Coaching search

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,573

Re: Coaching search 

Post#41 » by LightTheBeam » Thu May 12, 2022 6:46 am

rpa wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:I didn't watch enough Agbaji to have an opinion. But someone I trust was telling me he gives off Buddy Hield feeling. Personally id rather shoot for more of a 3/4 than a 2/3. I get that you take the BPA and figure it out, but I really liked Griffin. I think he can develop similar to how OG Anunoby did, and they have the same downfall which is the injuries. Great size, great frame, and I think his floor is a really good 3&D with a good chance to become more.

I think Griffin is a trap pick. How many years do we have to see guys get drafted who fit the following description: "he'll be a great 3&D player [even though he was horrid at shooting or defense in college]"?

Griffin's that guy this year. Sure, he can shoot, but he was an awful defender playing against far worse competition than he'll see in the NBA. Anunoby, as an example, was a far more accomplished defender in college--based on nearly any metric you want to pick.

My pick: Eason.

Elite motor.
Showed massive skill improvement from frosh to soph year.
Shot 80% from the line and 36% from 3 on volume.
Crazy active on the defensive end.

Guy is already a 3&D player plus has a motor that just keeps going.

If I'm the Kings I consider him as high as 4 (after Chet, Jabari, and Paolo).
What metric has Griffin as a bad defender? DBPM has him as a plus. I'll be honest I don't watch a ton of college. Saw about a handful of his games, same during the tournament, and he seemed like a fine defender to me.

I really liked what I saw of him, but again I don't watch a ton of college. So open to more insight on his negative defense.

Here's what the ringers Kevin O'Connor had to say about his defense "Great defensive potential largely thanks to his tough mindset and impressive measurables (including a 7-foot wingspan). He has a wide, sturdy frame and the pound-for-pound strength of a big man. If he’s able to master his fundamentals he could become a lockdown defender."

Can't teach that 7' wing span. Meanwhile Eason only 6'9 wingspan. Tired of kings being the smallest least athletic team. We don't create or force turnovers. We don't have any size. Griffin from what I saw and read is a far more upside pick. The kings continue drafting safe, and it never works. We took Davion, and look at Memphis took williams. A much riskier/higher upside pick, and 2 years from now the regret there will be massive.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using RealGM mobile app
BobbyJackson
Ballboy
And1: 16

Post#42 » by BobbyJackson » Thu May 12, 2022 7:59 pm

im kind of new to posting to message boards. does anyone on here post anywhere else? this board is shockingly dead compare to other team boards on realgm. thanks
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#43 » by LightTheBeam » Thu May 12, 2022 8:39 pm

BobbyJackson wrote:im kind of new to posting to message boards. does anyone on here post anywhere else? this board is shockingly dead compare to other team boards on realgm. thanks

Its been dead the last few years unfortunately. We had a slight peak right after the Sabonis trade, but that quickly fell off. Now with the season over its completely dead.

R/Kings is pretty active for Kings content, although i'm not a huge fan of the Reddit forums. And you can always post in the general board here as well.

There's a few other forums. I tried https://community.kingsfans.com/ for a little, but wasn't a big fan. Its more active than realgm, but still pretty dead.
BobbyJackson
Ballboy
And1: 16

Post#44 » by BobbyJackson » Thu May 12, 2022 9:25 pm

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
BobbyJackson wrote:im kind of new to posting to message boards. does anyone on here post anywhere else? this board is shockingly dead compare to other team boards on realgm. thanks

Its been dead the last few years unfortunately. We had a slight peak right after the Sabonis trade, but that quickly fell off. Now with the season over its completely dead.

R/Kings is pretty active for Kings content, although i'm not a huge fan of the Reddit forums. And you can always post in the general board here as well.

There's a few other forums. I tried https://community.kingsfans.com/ for a little, but wasn't a big fan. Its more active than realgm, but still pretty dead.

thanks. i am very surprised by this, since the kings really do have a great and active fan base, especially for the product they put out. i thought this would be one of the more active boards
rpa
RealGM
And1: 7,454

Post#45 » by rpa » Fri May 13, 2022 4:12 am

RipPizzaGuy wrote:What metric has Griffin as a bad defender? DBPM has him as a plus. I'll be honest I don't watch a ton of college. Saw about a handful of his games, same during the tournament, and he seemed like a fine defender to me.

- BPM is well below what you'd consider a good defender. In fact it's one of the lowest of all the guards/wings projected in the first round.
- I'm a sucker for steals as a decent indication of some combination of activity and basketball IQ. Griffin had < 1 per 36 which should be a huge red flag. This is on the lower end of nearly every first rounder (regardless of position).

RipPizzaGuy wrote:Here's what the ringers Kevin O'Connor had to say about his defense "Great defensive potential largely thanks to his tough mindset and impressive measurables (including a 7-foot wingspan). He has a wide, sturdy frame and the pound-for-pound strength of a big man. If he’s able to master his fundamentals he could become a lockdown defender."

The bolded part is specifically what I was referring to about how players get hyped as "projecting" to be good defenders every year due to physical attributes, but they've never actually been good defenders when playing against far worse competition.

RipPizzaGuy wrote:Can't teach that 7' wing span. Meanwhile Eason only 6'9 wingspan.

Eason's wingspan is between 6'9 and 7'3 depending on the source. When you see him, though, it's pretty clear that 6'9 doesn't pass the smell test. He's 6'8 and long and a 6'9 wingspan is just +1" vs height. Again, doesn't pass the smell test.

RipPizzaGuy wrote:Tired of kings being the smallest least athletic team. We don't create or force turnovers. We don't have any size. Griffin from what I saw and read is a far more upside pick. The kings continue drafting safe, and it never works. We took Davion, and look at Memphis took williams. A much riskier/higher upside pick, and 2 years from now the regret there will be massive.

I was super high on Williams and still am.

I don't get Griffin as the upside pick. You're essentially selecting him based on his high school work and in spite of his college work. At least with Williams (who was also a top prospect) you can point to his utterly horrible COVID season (where everything went wrong for him) as essentially being worthless from a projection standpoint.

Lastly, I'm starting to think that Griffin reminds me a bit of a former King coming out of college: McLemore. I hated the McLemore pick. Why? Because he could shoot and did nothing else. He accounted for just 4.5 steals+assists+blocks (per 40). He wasn't creating baskets for team mates or getting stops on the other end. Griffin? 3.4 (per 40). When I see a guy as physically gifted as McLemore (and now Griffin) and skilled enough to shoot that well and they have such low numbers in the IQ and playmaking stats? It's a HUGE red flag.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,536

Post#46 » by codydaze » Fri May 13, 2022 3:58 pm

BobbyJackson wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:

thanks. i am very surprised by this, since the kings really do have a great and active fan base, especially for the product they put out. i thought this would be one of the more active boards

The losing doesn't help much here. There are still quite a few Kings fans that are active on the General Board and the T&T board (check those out if you haven't) and I'm sure if we start to see some success the posters will come back out.

Welcome to the board though!
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#47 » by LightTheBeam » Fri May 13, 2022 4:17 pm

rpa wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:What metric has Griffin as a bad defender? DBPM has him as a plus. I'll be honest I don't watch a ton of college. Saw about a handful of his games, same during the tournament, and he seemed like a fine defender to me.

- BPM is well below what you'd consider a good defender. In fact it's one of the lowest of all the guards/wings projected in the first round.
- I'm a sucker for steals as a decent indication of some combination of activity and basketball IQ. Griffin had < 1 per 36 which should be a huge red flag. This is on the lower end of nearly every first rounder (regardless of position).

RipPizzaGuy wrote:Here's what the ringers Kevin O'Connor had to say about his defense "Great defensive potential largely thanks to his tough mindset and impressive measurables (including a 7-foot wingspan). He has a wide, sturdy frame and the pound-for-pound strength of a big man. If he’s able to master his fundamentals he could become a lockdown defender."

The bolded part is specifically what I was referring to about how players get hyped as "projecting" to be good defenders every year due to physical attributes, but they've never actually been good defenders when playing against far worse competition.

RipPizzaGuy wrote:Can't teach that 7' wing span. Meanwhile Eason only 6'9 wingspan.

Eason's wingspan is between 6'9 and 7'3 depending on the source. When you see him, though, it's pretty clear that 6'9 doesn't pass the smell test. He's 6'8 and long and a 6'9 wingspan is just +1" vs height. Again, doesn't pass the smell test.

RipPizzaGuy wrote:Tired of kings being the smallest least athletic team. We don't create or force turnovers. We don't have any size. Griffin from what I saw and read is a far more upside pick. The kings continue drafting safe, and it never works. We took Davion, and look at Memphis took williams. A much riskier/higher upside pick, and 2 years from now the regret there will be massive.

I don't get Griffin as the upside pick. You're essentially selecting him based on his high school work and in spite of his college work. At least with Williams (who was also a top prospect) you can point to his utterly horrible COVID season (where everything went wrong for him) as essentially being worthless from a projection standpoint.

Lastly, I'm starting to think that Griffin reminds me a bit of a former King coming out of college: McLemore. I hated the McLemore pick. Why? Because he could shoot and did nothing else. He accounted for just 4.5 steals+assists+blocks (per 40). He wasn't creating baskets for team mates or getting stops on the other end. Griffin? 3.4 (per 40). When I see a guy as physically gifted as McLemore (and now Griffin) and skilled enough to shoot that well and they have such low numbers in the IQ and playmaking stats? It's a HUGE red flag.

You bring up some very valid points. But Griffin was also one of the youngest players in college. He barely turned 18 when the season started.

You aren't wrong, a lot of what we talk about is potential (outside of a good frame, great shot), but I feel that's what the Kings need to do. We both agree taking 22 year old Mitchell was a "safe" bad pick. I think the Kings need to start thinking potential rather than safe picks. And you use covid as an excuse for derailing Williams season, Griffin is a player who missed his entire senior year of high school ball. Was eased into the first 1/3rd of his freshman year at Duke. Its not crazy to think some seasoning could unlock another level.

In terms of Griffin not really creating for teammates, I think some of that can be pointed to the fact they have 5 guys coming out who will all be drafted. 4 of his 7.5 shots a game were basically spot up 3s. He played off Banchero, Moore, Keels, Roach. Eason didn't really create for his teammates, and had nearly twice the usage that Griffin did.

I'm not even saying Eason is a bad pick. I've sold myself a little on there being a few decent choices even if Sac stays at #7. The main guy I want to stay away from is actually Agbaji who probably has more of those McLemore similarities (and is already 22) than I believe Griffin does.

Maybe I'm over thinking the age gap. but I believe hes the youngest prospect at least in the lotto, id be interested to see where Griffin is at age 21.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,775

Post#48 » by BoogieTime » Sun May 15, 2022 9:49 pm

rpa wrote:

I’m not going to even entertain drafting these kids in that range

I said from the beginning the pick will be moved, as the team is in a win now throttle.

The team has two years with Sabonis, and a finite way to improve over free agency

If the team doesn’t jump, the pick will go bye bye in a trade. You don’t draft a question mark kid at this juncture

Apparently Matt George said he had solid word the Kings would indeed look to move the pick if they don’t jump

I’ll repeat this in the draft thread when it pops up
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,775

Post#49 » by BoogieTime » Mon May 16, 2022 9:26 pm

I thought it was just the team keeping Stotts/Atkinson away from interviewing, but it also could've been Monte's length of contract (per wiretap he is a lame duck)
rpa
RealGM

Post#50 » by rpa » Wed May 18, 2022 6:23 pm

Bumping this with official measurements:

Read on Twitter
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#51 » by LightTheBeam » Thu May 19, 2022 6:11 am

rpa wrote:

Read on Twitter
Impressive. You've been higher on Eason than anyone I've talked to. What do you think the so called "experts" are all missing? I haven't seen him ever mocked in the top 10

rpa
RealGM

Post#52 » by rpa » Thu May 19, 2022 6:56 pm

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
rpa wrote:

Read on Twitter
Impressive. You've been higher on Eason than anyone I've talked to. What do you think the so called "experts" are all missing? I haven't seen him ever mocked in the top 10

I think he's mostly been ignored for a few reasons:
1) He's not a freshman.
2) His team was just OK--6th in the SEC and finished unranked
3) He was a reserve
4) He's not a flashy guard or a big time scorer
5) He wasn't highly ranked out of HS (93rd)

IMO he's going to rise in the process, though--assuming that his interviews don't tank. Think about it this way: every year we see the measurables and go "holy ****, that guy is crazy athletic OR long OR tall", but then they don't have the on court play to back it up. Or we see the opposite: decent on court play, but then the measurables make us wonder if he can hang in the league. Walker Kessler had over 6 blocks per 36 at AU, but does anyone think he's a defensive anchor? Why not? Measurables.

Then you go and look at Eason. Elite measurables. Then you go look at his on court highlights and see that, while still a bit raw, there are times when he looks like he has, say, scoring chops and defensive lockdown abilities. Then you go look at his production and it's off the charts.
ICMTM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 176

Post#53 » by ICMTM » Tue May 31, 2022 5:31 am

This forum wasn't ever really that busy. I used to moderate this forum, and an off topic forum (Media Lounge). It was a busy forum. Anyhow for me forums aren't mobile friendly. I used to be in front of a computer for hours, and now hardly at all.

The thing that's still good though is you have smart people who post here.
KANGZZZZZ!

Return to Sacramento Kings