Total votes: 62

rpa
RealGM
And1: 7,453

Re: Draft Thread - Kings move up to #4 

Post#61 » by rpa » Wed May 18, 2022 11:40 pm

City of Trees wrote:
rpa wrote:.

Given the age issue with Sharpe (nearly 20 at draft time) and position and lack of tape... I'm starting to think I might pass.

Sharpe will not be close to 20 at draft time. He is 18 years old and turns 19 on May 30th

Good catch. For some reason I had it in my head from previous conversations that he was an older frosh, but he's just an older incoming frosh (ie if he stayed at school and come out he'd be similar to some of those older players)
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,573

Post#62 » by LightTheBeam » Wed May 18, 2022 11:44 pm

rpa wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:Just because you are the #1 recruit out of HS, doesn't mean jack when it comes to the draft. Morant wasn't in the top 100, Lamelo Ball was #21, Trae Young was #23. But I remember Harrison Barnes was #1, Marvin Bagley was #1, Harry Giles was #1, Skal was #2.

Previous 16 #1 rated RSCI prospects coming out of HS:
Chet, Cade, Wiseman, Barrett, Bagley, Josh Jackson, Ben Simmons, Mudiay, Wiggins, Noel, Anthony Davis, Barnes, Favors, Brandon Jennings, Mayo, Oden

So pretty miss overall. It looks better if you make the (maybe unfair) assumption that Oden and Noel end up far better if they don't get injured. Few things stick out to me here:
a) While not conclusive the older players tended to have a lower success rate. Jennings, Simmons, Barnes, Mayo, and Jackson were all just about 20 at draft time. You could make an argument that Simmons is the only really good one because of his physical traits being elite and not just good like the rest.
b) Steer clear of guards. Mayo, Jennings, Wiggins, Mudiay, Jackson, and Barrett. Not a single standout in the NBA.

I read some chatter that he was planning to play at some point during the year, but once his camp found out he would be a top 10 pick they decided to mail it in. Again more red flags. I'll be especially curious to watch his pre-draft process.
rpa
RealGM
And1: 7,453

Post#63 » by rpa » Thu May 19, 2022 12:00 am

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
rpa wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:Just because you are the #1 recruit out of HS, doesn't mean jack when it comes to the draft. Morant wasn't in the top 100, Lamelo Ball was #21, Trae Young was #23. But I remember Harrison Barnes was #1, Marvin Bagley was #1, Harry Giles was #1, Skal was #2.

Previous 16 #1 rated RSCI prospects coming out of HS:
Chet, Cade, Wiseman, Barrett, Bagley, Josh Jackson, Ben Simmons, Mudiay, Wiggins, Noel, Anthony Davis, Barnes, Favors, Brandon Jennings, Mayo, Oden

So pretty miss overall. It looks better if you make the (maybe unfair) assumption that Oden and Noel end up far better if they don't get injured. Few things stick out to me here:
a) While not conclusive the older players tended to have a lower success rate. Jennings, Simmons, Barnes, Mayo, and Jackson were all just about 20 at draft time. You could make an argument that Simmons is the only really good one because of his physical traits being elite and not just good like the rest.
b) Steer clear of guards. Mayo, Jennings, Wiggins, Mudiay, Jackson, and Barrett. Not a single standout in the NBA.

I read some chatter that he was planning to play at some point during the year, but once his camp found out he would be a top 10 pick they decided to mail it in. Again more red flags. I'll be especially curious to watch his pre-draft process.

"Found out". Lolz

The #1 rated HS player is always a top 10 pick unless they absolutely bomb. They knew that going in. IMO it was mutually beneficial agreement between him and Coach Cal:

Cal gets show up on TV at his table and go into the living rooms of all the nation's top prospects and say he shepherded yet another top 10 pick into the NBA. Sharpe gets a great mouth piece to hype him up to GMs, prognosticators, etc. "He's one of the best young talents I've seen in years". "He's been great help to the others guy on the team". He also gets full access to the world class facilities they have at Kentucky for free. Oh, and the coeds.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,446

Post#64 » by KF10 » Thu May 19, 2022 12:51 am

Not sure if this was posted:

Read on Twitter
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#65 » by KF10 » Thu May 19, 2022 12:55 am

Sharpe's measurements are similar to Tyreke Evans back in 2009:

Code: Select all

Tyreke Evans, Memphis

Height        Height         Weight.     Wingspan.   Standing Reach     Body Fat %
(shoes)     (no shoes)
6′ 4"          6′ 5.25"      220.6     6′ 11.25"     8′ 8"               7.1

https://www.nbadraft.net/2009-nba-draft-combine-player-measurements/

Sharpe is about 20 pounds lighter, has less BF% and looks to have more vertical leap than Tyreke.

Thoughts?
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#66 » by City of Trees » Thu May 19, 2022 1:19 am

6'5.25 in shoes is disappointing. That means he's actually 6'4 something. I wanted a bigger wing
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#67 » by LightTheBeam » Thu May 19, 2022 1:34 am

Does height matter that much anymore? I tend to look more at standing reach and wingspan. Sure its nice to have that athletic 6'7-6'8 wing, but this dudes wingspan is bigger than Harrison Barnes. This is pretty good size for a shooting guard imo.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#68 » by City of Trees » Thu May 19, 2022 2:36 am

RipPizzaGuy wrote:Does height matter that much anymore? I tend to look more at standing reach and wingspan. Sure its nice to have that athletic 6'7-6'8 wing, but this dudes wingspan is bigger than Harrison Barnes. This is pretty good size for a shooting guard imo.
Richaun is a great example of this. Still, I was hoping for the length plus height. A fan can dream.
SAKURABA216
Starter
And1: 817

Post#69 » by SAKURABA216 » Thu May 19, 2022 2:56 am

Sharp kind of scares me. He isn’t a great shooter or ball handler and with just a great vertical he reminds me of Keon Johnson. His lack of college basketball experience is also cause for concern. I followed Wiseman for the past couple years and his weaknesses would’ve been much more apparent at the time of the draft if only there was more tape on him.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#70 » by City of Trees » Thu May 19, 2022 5:08 am

Names to watch in the 2nd round Jalen Williams and Dalen Terry.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#71 » by LightTheBeam » Thu May 19, 2022 6:10 am

City of Trees wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:Does height matter that much anymore? I tend to look more at standing reach and wingspan. Sure its nice to have that athletic 6'7-6'8 wing, but this dudes wingspan is bigger than Harrison Barnes. This is pretty good size for a shooting guard imo.
Richaun is a great example of this. Still, I was hoping for the length plus height. A fan can dream.
Ehhh.

1. I think that's more important at center than 2g, and still...
2. Draymond is shorter than Holmes and does fine
3. Holmes would be passable if the Kings had good defenders around him. I question if Gobert would have been able to have our defense at an average level.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using RealGM mobile app
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#72 » by KF10 » Thu May 19, 2022 6:51 am

City of Trees wrote:6'5.25 in shoes is disappointing. That means he's actually 6'4 something. I wanted a bigger wing

I don't view Sharpe as a wing in the first place.

His height and length are fine as a guard.

If the Kings are drafting Sharpe to play the 3, then they are doing it wrong.

I don't think Monte is in the position where he has the privilege to swing for the fences and draft BPA. His job is most likely on the line since the Kings didn't made the play-in this past season. Vivek wants to see this team in the playoffs next season. Drafting Sharpe is a high-risk for Monte imo.

I believe Monte is going to play it safe if he keeps the pick. Keegan Murray will be a player Monte will look at to pair up with Sabonis.
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,184

Post#73 » by God Squad » Thu May 19, 2022 11:55 am

Not that I think anything will actually materialize, but I think we're great trading partners if our GM's were looking for deals.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#74 » by LightTheBeam » Thu May 19, 2022 3:18 pm

God Squad wrote:Not that I think anything will actually materialize, but I think we're great trading partners if our GM's were looking for deals.

Toronto has some great pieces that would help Sac (OG & Siakam). Problem is that Siakam is very expensive making it tough to match without including additional value. OG I don't believe is worth the 4th pick. It really complicates things.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,533

Post#75 » by codydaze » Thu May 19, 2022 4:41 pm

KF10 wrote:
City of Trees wrote:6'5.25 in shoes is disappointing. That means he's actually 6'4 something. I wanted a bigger wing

I don't think Monte is in the position where he has the privilege to swing for the fences and draft BPA. His job is most likely on the line since the Kings didn't made the play-in this past season. Vivek wants to see this team in the playoffs next season. Drafting Sharpe is a high-risk for Monte imo.

I believe Monte is going to play it safe if he keeps the pick. Keegan Murray will be a player Monte will look at to pair up with Sabonis.

If you want Keegan Murray, you trade down a couple spots to get him and pick up a couple assets along with it. I'm totally cool with taking Keegan but not at 4.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#76 » by KF10 » Thu May 19, 2022 5:31 pm

codydaze wrote:
KF10 wrote:

If you want Keegan Murray, you trade down a couple spots to get him and pick up a couple assets along with it. I'm totally cool with taking Keegan but not at 4.

Yup. If Monte wants Murray, he needs to trade down and pick up assets along the way. It’s assets management 101 lol

But yeah, Murray doesn’t look too exciting but dude is a proficient scorer and shooter for his position.
jazanetti
Junior
And1: 45

Post#77 » by jazanetti » Thu May 19, 2022 6:53 pm

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
jazanetti wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:I'm a little nervous that Sharpe could go top 3, and Banchero could fall to 4.

If that happens I'll be the happiest man in the world.
Paolo has everything to be franchise player. His floor is Tobaias at least.
I like Sharpe either, while it's so risky.
And I'd definitely say no to give up #4 for Grant or Collins.
Fox + #4 for Mitchell?

Sent from my M2007J20CG using RealGM mobile app

As someone who didn't watch enough college, can someone explain me the Paolo hype. I compared his stats to Marvin Bagely, Bagley was far superior in college.

They seem to have the same weakness. Only go one direction, bad defender, Inconsistent shooter. I get Banchero is the superior passer but what else am I missing? I have ptsd when it comes to this kind of duke big man.

Banchero has nothing in common with Bagley. Tatum was much closer.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using RealGM mobile app
SupaFly1978
Freshman
And1: 37

Post#78 » by SupaFly1978 » Thu May 19, 2022 10:11 pm

SAKURABA216 wrote:Sharp kind of scares me. He isn’t a great shooter or ball handler and with just a great vertical he reminds me of Keon Johnson. His lack of college basketball experience is also cause for concern. I followed Wiseman for the past couple years and his weaknesses would’ve been much more apparent at the time of the draft if only there was more tape on him.

No idea what Kings fans obsession is with Sharpe, I’ve watched a fair amount of his tape, guy looks like he’s standing in quicksand, super slow, not impressed with him at all. We would be complete fools not to pick Ivey. Can you imagine he and Fox at the 1 and the 2, we would blow by the competition every time.
Silver Man
Starter
And1: 525

Post#79 » by Silver Man » Thu May 19, 2022 10:51 pm

SupaFly1978 wrote:
SAKURABA216 wrote:Sharp kind of scares me. He isn’t a great shooter or ball handler and with just a great vertical he reminds me of Keon Johnson. His lack of college basketball experience is also cause for concern. I followed Wiseman for the past couple years and his weaknesses would’ve been much more apparent at the time of the draft if only there was more tape on him.

No idea what Kings fans obsession is with Sharpe, I’ve watched a fair amount of his tape, guy looks like he’s standing in quicksand, super slow, not impressed with him at all. We would be complete fools not to pick Ivey. Can you imagine he and Fox at the 1 and the 2, we would blow by the competition every time.

Not sure any Kings fan is obsessed with Sharpe but watching Ivey defensively last year at Purdue was beyond brutal.
SupaFly1978
Freshman
And1: 37

Post#80 » by SupaFly1978 » Thu May 19, 2022 11:25 pm

Silver Man wrote:
SupaFly1978 wrote:

Not sure any Kings fan is obsessed with Sharpe but watching Ivey defensively last year at Purdue was beyond brutal.

You obviously didn’t watch him much then, because NBAdraft.net ranks him as an 8 defensively, which is highly respectable, Sharpe is rated a 7. Read what they said about Ivey below.

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/jaden-ivey/

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/shaedon-sharpe/

“A really active, quick-handed defender who plays strong on-ball defense at the college level, but is just as adept at jumping passing lanes and causing deflections, likes to flip turnovers into points … Has the athleticism needed to get back in plays after getting beat, capable of making nice chase down blocks … Projects very well to being able to defend anywhere on the perimeter at the NBA level given his physical tools and intensity level, and is among the best overall defenders in this upcoming class.”

Return to Sacramento Kings