ImageImageImageImageImage

The TRADE Thread 2021

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

KingFox
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,627

Re: The TRADE Thread 2021 

Post#1401 » by KingFox » Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:17 am

KF10 wrote:We got all of these players just by sending Bagley?? Good trade in my books lol

lmao a GREAT freaking trade, honestly. In McNair i trust :nod:
KingFox
Lead Assistant

Post#1402 » by KingFox » Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:21 am

There was no reason to throw together 3-4 trades in one deadline. We did what needed to be done and we have an entire offseason for the rest of the loose ends and such
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#1403 » by City of Trees » Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:16 pm

I'll be watching

Read on Twitter
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,573

Post#1404 » by LightTheBeam » Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:54 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=FLyAlkqfqNLO0XWj362XBw&s=19

I'm not surprised by the national criticism after watching this. These people are absolutely clueless. The average realgm fan knows more than them about teams outside the warriors, Lakers, Nets.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using RealGM mobile app
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#1405 » by LightTheBeam » Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:01 am

This is 100% a win win trade today. We will see if Hali makes us pay down the line.

It feels like the same way Turner and Sabonis needed to be separated, Hali and Fox did as well.

The way that many Kings fans felt the team picked the wrong one, I'm sure the Pacers felt the exact way.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,775

Post#1406 » by BoogieTime » Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:44 am

RipPizzaGuy wrote:This is 100% a win win trade today. We will see if Hali makes us pay down the line.

It feels like the same way Turner and Sabonis needed to be separated, Hali and Fox did as well.

The way that many Kings fans felt the team picked the wrong one, I'm sure the Pacers felt the exact way.

If it was for me, Hali would still be here as untouchable and Fox wouldve been traded for peanuts 8-)

But maybe you need patience as a GM and to sell high, Domas/Fox might end up better than Hali and peanuts for Fox
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#1407 » by BoogieTime » Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:36 am

Good to hear we went after Collins at the deadline at least
LAL1947
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,620

Post#1408 » by LAL1947 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:42 am

RipPizzaGuy wrote:Ya I'm a little disappointed. But I think some of the urgency to sell was gone when we got DDV today.

Still a big hole at PF, but we accomplished a lot this deadline. And we still have the summer to use our pick + Holmes for a true impact player. I'm going to guess Mitchell stays off the bench and closes games, although id prefer he started and we shifted Barnes/Holiday up a spot.

Sabonis (35) / Holmes (13)
Metu (18) / Barnes (18)
Barnes (16) / Lamb (18) / Holiday (14)
Holiday ( 16) / Fox (16) / DDV (16)
Fox (18) / Mitchell (30)

Congrats on a good overall trade deadline, Kings fans. I thought the Kings should have gone for a full rebuild based around Haliburton and Davion... but I think most Kings fans just want their team to be competitive and in the playoffs again. I'm not sure how the Kings go from here to being legitimate title contenders but Sabonis is a good player to get back and your FO has made some good follow-up trades too.

The one thing the Kings should do for the rest of this season though, is to resist the urge to "buck the process". Embrace the tank, for the remainder of this season only, and add a talented rookie to your team. It's probably the last time y'all get a Top 10 pick for the next few seasons if all goes well. The rookie could take time to contribute but he (or the pick) will be valuable to make trades, right?

Btw, what do you guys think about trying to get Bobby Portis from the Bucks in the summer? He's got the size at PF to help Sabonis defend the paint and spaces the floor too. The rim-protection won't be the best but won't be terrible either. I'm not seeing a better PF option in the FA market. Sabonis, Fox, Davion, DDV, Portis are all 23-26 too... and DiVincenzo could help with the sales pitch. :P

Fox..................... Davion
DiVincenzo.......... Holiday
Barnes................. Jackson
Portis.................. Metu/Lyles
Sabonis............... Holmes
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#1409 » by LightTheBeam » Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:57 am

LAL1947 wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:Ya I'm a little disappointed. But I think some of the urgency to sell was gone when we got DDV today.

Still a big hole at PF, but we accomplished a lot this deadline. And we still have the summer to use our pick + Holmes for a true impact player. I'm going to guess Mitchell stays off the bench and closes games, although id prefer he started and we shifted Barnes/Holiday up a spot.

Sabonis (35) / Holmes (13)
Metu (18) / Barnes (18)
Barnes (16) / Lamb (18) / Holiday (14)
Holiday ( 16) / Fox (16) / DDV (16)
Fox (18) / Mitchell (30)

Congrats on a good overall trade deadline, Kings fans. I thought the Kings should have gone for a full rebuild based around Haliburton and Davion... but I think most Kings fans just want their team to be competitive and in the playoffs again. I'm not sure how the Kings go from here to being legitimate title contenders but Sabonis is a good player to get back and your FO has made some good follow-up trades too.

The one thing the Kings should do for the rest of this season though, is to resist the urge to "buck the process". Embrace the tank, for the remainder of this season only, and add a talented rookie to your team. It's probably the last time y'all get a Top 10 pick for the next few seasons if all goes well. The rookie could take time to contribute but he (or the pick) will be valuable to make trades, right?

Btw, what do you guys think about trying to get Bobby Portis from the Bucks in the summer? He's got the size at PF to help Sabonis defend the paint and spaces the floor too. The rim-protection won't be the best but won't be terrible either. I'm not seeing a better PF option in the FA market. Sabonis, Fox, Davion, DDV, Portis are all 23-26 too... and DiVincenzo could help with the sales pitch.

Fox..................... Davion
DiVincenzo.......... Holiday
Barnes................. Jackson
Portis.................. Metu/Lyles
Sabonis............... Holmes

We will find out if it was the right or wrong direction next year.

In terms of becoming a title contender, that's a convo for another time. Right now we need to figure out how to become a consistent playoff team. The grizzlies have a fantastic blue print. They were able to hit on some later draft guys like Bane as well.

I think they will absolutely go for the play in and see if they can upset the LA teams and Minnesota to sneak in. I don't think any of those teams are currently unbeatable. Many of us would be fine with resting fox/barnes/sabonis/Holmes and just taking that top pick, but they want to get these guys chemistry and momentum.

Love Portis, but he seems like he's in love with Milwaukee. If they can work out a deal, he's 100% not leaving short of a jerami grant type deal.

LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#1410 » by LightTheBeam » Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:00 am

BoogieTime wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:This is 100% a win win trade today. We will see if Hali makes us pay down the line.

If it was for me, Hali would still be here as untouchable and Fox wouldve been traded for peanuts 8-)

But maybe you need patience as a GM and to sell high, Domas/Fox might end up better than Hali and peanuts for Fox
I think you've sold Fox short and don't realize how much deferring to hali has hindered his game. But I've said that to you forever, 40 bad games isn't a reason to give up on a guy.

Hes absolutely elite at getting passed his man and finishing at the rim. He was never a #1 option, but as 1b to sabonis his life and efficiency will improve.

I also kinda like the fit of Fox/mitchell better. Good mix of speed, offense, and defense. Even Mitchell would have struggled to develop next to a guy like hali imo.

LAL1947
Assistant Coach

Post#1411 » by LAL1947 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:59 pm

RipPizzaGuy wrote:I think they will absolutely go for the play in and see if they can upset the LA teams and Minnesota to sneak in. I don't think any of those teams are currently unbeatable.

Ughh, that would be such a Kings thing to do, no offense. The Kings are currently 6th last in the table... they need a PF... 3 of the top 5 prospects in this draft are PFs... and one of them looks like the perfect PF to me, Jabari Smith Jr.

Fox is only 24, and Sabonis only 25... what's the rush? It's the same mistake that most middling teams make over and over, i.e., letting euphoria take over and bucking the process instead of trusting it. The Kings are now a better team than 6th last... but the NBA generously gives teams the opportunity to have a high pick and add talent if they just stay the course for 3 more months after the deadline. It's just 3 months... so why look a gift horse in the mouth? Know what I mean?

RipPizzaGuy wrote:Love Portis, but he seems like he's in love with Milwaukee. If they can work out a deal, he's 100% not leaving short of a jerami grant type deal.

You're probably right about that. I'm thinking he could be available for $15m but could be totally off.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#1412 » by LightTheBeam » Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:25 pm

LAL1947 wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:I think they will absolutely go for the play in and see if they can upset the LA teams and Minnesota to sneak in. I don't think any of those teams are currently unbeatable.

Ughh, that would be such a Kings thing to do, no offense. The Kings are currently 6th last in the table... they need a PF... 3 of the top 5 prospects in this draft are PFs... and one of them looks like the perfect PF to me, Jabari Smith Jr.

Fox is only 24, and Sabonis only 25... what's the rush? It's the same mistake that most middling teams make over and over, i.e., letting euphoria take over and bucking the process instead of trusting it. The Kings are now a better team than 6th last... but the NBA generously gives teams the opportunity to have a high pick and add talent if they just stay the course for 3 more months after the deadline... so why look a gift horse in the mouth? Know what I mean?

RipPizzaGuy wrote:Love Portis, but he seems like he's in love with Milwaukee. If they can work out a deal, he's 100% not leaving short of a jerami grant type deal.

You're probably right about that. I'm thinking he could be available for $15m but could be totally off.

Many of us want to. But the reality is we aren't going to be able to catch those bottom teams.

Detroit
OKC
Orlando
Houston

These teams are going to tank so hard that id bet none of them even hit 20 wins (where the Kings were pre-trade).

The Pacers sold off Sabonis, LeVert, Holiday, Lamb, Craig. Id be shocked if they rushed back Brogdan, Warren, or Turner. So even catching them would require us to be very very lucky.

Then you have the Blazers/Spurs who sold off win now pieces. Surprisingly both teams have won 2 in a row, but at the time of the trades it looked like a hard tank was coming.

Basically my point is that absolutely best case was probably pick #6 which requires us to rest our guys. More realistic pick is now 8/9. We can argue that we now have a worse chance of moving up and thats fair. But once you are out of that top 4 group it is what it is. And more than likely this pick won't be on the team next year, if I had to guess we are going to package it with Holmes for a player. We will find out how much the 2-3 spot drop hurts us when that trade comes.
LAL1947
Assistant Coach

Post#1413 » by LAL1947 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:35 pm

RipPizzaGuy wrote:Many of us want to. But the reality is we aren't going to be able to catch those bottom teams.

Detroit
OKC
Orlando
Houston

These teams are going to tank so hard that id bet none of them even hit 20 wins (where the Kings were pre-trade).

The Pacers sold off Sabonis, LeVert, Holiday, Lamb, Craig. Id be shocked if they rushed back Brogdan, Warren, or Turner. So even catching them would require us to be very very lucky.

Then you have the Blazers/Spurs who sold off win now pieces. Surprisingly both teams have won 2 in a row, but at the time of the trades it looked like a hard tank was coming.

Basically my point is that absolutely best case was probably pick #6 which requires us to rest our guys. More realistic pick is now 8/9. We can argue that we now have a worse chance of moving up and thats fair. But once you are out of that top 4 group it is what it is. And more than likely this pick won't be on the team next year, if I had to guess we are going to package it with Holmes for a player. We will find out how much the 2-3 spot drop hurts us when that trade comes.

I agree, you're not going to be able to catch the bottom 5 teams but you don't need to. Anything can happen in the draft, going up or down. The goal should simply be to maximize your own chances of getting the highest pick possible and not jeopardize that in any way, especially not on purpose.

For example, the odds of getting the #1 pick is 9% for the 6th worst team, and 7.5% for the 7th best team. A lot of people look at this and say, "oh well, it's only 1.5% less chance, not a big deal"... but that's not true. By finishing 7th worst instead of 6th, you're decreasing your odds of getting the #1 pick by a fifth or 20%.

9.0 - 7 .5 = 1.5%
1.5 / 7.5 = 20%

https://www.tankathon.com/pick_odds

Even if you don't get the #1 pick but get 2nd-6th, there seems to be a bit of a drop off after the top 5-6 guys. There are also Shooting Guards (another position of need for the Kings) who are highly ranked in the mock drafts, Jaden Ivey and Shaedon Sharpe.
KingFox
Lead Assistant

Post#1414 » by KingFox » Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:16 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21
sacking123
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,348

Post#1415 » by sacking123 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:30 pm

The game against the Nets probably pushed me more towards finding that star 4 instead of getting a good fitting role player. I still want to give Sabonis time to be more aggressive, but there just wasn't anyone able to take control and lead the team.

I think it's going to be exciting next season with TD off the bench with Sabonis. He will take up a lot of minutes that would be going to Lamb. I don't think Lamb gets another contract, nor does Jackson, Lyles' option declined, and hopefully, both Holmes/Len get moved on along with a pick or two for a star. King gets a 1-year deal and he can be moved on at the deadline, cut to bring in a buyout guy if things are going well. Or my Aussie hope would be to sign Ingles on a 2 year deal with a team option on second. He would be great in the lockeroom while he rahabs and if things go well with it he will be back for a PO run.

I still think Davion needs to start depending on who the 4 is, but that could also be DDV/Holiday starting at the 2 with Fox at the 1 if the 4 is a good outside shooter.

Davion/DDV/Vet Min
Fox/TD/
Barnes/Holiday/(King or Ingles)
??/Harkless/Metu
Sabonis/Jones/Queta

That bench is as good as some of the starting line-ups we have put out there.
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#1416 » by LightTheBeam » Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:11 am

simonbampfield wrote:The game against the Nets probably pushed me more towards finding that star 4 instead of getting a good fitting role player. I still want to give Sabonis time to be more aggressive, but there just wasn't anyone able to take control and lead the team.

I think it's going to be exciting next season with TD off the bench with Sabonis. He will take up a lot of minutes that would be going to Lamb. I don't think Lamb gets another contract, nor does Jackson, Lyles' option declined, and hopefully, both Holmes/Len get moved on along with a pick or two for a star. King gets a 1-year deal and he can be moved on at the deadline, cut to bring in a buyout guy if things are going well. Or my Aussie hope would be to sign Ingles on a 2 year deal with a team option on second. He would be great in the lockeroom while he rahabs and if things go well with it he will be back for a PO run.

I still think Davion needs to start depending on who the 4 is, but that could also be DDV/Holiday starting at the 2 with Fox at the 1 if the 4 is a good outside shooter.

Davion/DDV/Vet Min
Fox/TD/
??/Harkless/Metu
Sabonis/Jones/Queta

I agree about bringing in another star. As long as its the right one and not rushing to put a bad fit on the court. Remember our core is still young. Fox 24, Sabonis 25, Mitchell 23, DDV 25, potentially the 2022 draft pick, hell I even like Davis as a 6th man scorer at 24 years old.

Reality is that Sabonis/Fox is a fine 1/2 punch, but not exactly spectacular. For that reason we need a 3rd guy (on that level) who can reliably score when one of them is off. Barnes is more of a 4th option than a 2nd/3rd, he kinda feels like the x-factor. If he scores 18+, that means we should be getting a win. Right now if feels he has to do that for us to be competitive.

Not sure how much changes heading into this off-season. Maybe ATL decides to move Collins, but I don't like his fit. Detroit maybe lowers the asking price on Grant, but hes not an efficient high volume scorer. Id bide our team unless something comes out of nowhere.

Give Kyle Anderson the MLE
Resign Lamb to a bloated 1 year deal (this is how you build a team over the cap)
Trade Richaun for a future pick + expiring (Powell + 2025 pick works).
Resign DDV to a 3/27 type deal.

Head into next year with

Sabonis/Powell/Queta/Len
Kyle Anderson/2022 1st round pick/Harkless
Barnes/Holiday
Fox/Davis
Mitchell/DDV

More importantly, we can now build a nice deadline package combination of - Powell, Lamb, Harkless, Len, (which is a ton of expiring money), 2023 Kings pick, 2025 Dallas pick, our 2025 1st, and even our rookie if we need to. Can even include Anderson, Barnes, Davis, Holiday if necessary for a real game changer.
sacking123
Assistant Coach

Post#1417 » by sacking123 » Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:44 am

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
simonbampfield wrote:The game against the Nets probably pushed me more towards finding that star 4 instead of getting a good fitting role player. I still want to give Sabonis time to be more aggressive, but there just wasn't anyone able to take control and lead the team.

Davion/DDV/Vet Min
Fox/TD/
??/Harkless/Metu
Sabonis/Jones/Queta

I agree about bringing in another star. As long as its the right one and not rushing to put a bad fit on the court. Remember our core is still young. Fox 24, Sabonis 25, Mitchell 23, DDV 25, potentially the 2022 draft pick, hell I even like Davis as a 6th man scorer at 24 years old.

Reality is that Sabonis/Fox is a fine 1/2 punch, but not exactly spectacular. For that reason we need a 3rd guy (on that level) who can reliably score when one of them is off. Barnes is more of a 4th option than a 2nd/3rd, he kinda feels like the x-factor. If he scores 18+, that means we should be getting a win. Right now if feels he has to do that for us to be competitive.

Not sure how much changes heading into this off-season. Maybe ATL decides to move Collins, but I don't like his fit. Detroit maybe lowers the asking price on Grant, but hes not an efficient high volume scorer. Id bide our team unless something comes out of nowhere.

Resign Lamb to a bloated 1 year deal (this is how you build a team over the cap)

Head into next year with

Sabonis/Powell/Queta/Len
Barnes/Holiday
Fox/Davis
Mitchell/DDV

More importantly, we can now build a nice deadline package combination of - Powell, Lamb, Harkless, Len, (which is a ton of expiring money), 2023 Kings pick, 2025 Dallas pick, our 2025 1st, and even our rookie if we need to. Can even include Anderson, Barnes, Davis, Holiday if necessary for a real game changer.

Yeah I think that would work. I thought about Anderson too with the MLE.
I disagree slightly on the fit of Collins. There are better stars out there, but how many are attainable?
With he and Barnes on the short corner 3, cutting into the lane, etc.

His usage went down in the POs last season (he didn't set the world on fire) and I think that has a lot to do with him being uncomfortable about his role in Atlanta.
I was high on pairing him with Hali in P&R for lobs, but Sabonis' passing in every situation is better so they would be a highlight waiting to happen.
I'm not sure we have the outside assets (would prefer to keep Barnes in any Collins deal as it works better roster constructin wise) to get a deal done with the Hawks, but IMO they will be looking to shed salary and Collins will be it if they're as high on Hunter as Hawks fans suggest. Even after cutting Gallo they're at $127m for next season over 8 players.
I just don't know what they would want. They have Okongwu and Jalen Johnson coming up and I would think they will command more PT next season. Perhaps they will decide to try and dump Capella for picks and expirings and try and unload Bogs.
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#1418 » by LightTheBeam » Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:36 am

simonbampfield wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:

Davion/DDV/Vet Min
Fox/TD/
??/Harkless/Metu
Sabonis/Jones/Queta

Head into next year with

Sabonis/Powell/Queta/Len
Barnes/Holiday
Fox/Davis
Mitchell/DDV

Yeah I think that would work. I thought about Anderson too with the MLE.
I disagree slightly on the fit of Collins. There are better stars out there, but how many are attainable?
With he and Barnes on the short corner 3, cutting into the lane, etc.

His usage went down in the POs last season (he didn't set the world on fire) and I think that has a lot to do with him being uncomfortable about his role in Atlanta.
I was high on pairing him with Hali in P&R for lobs, but Sabonis' passing in every situation is better so they would be a highlight waiting to happen.
I'm not sure we have the outside assets (would prefer to keep Barnes in any Collins deal as it works better roster constructin wise) to get a deal done with the Hawks, but IMO they will be looking to shed salary and Collins will be it if they're as high on Hunter as Hawks fans suggest. Even after cutting Gallo they're at $127m for next season over 8 players.
I just don't know what they would want. They have Okongwu and Jalen Johnson coming up and I would think they will command more PT next season. Perhaps they will decide to try and dump Capella for picks and expirings and try and unload Bogs.
I wouldn't be mad about Collins. I've just seen people suggest something like Barnes, mitchell, and our 1st. To me that's foolish.

If the price is something like Holmes, s&t lamb, + our 1st (with Holmes routed elsewhere, Dallas for kleber?) Then I'd be interested.

He doesn't solve the defensive issues, but at least we would have an incredible offense.

BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#1419 » by BoogieTime » Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:11 am

Holmes contract watch is on.

They were in talks to move him at the deadline, but I'm guessing no value presented itself with his contract and year

He's been unplayable off the bench so far

Hopefully his personal issues are affecting him and he will bounce back very soon, and hopefully my man hasnt quit after being benched

If it goes like this, I can't imagine the talk of he will be worth much this summer (hopefully a bounce back is in order)
sacking123
Assistant Coach

Post#1420 » by sacking123 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:39 am

BoogieTime wrote:Holmes contract watch is on.

They were in talks to move him at the deadline, but I'm guessing no value presented itself with his contract and year

He's been unplayable off the bench so far

Hopefully his personal issues are affecting him and he will bounce back very soon, and hopefully my man hasnt quit after being benched

If it goes like this, I can't imagine the talk of he will be worth much this summer (hopefully a bounce back is in order)

Come on man. Fair go. Stop with this what have you done for me lately takes. I'm going to have to read your posts in a Stephen A Smith voice.
Holmes is CLEARLY not right. The fumbled balls along with looking lost on the court should be able to tell everyone he isn't.
Look I'm not saying he isn't trying, he is, it's just at that level you have to have it together. He hasn't. To be fair, he hasn't since the eye injuries and I think that effected him more than we think. He mentioned afterwards how serious the injury was. To me it seems like it scared the crap out of him. Mix in 2 eye injuries, going out with CV and a family member passing all in the space of 10 weeks?
So he has an eye injury, out for 3 games. Comes back early and gets another eye injury 10 minutes into his 4th game back. Misses 7 games and comes back with goggles. No problem to you? He has worn them before so he should just switch the light on?
Plays 5 games with the goggles and then is out with CV protocols.
It puts him out for another 8 games. That means he missed 18 of 27 games. Comes back for 10 games and the kings go 2-8 in that time. Holmes struggles in that 2.5 week stretch.
So, while struggling, he no only loses his starting spot to an all star which throws his role with the organisation into dissaray, he loses a family member.
I'm just not understanding how someone can look at all these things and just go, well he is worthless now. I know other teams GMs don't view things like this. They will weight things up.
Now, if you want to talk about the eye injuries and has that spooked him more than we know, hence he isn't playing as well as he previously did? That is worth talking about, because that absolutely does alter his trade value.
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings

Return to Sacramento Kings