ImageImageImageImageImage

22-23 General Thread

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,002

Re: 22-23 General Thread 

Post#141 » by OGSactownballer » Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:30 pm

City of Trees wrote:Kessler Edwards has taken advantage of his minutes. I didn't realize he's now the youngest player on the squad. Kings could really benefit to develop and mold him.

And he is COMPLETELY FREE OF CHARGE!

Can we say Executive of the year?!?!
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant

Post#142 » by OGSactownballer » Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:37 pm

BoogieTime wrote:The assets of this team are

1a/1b - Sabonis/Brown

3. Fox

Finally we have a coach that gets the most out of the talent, after years of the opposite (scrub coaches not matching the teams talent on paper). With Brown I think we will be competitive even if we have to start with a new roster. He is A+

I disagree only in that it is 1a/1b/1c and Fox is right there.

You can not underestimate the importance - especially when we are to playoff ball - of a guy who is literally right now the best clutch time scorer in the game that can get his own at will.

That cannot be understated.
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant

Post#143 » by OGSactownballer » Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:40 pm

codydaze wrote:We have a real path to 50 wins this season if we keep playing the way we are.

We have three games against San Antonio, Boston and Denver. Ideally we grab two wins here even though the Boston and Denver games are going to be tough.

We have four games total against Utah and Portland. We need to grab three wins here.

If we handle business and get those five wins, we only need to grab two more in the remaining games against Phoenix, Golden State, Minnesota, Dallas and New Orleans.

50 would be really nice and make a big statement to the league.

But realistic factor here is that 48/49/50 this year with the dogfight that has been the West is basically 55+ in any normal season. It looks like there will not even be a 60 game winner in the East and yet the quality of the teams drops of markedly after spot five.
OxAndFox
Veteran
And1: 2,097

Post#144 » by OxAndFox » Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:03 am

Need to grab these two against the Blazers and then we can prepare for the postseason extremely well and maybe limit minutes for some guys.
There are 6 days between the RS ending and POs starting so there is rest there, but Brown runs the guys hard and PO practices will be intense.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,568

Post#145 » by LightTheBeam » Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:13 pm

OGSactownballer wrote:
50 would be really nice and make a big statement to the league.

But realistic factor here is that 48/49/50 this year with the dogfight that has been the West is basically 55+ in any normal season. It looks like there will not even be a 60 game winner in the East and yet the quality of the teams drops of markedly after spot five.

Currently sitting at 45 wins.

The next 3 are Portland (2x) and SA. I never know how this team is going to do when the opposing teams rests all their players, but Portland isn't even trying anymore. We should absolutely handle all 3 of those games.

Leaves us with Pelicans, Mavs, Warriors, Nuggets.

Pelicans have been playing much better basketball. But that is a potential 1st round matchup. We are the better team, definitely winnable.

Mavericks not the same team they were last year. They lost twice recently to the Hornets. 3-7 in last 10. Also winnable.

GS in Golden One. Warriors suck on the road.

Denver last game of the season. They will likely have secured a top spot in the west by then.

Range of outcomes is anywhere from 48-52. I would love to hit 50 wins at least. Looking at the schedule, I think we win the next 3, and should at least split the last 4. Losing 3 or 4 of those games would be rough going into the playoffs on a downstreak.

(still proud of the team no matter what, and happy with this seasons outcome, but keep pushing!!!!!!!!)
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,772

Post#146 » by BoogieTime » Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:49 am

Len heading to the playoffs as the backup center after not being given a look all year? :banghead: Brown.... (how has it not been obvious Metu sucks and Holmes has no facets anymore)
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,446

Post#147 » by KF10 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:15 am

BoogieTime wrote:Len heading to the playoffs as the backup center after not being given a look all year? :banghead: Brown.... (how has it not been obvious Metu sucks and Holmes has no facets anymore)

Metu is insanely inconsistently. And on average, he is not good. I'm not bothered about his minutes being cut.

Holmes dropped off big time since he receives zero minutes here. It's too bad because he was rock solid a year or 2 years ago. I guess he doesn't fit with Brown's system?

Len is a big body that can provide decent minute when Sabonis is on the bench. Yeah, I'm surprised it took almost all season to recognize this.

Also, Kessler >>> KZ Okpala.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#148 » by BoogieTime » Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:44 pm

KF10 wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:Len heading to the playoffs as the backup center after not being given a look all year? :banghead: Brown.... (how has it not been obvious Metu sucks and Holmes has no facets anymore)

Metu is insanely inconsistently. And on average, he is not good. I'm not bothered about his minutes being cut.

Holmes dropped off big time since he receives zero minutes here. It's too bad because he was rock solid a year or 2 years ago. I guess he doesn't fit with Brown's system?

Len is a big body that can provide decent minute when Sabonis is on the bench. Yeah, I'm surprised it took almost all season to recognize this.

It was almost like sheer obstinance on behalf of Brown, even giving Queta minutes ahead of Alex..... just mind blowing stuff from an otherwise great coach.

I have hopes for Kessler rounding out, not sure he will be starting material but definitely can be a solid bench piece. He pops more than the 5-6 other random wing projects of the last few years
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#149 » by LightTheBeam » Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:58 pm

KF10 wrote:

I'm still team Metu over Len. Len is a butterfinger who is never ready for the ball, doesn't stretch the floor, and isn't mobile enough to keep up with the team. Obviously none are great options, and I get why Mike has turned to Len, but hopefully we can replace that spot cheaply this off-season.

Backup centers always have flaws, so really tough to find a guy who can do more than 1 thing at a decent level. Guess it really just depends what we are looking for from the position. Biyombo would be nice for shot blocking, Yurtseven is a young physical option who moves well. But seeing that they still didn't cut Queta this deadline, I'm wondering if they still think he will be able to fill that role next year.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,507

Post#150 » by codydaze » Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:06 pm

LightTheBeam wrote:
KF10 wrote:

I'm still team Metu over Len. Len is a butterfinger who is never ready for the ball, doesn't stretch the floor, and isn't mobile enough to keep up with the team. Obviously none are great options, and I get why Mike has turned to Len, but hopefully we can replace that spot cheaply this off-season.

Backup centers always have flaws, so really tough to find a guy who can do more than 1 thing at a decent level. Guess it really just depends what we are looking for from the position. Biyombo would be nice for shot blocking, Yurtseven is a young physical option who moves well. But seeing that they still didn't cut Queta this deadline, I'm wondering if they still think he will be able to fill that role next year.

I agree here. I understand why he might play more against a guy like Gobert but if we match up with GS round one then Metu should be getting those minutes.

My summer pipe dream is signing Naz Reid to start at the 4 and bring back HB into a bench role. Bring Vezkenov over and you have a bench unit of Davion/Monk/HB/Vezenkov/Lyles.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#151 » by LightTheBeam » Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:20 pm

codydaze wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:
KF10 wrote:

I agree here. I understand why he might play more against a guy like Gobert but if we match up with GS round one then Metu should be getting those minutes.

My summer pipe dream is signing Naz Reid to start at the 4 and bring back HB into a bench role. Bring Vezkenov over and you have a bench unit of Davion/Monk/HB/Vezenkov/Lyles.

I'm thinking unless we play Minnesota in round 1, none of the backup centers should play any real minutes. Rotation has to get cut down, and Edwards gives us much more than any of those guys. 9 deep would be my call.

Against GS you are matching up with Draymond/Looney
Against Clippers Lyles can guard Plumlee, who may get cut out of the rotation for Covington/Batum anyways
OKC doesn't have a center on the roster
LA is either going with Gabriel or cutting him out the rotation and using Rui/Vandy as backup centers
Pelicans use Nance as the backup center

Sabonis ---- Lyles
Barnes ----- Edwards/Murray
Murray ------ Edwards/Huerter
Huerter ----- Monk
Fox ----- Mitchell

Very rare to go 10 deep in the playoffs anyways.

Naz Reid has really grown on me. And that would be stealing from Minnesota who has a bright future. Definitely be on board with that. I have a few other targets in mind, but if this allows us to also keep HB that is a big win.
OxAndFox
Veteran

Post#152 » by OxAndFox » Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:00 pm

LightTheBeam wrote:
codydaze wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:

I'm thinking unless we play Minnesota in round 1, none of the backup centers should play any real minutes. Rotation has to get cut down, and Edwards gives us much more than any of those guys. 9 deep would be my call.

Against Clippers Lyles can guard Plumlee, who may get cut out of the rotation for Covington/Batum anyways
LA is either going with Gabriel or cutting him out the rotation and using Rui/Vandy as backup centers

Sabonis ---- Lyles
Huerter ----- Monk
Fox ----- Mitchell

Naz Reid has really grown on me. And that would be stealing from Minnesota who has a bright future. Definitely be on board with that. I have a few other targets in mind, but if this allows us to also keep HB that is a big win.

Spot on. The rotation has to get cut down in the POs and Lyles can handle the back up minutes. Will pull the other 5 outside and allow Fox wide open driving lanes.
I wonder if GS is the round 1 match up whether they go with Curry/DDV/Klay/Kuminga/Dray as the starters and bring Looney off the bench?
For me Edwards has definitely played himself into some minutes. Could be situational if someone gets hot.
Fox/Davion/Huerter/Monk/Keegan/Barnes/Edwards/Sabonis/Lyles. That's still 9 guys. Edwards with 6-8 minutes and Lyles with around 18-20.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#153 » by LightTheBeam » Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:26 pm

OxAndFox wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:
codydaze wrote:

Sabonis ---- Lyles
Huerter ----- Monk
Fox ----- Mitchell

Spot on. The rotation has to get cut down in the POs and Lyles can handle the back up minutes. Will pull the other 5 outside and allow Fox wide open driving lanes.
I wonder if GS is the round 1 match up whether they go with Curry/DDV/Klay/Kuminga/Dray as the starters and bring Looney off the bench?
For me Edwards has definitely played himself into some minutes. Could be situational if someone gets hot.
Fox/Davion/Huerter/Monk/Keegan/Barnes/Edwards/Sabonis/Lyles. That's still 9 guys. Edwards with 6-8 minutes and Lyles with around 18-20.

Ya for Edwards to get extended minutes it will likely be matchup based/Monk or Murray having a bad night.

Sabonis (38) / Lyles (10)
Murray (34) / Lyles (14)
Barnes (38) / Huerter (10)
Huerter (24) / Monk (24)
Fox (38) / Mitchell (10)

This is honestly do-able here, and as the playoffs go on we see a lot of teams settle on 7 man rotations. These are all young guys who probably want to play 40mpg. But Edwards can find himself minutes assuming maybe Brown doesnt want Barnes to play 38, or Murray has an bad night and only plays 24 minutes, or Monk seems hung over and plays 15mins and has 3 quick turnovers. I don't mind him getting opportunity. He matches up as a defender with majority of the teams we have to see.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#154 » by BoogieTime » Wed Apr 5, 2023 2:18 am

Since we haven't gotten an extended look at Len this season, it's likely that his impact could be more solid than an inconsistent Lyles (irrespective of positional need). So, I wouldn't even close his minutes off from that perspective. But I'm not high on Lyles relatively.
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,145

Post#155 » by Braggins » Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:21 am

Is there any chance Jay Triano gets consideration for a head coaching job somewhere. I know hes a bit older and had a head coaching stint back in the day that didn't go well, but what he did for Charlotte and Sacramento offensively the last two seasons is pretty interesting. Maybe he leveled up later in his career similar to Mike Brown?
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,507

Post#156 » by codydaze » Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:47 pm

Braggins wrote:Is there any chance Jay Triano gets consideration for a head coaching job somewhere. I know hes a bit older and had a head coaching stint back in the day that didn't go well, but what he did for Charlotte and Sacramento offensively the last two seasons is pretty interesting. Maybe he leveled up later in his career similar to Mike Brown?

Not sure about Jay Triano but I've seen buzz about Jordi Fernandez getting some consideration for head coaching gigs.
OxAndFox
Veteran

Post#157 » by OxAndFox » Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:48 pm

codydaze wrote:
Braggins wrote:Is there any chance Jay Triano gets consideration for a head coaching job somewhere. I know hes a bit older and had a head coaching stint back in the day that didn't go well, but what he did for Charlotte and Sacramento offensively the last two seasons is pretty interesting. Maybe he leveled up later in his career similar to Mike Brown?

Not sure about Jay Triano but I've seen buzz about Jordi Fernandez getting some consideration for head coaching gigs.

Yeah I would say it's Jordi that gets a look if any one of the Kings staff. Keeping Jay around is crucial though because as everyone knows the NBA is a copycat league and as Braggins mentions, Triano has done it in Charlotte and now Sacramento so there will be offers from teams.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#158 » by BoogieTime » Wed May 17, 2023 12:24 am

Part of this franchise’s curse is being in the west

Unfairly been in the conference that has had the better record for 20 of 24 seasons (or something?)

Think of those Cousins/Gay teams that could’ve squeaked into the latter seeds if they were in the east

The west was once again better this year.

I’m skeptical of Wemby’s body, but of course the top pick and 3 of top 4 have to be in the west

San Antonio was quite literally the only western team without a young core or solid team while there are 4-5 east teams going nowhere

Not happy about that, but found myself missing the suspense of a kings lottery. Hopefully that won’t be here any time soon again
OxAndFox
Veteran

Post#159 » by OxAndFox » Thu May 18, 2023 2:13 am

BoogieTime wrote:Part of this franchise’s curse is being in the west

Unfairly been in the conference that has had the better record for 20 of 24 seasons (or something?)

Think of those Cousins/Gay teams that could’ve squeaked into the latter seeds if they were in the east

I’m skeptical of Wemby’s body, but of course the top pick and 3 of top 4 have to be in the west

San Antonio was quite literally the only western team without a young core or solid team while there are 4-5 east teams going nowhere

Not happy about that, but found myself missing the suspense of a kings lottery. Hopefully that won’t be here any time soon again

Don't worry about Wemby's body. He is built different. Have you ever seen anyone do this?
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#160 » by BoogieTime » Thu May 18, 2023 2:57 am

OxAndFox wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:Part of this franchise’s curse is being in the west

Don't worry about Wemby's body. He is built different. Have you ever seen anyone do this?

Thanks for supporting the original point.

What does the play have to do with him having a freakish body that might not last?

Return to Sacramento Kings