ImageImageImageImageImage

2021 College Basketball / Draft THREAD

Moderators: codydaze, KF10, City of Trees

User avatar
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
Posts: 4,287
And1: 3,072
Joined: Jul 06, 2013
Location: Sacramento, CA
     

Re: 2021 College Basketball / Draft THREAD 

Post#21 » by codydaze » Sun Feb 7, 2021 12:53 am

City of Trees wrote:Kings find themselves at .500 with almost 1/3 of the season complete. Landing a Top 5 pick is still alive however I don't see it happening without a major injury. I think the Kings finish in the 8-13 range


Yeah, we pretty much need to pray to the lottery gods to land a top 4 pick at this point. If we were to end up finishing at 10 and then win the play in game, how does that work though?
nolang1
Analyst
Posts: 3,744
And1: 1,671
Joined: Aug 03, 2012

Re: 2021 College Basketball / Draft THREAD 

Post#22 » by nolang1 » Sun Feb 7, 2021 1:01 am

codydaze wrote:
City of Trees wrote:Kings find themselves at .500 with almost 1/3 of the season complete. Landing a Top 5 pick is still alive however I don't see it happening without a major injury. I think the Kings finish in the 8-13 range


Yeah, we pretty much need to pray to the lottery gods to land a top 4 pick at this point. If we were to end up finishing at 10 and then win the play in game, how does that work though?


Lotto position is locked in before that, and then whoever wins the play in game is a playoff team slotted with the other playoff teams in reverse order of record.
SmellingColors
Senior
Posts: 726
And1: 129
Joined: Dec 14, 2010

Re: 2021 College Basketball / Draft THREAD 

Post#23 » by SmellingColors » Sun Feb 7, 2021 1:38 am

nolang1 wrote:
codydaze wrote:
City of Trees wrote:Kings find themselves at .500 with almost 1/3 of the season complete. Landing a Top 5 pick is still alive however I don't see it happening without a major injury. I think the Kings finish in the 8-13 range


Yeah, we pretty much need to pray to the lottery gods to land a top 4 pick at this point. If we were to end up finishing at 10 and then win the play in game, how does that work though?


Draft position is locked in before that.


Tankathon says all non-playoff teams go to the lottery so I think the play-in also determines draft position.

http://www.tankathon.com/pick_odds

EDIT: Whoops. Didn't see your edit.
nolang1
Analyst
Posts: 3,744
And1: 1,671
Joined: Aug 03, 2012

Re: 2021 College Basketball / Draft THREAD 

Post#24 » by nolang1 » Sun Feb 7, 2021 1:55 am

SmellingColors wrote:
nolang1 wrote:
codydaze wrote:
Yeah, we pretty much need to pray to the lottery gods to land a top 4 pick at this point. If we were to end up finishing at 10 and then win the play in game, how does that work though?


Draft position is locked in before that.


Tankathon says all non-playoff teams go to the lottery so I think the play-in also determines draft position.

http://www.tankathon.com/pick_odds

EDIT: Whoops. Didn't see your edit.


Yeah what I first meant to say was that regular season records and the seeding for the lottery is locked in. You can fall out of the lottery by winning the play-in but you can't move up unless teams with a worse record than you qualify for the playoffs.
User avatar
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
Posts: 13,991
And1: 3,919
Joined: Dec 23, 2009
Location: Roseville, CA
   

Re: 2021 College Basketball / Draft THREAD 

Post#25 » by City of Trees » Mon Feb 8, 2021 7:03 am

SmellingColors wrote:Has anyone taken a look at Franz Wagner? German player at Michigan right now. 6'8" SF with good defense. Averaging about a stl and block per game. Right now a 30% 3pt shooter, but an 80% FT shooter which may bode well for his 3pt potential in the NBA. Tankathon has him going to us right now at 12 so I thought I'd take a look.
Woah Franz can play. I did not see that coming. I expected to see more of his brother. Nope. Franz can actually play. Two way player potential, they say, however I'm still skeptical on the defensive end. NBA bigs are much tougher than what he's seeing right now.

But he can handle, shoot with range, playmaking, see's the court, one handed passes with the left or right, and sprinkles in some shot blocking. Good IQ. Can't ask for more at #14
User avatar
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
Posts: 13,991
And1: 3,919
Joined: Dec 23, 2009
Location: Roseville, CA
   

Re: 2021 College Basketball / Draft THREAD 

Post#26 » by City of Trees » Mon Feb 8, 2021 7:33 am

If the Kings are picking 10 and up Franz should be considered.
User avatar
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
Posts: 4,287
And1: 3,072
Joined: Jul 06, 2013
Location: Sacramento, CA
     

Re: 2021 College Basketball / Draft THREAD 

Post#27 » by codydaze » Mon Feb 8, 2021 7:12 pm

Add Corey Kispert to the watch list for a late lottery pick.
kb02
Pro Prospect
Posts: 957
And1: 486
Joined: Jun 06, 2017
 

Re: 2021 College Basketball / Draft THREAD 

Post#28 » by kb02 » Tue Feb 9, 2021 1:13 pm

Had another full viewing of Mobley. My views haven't changed. I see a young Aldridge. Going to be a sometimes all star, but I don't see Garnett. The quality of college basketball this year has really gone down.

Illinois has two first rounders: Ayo Donsunmu and Kofi Cockburn. Donsumu is playing point for the Illini--legit 6'5, facilitator. Stare hard enough and there's a lot of Fox/Elfrid Payton to his game. More Payton than Fox. But a 1/2 type, who will defend either spot and will be a10 year pro. Mid to late first. Cockburn is probably the biggest beast in college hoops. In another era, he'd be a top 3 pick. Just enormous and athletic too. Think Zach Randolph size without the skill. Late first.
kb02
Pro Prospect
Posts: 957
And1: 486
Joined: Jun 06, 2017
 

Re: 2021 College Basketball / Draft THREAD 

Post#29 » by kb02 » Tue Feb 9, 2021 1:19 pm

codydaze wrote:Add Corey Kispert to the watch list for a late lottery pick.


In the one full game that I saw, Kispert looked very pedestrian to me. Has a shot. I wouldn't take him in the first. Small sample size. I think Grant Anticevich is a better player. Anticevich reminds me of a young Joe Ingles. Not as skilled with the ball, but should be a better shooter long term.
User avatar
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
Posts: 4,287
And1: 3,072
Joined: Jul 06, 2013
Location: Sacramento, CA
     

Re: 2021 College Basketball / Draft THREAD 

Post#30 » by codydaze » Tue Feb 9, 2021 5:27 pm

kb02 wrote:Had another full viewing of Mobley. My views haven't changed. I see a young Aldridge. Going to be a sometimes all star, but I don't see Garnett. The quality of college basketball this year has really gone down.

Illinois has two first rounders: Ayo Donsunmu and Kofi Cockburn. Donsumu is playing point for the Illini--legit 6'5, facilitator. Stare hard enough and there's a lot of Fox/Elfrid Payton to his game. More Payton than Fox. But a 1/2 type, who will defend either spot and will be a10 year pro. Mid to late first. Cockburn is probably the biggest beast in college hoops. In another era, he'd be a top 3 pick. Just enormous and athletic too. Think Zach Randolph size without the skill. Late first.


He's a far better defender and passer than Aldridge has ever been though and I have always been a big Lamarcus Aldridge fan. He's not an option for us at this point but I would take him #1 overall in this draft.
SmellingColors
Senior
Posts: 726
And1: 129
Joined: Dec 14, 2010

Re: 2021 College Basketball / Draft THREAD 

Post#31 » by SmellingColors » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:58 pm

codydaze wrote:
kb02 wrote:Had another full viewing of Mobley. My views haven't changed. I see a young Aldridge. Going to be a sometimes all star, but I don't see Garnett. The quality of college basketball this year has really gone down.

Illinois has two first rounders: Ayo Donsunmu and Kofi Cockburn. Donsumu is playing point for the Illini--legit 6'5, facilitator. Stare hard enough and there's a lot of Fox/Elfrid Payton to his game. More Payton than Fox. But a 1/2 type, who will defend either spot and will be a10 year pro. Mid to late first. Cockburn is probably the biggest beast in college hoops. In another era, he'd be a top 3 pick. Just enormous and athletic too. Think Zach Randolph size without the skill. Late first.


He's a far better defender and passer than Aldridge has ever been though and I have always been a big Lamarcus Aldridge fan. He's not an option for us at this point but I would take him #1 overall in this draft.


Looking more likely with each game that we'll move up in draft position especially if Monte starts selling off our vets (which I hope he does).

There are some interesting similarities to Aldridge, like wingspan, that I can see, but Mobley's lateral quickness is much better (I remember thinking it felt like Aldridge was walking on stilts at times). He's shooting a small amount of 3's and making them at the college level already which LA never did (it was a different game), has a higher FT% so far on 1.5 attempts more than LA did in college, he's averaging more points/rebounds, and he's averaging 3 blocks a game - 1 more than LA did. He's also showing he can be a passer, although needs to improve there. He's averaging 2.2 assists a game which is pretty high for a big man in college.

I think Mobley could wind up being a defensive anchor for a team like Gobert has been for the Jazz, but with an offensive skillset other than lobs.
User avatar
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
Posts: 4,287
And1: 3,072
Joined: Jul 06, 2013
Location: Sacramento, CA
     

Re: 2021 College Basketball / Draft THREAD 

Post#32 » by codydaze » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:05 pm

SmellingColors wrote:
codydaze wrote:
kb02 wrote:Had another full viewing of Mobley. My views haven't changed. I see a young Aldridge. Going to be a sometimes all star, but I don't see Garnett. The quality of college basketball this year has really gone down.

Illinois has two first rounders: Ayo Donsunmu and Kofi Cockburn. Donsumu is playing point for the Illini--legit 6'5, facilitator. Stare hard enough and there's a lot of Fox/Elfrid Payton to his game. More Payton than Fox. But a 1/2 type, who will defend either spot and will be a10 year pro. Mid to late first. Cockburn is probably the biggest beast in college hoops. In another era, he'd be a top 3 pick. Just enormous and athletic too. Think Zach Randolph size without the skill. Late first.


He's a far better defender and passer than Aldridge has ever been though and I have always been a big Lamarcus Aldridge fan. He's not an option for us at this point but I would take him #1 overall in this draft.


Looking more likely with each game that we'll move up in draft position especially if Monte starts selling off our vets (which I hope he does).

There are some interesting similarities to Aldridge, like wingspan, that I can see, but Mobley's lateral quickness is much better (I remember thinking it felt like Aldridge was walking on stilts at times). He's shooting a small amount of 3's and making them at the college level already which LA never did (it was a different game), has a higher FT% so far on 1.5 attempts more than LA did in college, he's averaging more points/rebounds, and he's averaging 3 blocks a game - 1 more than LA did. He's also showing he can be a passer, although needs to improve there. He's averaging 2.2 assists a game which is pretty high for a big man in college.

I think Mobley could wind up being a defensive anchor for a team like Gobert has been for the Jazz, but with an offensive skillset other than lobs.


Yeah, I'm 100% on the Evan Mobley hype train, I think he's the best prospect in the draft. He needs to put on a little bit of size but I see him as a legit defensive anchor in the league and unlike Gobert, he's excellent in pick and roll defense which would be huge for us. He has great mobility out on the perimeter and is a very smart defender. I can definitely see the Aldridge comp when it comes to offense but he does have better passing instincts, he's unselfish and is a good playmaker for a big man. Watching a lot of the USC games, he gets doubled very often and he's really good at finding the open man out of it. When they use him out of the high post, he's very dangerous.

Right now my top 5 are:

1. Evan Mobley
2. Jonathan Kuminga
3. Cade Cunnigham
4. Jalen Green
5. Jalen Suggs
BoogieTime
Analyst
Posts: 3,659
And1: 1,345
Joined: Feb 09, 2017
 

Re: 2021 College Basketball / Draft THREAD 

Post#33 » by BoogieTime » Thu Mar 4, 2021 5:42 am

Harrison Barnes has been the difference in like 6-7 of our wins this year, and who knows how many draft slots..

The fact that he’s still on this team is really questionable by McNair
BoogieTime
Analyst
Posts: 3,659
And1: 1,345
Joined: Feb 09, 2017
 

Re: 2021 College Basketball / Draft THREAD 

Post#34 » by BoogieTime » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:53 am

I’m resigned to the team not becoming sellers in time for a good pick so hopefully the discussion starts becoming on how good the bottom half of the lottery is as well in comparison to the top 5
kalenclayton
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,783
And1: 1,242
Joined: Feb 13, 2014
   

Re: 2021 College Basketball / Draft THREAD 

Post#35 » by kalenclayton » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:31 am

BoogieTime wrote:I’m resigned to the team not becoming sellers in time for a good pick so hopefully the discussion starts becoming on how good the bottom half of the lottery is as well in comparison to the top 5

Well Ziaire Williams has somehow been dropping in the rankings, but he will be the guy that I hope for if we fall outside of the top-5.
VeeJay24
Starter
Posts: 2,075
And1: 10
Joined: Feb 19, 2002
Location: Washington DC
       

Re: 2021 College Basketball / Draft THREAD 

Post#36 » by VeeJay24 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:54 pm

Who knows what happens with the lottery but I think the Kings' priority should be defense and if there is no miracle with the lottery where you can land one those top 5 they need to do all they can to move up and get Scottie Barnes or McNair can get another agent to manipulate the draft to get his client to land with the Kings again (Haliburton). It'll be nice if they have the same agent. Or another option would be to move down a few spots and get Jalen Johnson besides an athletic big man who can protect the rim a long athletic 3 and d wing is a must. Scottie Barnes can be real steal and difference maker at 6 or lower.
Sportz Gza
OGSactownballer
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,293
And1: 508
Joined: Oct 02, 2005

Re: 2021 College Basketball / Draft THREAD 

Post#37 » by OGSactownballer » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:40 pm

If I am Monty McNair I have zero problems trading my 2021, ‘23 & ‘25 FRP with no protection on one of the latter two and Top 3 only on the other for whoever has this years number one or number two to secure Mobley.

Reasoning being it secures the missing impact piece we need on the inside to put with Fix and Hali and if that goes well we won’t have room for those picks on the roster through that period anyway.

Also can always trade in the future to get one of those years back if needed.

Edit: This would of course be AFTER the order is set.
SmellingColors
Senior
Posts: 726
And1: 129
Joined: Dec 14, 2010

Re: 2021 College Basketball / Draft THREAD 

Post#38 » by SmellingColors » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:51 pm

I said it a while ago, but I like Wagner. He's got size at the 3 and would pair really nicely in a switching defense with Barnes at the 4.
kalenclayton
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,783
And1: 1,242
Joined: Feb 13, 2014
   

Re: 2021 College Basketball / Draft THREAD 

Post#39 » by kalenclayton » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:44 pm

OGSactownballer wrote:If I am Monty McNair I have zero problems trading my 2021, ‘23 & ‘25 FRP with no protection on one of the latter two and Top 3 only on the other for whoever has this years number one or number two to secure Mobley.

Reasoning being it secures the missing impact piece we need on the inside to put with Fix and Hali and if that goes well we won’t have room for those picks on the roster through that period anyway.

Also can always trade in the future to get one of those years back if needed.

Edit: This would of course be AFTER the order is set.

Too much is going out here. I understand you like Mobley, but are we certain he’s a sure thing? There was a consensus that Trae and Luka had NBA roles and we saw just one pick involved in their swap (‘18 #3 for ‘18 #5 + ‘19 protected). One note is that the Kings pick will likely be between 6 and 12, so that it’s expected that the price to move up will be a higher. The only top-3 trades we have examples for in recent years are the 2018 trade and 2017 one (BOS sent #1 to PHI for #3 and ‘18 OR ‘19 1st).

We don’t have a good recent example of seeing a team jump from 6 or lower trading up to 1 or 2, but I don’t think it’s worth it to mortgage the future heavily for a player that is a big unknown and not a sure superstar.

Edit: the closest recent example we have is the 2011 draft. LAC sent #1 (Kyrie) and Baron Davis to CLE for Mo Williams and Jamario Moon. Still very different from our situation, but it is someone sending a top pick for tremendous salary relief and a good player.
SmellingColors
Senior
Posts: 726
And1: 129
Joined: Dec 14, 2010

Re: 2021 College Basketball / Draft THREAD 

Post#40 » by SmellingColors » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:11 pm

kalenclayton wrote:
OGSactownballer wrote:If I am Monty McNair I have zero problems trading my 2021, ‘23 & ‘25 FRP with no protection on one of the latter two and Top 3 only on the other for whoever has this years number one or number two to secure Mobley.

Reasoning being it secures the missing impact piece we need on the inside to put with Fix and Hali and if that goes well we won’t have room for those picks on the roster through that period anyway.

Also can always trade in the future to get one of those years back if needed.

Edit: This would of course be AFTER the order is set.

Too much is going out here. I understand you like Mobley, but are we certain he’s a sure thing? There was a consensus that Trae and Luka had NBA roles and we saw just one pick involved in their swap (‘18 #3 for ‘18 #5 + ‘19 protected). One note is that the Kings pick will likely be between 6 and 12, so that it’s expected that the price to move up will be a higher. The only top-3 trades we have examples for in recent years are the 2018 trade and 2017 one (BOS sent #1 to PHI for #3 and ‘18 OR ‘19 1st).

We don’t have a good recent example of seeing a team jump from 6 or lower trading up to 1 or 2, but I don’t think it’s worth it to mortgage the future heavily for a player that is a big unknown and not a sure superstar.

Edit: the closest recent example we have is the 2011 draft. LAC sent #1 (Kyrie) and Baron Davis to CLE for Mo Williams and Jamario Moon. Still very different from our situation, but it is someone sending a top pick for tremendous salary relief and a good player.


With how much this draft has been hyped, I don't see a team trading out of the top 2-3. Cade, Mobley, and Suggs are going to be too enticing for teams like the Rockets, Pistons, Magic, OKC, etc. Those teams are doing hard resets and need a guy to build around. Any of those 3 are reasonable picks to do so.

Only team I could see trading out would be the Wolves or Wizards if they got a top pick since they have Russell/KAT and Beal who may want to win immediately, but even if we assume that motive, they'll want something very substantial in return that could help them win now. None of Hield/Barnes/Bagley etc. will be enough imo so you're looking at Haliburton at least which is a non-starter for us.

I just don't see it happening.

Return to Sacramento Kings