ImageImageImageImageImage

Sell out

Moderators: codydaze, KF10, City of Trees

and2premiere
Pro Prospect
Posts: 764
And1: 0
Joined: Nov 05, 2006

Sell out 

Post#1 » by and2premiere » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:04 pm

If Mike Bibby returns and there is another consistent sell out streak, do you think that the Kings will be forced not to trade him? I know ticket sales are important, so I just wanted to know how much they influence the trading of players.
User avatar
KingInExile
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 14,416
And1: 4
Joined: May 25, 2004
Location: RIP Wayman Tisdale...You left us way too early.

 

Post#2 » by KingInExile » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:30 pm

I seriously doubt Bibby is the key to sellouts. The team winning and showing that the future is bright is the key to returning to sellouts. They can do that without Bibby, especially if he's traded in a deal that upgrades other bigger needs.
This space needs to be filled with a new sig...but I'm too lazy to make one.
Smills91
Banned User
Posts: 23,364
And1: 2
Joined: Jun 05, 2005
Location: Ronald Reagan is my political hero.

 

Post#3 » by Smills91 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:36 pm

KingInExile wrote:I seriously doubt Bibby is the key to sellouts. The team winning and showing that the future is bright is the key to returning to sellouts. They can do that without Bibby, especially if he's traded in a deal that upgrades other bigger needs.


Bibby's pretty popular still, especially among a lot of females I know. If we sell out, I think it's more because the team is playing well, but more importantly, HARD night in and night out. Bibby may just be a confounding variable to the cause of the sell out if a sell out were to occur when he returns.

With that said, I'm almost of the opinion that with one more piece, the Kings could actually be a REALLY strong team in the West.

I proposed a Martin for Gasol type deal on the trade board. That'd give us the most value back, save us some future dollars to re-sign Artest and have a team that very well could be one of the top 4 or 5 in the West with the way Salmons and Garcia have been playing lately.
User avatar
KingInExile
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 14,416
And1: 4
Joined: May 25, 2004
Location: RIP Wayman Tisdale...You left us way too early.

 

Post#4 » by KingInExile » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:05 pm

I'm not really talking about Bibby's popularity. He still is a guy that a lot of Kings fans like. But (IMO) the vast majority of Kings fans don't buy tickets just to see Bibby; he's not a marquee player. The people who are not buying tickets anymore are doing so because of the total product the franchise has put on the floor the last couple of years, not because Bibby has not been playing. Solve the total product issue, sell more tickets...simple as that.
This space needs to be filled with a new sig...but I'm too lazy to make one.
chriswebb86
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,839
And1: 0
Joined: Mar 03, 2006
Location: Reno / Australia
Contact:

 

Post#5 » by chriswebb86 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:30 pm

I think the Kings biggest problems with selling tickets is the same problem the Suns had for a few years. For the most part Kings fans have gotten spoiled, and because of that they do not want to support a hard working below .500 win team. Like some people have said already, if the product on the floor improves then I think you will see sell-outs, but until then we are going to be averaging 14,000 or so a game.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
Posts: 23,950
And1: 984
Joined: Feb 19, 2005
Location: "Look at me, Dave, look. Come and touch it, Dave."

 

Post#6 » by SacKingZZZ » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:23 pm

We basically had the same team last year and didn't truly sellout. The only reason they don't "sellout" anymore is because so many people didn't renew their season tickets. Bibby being back isn't going to have people going out and buying season tickets.
deNIEd
Banned User
Posts: 4,942
And1: 30
Joined: Jul 18, 2006

 

Post#7 » by deNIEd » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:00 pm

Smills91 wrote:and have a team that very well could be one of the top 4 or 5 in the West with the way Salmons and Garcia have been playing lately.


Well with Gasol on the team and Artest resigned this summer. We will have no more money in signing other freeagents.

Bibby/Salmons/Artest/Gasol/Miller
Udrih/Douby/Garcia/Cardnial/Hawes

Do you think this team is better than the Spurs/Suns/Celtics/Pistons/Mavs in a 7 game series?
chriswebb86
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,839
And1: 0
Joined: Mar 03, 2006
Location: Reno / Australia
Contact:

 

Post#8 » by chriswebb86 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:06 pm

deNIEd wrote:-= original quote snipped =-



Well with Gasol on the team and Artest resigned this summer. We will have no more money in signing other freeagents.

Bibby/Salmons/Artest/Gasol/Miller
Udrih/Douby/Garcia/Cardnial/Hawes

Do you think this team is better than the Spurs/Suns/Celtics/Pistons/Mavs in a 7 game series?
Honestly, I think we could compete with those teams. We would be a really well rounded team. We would have a deep bench etc.
sackings916
Analyst
Posts: 3,430
And1: 141
Joined: Sep 07, 2002

 

Post#9 » by sackings916 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:41 pm

I really dont like the way that lineup looks. I dont like the way they mix and dont think their skillsets help each other. Gasol,Artest and Salmons are 3 iso players and none are really catch and shoot type players.
User avatar
SacTown Kings
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,813
And1: 100
Joined: May 12, 2003

 

Post#10 » by SacTown Kings » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:29 am

Smills91 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-



Bibby's pretty popular still, especially among a lot of females I know.


Haha funny you say that because Bibby is the only reason my wife watches the Kings, she has a big crush on him. I tell her the game is on and she asks "is Bibby playing yet" I say "no" then she walks away and watches something else.

I still mostly agree with KIE. Bibby doesn't sell Arco out, a good and exciting team does that, and like KIE said we can do that without Bibby. We did when we had white chocolate.
OGSactownballer
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,026
And1: 399
Joined: Oct 02, 2005

 

Post#11 » by OGSactownballer » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:26 am

sackings916 wrote:I really dont like the way that lineup looks. I dont like the way they mix and dont think their skillsets help each other. Gasol,Artest and Salmons are 3 iso players and none are really catch and shoot type players.


I posted a much more long-winded version of this response to smills on the trade board. i just don't see Gasol working right here.

Return to Sacramento Kings