Cash
Freaking Vivek
F

Let Bogi go
The asset loss was letting him stay on the team past deadline. If Vlade did this, I'd give him an F. With McNair and the trade kicker I'm going to give him an A+

That contract is going to be a net negative, and it was a hard fold. Returning assets even if he improves wouldn't be much on that salary, taking a 4 year gamble, clogging development of others and less cap.

Masterful fold

Whiteside

Guy who doesn't fit our time line, but plays some D and boards at a high level. For the minimum? Maybe even move at the deadline if a contender has positional injury loss or need.

A

Kaminsky

Veteran 4/5 who can hit the 3, non guaranteed? Pretty nice, can balance with Holmes or Bagley, wonder how potent he could be with Bjelica?

No loss here at the price, read Whitside for possible flip by deadline.

B+

Side show rant

Irritated McNair didn't seize the Batum opportunity to get out of the Barnes contract.

I'm pretty happy so far.

You and I are basically in exactly the same page with all of this.

I will add that picking up GR3 on a minimum/partial guarantee is a complete steal and enables movement of Barnes with little to no fall off at the SF.

I give an overall A for this off-season as virtually everything was maxed for its potential and no irrevocable mistakes were made.

I think that as time goes in we will begin to realize that this is more of an expectation for an offseason in a normally run franchise rather than the poo poo platter we have seen in the past.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,536

Post#7 » by codydaze » Tue Dec 1, 2020 5:46 pm

I would give the offseason as a whole a solid B. Getting nothing in return for Bogdan limits how high that grade can go even though I completely understand the reasoning of why it ultimately was for the best.

Started with a great draft, never thought Haliburton would slip to 12 and I really like the second round selections as well. Locking up Fox was a no brainer as he's the face of the franchise and we can get any questions of is he staying or going out of the way. I wasn't thrilled about the idea of Whiteside on this team but on a one year minimum, that's great value and I can live with it. Kaminsky is a meh piece, will probably be a towel waver but the GR3 signing was another that I really liked.

Mcnair executed his plan as far as maintaining flexibility and clearly had an idea of how he wanted to assemble this team. I'm happy with the offseason.

Return to Sacramento Kings