ImageImageImageImageImage

Now from the "Duh" category, Ron Artest confirms..

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

KingInExile
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4

Now from the "Duh" category, Ron Artest confirms.. 

Post#1 » by KingInExile » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:57 am

that he will likely opt out at the end of this season.

Although it was assumed by most that Kings small forward Ron Artest would choose to become a free agent after this season, he said for the first time Saturday that he would likely exercise the early termination option in his contract as expected.

"You know, I guess everybody assumes (I'm going to opt out)," he said. "If you're going to bet your house on it, then bet that I'm going to opt out. But that time will come later. We'll see what happens."

While predicting what Artest will do next is a futile task in any forum, he continued to speak about potential free agency in ways few players
This space needs to be filled with a new sig...but I'm too lazy to make one.
pillwenney
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,496

Post#2 » by pillwenney » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:18 am

I think we should definitely be looking to move him, but should only actually move him if we can get a good return. When you commit to trading a player and basically say "okay, I WILL trade him by this point, and I guess I'll just take whatever the best offer is, even if it sucks" then you take all of the leverage out of your hands, and things like the Chris Webber situation happen. Obviously it's different because of a lot of the other stuff involved with the Webber situation, but the point is that if you go in with that attitude, you're not going to get good value.
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,474

Post#3 » by Ballings7 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:26 am

This is the other side of the situation, and it's not/would not be surprising to me. Legitimate reason. I can see the championship part, opting out, but am not sold on the money factor yet until more develops with that

However, legit playoff teams still will have to want him and have a spot for him. That has to be there with numerous of these type of teams, before any of them can be favored to sign him for the MLE. Not really anybody fits into that as a better than average possibility, until things change with the teams.

Things can change again with Ron later on in the year, too. Ultimately, who knows, especially with how Ron is. Around the summer is when things get more interesting and serious, anyway.

I'm going to love the guy where-ever he is next season. Even on the Lakers, not necessarily rooting for them, of course, but I would more in specific situations. So it really doesn't matter where he ends up for me. I do have certain preferences, though :).
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
Ballings7
RealGM

Post#4 » by Ballings7 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:33 am

mitch wrote:I think we should definitely be looking to move him, but should only actually move him if we can get a good return. When you commit to trading a player and basically say "okay, I WILL trade him by this point, and I guess I'll just take whatever the best offer is, even if it sucks" then you take all of the leverage out of your hands, and things like the Chris Webber situation happen. Obviously it's different because of a lot of the other stuff involved with the Webber situation, but the point is that if you go in with that attitude, you're not going to get good value.

Agreed. I'm fine doing that. Trading Ron away for the good of the team is the right thing to do.

But I doubt things are going to change with other teams, as they've gone. Small in amount and lacking assets, with three-way deals needing to be done. It's still not favorable to happen because of that. The Lakers can offer the best package, but to choose I'd say that wouldn't be going down. I'd be satisfied getting Crittenton in a package for Ron.
BMiller52
RealGM
And1: 0

Post#5 » by BMiller52 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:33 am

He also said he wants to re-sign in Sac so Kevin can lead him to a championship or something.

Who knows. I'd trade him if we can get a decent PF or some prospects or dump Kenny or something. But we have to accomplish one of our goals if we trade him.
Ballings7
RealGM

Post#6 » by Ballings7 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:37 am

It is also great to have Johnny Salmons around
a-rod
Assistant Coach
And1: 21

Post#7 » by a-rod » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:14 pm

everywhere we go apparently he wouldn't mind playing there, for god sake ron have some respect for the jersey your wearing.

this guy is emotionally unstable, so i don't care if we get something for him or not, i just want him to go away, cause frankly i don't want player that doesn't respect his coach or his teammates or the organization.

trading peja for him was a big mistake.........
pillwenney wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:No thanks to Deng. I read a rumor surfing hoopshype awhile back saying Gay for Reke is a possibility.

Must be true, if it's a rumor you read on Hoopshype.
:rofl:
Bibbinator
Rookie
And1: 3

Post#8 » by Bibbinator » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:49 pm

a-rod wrote:everywhere we go apparently he wouldn't mind playing there, for god sake ron have some respect for the jersey your wearing.

this guy is emotionally unstable, so i don't care if we get something for him or not, i just want him to go away, cause frankly i don't want player that doesn't respect his coach or his teammates or the organization.

Trading Artest for Peja wasn't a mistake.. it was a couple of years too late. That was the mistake.
_SRV_
Analyst
And1: 2

Post#9 » by _SRV_ » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:57 pm

a-rod wrote:everywhere we go apparently he wouldn't mind playing there, for god sake ron have some respect for the jersey your wearing.

Do you remeber how this franchise looked like before the trade? The trade totally revived the pale team that started that season...
Don't put too much into what Artest says, he said a lot, I'm not sure he means it or whether he's just the unbacked-statements throwing kinda guy, I don't think he will be a trouble in the sense of forcing a trade or something.
Regardless, I agree with you on the notion that he needs to go, not for the reasons you mentioned, but because he's highly touted player, and can help us remove the dead weight on the roster and balance it, to get off to the new start we all wish for.
Hoops23
General Manager
And1: 1,269

Post#10 » by Hoops23 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:38 pm

Artest opting out?

This will affect his trade value.
KingInExile
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by KingInExile » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:00 pm

Of course we can't discount the possibility that he will think the Kings have the potential to win a championship with him, meaning he will stay with a new contract (if one is offered).

I agree that Petrie shouldn't just try to move Ron for the sake of just getting something for him. I would back off of trying to package KT with him, but I would not accept less than a strong prospect and a pick. I would also be willing to wait until the summer and try to work a S&T with him for a package that would work for us. But just taking whatever we can get for him is not the best stance.
RoyalCourtJestr
Analyst
And1: 1

Post#12 » by RoyalCourtJestr » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:31 pm

Either tradeh im now while the value is still high (as a player and now as a expireing contract) or get ready to sign & trade him. I'm extremely doubtful he'd resign with us, and at this point, I'm more confident to let John start.
mprose wrote:And that leaves me with the conclusion that DMC is the Sarah Palin of the NBA.
King Baller
Pro Prospect
And1: 168

Post#13 » by King Baller » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:44 pm

Rules for trading Artest:

1) Kenny Thomas must go with Ron in the trade. And only take back a bad contract if it expires.

2) Must be traded to the Eastern Conference only. Out west we could see him 4 times a year and in the playoffs early.

3) The Kings are set at the 2 and 3 with Martin, Salmons, Garcia & Douby. So only trade Ron for a quality 1, 4 or 5. Unless the players last name is Roy and he currently wears a Blazers Jersey:)

4) Remember the Kings don't have to trade Ron.

Thems the rules:)

Also let me say I really, really like Chris Webber and Peja.

The Webber deal unloaded a damaged player with an 80 mil contract.

Peja's contract was up and he was due for a large contract which he got. The Kings have had Artest all this time for a bargain deal.

Petrie did good with both of those moves.

KB
KingInExile
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by KingInExile » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:57 pm

King Baller wrote:Rules for trading Artest:

1) Kenny Thomas must go with Ron in the trade. And only take back a bad contract if it expires.
There is no such thing as a bad contract that expires. And trying to force KT into a deal is pretty pointless IMO.

2) Must be traded to the Eastern Conference only. Out west we could see him 4 times a year and in the playoffs early.

I'm sure Petrie and the Maloofs would rather trade him east. But then again, if we just let him walk, there is nothing to stop him from just signing with a team in the west and we still face him 4 times a year...and have nothing but cap room to show for it.

3) The Kings are set at the 2 and 3 with Martin, Salmons, Garcia & Douby. So only trade Ron for a quality 1, 4 or 5. Unless the players last name is Roy and he currently wears a Blazers Jersey:)

This is kind of a no-brainer.

4) Remember the Kings don't have to trade Ron.

Thems the rules:)

Also let me say I really, really like Chris Webber and Peja.

Peja's contract was up and he was due for a large contract which he got. The Kings have had Artest all this time for a bargain deal.

Petrie did good with both of those moves.

KB
So, you basically are saying that you're content with holding on to him and not getting anything in return if he walks this summer? Nothing wrong with that, maybe his best value for us is just clearing salary this summer (assuming he leaves). But if there is an opportunity to get something of value for the team long-term, I would hate for Petrie to jeopardize that opportunity by trying to force-fit KT or insisting that he only go east.
Sacramento_King
Rookie
And1: 76

Post#15 » by Sacramento_King » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:50 pm

1. Kenny Thomas is stuck as a King I believe unless we take back a Jerome James or Jefferies. 25 mill for a guy who can't get off the bench is a pretty bad deal.

2.) Miami wants to cut salary, NY is not taking any back, who in the East will take back a potential rental and KT. Best scenario is the Dal trade to get Harris. Worst case is sending him out for other expirings and a 1st or a young player even if redundant ie SG or SF. I personally would trade him for that type of package.

At the time, I thought we would do well with the Webb trade but KT stinks, Skinner was dumped with Corliss being the only decent piece coming back.
BMiller52
RealGM
And1: 0

Post#16 » by BMiller52 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:05 pm

Hoops23 wrote:Artest opting out?

This will affect his trade value.

I don't see how, everyone knew he was going to opt out anyway. This is just him pointing out the obvious.
deNIEd
Banned User
And1: 30

Post#17 » by deNIEd » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:17 pm

Like just said, who cares who the expiring is if it expires

King Baller wrote:

If he signs for the MLE, he could very likely sign with a team like the Lakers. And since we aren't trading him to the Lakers (meaning getting something back), that makes the lakers that much better. Who cares if we see him in the playoffs. We won't be making the playoffs/making a serious run within 3-4 years. By then Artest won't matter.

King Baller wrote:3) The Kings are set at the 2 and 3 with Martin, Salmons, Garcia & Douby. So only trade Ron for a quality 1, 4 or 5. Unless the players last name is Roy and he currently wears a Blazers Jersey:)

This is stupid, you trade him for the best player you can get.

King Baller wrote:Also let me say I really, really like Chris Webber and Peja.

HOW THE HELL WAS THE WEBBER MOVE A GOOD MOVE. that was one of the worst moves ever. Webber would be expired already. Yet we still have many more years with Kenny.
Okay, you can say, the Webber trade broke up his contract into many parts and gave us freedom to use that salary elsewhere. Umm...where? What good did those few expirings do for us. Overall, the Webber trade sucked. Because Petrie felt that one trade could rebuild us. He had to have thought Kenny could have been part of a long term plan. Otherwise Kenny would have been moved that same season he came to Sacramento. When he actually had trade value. But no, now we have to waste players WITH trade values just to get rid of the Webber trade.
pillwenney
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,496

Post#18 » by pillwenney » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:47 pm

deNIEd wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

HOW THE HELL WAS THE WEBBER MOVE A GOOD MOVE. that was one of the worst moves ever. Webber would be expired already. Yet we still have many more years with Kenny.
Okay, you can say, the Webber trade broke up his contract into many parts and gave us freedom to use that salary elsewhere. Umm...where? What good did those few expirings do for us. Overall, the Webber trade sucked. Because Petrie felt that one trade could rebuild us. He had to have thought Kenny could have been part of a long term plan. Otherwise Kenny would have been moved that same season he came to Sacramento. When he actually had trade value. But no, now we have to waste players WITH trade values just to get rid of the Webber trade.

It's pretty simple really. If we had kept Chris, we'd be far into the luxury tax right now, without a competitive team. The most important thing about that is that we wouldn't have signed anyone. So basically, if we hadn't done that trade, John Salmons would be in Phoenix or Toronto right now. Now there is still the point that we still have Kenny, but if we were to package Kenny with John in a trade, I would expect more than just straight expirings back--thus it would be positive value over all.

Having said that, it still certainly does seem that we could've gotten a better deal there if not for the fact that it seems pretty clear that Petrie went in with the attitude of "we will trade him regardless of what happens", allowing teams to lowball him.
KingInExile
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by KingInExile » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:10 am

deNIEd wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Uh, no, actually he wouldn't. Webber's original contract was (is) due to expire after this season. So, had the deal not gone down, we would still be shelling out 30% of our total payroll (at least) just for him. Now I won't really argue whether that would be a good or bad thing, but that is still a hell of a chunk of change. Yes we still have Kenny on the books for 2 more years after this, but his salary only accounts for 1/10th of our total salary...not 1/3rd.
King Baller
Pro Prospect
And1: 168

Post#20 » by King Baller » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:52 am

mitchweber wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

It's pretty simple really. If we had kept Chris, we'd be far into the luxury tax right now, without a competitive team. The most important thing about that is that we wouldn't have signed anyone. So basically, if we hadn't done that trade, John Salmons would be in Phoenix or Toronto right now. Now there is still the point that we still have Kenny, but if we were to package Kenny with John in a trade, I would expect more than just straight expirings back--thus it would be positive value over all.

Having said that, it still certainly does seem that we could've gotten a better deal there if not for the fact that it seems pretty clear that Petrie went in with the attitude of "we will trade him regardless of what happens", allowing teams to lowball him.

All I can add is imagine going thus far this season without John Salmons. John has been very, very good this year for the Kings.

KB

Return to Sacramento Kings