Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,533

Re: 2021 College Basketball / Draft THREAD 

Post#41 » by codydaze » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:36 pm

kalenclayton wrote:
OGSactownballer wrote:If I am Monty McNair I have zero problems trading my 2021, ‘23 & ‘25 FRP with no protection on one of the latter two and Top 3 only on the other for whoever has this years number one or number two to secure Mobley.

Reasoning being it secures the missing impact piece we need on the inside to put with Fix and Hali and if that goes well we won’t have room for those picks on the roster through that period anyway.

Also can always trade in the future to get one of those years back if needed.

Edit: This would of course be AFTER the order is set.

Too much is going out here. I understand you like Mobley, but are we certain he’s a sure thing? There was a consensus that Trae and Luka had NBA roles and we saw just one pick involved in their swap (‘18 #3 for ‘18 #5 + ‘19 protected). One note is that the Kings pick will likely be between 6 and 12, so that it’s expected that the price to move up will be a higher. The only top-3 trades we have examples for in recent years are the 2018 trade and 2017 one (BOS sent #1 to PHI for #3 and ‘18 OR ‘19 1st).

We don’t have a good recent example of seeing a team jump from 6 or lower trading up to 1 or 2, but I don’t think it’s worth it to mortgage the future heavily for a player that is a big unknown and not a sure superstar.

Edit: the closest recent example we have is the 2011 draft. LAC sent #1 (Kyrie) and Baron Davis to CLE for Mo Williams and Jamario Moon. Still very different from our situation, but it is someone sending a top pick for tremendous salary relief and a good player.

I'm very high on Mobley, I think he's going to be the best player from this draft, but I wouldn't send out two additional first round picks like that to bring him in. Just hope the lottery gods bless us and if not, explore your other options.
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,002

Post#42 » by OGSactownballer » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:09 am

codydaze wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:
OGSactownballer wrote:If I am Monty McNair I have zero problems trading my 2021, ‘23 & ‘25 FRP with no protection on one of the latter two and Top 3 only on the other for whoever has this years number one or number two to secure Mobley.

Reasoning being it secures the missing impact piece we need on the inside to put with Fix and Hali and if that goes well we won’t have room for those picks on the roster through that period anyway.

Also can always trade in the future to get one of those years back if needed.

Edit: This would of course be AFTER the order is set.

Too much is going out here. I understand you like Mobley, but are we certain he’s a sure thing? There was a consensus that Trae and Luka had NBA roles and we saw just one pick involved in their swap (‘18 #3 for ‘18 #5 + ‘19 protected). One note is that the Kings pick will likely be between 6 and 12, so that it’s expected that the price to move up will be a higher. The only top-3 trades we have examples for in recent years are the 2018 trade and 2017 one (BOS sent #1 to PHI for #3 and ‘18 OR ‘19 1st).

We don’t have a good recent example of seeing a team jump from 6 or lower trading up to 1 or 2, but I don’t think it’s worth it to mortgage the future heavily for a player that is a big unknown and not a sure superstar.

Edit: the closest recent example we have is the 2011 draft. LAC sent #1 (Kyrie) and Baron Davis to CLE for Mo Williams and Jamario Moon. Still very different from our situation, but it is someone sending a top pick for tremendous salary relief and a good player.

I'm very high on Mobley, I think he's going to be the best player from this draft, but I wouldn't send out two additional first round picks like that to bring him in. Just hope the lottery gods bless us and if not, explore your other options.

OK so maybe too much but to move up from (assuming either back of lotto or play in level) out spot it will take some sweetener and like was stated throwing in Bagley or similar isn’t that with this draft’s hype level.

I’d think that at minimum it is this year and ‘23 and a pick swap either in between or in ‘24 to get it done.

Of course I am talking about moving up to one. And the T - Wolves were exactly who I was thinking might go for it and would be interested in Bagley for bad money as a part of the swap.
VeeJay24
Starter
And1: 11

Post#43 » by VeeJay24 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:13 am

Can't see the Wolves passing up a chance to take Cade or Suggs who I think are the perfect fits for their team. Only way the Kings could pry that pick from them is Fox and no one wants to do that. But that is ok, I think Scottie Barnes is what this team needs an athletic forward who you can line up at 3 or 4, who is a great defender and can facilitate. He is an energetic player who plays hard and with urgency. He is a winner and like Haliburton his defensive IQ is off the charts. Barnes can probably guard 1-5 and would be nice in the frontcourt with Holmes. He would have to work hard on his shooting but that is fixable as we have already witnessed with Fox. Thing is they may need to move up to 6 to get him. Which is doable coming from the 10-15 range. Beyond that I say go with Jalen Johnson, Moses Moody or Zaire Williams. All have length, Johnson is more of a facilitator who will need to develop his shooting where as Moody and Zaire already can shoot and have a more developed offensive skill set. Moody is also a good defender. Of course, if the Kings are in the Lottery we all hope for some magic and maybe the Basketball guards will smile on the Kings due to the fact they didn't tank and gave it shot!!!
Sportz Gza
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,716

Post#44 » by kalenclayton » Wed Apr 7, 2021 1:24 am

Something I am not understanding is how Sandro Mamukelashvili is not higher on draft boards. I’ve seen him projected as a late 2nd rounder-undrafted. This guy is really good. I understand his age and athleticism are probably the biggest factors in his draft positioning, but big men who flash the skill he has usually get more attention. I think he could be really good in the modern NBA. At 6’11”, he can handle, pass, shoot, drive, and make good decisions (good IQ on both ends). As with most prospects I see these days, his defense can use some work, but it’s not like he’s terrible. He plays hard, knows where his man is, and makes good reads. His athleticism is the downfall.

I’m not saying he has the skill of the following players, but I see flashes of Lamar Odom, Boogie Cousins, Kelly Olynyk, and Nikola Jokic.

He’d be a great fit on the Kings.

nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#45 » by nolang1 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:03 pm

VeeJay24 wrote:Can't see the Wolves passing up a chance to take Cade or Suggs who I think are the perfect fits for their team. Only way the Kings could pry that pick from them is Fox and no one wants to do that. But that is ok, I think Scottie Barnes is what this team needs an athletic forward who you can line up at 3 or 4, who is a great defender and can facilitate. He is an energetic player who plays hard and with urgency. He is a winner and like Haliburton his defensive IQ is off the charts. Barnes can probably guard 1-5 and would be nice in the frontcourt with Holmes. He would have to work hard on his shooting but that is fixable as we have already witnessed with Fox. Thing is they may need to move up to 6 to get him. Which is doable coming from the 10-15 range. Beyond that I say go with Jalen Johnson, Moses Moody or Zaire Williams. All have length, Johnson is more of a facilitator who will need to develop his shooting where as Moody and Zaire already can shoot and have a more developed offensive skill set. Moody is also a good defender. Of course, if the Kings are in the Lottery we all hope for some magic and maybe the Basketball guards will smile on the Kings due to the fact they didn't tank and gave it shot!!!

Yeah I definitely get the Haliburton comparisons with Barnes where it just seems inevitable he'll slide for "he's not a go-to scorer" reasons and look like a steal right off the bat. I like Franz Wagner just as much, if not even more, since he's younger and is more of a shooter, and if we're assuming the Kings draft around 12th I hope that his last game in the tournament caused teams to cool on him.
SmellingColors
Pro Prospect
And1: 139

Post#46 » by SmellingColors » Fri Apr 9, 2021 1:12 am

kalenclayton wrote:Something I am not understanding is how Sandro Mamukelashvili is not higher on draft boards. I’ve seen him projected as a late 2nd rounder-undrafted. This guy is really good. I understand his age and athleticism are probably the biggest factors in his draft positioning, but big men who flash the skill he has usually get more attention. I think he could be really good in the modern NBA. At 6’11”, he can handle, pass, shoot, drive, and make good decisions (good IQ on both ends). As with most prospects I see these days, his defense can use some work, but it’s not like he’s terrible. He plays hard, knows where his man is, and makes good reads. His athleticism is the downfall.

I’m not saying he has the skill of the following players, but I see flashes of Lamar Odom, Boogie Cousins, Kelly Olynyk, and Nikola Jokic.

He’d be a great fit on the Kings.

I really did not expect him to move as fluidly as he does. Seems like a really strong passer as well. Definitely one to keep an eye on.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,775

Post#47 » by BoogieTime » Thu May 6, 2021 2:35 am

I’ve only taken a cursory look at the consensus top 5 this year, and I’m not mad that we are giving a competitive effort to make the play in
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#48 » by BoogieTime » Thu May 20, 2021 6:50 pm

Ive only seen a small clip, but Josh Giddey is nice.

Whether or not he can play forward or primarily without the ball not sure, but thumbs up for the BBIQ displayed
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#49 » by BoogieTime » Fri May 21, 2021 4:16 am

Thumbs up also for Davion Mitchell's floor, just wish he played another position
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#50 » by BoogieTime » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:55 am

We're not jumping up for not tanking properly. If Vivek is pulling strings to contend he needs to be outed. I hope that McNair is in full control and just didn't like the deals coming across his table

On the other hand Ive given my opinion on the "top 5" of this draft on the T/T board constantly. Cunningham/Suggs are combo tweeners without athleticism and don't see the floor at a top notch. Green/Kuminga are raw. Mobley a thin, thin player coming from a program that just made Okongwu look like a premier prospect (not to say they aren't solid prospects that can be good players, just don't have them in esteem for a top 5)

No strong problem not jumping, And I like a few of the prospects in our region
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#51 » by City of Trees » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:04 am

Death, taxes, and the Cleveland Cavaliers moving up in the lottery :(
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#52 » by BoogieTime » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:59 pm

Kuminga will be dropping to our range, just as I said Toppin was dropping last year (not saying I like it)
SmellingColors
Pro Prospect

Post#53 » by SmellingColors » Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:18 pm

BoogieTime wrote:Kuminga will be dropping to our range, just as I said Toppin was dropping last year (not saying I like it)

I don't know about this. The Magic are clearly in a rebuild and have 2 picks before the Kings. I can't imagine they don't use one of those picks on Kuminga unless they go with Scottie Barnes at one of those spots, but then I imagine the Thunder would take on Kuminga at 6 if available.

Kuminga at 9 would be a huge steal imo even though he'll be a project.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#54 » by codydaze » Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:13 pm

BoogieTime wrote:Kuminga will be dropping to our range, just as I said Toppin was dropping last year (not saying I like it)

It would be fantastic if Kuminga dropped to 9 but I highly doubt it happens. I'm looking to move down in this draft, the guys projected 6-25 don't have a huge difference in value in my opinion.

My trade down targets are Joel Ayayi, JT Thor, Isaiah Livers and Marcus Garrett.
kb02
Bench Warmer
And1: 631

Post#55 » by kb02 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:11 pm

codydaze wrote:

It would be fantastic if Kuminga dropped to 9 but I highly doubt it happens. I'm looking to move down in this draft, the guys projected 6-25 don't have a huge difference in value in my opinion.

My trade down targets are Joel Ayayi, JT Thor, Isaiah Livers and Marcus Garrett.

Can see Bouknight, Mitchell, and Sengun going before 9. So Kuminga dropping is possible.

Trade down targets: Donsumu, Butler, Herb Jones.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#56 » by BoogieTime » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:57 pm

codydaze wrote:

Ive heard iterations of moving down for the Thunder's picks mentioned by a lot of Kings fans
jazanetti
Junior
And1: 45

Post#57 » by jazanetti » Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:12 am

It would be nice if someone from top6 falls to #9. If not, Keon Johnson and Jalen Johnson are my targets.
If trading down I would look at Ziaire Williams.
We need to go for max available upside.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using RealGM mobile app
SmellingColors
Pro Prospect

Post#58 » by SmellingColors » Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:18 pm

If we trade down or acquire a late teens first round pick another way, I'd take a hard look at Usman Garuba. His defensive versatility is at least in the mold of a Scottie Barnes type. Really good lateral quickness and defensive IQ. Good passing instincts as well.

He's super raw offensively and may struggle to initially stay on the court because of it, but we need guys like that when they get switched on the perimeter.

My targets at #9 at this point are...

Probably won't fall:
-Barnes
-Kuminga

May be there:
-Wagner
-Jalen Johnson
- Moody

Probably there:
-Keon Johnson
-Giddey
-Sengun
-Williams
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#59 » by codydaze » Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:21 pm

SmellingColors wrote:If we trade down or acquire a late teens first round pick another way, I'd take a hard look at Usman Garuba. His defensive versatility is at least in the mold of a Scottie Barnes type. Really good lateral quickness and defensive IQ. Good passing instincts as well.

He's super raw offensively and may struggle to initially stay on the court because of it, but we need guys like that when they get switched on the perimeter.

My targets at #9 at this point are...

Probably won't fall:
-Barnes
-Kuminga

May be there:
-Wagner
-Jalen Johnson
- Moody

Probably there:
-Keon Johnson
-Giddey
-Sengun
-Williams

I have a feeling Garuba is going top 10. The 6 through 20 prospects in this draft don't have a lot of variance in my opinion so I think someone will jump on that potential.
kb02
Bench Warmer
And1: 631

Post#60 » by kb02 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:24 pm

My tiers:

Generational, game changing talent: NONE

Good, sometimes all stars, maybe great players if it clicks: Mobley, Green, Cunningham, Bouknight, Barnes, Kuminga, Jalen Johnson, and Sengun.

Players, who fans will love: Davion Mitchell

Overrated: Kispert and Moody.

Underrated, will be ten year pros: Jared Butler, Ayo Donsumu, and Herb Jones.

Realistic wish list: Bouknight, Jalen Johnson, Sengun @ 9. 39: Praying for Herb Jones.

Return to Sacramento Kings