Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,002

Re: 2022-2023 Trade thread 

Post#181 » by OGSactownballer » Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:17 am

LightTheBeam wrote:
OGSactownballer wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:This seems like a generous amount of cope from some Kings fans.

Trading 2nd round picks for guys like Bryant, Bey, Plumlee, Richardson has nothing to do with wanting to go from a playoff team to a contender. This was about trying to secure a top 6 seed.

Pelicans, lakers, Clippers, Suns, Dallas, Memphis, Denver, Warriors, Wolves all made trades to get better. From KD, to Josh Richardson. Not many Kings fans were banking on Siakam or KD. But we have many future incoming 2nds. To think we couldn't shore up the backup wing or or backup center is pathetic.

Maybe it means nothing, maybe we fall to the 8th seed and play GS/LA in the play-ins and fall out of the playoffs.

And no... Buy out guys will not come sign in Sac. They will head to Milwaukee, LA, Miami, Phx like they always do.

Let’s be clear about one thing.

The guys go actually have real value and can be with you beyond a 30 game run to a playoff berth actually didn’t just go for seconds. They were traded for another player and generally one that fit the precise need of that team. So likely they weren’t interested in our cast offs or a pack of second round picks.

Right now both Terrence Ross and Will Barton are being bought out. Nerlens Noel is likely to be as well.

These are ideal guys for a playoff run. And they would fit well.

Let’s wait and see what the whole plan is.

Do you think those guys would consider signing in Sac?

PHX and Denver are sitting there with worse benches than ours, and legit championship aspirations. I see anyone worth mentioning in the buyout market heading to Milwaukee, LA, Denver, PHX, Miami

They have to make a roster spot first.

I’d like to see which of those teams can do that right now.

We have several guys who are turning into cap space at seasons end that aren’t playing. They can buy them off the roster immediately and end up paying them the same money but opening a spot for a more effective guy.

But we will see. And maybe we just don’t do anything and win at exactly the same clip we are now then rest of the way and still end up in the 3-6 range because as it stands we have a pretty good head start in the guys who have to climb back in first before they can advance.
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant

Post#182 » by OGSactownballer » Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:23 am

LightTheBeam wrote:
OGSactownballer wrote:
City of Trees wrote:After the dust settles Its essentially a 4 team trade

Det- Wiseman

ATL- Bey

GS- Payton II

POR- Knox/ ATL 2nds

Proving the point that everyone moved and received a PLAYER who is actually PLAYABLE or has potential in the eye of the beholder (Wiseman) and all have about $10 million in salary that has to be exchanged and desired by the receiving team.

In that range we have Holmes - which none of them were interested in - or a two player aggregate that would have required anyone to open a roster spot first.

We weren’t getting in on that deal for any of those guys. Similar situation with other guys that moved as an actual salary and roster spot.

The fact is that we are JUST starting to do well and build player value here. GM’s don’t just buy right into that. Summer or next deadline we are far more likely to be in the thick of things and active because we will have more depth and player value in the roster that is sought out.

What are you even talking about.

I'll repeat. The Hawks gave nothing of value in the deal except 5 2nds.

Bey makes less than 3 million per season.

Nothing here proves anything you said. If the Kings offered 6 2nds for Bey instead of ATL's 5, they would have been in the deal.

You can’t see that ATL had either a TPE large enough or cap space (and a roster spot) to fit in a player without sending anyone out?

We could not do that.

We had a TPE for 4.6 million. And that’s it. And a locked roster. We had to move a player or it didn’t matter if we sent SIXTY seconds we still could not be in that kind of deal.

Now what pisses me off is that they could have tossed three seconds at Philly for Thybulle, got him in the TPE, bought out or outright cut Len, and rolled that way.

But I’m not Monte or Mike Brown. They get paid a lot of money to make those decisions.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,570

Post#183 » by LightTheBeam » Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:29 am

OGSactownballer wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:
OGSactownballer wrote:
Proving the point that everyone moved and received a PLAYER who is actually PLAYABLE or has potential in the eye of the beholder (Wiseman) and all have about $10 million in salary that has to be exchanged and desired by the receiving team.

In that range we have Holmes - which none of them were interested in - or a two player aggregate that would have required anyone to open a roster spot first.

We weren’t getting in on that deal for any of those guys. Similar situation with other guys that moved as an actual salary and roster spot.

The fact is that we are JUST starting to do well and build player value here. GM’s don’t just buy right into that. Summer or next deadline we are far more likely to be in the thick of things and active because we will have more depth and player value in the roster that is sought out.

Nothing here proves anything you said. If the Kings offered 6 2nds for Bey instead of ATL's 5, they would have been in the deal.

You can’t see that ATL had either a ZYPE large enough or cap space (and a roster spot) to fit in a player without sending anyone out?

We could not do that.

We had a TPE for 4.6 million. And that’s it. And a locked roster. We had to move a player or it didn’t matter if we sent SIXTY seconds we still could not be in that kind of deal.

Now what pisses me off is that they could have tossed three seconds at Philly for Thybulle, got him in the TPE, bought out or outright cut Len, and rolled that way.

But I’m not Monte or Mike Brown. They get paid a lot of money to make those decisions.

You actually just proved my point lol

Bey makes 2.9 million per season

You just said yourself we had a TPE for 4.6 million.

I'm no mathematician but....

And in 1 sentence you say we had a locked roster, and the next you say we could have bought out or cut Len.

Thybulle actually makes 1.5 million more than Bey. And sure Thybulle would have been another worthwhile look, I lean towards Bey because we would get another cheap year to look at him.

There is nothing that prevented us from taking a look at Bey other than -

1. Vivek not wanting to spend the money
2. Vivek wanting to hold the 2nds to sell
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,237

Post#184 » by blind prophet » Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:37 am

I think you nailed it bro. I'm going to assume Vivek wanted to keep the seconds to trade for cash, or back for cash. Possibly offload future salary.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#185 » by LightTheBeam » Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:45 am

blind prophet wrote:I think you nailed it bro. I'm going to assume Vivek wanted to keep the seconds to trade for cash, or back for cash. Possibly offload future salary.

Yup. And it is what it is. I'm just tired of seeing Kings fans make excuses for it.

11 other teams in the West made a move to get better. But we are so fragile minded and used to losing that we say things like "well we didn't want to ruin the chemistry, standing pat was a solid choice".

To be clear, I'm not picking on any individual poster here. I've seen that said on Reddit, Twitter, Realgm and by my friends/family basically the last 2 days.

Give me a break. If adding a solid bench player is going to destroy this team chemistry we have much bigger issues.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,529

Post#186 » by codydaze » Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:53 am

LightTheBeam wrote:
blind prophet wrote:I think you nailed it bro. I'm going to assume Vivek wanted to keep the seconds to trade for cash, or back for cash. Possibly offload future salary.

Yup. And it is what it is. I'm just tired of seeing Kings fans make excuses for it.

11 other teams in the West made a move to get better. But we are so fragile minded and used to losing that we say things like "well we didn't want to ruin the chemistry, standing pat was a solid choice".

To be clear, I'm not picking on any individual poster here. I've seen that said on Reddit, Twitter, Realgm and by my friends/family basically the last 2 days.

Give me a break. If adding a solid bench player is going to destroy this team chemistry we have much bigger issues.

I also don't think it's fair to blame Vivek for something like not sending seconds for a bench player who has the potential to marginally improve the team. That just makes no sense. Monte is the GM and has the agency to do what he wants based on everything else we've seen during his tenure. Scapegoating Vivek because we didn't get Mason Plumlee or spend 4 second round picks for Josh Richardson is pretty weak in my opinion.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,237

Post#187 » by blind prophet » Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:59 am

LightTheBeam wrote:

Well we have a ton of reference in Vivek's time selling picks for cash, or related issues.

I mean you could go to the ultimate LOL of Papa G trying to be snuck in a deal, but instead getting cash to cover his guaranteed contract.

So until proven otherwise, that is the safe wager.

We've seen the fanbase defend things like Jarl Thompandry & things like that too.

Psychologically there are a few unique things about Sacramento.

1. We are a diverse laid back city where most people get along, meaning not as vicious or cut throat as other places.
2. Vivek saved the team and kept them here.
3. A long culture of losing, I've been around since they came to town, like in the office building before the Arco was complete.

We are care bears.
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant

Post#188 » by OGSactownballer » Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:01 am

LightTheBeam wrote:
OGSactownballer wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:

You can’t see that ATL had either a ZYPE large enough or cap space (and a roster spot) to fit in a player without sending anyone out?

We could not do that.

And in 1 sentence you say we had a locked roster, and the next you say we could have bought out or cut Len.

Thybulle actually makes 1.5 million more than Bey. And sure Thybulle would have been another worthwhile look, I lean towards Bey because we would get another cheap year to look at him.

You may be right. I have been all about hanging Vivek out there to blame and he absolutely has been in the past.

That being said - and acknowledging that I had Bey’s salary as higher than that - I can see where MONTE would not be interested in Bey in this situation because 1) he is yet another no defense guy and 2) there are enough “developmental” guys here that there likely isn’t room to handle another right now and it wouldn’t help a playoff push.

Again, let’s see what happens now after the buyouts go through and if he goes out and grabs a vet or two that can actually reliably improve the team for the playoffs.
OxAndFox
Veteran
And1: 2,104

Post#189 » by OxAndFox » Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:23 am

I'm not too disappointed with the deadline. Having said that, Bey being available for 5-6 second rounders. You absolutely do that deal. Worst case he is a cheap expiring filler as a 24yo next year you can put in a big deal for a star.
He can shoot the ball and along with Kessler we would have actually had some wing depth for the first time in, like forever.
Four of the seconds could have been over the next 2 years.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#190 » by LightTheBeam » Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:01 am

OGSactownballer wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:
OGSactownballer wrote:

We could not do that.

You may be right. I have been all about hanging Vivek out there to blame and he absolutely has been in the past.

That being said - and acknowledging that I had Bey’s salary as higher than that - I can see where MONTE would not be interested in Bey in this situation because 1) he is yet another no defense guy and 2) there are enough “developmental” guys here that there likely isn’t room to handle another right now and it wouldn’t help a playoff push.

Again, let’s see what happens now after the buyouts go through and if he goes out and grabs a vet or two that can actually reliably improve the team for the playoffs.

Your 1st point is at least a fair point, and maybe that pushed him away. But Jalen McDaniels went for 2 2nds and could have improved the defense, or Thybulle like you suggested.

In terms of developmental guys. Are you counting guys like Ellis + Queta? Because I don't really count them. If the 1% chance they become something happens then great, but that's more on Stockton than Sac. And I'd cut either one in a heart beat if we could improve. We are really only developing Murray, and if you want to count 24 year old Davion Mitchell then sure, but I'm of the opinion hes pretty much a finished product.

I appreciate your optimistic outlook, and I usually try to maintain that attitude as well. I just don't see the buyout guys as much of an improvement over TD. And Mitchell still being on the team means he's going to get some burn for sure. But hopefully there's a decent center out there I'm not seeing that gets bought out and can replace Len on the roster. Time will tell
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#191 » by LightTheBeam » Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:24 am

blind prophet wrote:
Well we have a ton of reference in Vivek's time selling picks for cash, or related issues.

I mean you could go to the ultimate LOL of Papa G trying to be snuck in a deal, but instead getting cash to cover his guaranteed contract.

We've seen the fanbase defend things like Jarl Thompandry & things like that too.

1. We are a diverse laid back city where most people get along, meaning not as vicious or cut throat as other places.
3. A long culture of losing, I've been around since they came to town, like in the office building before the Arco was complete.

We are care bears.

Preach. This isn't a one time occurrence where we can just put it on Monte. Vivek has a history and clear pattern of doing this since he bought the Kings.

I'm pretty sure if GM's didn't answer to owners, not a single one would sell a 2nd round pick or make salary cutting moves (in terms of contenders), but obviously this is real life and millions of dollars we are talking about here.
OxAndFox
Veteran

Post#192 » by OxAndFox » Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:25 am

I wonder if Jordi has a good relationship with Will Barton with their time in Denver? Could be a solid pick up.
Could improve the size coming off the bench. I would like to see Kessler gets some time at the back up 3 though.
OxAndFox
Veteran

Post#193 » by OxAndFox » Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:31 am

LightTheBeam wrote:
blind prophet wrote:

We are care bears.

Preach. This isn't a one time occurrence where we can just put it on Monte. Vivek has a history and clear pattern of doing this since he bought the Kings.

I'm pretty sure if GM's didn't answer to owners, not a single one would sell a 2nd round pick or make salary cutting moves (in terms of contenders), but obviously this is real life and millions of dollars we are talking about here.

I hope this isn't the case this time around. He just got a bunch of money from the Nets. Sold a 2nd last year and if he does it again then yeah, he simply wants 2nds as a money maker.
It makes you wonder then, with the rumors coming out about these guys and 2nds, whether the Kings had some frameworks in place and it was squashed already. Hence the word getting out as it was dead by then.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#194 » by LightTheBeam » Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:43 am

OxAndFox wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:
blind prophet wrote:

We are care bears.

I hope this isn't the case this time around. He just got a bunch of money from the Nets. Sold a 2nd last year and if he does it again then yeah, he simply wants 2nds as a money maker.
It makes you wonder then, with the rumors coming out about these guys and 2nds, whether the Kings had some frameworks in place and it was squashed already. Hence the word getting out as it was dead by then.

Off the top of my head the last handful of years we sold the picks that became Gary Trent Jr, Xavier Tillman, and Hardy. I'm sure I'm missing some.

Fool me once..

Edit: yup. Missed Ignas to knicks in 2019.
OxAndFox
Veteran

Post#195 » by OxAndFox » Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:00 am

LightTheBeam wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:

Off the top of my head the last handful of years we sold the picks that became Gary Trent Jr, Xavier Tillman, and Hardy. I'm sure I'm missing some.

Fool me once..

Edit: yup. Missed Ignas to knicks in 2019.

Monte has to keep away from the 2nds lol. Without Vivek being able to say, I'll approve the trade if you can squeeze a 2nd out of them.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#196 » by City of Trees » Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:26 am

LightTheBeam wrote:Yup. And it is what it is. I'm just tired of seeing Kings fans make excuses for it.

No offense taken. My preference was to bolster the bench and I was disappointed it didn't happen. Having said that, take a step back and assess what happened today and why. Lakers, Clippers, Suns, Warriors, and Mavs all made moves to break from the pack. Each team found themselves trending downward with no room to grow as a team. Potential maxed out, aging, or cap ridden. The Kings are not like any of those teams. The Kings are new on the block, much to learn with room to grow and improve. Nuggets, Grizz, and Pels all made a smaller move and yea the Kings should have done the same, but when one door closes another opens.

Not saying buyouts will be a thing for them but it's probably the first time in our board's existence where a buyout player who is looking to join a contender might consider signing here. None of us know how the buyout market plays out, time will tell.

If nothing comes to fruition, then my whole point here is, standing pat isn't the worst thing that could've happened today, especially if the team performs well. Let this group get as much experience as possible (PLAYOFFS!?!?) and know what you have(or don't) when it comes time to make moves in the off-season.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#197 » by City of Trees » Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:39 am

codydaze wrote:I also don't think it's fair to blame Vivek for something like not sending seconds for a bench player who has the potential to marginally improve the team. That just makes no sense. Monte is the GM and has the agency to do what he wants based on everything else we've seen during his tenure. Scapegoating Vivek because we didn't get Mason Plumlee or spend 4 second round picks for Josh Richardson is pretty weak in my opinion.

This.

Amick shared this morning on 1140 the Kings were in on Vanderbilt and offered multiple 2nds. Monte's philosophy has always been centered on the teams long term goals. Here is a quote from Monte on player acquisition
“I would say almost every move we make is with a long-term horizon, right? We obviously want to win now, but we want to win next year and the year after, and on into the future,” McNair said. “So it’s not just about adding talent now. It’s about adding talent that can help us in the future and doing it in a way that we can continue to add to the team.”

We could see how Vanderbilt fits into Monte's plan so it's not surprising to hear the 2nds were on the table. Maybe the other mentioned targets weren't viewed in the same light?
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant

Post#198 » by OGSactownballer » Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:18 pm

LightTheBeam wrote:
OGSactownballer wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:

Your 1st point is at least a fair point, and maybe that pushed him away. But Jalen McDaniels went for 2 2nds and could have improved the defense, or Thybulle like you suggested.

In terms of developmental guys. Are you counting guys like Ellis + Queta? Because I don't really count them. If the 1% chance they become something happens then great, but that's more on Stockton than Sac. And I'd cut either one in a heart beat if we could improve. We are really only developing Murray, and if you want to count 24 year old Davion Mitchell then sure, but I'm of the opinion hes pretty much a finished product.

I appreciate your optimistic outlook, and I usually try to maintain that attitude as well. I just don't see the buyout guys as much of an improvement over TD. And Mitchell still being on the team means he's going to get some burn for sure. But hopefully there's a decent center out there I'm not seeing that gets bought out and can replace Len on the roster. Time will tell

I definitely get what you are saying.

Ultimately if we think about the fact that Edwards is essentially a free look at a McDaniels clone (6’8”, multi position defender who showed upside) but is a bit younger and able to learn his shooting here where we develop good 3pt shooters, then that really is a better deal in a way. Not a right now, but longer term possibility.

Keegan - as good as he is - is absolutely the biggest focus of development and must be given that lions share of attention that he is getting from Mike Brown. Davion may be essentially “finished”, but is still growing into and learning to play within his role to contribute.

As far as the other guys, I agree that Bobby needs to focus on their development in Stockton where they can get court burn against other young guys who will eventually be in the league. I still feel that Queta has the tools and drive to eventually be an impact big. Whether that happens, or is sooner or later remains to be seen. But I have always believed that very few big guys are really fully mature and have learned to be in control of their body (I’m talking guys who are 6’10”+) before 24-25 years old when they settle into mature adulthood. We see this over and over with young boys and it’s why I feel that drafting for “potential” with most of these guys is a terrible waste.

Right now we are playing well and getting stronger and tighter every game. We will see what happens but I have hope that this will be the first year of a decade plus or more of regular playoff appearance and eventually contention.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#199 » by LightTheBeam » Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:52 pm

OGSactownballer wrote:
I definitely get what you are saying.

Ultimately if we think about the fact that Edwards is essentially a free look at a McDaniels clone (6’8”, multi position defender who showed upside) but is a bit younger and able to learn his shooting here where we develop good 3pt shooters, then that really is a better deal in a way. Not a right now, but longer term possibility.

Keegan - as good as he is - is absolutely the biggest focus of development and must be given that lions share of attention that he is getting from Mike Brown. Davion may be essentially “finished”, but is still growing into and learning to play within his role to contribute.

As far as the other guys, I agree that Bobby needs to focus on their development in Stockton where they can get court burn against other young guys who will eventually be in the league. I still feel that Queta has the tools and drive to eventually be an impact big. Whether that happens, or is sooner or later remains to be seen. But I have always believed that very few big guys are really fully mature and have learned to be in control of their body (I’m talking guys who are 6’10”+) before 24-25 years old when they settle into mature adulthood. We see this over and over with young boys and it’s why I feel that drafting for “potential” with most of these guys is a terrible waste.

Right now we are playing well and getting stronger and tighter every game. We will see what happens but I have hope that this will be the first year of a decade plus or more of regular playoff appearance and eventually contention.

My brother said the exact same thing to me about Edwards. I'll be shocked if he plays a single meaningful minute for this squad or is on the roster next year. I think that move was a simple money deal for Sac. Id love to be wrong, and Id love for Monte to have actually bought low on the next Jaden/Jalen McDaniels for free.

100% agree on Keegan. He should definitely be getting the bulk of it. I think i'm just more sour on Davion than you. He still has room to become a solid bench player, but that won't be in Sac. He was at his best playing in the pick and roll with Jones/Holmes, shooting mid range and attacking the basket. He plays all his minutes with Sabonis, and you have got to be able to consistently shoot in that role. Of course its hard to find a backup pg who is really good defensively and shoots 37+% because they would be starting for a number of teams. What hurts more with Davion is he's shooting this terrible from 3, and he literally only takes wide open 3s. - https://www.nba.com/stats/player/1630558/shots-dash

Hope you are right on Queta. Jerry Reynolds always would harp on bigs taking longer to develop.

Definitely happy with the way this season is going. And I wouldn't want Monte to rush into making a huge trade sacrificing multiple firsts for someone like OG when we clearly aren't ready for that kind of move. I've been against that all season. My entire thing was mainly that trading 2nds for these kinds of players is really low risk/high reward. You aren't crushing your ability to make future moves, if the chemistry is bad you are bought in low enough to move on from them. But If someone like Bey, McDaniels, Rui, Thybulle can come in and take another step in a new situation you are feeling really great about stealing that player away and getting help for the stretch run.

Either way all Kings fans want the same goal. Lets go out there and beat the Suns while watching our Kings get some All Star weekend action and much needed rest!
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,773

Post#200 » by BoogieTime » Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:58 am

davion should have been gone at the deadline and this addressed. for mcnair's sake I hope he doesn't have value and there were no backups on the market. its delly time than

Return to Sacramento Kings