ImageImageImageImageImage

Now that tempers have calmed a bit, I have a question.

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,107

Now that tempers have calmed a bit, I have a question. 

Post#1 » by jazzfan1971 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:11 pm

It appeared to me that Ron Artest was hopped up on drugs in the game against the Jazz last night.

My question is, is this just Ron Artest? Does he always act like he's hopped up on drugs? Or might he actually have been high?

I know that there are players that play on drugs or drunk, I think a former Jazz player admitted not long ago that he never played a game sober. So, this isn't as much of an attack on Ron as an observation and a question.

What's your thought? Am I off my rocker? Or was Ron on something?
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,107

Post#2 » by jazzfan1971 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:35 pm

Ok, that's too much to ask if he was on something.

What I'm asking is, did it appear to you, as it did to me, that he was on something.

OR.

Due to your familiarity with Ron, and my lack thereof, it just looked like Ron doing his normal thing.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
KingInExile
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4

Re: Now that tempers have calmed a bit, I have a question. 

Post#3 » by KingInExile » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:41 pm

jazzfan1971 wrote:It appeared to me that Ron Artest was hopped up on drugs in the game against the Jazz last night.

My question is, is this just Ron Artest? Does he always act like he's hopped up on drugs? Or might he actually have been high?

I know that there are players that play on drugs or drunk, I think a former Jazz player admitted not long ago that he never played a game sober. So, this isn't as much of an attack on Ron as an observation and a question.

What's your thought? Am I off my rocker? Or was Ron on something?

That was Keon Clark, so both teams can attest that this is a possibility.

I don't recall hearing any past allegations of Ron ever taking drugs. That doesn't mean that he doesn't or hasn't taken drugs, but it does mean that there have never been any reason to point to drug use as a factor with him. For the most part, last night was just another example of "Ron being Ron"...according to teammates.

Sam Amik (Kings beat reporter for the Bee) posted an interesting blog after the game last night on this topic.
Ar-Testing the limits
SALT LAKE CITY - They're talking about the Kings again, and not in the way that makes the Maloofs want to wave that purple flag with pride.
Ron Artest's outlandish act in the Kings' loss isn't a good thing for this team in any way, even if point guard Mike Bibby said afterward that "he was fighting for all of us." I'd like to think I've learned not to overreact to the way Artest is - "Ron being Ron," as you hear so often - but this was impossible to ignore and enough to leave the locals searching for all the old adjectives Artest has tried so hard to get away from.
"Crazy" (courtesy of Utah point guard Deron Williams - as quoted here)
"Whacko" (a headline in the Deseret Morning News).
"Meltdown" (Salt Lake Tribune game story).
And I'm not even going to touch on some of the adjectives the hecklers had for him.

In my report, there just wasn't enough room to touch on everything Artest did on the floor - not to mention the omission that he had 15 points on 5 of 12 shooting and eight rebounds. He also ripped a ball from a fan in the front row at EnergySolutions Arena as he went to inbound the ball, not actually making contact but doing it with a flying-elbow motion that made everyone watching nervous. He pounded his chest so incessantly that NFL officials watching on televisions went reaching for their whistles for an unsportsmanlike call. He yelled in harmless fashion at the the crowd in its mass, with some of his actuall words of choice as pointless as "Basketball!" The local media thought Artest pushed the limits with coach Jerry Sloan, the obvious old-schooler who apparently was pounding his own chest during a timeout as a way of asking the officiating crew if they planned on doing anything to stop the Hulk gesture. Sloan, like everyone else in attendance, would quickly learn that the only way to stop Ron on this night was by sending him out of town early. For a look at Artest's last hurrah before he was ejected and - ironically - went through the tunnel while trying to high-five Jazz fans on his way out, enjoy this pic.

It sounds like this was an emotional outburst more than anything else; an outburst provoked by some pretty childish fan heckling. While I understand the reasons why he may want to respond, that doesn't make it right. He needs to be professional and rise above the stupidity of the fans who are jeering him. I have noticed this as a bad pattern lately. In Detroit he spends much of the game responding to boos and heckling by blowing the crow kisses. In Indiana he responded to boos with similar antics. That is what is being considered "Ron being Ron". Unfortunately, "Ron being Ron" is turning into a huge distraction and is starting to hurt the team at inopportune times.
This space needs to be filled with a new sig...but I'm too lazy to make one.
hbhakta
Sophomore

Post#4 » by hbhakta » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:46 pm

dude what the hell are you talking about??? thats just Artest, and thats how he plays, theres nothing wrong with it, and what does it have to do with him being high, thats just bull. Its unfair that he gets treated this way, while **** like Harpring gets away with harder fouls.

and wasnt it in Utah where keon clarks career went down the drain, maybe you guys should check Harpring for some drugs.
KingInExile
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by KingInExile » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:52 pm

hbhakta wrote:dude what the hell are you talking about??? thats just Artest, and thats how he plays, theres nothing wrong with it, and what does it have to do with him being high, thats just bull. Its unfair that he gets treated this way, while **** like Harpring gets away with harder fouls.

and wasnt it in Utah where keon clarks career went down the drain, maybe you guys should check Harpring for some drugs.

We shipped him out because his bad habits and attitudes were pushing his career to the toilet. Keon's recent comments about "never playing a game sober" applied to his time in Sacramento. In retrospect, I'm positive that his drug and alcohol use had a lot to do with Petrie shipping him off for whatever he could get. Don't blame Utah...it was all Keon.
This space needs to be filled with a new sig...but I'm too lazy to make one.
RoyalCourtJestr
Analyst
And1: 1

Post#6 » by RoyalCourtJestr » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:07 pm

This hurts the Kings in everyway - if they diside to keep him, we have to deal with "Ron being Ron" and this certainly hurts his trade value.

The technical fouls were one thing, he didn't deserve either, but other then that, his behavior last night (the outbust that as KIE said could have been because of the crowd) was foolish for his team and himself.
mprose wrote:And that leaves me with the conclusion that DMC is the Sarah Palin of the NBA.
91siccx
Junior
And1: 0

Post#7 » by 91siccx » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:28 pm

ron ended up getting out of line last night i just think its weak the no class having fans and the other players involved all get automatic passes.
Monsters Inc.
Senior

Post#8 » by Monsters Inc. » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:25 pm

Yeah, Ron definitely was a bit over the top yesterday. I love the occasional muscle flex to the fans after he powers his way to the basket, but yesterday he had me thinking, "Uh oh, crazy Ron is making a comeback."

As it has been said, Ron has thus far been great at controlling his temper and attitude on the court. Ripping the ball away from a fan and yelling after EVERY made free throw was a little much. Granted, this was a physical game and some times things get heated in those types of games.

From what I remember from that diary thing from a writer at ESPN(?), Ron does take some prescription drugs for his behavior. Maybe he forgot to take them. Then again, it could be the ways things were being played on the court and egging on from the fans. Ron wants to be liked and I think the unprovoked booing and jeers thrown at him by fans gets to him.
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,504

Post#9 » by RIPskaterdude » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:31 pm

I think it would be VERY tough to play basketball drunk. Have you ever tried to run up and down a court while incredibly drunk? Now on drugs, that's a completely different story...

But like I said, Ron was just trying to fire up his team, and while he took it a little too far, I don't think he meant anyone harm. Remember, Ron thinks that half of basketball is entertainment, and I agree with him. People pay good money for seats at games, and you don't think they had fun booing at Ron when he was going crazy and yelling? Without bad guys to boo at, there would be no good guys to cheer for :wink:
pillwenney
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,499

Post#10 » by pillwenney » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:26 am

I honestly think that last night was the only time when it was really weird. The Detroit and Indy games don't worry me at all.

But the fact remains that acting weird isn't reason enough to get ejected.

I really think that a guy who is going through what Ron is with his daughter can't be expected to act normally all the time. And whereas most players are probably more inclined to react with a subdued attitude at a time like that, I think Ron's reaction is to overcompensate.
Bibbinator
Rookie
And1: 3

Post#11 » by Bibbinator » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:47 am

mitchweber wrote:I honestly think that last night was the only time when it was really weird. The Detroit and Indy games don't worry me at all.

But the fact remains that acting weird isn't reason enough to get ejected.

I really think that a guy who is going through what Ron is with his daughter can't be expected to act normally all the time. And whereas most players are probably more inclined to react with a subdued attitude at a time like that, I think Ron's reaction is to overcompensate.

Wow. I forgot about the daughter situation. Ron must have a lot of emotions built up, and I'm surprised at how he's holding up.

I just think Artest was trying to get his team fired up and back into the game.

If this was Kevin Martin doing what Artest did. No one would be saying anything. It's just the fact that it's Ron Artest. Grant Napear basically said the same thing.
UKF
Assistant Coach

Post#12 » by UKF » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:10 am

He was acting a little different then he usually does. At the last game against detroit he was blowing kisses. I dont think he was high, he has never had drug problems during his NBA caree.

He does play with a lot of emotion which I love, but sometimes that gets in the way of how he plays and it effects the team in a bad way.

Also, the refs sucked last night. They played like it was the night after Artest went up into the stands. They also were happy to give Theus and Ron techs but Harpring and Sloan didnt get anything. It was so obvious too. W/e I guess thats what happens when you have Ron Artest on your team.
Salvadore does not have a p-n-s!
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,448

Post#13 » by KF10 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:24 am

So, playing with emotion/passion consider to be high?
Smills91
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#14 » by Smills91 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:11 am

His actions were more in line with the LACK of taking drugs aka Riddilin.
SacTown Kings
Lead Assistant
And1: 133

Post#15 » by SacTown Kings » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:33 am

My conspiracy theory is that Ron knows what he was doing was a little out of line or a distraction from the team. I think he wants to be traded and knows this kind of behavior might make Petrie look a little harder at getting rid of him.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#16 » by SacKingZZZ » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:07 am

It's very possible that Ron is affected by hearing his name in so many trade rumors and basically being the only significant name involved in trades lately. Don't forget, that is one of the main reasons he finally asked out of Indy. I believe it was a rumor published by our very own Sam Amick.
BMiller52
RealGM

Post#17 » by BMiller52 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:36 am

SacKingZZZ wrote:It's very possible that Ron is affected by hearing his name in so many trade rumors and basically being the only significant name involved in trades lately. Don't forget, that is one of the main reasons he finally asked out of Indy. I believe it was a rumor published by our very own Sam Amick.

Actually it was Voisin I think.
pillwenney
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,499

Post#18 » by pillwenney » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:49 am

SacKingZZZ wrote:It's very possible that Ron is affected by hearing his name in so many trade rumors and basically being the only significant name involved in trades lately. Don't forget, that is one of the main reasons he finally asked out of Indy. I believe it was a rumor published by our very own Sam Amick.

Really? I haven't heard anything about anybody yet.
jazz__stoner
Veteran

Post#19 » by jazz__stoner » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:00 am

Ron Artest gives drugs a bad name. Seriously the dude is on drugs in this game and showed little to hide it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBx8LSwqRpE

Drugs and an insane mind don't mix yo.
BMiller52
RealGM

Post#20 » by BMiller52 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:05 am

jazz__stoner wrote:Ron Artest gives drugs a bad name. Seriously the dude is on drugs in this game and showed little to hide it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBx8LSwqRpE

Drugs and an insane mind don't mix yo.

He's not on drugs. You got to be **** kidding me.

Return to Sacramento Kings