2021 College Basketball / Draft THREAD

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

SmellingColors
Pro Prospect
And1: 139

Re: 2021 College Basketball / Draft THREAD 

Post#61 » by SmellingColors » Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:27 pm

codydaze wrote:
SmellingColors wrote:If we trade down or acquire a late teens first round pick another way, I'd take a hard look at Usman Garuba. His defensive versatility is at least in the mold of a Scottie Barnes type. Really good lateral quickness and defensive IQ. Good passing instincts as well.

He's super raw offensively and may struggle to initially stay on the court because of it, but we need guys like that when they get switched on the perimeter.

My targets at #9 at this point are...

Probably won't fall:
-Barnes
-Kuminga

May be there:
-Wagner
-Jalen Johnson
- Moody

Probably there:
-Keon Johnson
-Giddey
-Sengun
-Williams

I have a feeling Garuba is going top 10. The 6 through 20 prospects in this draft don't have a lot of variance in my opinion so I think someone will jump on that potential.

Wow really? I haven't seen him mentioned in almost any mocks in the lottery.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,775

Post#62 » by BoogieTime » Thu Jul 1, 2021 1:26 am

SmellingColors wrote:If we trade down or acquire a late teens first round pick another way, I'd take a hard look at Usman Garuba. His defensive versatility is at least in the mold of a Scottie Barnes type. Really good lateral quickness and defensive IQ. Good passing instincts as well.

He's super raw offensively and may struggle to initially stay on the court because of it, but we need guys like that when they get switched on the perimeter.

My targets at #9 at this point are...

Probably won't fall:
-Barnes
-Kuminga

May be there:
-Wagner
-Jalen Johnson
- Moody

Probably there:
-Keon Johnson
-Giddey
-Sengun
-Williams

Depends what the FO values, a solid player or ceiling. Jalen Johnson for instance, I think is going to be a solid player, but the ceiling is unimaginative.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#63 » by BoogieTime » Fri Jul 2, 2021 1:53 am

As for my Giddey love, I still wonder if he can translate to playing SF. He's reportedly at 6'9 now but at one point only measured a 6.75 wingspan, which isn't optimal for the position. His rebounding for the spots he was playing in Australia seemed sufficient.

Then its the question of can you throw three guards out there like that. Hali isn't high usage but, with him and Fox I wonder how that would work or just parse down their individual talents

As BPA though, the man at 6'9 can do things a lot of men his age and height can't. He knows how to play
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#64 » by City of Trees » Fri Jul 2, 2021 2:29 am

Kuminga scares me. I believe has the lowest floor of any top player in this draft.

I have my eye on Moses Moody, but I'll admit I have plenty of work to do evaluating other prospects.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,573

Post#65 » by LightTheBeam » Fri Jul 2, 2021 6:54 pm

Does Moody drop to #9? Feels like he could end up in GS. He has some weight and a good wingspan. I don't mind us going a bit small. We need to play fast.
kb02
Bench Warmer
And1: 631

Post#66 » by kb02 » Fri Jul 2, 2021 7:46 pm

I absolutely don't get the Moody love. He should be a mid teens or later pick. Watched him a few times during the season and have watched a decent amount of film. My view still hasn't changed much on him unlike, say, Wagoner, who didn't pop for me live, but looks much better on film.

Moody = Corey Brwer floor to Mikal Bridges ceiling. Likely falls somewhere in between. That's not a lottery pick. I think he falls to the teens or later during draft day.
OscarH
Sophomore
And1: 31

Post#67 » by OscarH » Fri Jul 2, 2021 11:53 pm

BoogieTime wrote:As for my Giddey love, I still wonder if he can translate to playing SF. He's reportedly at 6'9 now but at one point only measured a 6.75 wingspan, which isn't optimal for the position. His rebounding for the spots he was playing in Australia seemed sufficient.

Then its the question of can you throw three guards out there like that. Hali isn't high usage but, with him and Fox I wonder how that would work or just parse down their individual talents

As BPA though, the man at 6'9 can do things a lot of men his age and height can't. He knows how to play

I think the fit with him at the 3 work on O easily, Having Fox to collapse the D and then both Hali and Giddey both having such great vision of what is going to happen will create so many great looks. Giddey being off-ball more may unlock some shooting from him also as shoot looked better off catch/ his little side step shot.

Defensively may have to build around them more specificlly and go for a real gambler D but that requires some legit rim protection which don't think Holmes will suffice as.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#68 » by BoogieTime » Sat Jul 3, 2021 12:17 am

kb02 wrote:I absolutely don't get the Moody love. He should be a mid teens or later pick. Watched him a few times during the season and have watched a decent amount of film. My view still hasn't changed much on him unlike, say, Wagoner, who didn't pop for me live, but looks much better on film.

Moody = Corey Brwer floor to Mikal Bridges ceiling. Likely falls somewhere in between. That's not a lottery pick. I think he falls to the teens or later during draft day.

I mean, I wanted to be respectful of other posters opinions, but from the 4-5 minutes of video montage here and there I don't really feel Moody as well. I know that others feel high on him though. He's somewhat popular on the Magic board
kb02
Bench Warmer

Post#69 » by kb02 » Sat Jul 3, 2021 2:29 am

BoogieTime wrote:
kb02 wrote:I absolutely don't get the Moody love. He should be a mid teens or later pick. Watched him a few times during the season and have watched a decent amount of film. My view still hasn't changed much on him unlike, say, Wagoner, who didn't pop for me live, but looks much better on film.

I mean, I wanted to be respectful of other posters opinions, but from the 4-5 minutes of video montage here and there I don't really feel Moody as well. I know that others feel high on him though. He's somewhat popular on the Magic board

For me, it’s not just videos. It’s what I saw live. He just didn’t pop in the games that I watched. Came away each time thinking the best Bama pro prospect was Herb Jones. Then after watching vids, I’m still scratching my head as to why he’s rated as a lotto pick. Time will tell.
SmellingColors
Pro Prospect

Post#70 » by SmellingColors » Sat Jul 3, 2021 6:37 pm

kb02 wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:

For me, it’s not just videos. It’s what I saw live. He just didn’t pop in the games that I watched. Came away each time thinking the best Bama pro prospect was Herb Jones. Then after watching vids, I’m still scratching my head as to why he’s rated as a lotto pick. Time will tell.

I'm not necessarily in love with Moody, but I think he projects well for the NBA and fits an area of need for the Kings (3-D wing). He's 6'6" in shoes, 210 pounds, and has a nearly 7'1" wingspan. That length would be huge for us at the 3 and guarding on the perimeter.

For comparison Mikal Bridges is currently listed around 6'6" to 6'7" with 7'1" to 7'2" wingspan, 209 pounds, plays the 3, and arguably should have been in consideration for All-Defense this year so Moody definitely has the physical tools to guard the 3. Mikal was more explosive in college than Moody, but his role on the Suns is primarily as a spot-up 3 man which I think would fit nicely for the Kings with Fox/Hali/Wright handling the ball most of the time.

Moody also shot about 34% from 3 on 5 attempts which if he did that his rookie year would be league average, but his FT% is 81% on 5-6 attempts a game which indicates to me he might be better than that percentage. He also knows how to draw contact and get to the FT line which is a plus.

Starting out, I think he'll be primarily a catch-and-shoot 3-D wing, but I think his handle is good enough right now that he could grow into more of a Middleton type role. (Middleton was listed at 6'8" in shoes with a 6'10" wingspan, and 216 pounds at his draft combine.) Moody wasn't great off the dribble and is shorter than Middleton, but has the length to get his shot off and I think he can grow into a role like that if he puts in the time.

Defensively, he has the length and strength to guard 3's and will be okay switching onto slower guards out of the gate. He has decent lateral quickness and is a good help defender, but I imagine he'll probably have some trouble staying in front of quicker guards to begin with at least.

No draft prospect is a sure thing, but I think it's a mistake to write him off. Ultimately, I think, like codydaze said, there's a flattening out of prospects after Barnes at 6 so I'd be okay with a lot of guys at 9, but Moody is closer to the top of my list than the bottom.
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#71 » by nolang1 » Wed Jul 7, 2021 4:01 am

The Moody love comes from him being a young freshman while a lot of the top guys this year are on the older side (he's nearly an entire year younger than Mobley), and then nearly 17 points per game with that free throw rate is pretty good for a freshman that age who's billed as a 3-D role player. I think he's overrated by advanced stats where team margin of victory is a component in BPM and Arkansas beat the pants off some really bad non-conference teams (they had an 80-point win at some point) in a weird, shortened season, and I think this draft is solid enough where I'd be fine with trading down, but it wouldn't be a total disaster to take him at 9 (although I do like Wagner better for sure).
Beteo
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#72 » by Beteo » Thu Jul 8, 2021 8:15 pm

nolang1 wrote:
The Moody love comes from him being a young freshman while a lot of the top guys this year are on the older side (he's nearly an entire year younger than Mobley), and then nearly 17 points per game with that free throw rate is pretty good for a freshman that age who's billed as a 3-D role player. I think he's overrated by advanced stats where team margin of victory is a component in BPM and Arkansas beat the pants off some really bad non-conference teams (they had an 80-point win at some point) in a weird, shortened season, and I think this draft is solid enough where I'd be fine with trading down, but it wouldn't be a total disaster to take him at 9 (although I do like Wagner better for sure).

I totally agree with your analysis. There are a lot of people who see (much) more potential in Moody and I am asking myself if he may has more upside. But as you said there are better fits for the Kings.
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,184

Post#73 » by God Squad » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:24 am

I saw this posted on our draft board and didn't see it anywhere here. No clue if how valid it is.
Read on Twitter
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#74 » by BoogieTime » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:46 pm

God Squad wrote:I saw this posted on our draft board and didn't see it anywhere here. No clue if how valid it is.
Read on Twitter

Our beat writer Jason Anderson said as of last Tuesday we didn't even meet with him yet.
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,184

Post#75 » by God Squad » Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:22 am

BoogieTime wrote:
God Squad wrote:I saw this posted on our draft board and didn't see it anywhere here. No clue if how valid it is.
Read on Twitter

Our beat writer Jason Anderson said as of last Tuesday we didn't even meet with him yet.

kk cool, sorry for the confusion.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#76 » by BoogieTime » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:37 pm

I mean I personally wasn’t already feeling Moody but apparently he’s out here on social media voting for the Kings to draft someone else other than him....

Going to take awhile to get past the reputation...

Haven’t looked at many of the prospects but I’d prefer Jalen Johnson if they go that route just looking at 4-5 mins of film
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#77 » by BoogieTime » Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:28 am

BoogieTime wrote:As if I wasn’t already feeling Moody apparently he’s out here on social media voting for the Kings to draft someone else other than him....

Haven’t looked at many of the prospects but I’d prefer Jalen Johnson if they go that route just looking at 4-5 mins of film

apparently dude responded after the backlash and said it was a joke, and he'd love to play here

and most fans are lauding him for that..

I don't think so.. sounds more like an agent telling him he looked a fool and is trying to cover it up. or that he might be drafted here anyway and to not make himself a pariah..

Why would he engage in that behavior in the first place?

not good for him, but I guess it is what we have to deal with until we start to shred this rep. Also some fans saying, can you blame him? Yes
SmellingColors
Pro Prospect

Post#78 » by SmellingColors » Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:29 am

BoogieTime wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:As if I wasn’t already feeling Moody apparently he’s out here on social media voting for the Kings to draft someone else other than him....

apparently dude responded after the backlash and said it was a joke, and he'd love to play here

I don't think so.. sounds more like an agent telling him he looked a fool and is trying to cover it up. or that he might be drafted here anyway and to not make himself a pariah..

not good for him, but I guess it is what we have to deal with until we start to shred this rep. Also some fans saying, can you blame him? Yes

The poll was between him and Kai Jones and they're both good friends apparently. He said he'd love to play in Sacramento, but he felt conceited voting for himself. I believe him. If you listen to conversations about Moody's character from people who followed him at Arkansas they can't say enough about his maturity, leadership, etc. I personally wouldn't take it too seriously. I think we're all just used to getting burned lol
kb02
Bench Warmer

Post#79 » by kb02 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:47 pm

SmellingColors wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:

The poll was between him and Kai Jones and they're both good friends apparently. He said he'd love to play in Sacramento, but he felt conceited voting for himself. I believe him. If you listen to conversations about Moody's character from people who followed him at Arkansas they can't say enough about his maturity, leadership, etc. I personally wouldn't take it too seriously. I think we're all just used to getting burned lol

Yea, it's rare that you'll hear a college team hating on their own players. Good for recruiting. Coach K was lushing over Bags.

That said, my school has been one of the rare schools to hate. UCLA hated on Ariza and Lavine. Howland wanted him to stay another year to give him a head start on his tenure at UCLA. Alford favored his son in the 2H of Lavine's Frosh year, because Lavine told him he was leaving.
SmellingColors
Pro Prospect

Post#80 » by SmellingColors » Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:32 pm

kb02 wrote:
SmellingColors wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:

Yea, it's rare that you'll hear a college team hating on their own players. Good for recruiting. Coach K was lushing over Bags.

That said, my school has been one of the rare schools to hate. UCLA hated on Ariza and Lavine. Howland wanted him to stay another year to give him a head start on his tenure at UCLA. Alford favored his son in the 2H of Lavine's Frosh year, because Lavine told him he was leaving.

What I listened to wasn't a coach. It was a college reporter on Arkansas so maybe a little less biased? Either way, I would take Moody's word for why he voted for Kai until proven it means something else

Return to Sacramento Kings