ImageImageImageImageImage

THE Off-Season Thread 2022-23

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,253

Re: Too early Off-Season thread 

Post#21 » by wco81 » Mon May 2, 2022 10:10 pm

Kings have 7 expirings after next season (so July 2023), with Barnes and Holiday earning the most, $18.3 and $6.3 million.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/sacramento-kings/yearly/cap/

So there could be a lot of action in the offseason or by the trade deadline.

Kings are #7 in the draft position so 7.5% chance for the #1 pick and 32% chance to get into the top 4.

https://www.tankathon.com

Did the Kings trade Haliburton more because they wanted Sabonis or more because they are confident about Davion's trajectory?

Does the GM get the final say on the draft or does Vivek still have the say. It's one thing for the owner to sign off on free agent signings or trades, since he has to write the checks.

But maybe he should keep a low profile given his previous involvement in drafts? I remember one footage showed him talking about picking Stauskas.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,246

Post#22 » by blind prophet » Fri May 6, 2022 2:14 am

Covington just signed an extension...
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,573

Post#23 » by LightTheBeam » Fri May 6, 2022 4:23 am

blind prophet wrote:Covington just signed an extension...

That hurts. Our options of adding forwards this offseason are really slim. We need to hit one in the draft, and use Holmes for another. Look at Memphis such a long athletic team, wish we had a few of those guys..
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#24 » by blind prophet » Fri May 6, 2022 4:33 am

RipPizzaGuy wrote:

That hurts. Our options of adding forwards this offseason are really slim. We need to hit one in the draft, and use Holmes for another. Look at Memphis such a long athletic team, wish we had a few of those guys..

Then Barnes is expiring after next year. Looking like it may be in our best interest to consider offering him another contract.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#25 » by LightTheBeam » Fri May 6, 2022 4:51 am

blind prophet wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:

Then Barnes is expiring after next year. Looking like it may be in our best interest to consider offering him another contract.

It feels that way. I wouldn't mind splitting him into a few younger guys. It feels like his time here has ran its course, we haven't really improved with him on the court. Good player, even better person, but might be time for some new blood. Wouldn't mind shipping him to LAC for something like Mann/Morris if they are ready to move on from Morris? Maybe a 3 team trade makes more sense. Include Holmes. Barnes to a 3rd team, a pg back to LAC.
rpa
RealGM
And1: 7,453

Post#26 » by rpa » Fri May 6, 2022 9:58 pm

wco81 wrote:Did the Kings trade Haliburton more because they wanted Sabonis or more because they are confident about Davion's trajectory?

I think the Kings saw Fox being hurt (a LOT) by Haliburton's on-ball presence and decided they needed a better fit that would allow Fox to regain his ball dominance. We saw that after the trade. If it was a mirage or not is a different question.
ICMTM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 176

Post#27 » by ICMTM » Tue May 31, 2022 5:44 am

The way I see this is the Kings need an all star level wing player. DiVencenzo isn't going to be that. Barnes is 30, so it's conceivable we have seen his best days. Davis has been impressive considering he has been low risk low reward, but I'm not seeing all star there either. Harkless, Lamb (if he hasn't expired), and Holiday are roll players. Everyone listed is a role player.

I'd love for the Kings to move on from Harrison Barnes.
KANGZZZZZ!
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,253

Post#28 » by wco81 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:41 am

Do you think Kings are really interested in Looney?

They're trying to move Holmes as it is, aren't they?

Also Ivey seems to have similar game to Fox, coast to coast speed with the ball.

There are comps of him to Ja but then why isn't Fox also compared to Ja? He's got the explosiveness but probably has never finished in the restricted area with the proficiency Ja displayed last season.

Kings have used a lot of picks on guards and it seems they need more wings than backcourt players.
OxAndFox
Veteran
And1: 2,136

Post#29 » by OxAndFox » Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:38 am

wco81 wrote:Do you think Kings are really interested in Looney?

They're trying to move Holmes as it is, aren't they?

Also Ivey seems to have similar game to Fox, coast to coast speed with the ball.

There are comps of him to Ja but then why isn't Fox also compared to Ja? He's got the explosiveness but probably has never finished in the restricted area with the proficiency Ja displayed last season.

Kings have used a lot of picks on guards and it seems they need more wings than backcourt players.

1 - I find the Looney talk really, really interesting. Teams that need a good rebounding big, but have that outside shooting 4 already in place should be knocking on his door, that isn't the Kings.
2 - I'm of the opinion that Ivey and Fox can play on the same team. The offense should run through Sabonis anyway and to have two extremely quick guys playing off him will be advantageous.
Adding to this, if Mike Brown is even a halfway decent coach and the Kings do draft Ivey, he would be telling both Fox/Ivey to just run as soon as Sabonis is in position to rebound the ball because he will be pushing it up the floor and is a terrific outlet passer to boot.
3 - Prior to last season there were comps of Fox/Ja also with the latter being given the slight edge. Ja took the leap Fox needed to last season. Here's hoping he does that this season and if he starts the 22-23 campaign the way he finished, it looks like he will, at least on the offensive side of the ball.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#30 » by LightTheBeam » Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:00 pm

wco81 wrote:

Fox actually in a down year last year, still finished with a better percentage than Ja around the rim. Fox is also a much more efficient mid range shooter from 10' to the 3pt line. Biggest differences to me are -

1. Ja has a take on the world mentality. He's got that "edge" to him that just doesn't show up on stat sheets. The killer mentality.
2. Ja gets to the rim more often than Fox. There's games where Fox displays the ability to just constantly take his man off dribble, and you wonder why he doesn't do it every game that aggressively.
3. The Grizzlies won and the Kings haven't. If the Kings become the surprise team next year and win 40-50 games, the talk around Fox will quickly shift back to where it was 2 years ago.
Adg1987
Sophomore
And1: 43

Post#31 » by Adg1987 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:08 pm

ICMTM wrote:The way I see this is the Kings need an all star level wing player. DiVencenzo isn't going to be that. Barnes is 30, so it's conceivable we have seen his best days. Davis has been impressive considering he has been low risk low reward, but I'm not seeing all star there either. Harkless, Lamb (if he hasn't expired), and Holiday are roll players. Everyone listed is a role player.

I'd love for the Kings to move on from Harrison Barnes.

I 100% agree with you. Move on from Harrison Barnes. Divencenzo is a backup at best.
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#32 » by blind prophet » Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:23 am

Hey Rip feel like making a brand new off season thread?

I'll post this here though for now.

Depth

PG Fox, Mitchell
SG Holiday, Davis
SF Murray, Harkless
PF Barnes, Lyles, Metu
C Sabonis, Holmes, Len

Mitchell and Fox together if they start makes us lean at pg, saw you guys talking about it and I agree. Holiday can play some small ball sf, same with DDV if we keep him.

So what should we be prioritizing this off season if we can't pull off a trade? Not meant to be in order.

1. 3d ball handler
2. SF full size depth

What's after that?
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post Draft - Off-Season Thread 

Post#33 » by LightTheBeam » Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:43 am

blind prophet wrote:Hey Rip feel like making a brand new off season thread?

Depth

PG Fox, Mitchell
SG Holiday, Davis
SF Murray, Harkless
PF Barnes, Lyles, Metu
C Sabonis, Holmes, Len

Mitchell and Fox together if they start makes us lean at pg, saw you guys talking about it and I agree. Holiday can play some small ball sf, same with DDV if we keep him.

So what should we be prioritizing this off season if we can't pull off a trade? Not meant to be in order.

1. 3d ball handler
2. SF full size depth

What's after that?

Good idea!

Personally I want Mike Brown to bring in some of his guys from GS.

Initially I had my eye on bringing in OPJ (still love that) but I've seen Ox mention GPII and I think he's an interested target as well. Talk about 2 guys who bring defensive intensity and know what it's like to play with a winner. GPII is a bit risky as we haven't seen him succeed outside GS, but I'm guessing his defense would translate. If we could use the MLE/BAE between those 2 I would be fine with that type of offseason while we bide our time for another big move.

Here is how I WANT to see the rotation if we could do that and can't trade Holmes. But Id guess Holiday gets 20+mpg if hes on the team to start the season, so you can at minimum swap Davis out for him.

Fox (34) / Mitchell (14)
Mitchell (16) / GPII (16) / Davis (16)
Barnes (30) / OPJ (18)
Murray (28) / OPJ (10) / Lyles (10)
Sabonis (34) / Holmes (14)

10 man rotation. Obviously this is just an outline, but how averages would play out. Notable reduction in Barnes minutes. Every year it seems like Barnes comes out on fire, and by Christmas he's a totally different player that is exhausted from being our only reliable forward. With OPJ/Murray we can afford to give him less and hopefully more effective minutes.

Without trades I can't really see many other moves. All we can do is spend what I put above and its questionable if Vivek is even willing to do that.

With trades that opens the door for a lot. Would love to move the trash combo
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,536

Re: Post Draft - Off-Season Thread 

Post#34 » by codydaze » Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:48 am

RipPizzaGuy wrote:

Depth

PG Fox, Mitchell
SG Holiday, Davis
SF Murray, Harkless
PF Barnes, Lyles, Metu
C Sabonis, Holmes, Len

1. 3d ball handler
2. SF full size depth

What's after that?

Good idea!

Initially I had my eye on bringing in OPJ (still love that) but I've seen Ox mention GPII and I think he's an interested target as well. Talk about 2 guys who bring defensive intensity and know what it's like to play with a winner. GPII is a bit risky as we haven't seen him succeed outside GS, but I'm guessing his defense would translate. If we could use the MLE/BAE between those 2 I would be fine with that type of offseason while we bide our time for another big move.

Here is how I WANT to see the rotation if we could do that and can't trade Holmes. But Id guess Holiday gets 20+mpg if hes on the team to start the season, so you can at minimum swap Davis out for him.

Fox (34) / Mitchell (14)
Barnes (30) / OPJ (18)

10 man rotation. Obviously this is just an outline, but how averages would play out. Notable reduction in Barnes minutes. Every year it seems like Barnes comes out on fire, and by Christmas he's a totally different player that is exhausted from being our only reliable forward. With OPJ/Murray we can afford to give him less and hopefully more effective minutes.

Without trades I can't really see many other moves. All we can do is spend what I put above and its questionable if Vivek is even willing to do that.

Thread didn't go super far back so I just updated the title and stickied it. Let's keep the activity on this board going!
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,536

Post#35 » by codydaze » Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:53 am

RipPizzaGuy wrote:

Depth

PG Fox, Mitchell
SG Holiday, Davis
SF Murray, Harkless
PF Barnes, Lyles, Metu
C Sabonis, Holmes, Len

1. 3d ball handler
2. SF full size depth

What's after that?

Good idea!

Fox (34) / Mitchell (14)
Barnes (30) / OPJ (18)

Also, if we can trade Holmes+Holiday for a 3, I'd like to see us bring back Damian Jones for that backup 5 spot. I'd probably cut Lyles out of the rotation in the scenario as well.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#36 » by LightTheBeam » Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:02 am

codydaze wrote:Also, if we can trade Holmes+Holiday for a 3, I'd like to see us bring back Damian Jones for that backup 5 spot. I'd probably cut Lyles out of the rotation in the scenario as well.

Ya including trades is another ball game.

Id like to offer the Clippers Holmes + Holiday + 2nds for Morris + Mann. Not sure how committed they are to Mann, but they have a ton of depth at those spots. If they turned that down I'd be fine with just Holmes + Holiday for Morris. Could still sign GPII + OPJ. Then resign Jones (Who I love off the bench)

Guards - Fox, Mitchell, GPII, Davis
Wing/Forwards - Barnes, Murray, Morris, OPJ
Center - Sabonis, Jones

Many don't like Morris, and I haven't always been a fan of his antics. But I think the Kings could use a guy like him to set the tone. We are such a soft unemotional team at times.
blind prophet
RealGM

Re: THE Off-Season Thread 2022-23 

Post#37 » by blind prophet » Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:11 am

Should we consider a sign & trade with DDV? Only ask for like a top 55 protected to get a tpe?
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#38 » by LightTheBeam » Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:40 am

blind prophet wrote:Should we consider a sign & trade with DDV? Only ask for like a top 55 protected to get a tpe?

This is my preference. I wasn't very impressed by his time here. That + complaining about us hiding him. If Monte thinks he can recover then fine, but I need him to know hes last on the pecking order. Don't need him jacking up 7-8 stupid 3's per game.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#39 » by City of Trees » Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:21 am

One of my favorite free agent players for the Kings is Isaiah Hartenstein. He would be a perfect 7 footer off the bench who provides defense, rebounding, and playmaking. Watching Denver completely shift offensive identity when Joker was on the bench was an eye opener. If the Kings are going to run a similar Sabonis-centric offense then it only makes sense your back up should have a similar skill set. The drop off for Denver wasn't as dramatic when Cousins played. I would move Holmes and Len, let Jones walk, and pursue Hartenstein. He's only 24 years old and would be a little cheaper than Holmes.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#40 » by City of Trees » Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:48 am

Kelly Oubre Jr. and Royce O'Neal are two wing players who could be had for the right price. Oubre Jr. for Holmes?

Return to Sacramento Kings