ImageImageImageImageImage

Luke Walton can he survive? How is he doing? UPDATE: Walton fired (WOJ)

Moderators: codydaze, KF10, City of Trees

kalenclayton
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,092
And1: 1,387
Joined: Feb 13, 2014
   

Re: Luke Walton can he survive 2021-2022 season thread? How is he doing? 

Post#21 » by kalenclayton » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:07 pm

Joerger shouldn’t have been fired, regardless of his lineup issues and slow development approach. He had the team playing it’s best basketball since peak Mike Malone, maybe even since the Artest Days. Even when he got fired, Walton should’ve been a candidate, but not the sole one. There were many better options.

I miss Mike Malone.
simonbampfield
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,112
And1: 1,122
Joined: Jul 23, 2004
Location: In my office
Contact:
       

Re: Luke Walton can he survive 2021-2022 season thread? How is he doing? 

Post#22 » by simonbampfield » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:12 pm

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
codydaze wrote:Amick reporting he is on the hot seat. An 0-4 road trip to teams we should have gone 4-0 against if we are a playoff caliber team should be enough cause for him to be canned.

Read on Twitter


Are the last 2 games not enough?

Not even competitive with the Spurs

Then blow a lead and hand the game to OKC?

Now his fate is attached to being able to beat the Pistons?

This feels like Vivek is forced to say hes on the hot seat when in reality these guys have no plans to let him go.

Agreed.
At the start of the season I was thinking no decisions before 20 games. However this team came into yet another season under prepared on the offensive end, the D only looks better because of a couple of players and despite this team being together for multiple seasons they at times look completely off page.
I mentioned some of the same things after Waltons first off season and people defended him with the “it’s a new group” garbage.
Then at the same time a completely new group in the Suns came out firing and I can’t remember the other team that had a new coach and new roster that did the same. It’s not chemistry, its not being new, it’s the game plan. It’s a measure of a good coach, introduce game plans that the players can thrive in. If you can’t do that, then you damn well better surround yourself with people that can.

It’s laughable to think that Walton can save his job by defeating one of the worst teams in NBA history.
This road trip should have been the test. 4-0 or 3-1 should have been the absolute minimum.


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
RipPizzaGuy
RealGM
Posts: 12,803
And1: 7,964
Joined: Sep 17, 2010
     

Re: Luke Walton can he survive 2021-2022 season thread? How is he doing? 

Post#23 » by RipPizzaGuy » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:44 pm

simonbampfield wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:
codydaze wrote:Amick reporting he is on the hot seat. An 0-4 road trip to teams we should have gone 4-0 against if we are a playoff caliber team should be enough cause for him to be canned.

Read on Twitter


Are the last 2 games not enough?

Not even competitive with the Spurs

Then blow a lead and hand the game to OKC?

Now his fate is attached to being able to beat the Pistons?

This feels like Vivek is forced to say hes on the hot seat when in reality these guys have no plans to let him go.

Agreed.
At the start of the season I was thinking no decisions before 20 games. However this team came into yet another season under prepared on the offensive end, the D only looks better because of a couple of players and despite this team being together for multiple seasons they at times look completely off page.
I mentioned some of the same things after Waltons first off season and people defended him with the “it’s a new group” garbage.
Then at the same time a completely new group in the Suns came out firing and I can’t remember the other team that had a new coach and new roster that did the same. It’s not chemistry, its not being new, it’s the game plan. It’s a measure of a good coach, introduce game plans that the players can thrive in. If you can’t do that, then you damn well better surround yourself with people that can.

It’s laughable to think that Walton can save his job by defeating one of the worst teams in NBA history.
This road trip should have been the test. 4-0 or 3-1 should have been the absolute minimum.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app


100% agreed. I think Thibs had a good quote about this a few weeks back.

“You know what they say — when it’s 10 games, you say we need 20. When you get to 20, you say 30. When we get to 30, you say 40, and then before you know it, the season’s over,” said Thibodeau referring to how much time do his starters need to jell. “So, that’s a bunch of bull—t.”

Unfortunately, we are now on, "maybe by year 4 Walton will figure it out".

And our coach saying that his guys were tired against the Spurs 10 games into the season. Are you kidding me? You've got a group with 1 guy over 30 (Tristan) and hes not even a full time player.

If
Fox 24
Mitchell 23
Buddy 29
Barnes 29
Holmes 28
Harkless 28
Len 28
And Metu who had only played 2 games prior to that

If these guys are "fatigued" 10 games into the season. Then something isn't right. It was laughable when he said it, and it only looks worse after OKC.
BoogieTime
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,308
And1: 1,633
Joined: Feb 09, 2017
 

Re: Luke Walton can he survive 2021-2022 season thread? How is he doing? 

Post#24 » by BoogieTime » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:05 pm

Luke is a milquetoast coach who doesn't inspire teams.

I wouldnt put the fact that the team is leaderless on the floor without a strong willed coach on him though, that is still a reflection on this group of players starting with Fox.

But if you need leadership, you cant have a milquetoast coach, need a ball buster
simonbampfield
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,112
And1: 1,122
Joined: Jul 23, 2004
Location: In my office
Contact:
       

Re: Luke Walton can he survive 2021-2022 season thread? How is he doing? 

Post#25 » by simonbampfield » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:24 am

BoogieTime wrote:Luke is a milquetoast coach who doesn't inspire teams.

I wouldnt put the fact that the team is leaderless on the floor without a strong-willed coach on him though, that is still a reflection on this group of players starting with Fox.

But if you need leadership, you cant have a milquetoast coach, need a ball buster


I somewhat agree. I will say though, look at Sacramento's offence. Can you really say what the philosophy of Walton's is here with any consistency?
That is what a young (relatively) group needs. They require structure and yes leadership because while I'm not as harsh on Fox as you, I do believe he lacks leadership.
I think it's extremely telling that Fox worked hard on D a handful of times against the Pistons and did extremely well. Where is the effort against good teams? Why aren't the coaches making him accountable?
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
simonbampfield
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,112
And1: 1,122
Joined: Jul 23, 2004
Location: In my office
Contact:
       

Re: Luke Walton can he survive 2021-2022 season thread? How is he doing? 

Post#26 » by simonbampfield » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:31 am

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
simonbampfield wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:
Are the last 2 games not enough?

Not even competitive with the Spurs

Then blow a lead and hand the game to OKC?

Now his fate is attached to being able to beat the Pistons?

This feels like Vivek is forced to say hes on the hot seat when in reality these guys have no plans to let him go.

Agreed.
At the start of the season I was thinking no decisions before 20 games. However this team came into yet another season under prepared on the offensive end, the D only looks better because of a couple of players and despite this team being together for multiple seasons they at times look completely off page.
I mentioned some of the same things after Waltons first off season and people defended him with the “it’s a new group” garbage.
Then at the same time a completely new group in the Suns came out firing and I can’t remember the other team that had a new coach and new roster that did the same. It’s not chemistry, its not being new, it’s the game plan. It’s a measure of a good coach, introduce game plans that the players can thrive in. If you can’t do that, then you damn well better surround yourself with people that can.

It’s laughable to think that Walton can save his job by defeating one of the worst teams in NBA history.
This road trip should have been the test. 4-0 or 3-1 should have been the absolute minimum.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app


100% agreed. I think Thibs had a good quote about this a few weeks back.

“You know what they say — when it’s 10 games, you say we need 20. When you get to 20, you say 30. When we get to 30, you say 40, and then before you know it, the season’s over,” said Thibodeau referring to how much time do his starters need to jell. “So, that’s a bunch of bull—t.”

Unfortunately, we are now on, "maybe by year 4 Walton will figure it out".

And our coach saying that his guys were tired against the Spurs 10 games into the season. Are you kidding me? You've got a group with 1 guy over 30 (Tristan) and hes not even a full time player.

If
Fox 24
Mitchell 23
Buddy 29
Barnes 29
Holmes 28
Harkless 28
Len 28
And Metu who had only played 2 games prior to that

If these guys are "fatigued" 10 games into the season. Then something isn't right. It was laughable when he said it, and it only looks worse after OKC.


I would hate to say it, but when someone like Walton comes out with something like that, it just makes him look like he is full of BS.
It's just deflecting the fact he hasn't got a game plan at all.
For starters, he needs to stop switching on everything when Davion is in. Davion is the lead guy on D. I don't care that he is a rookie. He is the best defender the Kings have had since Artest and may just be the best defensive player the Kings have had when all said and done.
The Kings' D tries to cover players that don't fight over screens ie Fox. Well guess what, Davion is one of the better guys at it in the NBA. He is getting caught occasionally trying to get back onto his player and the big/wing is staying on the ball when they can easily get back.
The Kings coaching staff has an opportunity to demand the D play smarter. It can't always happen because you have Fox and Buddy out there for large portions of the game, but players should know, Davion is in control of the D when he is in.
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
RipPizzaGuy
RealGM
Posts: 12,803
And1: 7,964
Joined: Sep 17, 2010
     

Re: Luke Walton can he survive 2021-2022 season thread? How is he doing? 

Post#27 » by RipPizzaGuy » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:42 pm

simonbampfield wrote:
I somewhat agree. I will say though, look at Sacramento's offence. Can you really say what the philosophy of Walton's is here with any consistency?
That is what a young (relatively) group needs. They require structure and yes leadership because while I'm not as harsh on Fox as you, I do believe he lacks leadership.
I think it's extremely telling that Fox worked hard on D a handful of times against the Pistons and did extremely well. Where is the effort against good teams? Why aren't the coaches making him accountable?


I think its kind of silly to expect a 23-24 year old guy to be the coach and star player. Would I like him to be more of a leader? Sure. But that doesn't forgive the fact that we don't have one on the sideline. He isn't Lebron/Curry/Durant/Giannis. Trae got a pass when his coach was awful, they fired him and then the team went to the ECF. I'm not sure what Fox is capable of and i'm not going to solely judge anyone on this team when they have zero direction.
BoogieTime
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,308
And1: 1,633
Joined: Feb 09, 2017
 

Re: Luke Walton can he survive 2021-2022 season thread? How is he doing? 

Post#28 » by BoogieTime » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:12 am

Team is lackluster, and since you cant trade all the players, they have to make the move now. I dont see it getting better.

Whether or not its Luke's fault, I think its proven he isnt a good coach or the solution either
Lost in LA
Junior
Posts: 420
And1: 90
Joined: Jul 09, 2016
       

Re: Luke Walton can he survive 2021-2022 season thread? How is he doing? 

Post#29 » by Lost in LA » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:41 am

It's not working, so it's time..
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
Posts: 24,908
And1: 5,199
Joined: Jul 28, 2006
 

Re: Luke Walton can he survive 2021-2022 season thread? How is he doing? 

Post#30 » by KF10 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:54 am

Luke is terrible but the team is rotten to its core. It's always been rotten. Fool's gold.
User avatar
blind prophet
General Manager
Posts: 9,333
And1: 2,723
Joined: Dec 08, 2011
 

Re: Luke Walton can he survive 2021-2022 season thread? How is he doing? 

Post#31 » by blind prophet » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:54 am

The Kings will be at home for the next 7 days, 4 games. Would give the replacement some time to get prepared. If it doesn't happen tomorrow, look to December 21st ish. Long home stand at the end of the calendar year.
BoogieTime
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,308
And1: 1,633
Joined: Feb 09, 2017
 

Re: Luke Walton can he survive 2021-2022 season thread? How is he doing? 

Post#32 » by BoogieTime » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:02 am

KF10 wrote:Luke is terrible but the team is rotten to its core. It's always been rotten. Fool's gold.


I agree, but we KNOW Luke isnt the answer. Who knows what could happen with a coaching change

The energy is also of a team who is quit on the coach
jazanetti
Junior
Posts: 294
And1: 44
Joined: Apr 13, 2017
     

Re: Luke Walton can he survive 2021-2022 season thread? How is he doing? 

Post#33 » by jazanetti » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:45 am

Do you really think that this team can reach PO with any other coach?
The first star of this ream is inefficient scorer without D and playmaking skills.
The second star... well I don't even know who is. Barnes/Holmes/Hield - good but overpaid role players at best.
Youngsters - Hali with no ceiling to be a first scorer and may be even a star. And that's all. Mitchell, Davies, are not young, Bagley is bust.
I think it's time to get rid of everything, call Himkie and start the Process.
We are even starting Metu and Harkless, both were out of rotation in PO teams!

Sent from my M2007J20CG using RealGM mobile app
simonbampfield
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,112
And1: 1,122
Joined: Jul 23, 2004
Location: In my office
Contact:
       

Re: Luke Walton can he survive 2021-2022 season thread? How is he doing? 

Post#34 » by simonbampfield » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:57 am

Well we know he is gone don't we? The question is when.

I would make the call on December 4. Good chance we still have a poor record then, will lose to the Clippers and we have 4 days before the next game.
That next game would be home against Orlando and then a road trip with two being winnable.
If you're Monte though you need to shoot your shot on the roster you want, otherwise you might not get the chance before you get canned.
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
BoogieTime
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,308
And1: 1,633
Joined: Feb 09, 2017
 

Re: Luke Walton can he survive 2021-2022 season thread? How is he doing? 

Post#35 » by BoogieTime » Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:36 am

jazanetti wrote:Do you really think that this team can reach PO with any other coach?


One way to find out.

The only other avenue is trading players while they are down on value

A new coach at minimum should be able to increase the effort, to raise the trade value, of the players who may need shipping out
BoogieTime
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,308
And1: 1,633
Joined: Feb 09, 2017
 

Re: Luke Walton can he survive 2021-2022 season thread? How is he doing? 

Post#36 » by BoogieTime » Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:39 am

simonbampfield wrote:Well we know he is gone don't we? The question is when.

I would make the call on December 4. Good chance we still have a poor record then, will lose to the Clippers and we have 4 days before the next game.
That next game would be home against Orlando and then a road trip with two being winnable.
If you're Monte though you need to shoot your shot on the roster you want, otherwise you might not get the chance before you get canned.


I think management may be a little intent on the playoffs than to allow the team to wither another few weeks, but we will see
rpa
RealGM
Posts: 14,037
And1: 6,583
Joined: Nov 24, 2006

Re: Luke Walton can he survive 2021-2022 season thread? How is he doing? 

Post#37 » by rpa » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:28 am

BoogieTime wrote:
simonbampfield wrote:Well we know he is gone don't we? The question is when.

I would make the call on December 4. Good chance we still have a poor record then, will lose to the Clippers and we have 4 days before the next game.
That next game would be home against Orlando and then a road trip with two being winnable.
If you're Monte though you need to shoot your shot on the roster you want, otherwise you might not get the chance before you get canned.


I think management may be a little intent on the playoffs than to allow the team to wither another few weeks, but we will see


With the Kings being underdogs in their next 9 games McNair would be an idiot to fire him at this point. After the replacement comes in and goes 2-7 or even 0-9 it's McNair who takes the fall.

Better to write off those games, make a strong case for firing Walton (0-9 would give the team a 10-game losing streak and a 6-18 record), and then give the replacement a good shot to win.


Alternatively you dump your vets and make Walton tank commander. 2022 draft looks decent right now.
BoogieTime
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,308
And1: 1,633
Joined: Feb 09, 2017
 

Re: Luke Walton can he survive 2021-2022 season thread? How is he doing? 

Post#38 » by BoogieTime » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:08 am

rpa wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:
simonbampfield wrote:Well we know he is gone don't we? The question is when.

I would make the call on December 4. Good chance we still have a poor record then, will lose to the Clippers and we have 4 days before the next game.
That next game would be home against Orlando and then a road trip with two being winnable.
If you're Monte though you need to shoot your shot on the roster you want, otherwise you might not get the chance before you get canned.


I think management may be a little intent on the playoffs than to allow the team to wither another few weeks, but we will see


With the Kings being underdogs in their next 9 games McNair would be an idiot to fire him at this point. After the replacement comes in and goes 2-7 or even 0-9 it's McNair who takes the fall.

Better to write off those games, make a strong case for firing Walton (0-9 would give the team a 10-game losing streak and a 6-18 record), and then give the replacement a good shot to win.


Alternatively you dump your vets and make Walton tank commander. 2022 draft looks decent right now.


Playoffs would be over, and the year would be written off. I'm not sure threatening Walton, and saying through Amick/shams there is the internal belief that this could be a playoff team points to those behind the scene allowing this to be a dead year without a fight.

Whether or not they should is another question. Hopefully McNair has the right to tank if he'd like, but I think Vivek is too hands on still

I'm not sure McNair needs an excuse to fire Walton as of now, and I think allowing the interim to flounder would give reason for him to bring his guy in this summer, no?
User avatar
blind prophet
General Manager
Posts: 9,333
And1: 2,723
Joined: Dec 08, 2011
 

Re: Luke Walton can he survive 2021-2022 season thread? How is he doing? 

Post#39 » by blind prophet » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:20 pm

Amick will be on 1140 today at 8:05. Assume he will talk some Walton. I'll be at work though so can't listen. Would appreciate some notes if any of you fellas have the time.
User avatar
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
Posts: 4,469
And1: 3,314
Joined: Jul 06, 2013
Location: Sacramento, CA
     

Re: Luke Walton can he survive 2021-2022 season thread? How is he doing? 

Post#40 » by codydaze » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:18 pm

simonbampfield wrote:Well we know he is gone don't we? The question is when.

I would make the call on December 4. Good chance we still have a poor record then, will lose to the Clippers and we have 4 days before the next game.
That next game would be home against Orlando and then a road trip with two being winnable.
If you're Monte though you need to shoot your shot on the roster you want, otherwise you might not get the chance before you get canned.


I could definitely see December 4th being the last game for Walton. Get through a tough stretch of the schedule and then give the interim some time to prepare and get ready for a softer stretch of schedule. At this point, I don't think he's making it to Christmas though.

Return to Sacramento Kings