ImageImageImageImageImage

Salvage value for Artest

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

fimslim3
Banned User
And1: 1

Salvage value for Artest 

Post#1 » by fimslim3 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 7:31 pm

Considering Artest expressed interest in New York and him being a free agent in 2009, would you let him expire or would you like to get something in return for him (i.e. Balkman or another product on a rookie contract) or would you ideally like to package Artest with Kenny Thomas for expirings this season?
chriswebb86
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Re: Salvage value for Artest 

Post#2 » by chriswebb86 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 8:26 pm

fimslim3 wrote:Considering Artest expressed interest in New York and him being a free agent in 2009, would you let him expire or would you like to get something in return for him (i.e. Balkman or another product on a rookie contract) or would you ideally like to package Artest with Kenny Thomas for expirings this season?
I think if the Knicks are willing to move David Lee, then we could start talking. In reality I would like to move Kenny Thomas too.
ICMTM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 176

Post#3 » by ICMTM » Wed Jan 2, 2008 8:41 pm

I don't think Artest goes to the Knicks, and Artest's value IMO has grown significantly since the beginning of the year. Artest is the reason the Kings have been able to stay a float with all the injuries. He's been unselfish and a leader as well.
KANGZZZZZ!
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#4 » by chrbal » Wed Jan 2, 2008 9:06 pm

I would only trade Artest to get rid of Kenny Thomas or to a lesser extent Shareef.

Ron joining up with the Knicks seems inevitable, so why not utilize that to dump either old PF.

Knicks don't like it, they can try to sign him for just the MLE next year.
Theres a possibility he takes it, but I doubt hes that desperate to get there.
ICMTM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 176

Post#5 » by ICMTM » Wed Jan 2, 2008 9:34 pm

chrbal wrote:Ron joining up with the Knicks seems inevitable...

I don't think Ron is that enamored with going home that he's willing to cut millions in salary. Ron is crazy, not stupid.
KANGZZZZZ!
Smills91
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#6 » by Smills91 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 10:11 pm

This is the package the Knicks would have to come up with to land Artest:

Ron/Kenny to NY

for

David Lee/Mardy Collins/Malik Rose/Fred Jones/1st round pick

Any less than that will not cut it from Sacramento's POV.
If you're not willing to pay the price, you will not receive the goods. It's that simple.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,446

Post#7 » by KF10 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 10:17 pm

Smills91 wrote:This is the package the Knicks would have to come up with to land Artest:

Ron/Kenny to NY

for

If you're not willing to pay the price, you will not receive the goods. It's that simple.

Yeah...But do we really need Lee? IF we get him. IMO I put him on the block immediately and receive a different package...We could package Lee with SAR or something...
Crimson King
Pro Prospect
And1: 31

Post#8 » by Crimson King » Wed Jan 2, 2008 10:41 pm

Smills91 wrote:This is the package the Knicks would have to come up with to land Artest:

Ron/Kenny to NY

for

That's too much. The pick should be untouchable for NY. Artest/Thomas for Lee/Balkman/Rose/Jones is more balanced IMO.
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,474

Post#9 » by Ballings7 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 11:19 pm

These Knick proposals for Ron Artest, over casual, obvious feelings (it's nothing more than that) from Artest (not the media, hyping and spinning it up as more), and rehashed, manufacturted reports and rumors from the media - are just redundant.

Nothing has ever been legitimate between these two teams.

Nothing has ever been "Oh my god, I have to go to the Knicks" "I want out" "I want to go home!" "I want to play for the Knicks so bad, it makes me care less about my team (Bulls, Pacers, Kings)" with Ron through-out his career, in playing for the Knicks. It just gets exaggerated.

Kings aren't looking to trade Ron, and who knows if the franchise even wants Lee over Artest. The Kings haven't made their level of interest known on Lee. Lee's also going to command MLE + money later on, too. Udonis Haslem range.

Also, a, Renaldo Balkman package for Artest? I love Balkman as a young athletic team-player, but, I still don't get why this is being mentioned like every time a Knicks-Ron Artest story or post comes up. That's simply a poor offer for Artest, and a created possibility for the Kings, by the NY media, spawned off to people. Balkman's not even a starter in the NBA yet, and Salmons/Garcia are both better players, overall. John Salmons especially, times three. Balkman's value and role has also dropped noticably this season compared to his rookie year. I highly doubt the Kings would seriously consider a Balkman package, and like with Lee, the Kings interest in Balkman is unknown. Only with Balkman, it's less questionable in how they feel about him, in a trade for Artest.

With the past issues, and the consensus of questionable character on Ron, and that being the case for a franchise in trading for Ron- why are you interested in trading for him? And at that, having to trade a valuable young player as the center of a package, in which they've been the bright spots of few, in the last two seasons for your already bad basketball team? That's not bashing on the Knicks, it's just been the situation, unfortunately.

"Yeah we want him, but because of his questionable character, we'll give you a package that's significantly below his talent level. Oh, and we know he's in his prime."

And yeah... the Knicks have to take on Kenny Thomas' or SAR's contract, along with Artest. In what would be for, a David Lee package.

And yeah... the Knicks haven't made Lee available in general in trades. Balkman for Artest, too, but he's pretty much irrelvant for the Kings.

I'd rather have Ron Artest than anybody, any package on the New York Knicks team. I wouldn't choose to do a Lee deal, but if it happened, would I be okay with it? Yeah. Would I prefer it? No.

Doubtful that an Artest/Knicks trade happens.

ICMTM wrote:I don't think Artest goes to the Knicks, and Artest's value IMO has grown significantly since the beginning of the year. Artest is the reason the Kings have been able to stay a float with all the injuries. He's been unselfish and a leader as well.

ICMTM wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I don't think Ron is that enamored with going home that he's willing to cut millions in salary. Ron is crazy, not stupid.

Exactly.

This is like what I've been saying, in relation to trading Ron to the Knicks, and possibly signing with the Knicks for a lot less.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
fimslim3
Banned User

Post#10 » by fimslim3 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:47 am

Knicks wont give Lee and a first round pick which would be in the lotto. He'll just come to New York for the MLE when he becomes a free agent.
King Baller
Pro Prospect
And1: 168

Post#11 » by King Baller » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:57 am

[quote="Ballings7"]
I'd rather have Ron Artest than anybody, any package on the New York Knicks team.
-= original quote snipped =-

I agree with Ballings7 statement above.

KB
King Baller
Pro Prospect

Post#12 » by King Baller » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:58 am

fimslim3 wrote:Knicks wont give Lee and a first round pick which would be in the lotto. He'll just come to New York for the MLE when he becomes a free agent.

In your dreams :rofl:

Artest is going to sign for serious$$$ with a good team:nod:

KB
fimslim3
Banned User

Post#13 » by fimslim3 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 5:08 am

King Baller wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

In your dreams :rofl:

Artest is going to sign for serious$$$ with a good team:nod:

KB

I am wondering what that is based on? Artest has expressed interest to play in New York on numerous occasions, are you his agent?
King Baller
Pro Prospect

Post#14 » by King Baller » Thu Jan 3, 2008 5:43 am

Nope not RA's agent, but then you are not the NYK GM :) Artest has been playing extremely well, shutting down many very good players while also filling up the stat sheet. How much is the MLE?

KB
KingInExile
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4

Post#15 » by KingInExile » Thu Jan 3, 2008 5:50 am

fimslim3 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I am wondering what that is based on? Artest has expressed interest to play in New York on numerous occasions, are you his agent?
Don't confuse Peter Vescey's interpretation of Artest's alleged interest with real fact. The only thing Artest has said with respect to the Knicks is that "he wouldn't mind playing for them"...as in, it would be cool to play for the team in the city were he grew up. He has never said he will take less money just so he could play there. He has never said that he wants to be traded to the Kincks. He has said that he wants to stay with the Kings long term. He has said that he wants to play for a contender (the Knicks are nowhere near contention...Kings might not be either, but they are closer).

Artest has never really said anything that even closely resembles expressing a true desire to be a Knick. Only Knicks fans and the NY media have warped any comment he makes about the Knicks as a plea to play for the team.
This space needs to be filled with a new sig...but I'm too lazy to make one.
fimslim3
Banned User

Post#16 » by fimslim3 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 5:53 am

King Baller wrote:Nope not RA's agent, but then you are not the NYK GM :) Artest has been playing extremely well, shutting down many very good players while also filling up the stat sheet. How much is the MLE?

KB

MLE increases a bit every season, this past season it started at 5.3 million, also I never said I was the Knicks GM, you blew out comments stating where Artest wil play for a good team and for a lot of money, only an agent or Artest can dictate those circumstances.

All I said was that Artest has expressed interest in playing for the Knicks on numerous occasions, you don't need to be the Knicks GM to read his quotes. Unless of course he is being misquoted. So you can either lose Artest for nothing (which looks like it may happen since it was the Kings goal to be under the cap by 2009) or trade him to another team (or the Knicks) and get rid of a bad contract like Kenny Thomas and/or SAR.
King Baller
Pro Prospect

Post#17 » by King Baller » Thu Jan 3, 2008 6:27 am

MLE increases a bit every season, this past season it started at 5.3 million, also I never said I was the Knicks GM, you blew out comments stating where Artest wil play for a good team and for a lot of money, only an agent or Artest can dictate those circumstances.

All I said was that Artest has expressed interest in playing for the Knicks on numerous occasions, you don't need to be the Knicks GM to read his quotes. Unless of course he is being misquoted. So you can either lose Artest for nothing (which looks like it may happen since it was the Kings goal to be under the cap by 2009) or trade him to another team (or the Knicks) and get rid of a bad contract like Kenny Thomas and/or SAR.

Ron has SAID he wants to play for a contender. Contender = good team. Artest is really under paid in his current deal which I think is around 7M a year. I don't need to be an agent to know he's worth way more than 5.3M.
Also besides the options you mention, the Kings may sign Ron. Sacramento is a good spot for Ron, just as it was for Webber. Its far from the intense media spot light.

KB
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#18 » by SacKingZZZ » Thu Jan 3, 2008 6:35 am

Ron has also said he wants to retire a Sacramento King. So don't get your hopes up buddy.
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,002

Post#19 » by OGSactownballer » Thu Jan 3, 2008 6:40 am

Dude, apparently you don't have a wife and kids. If I tried to tell my wife "hey honey, I'm gonna take a pay cut of - oh about TWENTY-FIVE MILLION DOLLARS over the next five years to move back to New York, go nuts and kill you some night because my dog didn't get fed", what exactly do you think she's gonna say? :wavefinger: I think that IF Ron dosen't get an offer befitting a guy who is one of the top three defenders in THE ENTIRE NBA - AND - one of the top ten SF's in the league, he will just re-sign here starting at his current salary (@ 9 mill - year) and going up.

Anything else is just New Yorkers smoking a crack pipe - you know, that same one that ISAIAH is puffing on :rofl: .
rpa
RealGM
And1: 7,453

Post#20 » by rpa » Thu Jan 3, 2008 7:00 am

So how did those free agent signings of Webber & Rasheed Wallace turn out for the Knicks?

Return to Sacramento Kings