ImageImageImageImageImage

Sacbee: Kings/Nuggets talking Artest for Nene?

Moderators: codydaze, KF10, City of Trees

Smills91
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#141 » by Smills91 » Sat Feb 9, 2008 4:15 pm

KingInExile wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Sure the Kings have the inside track to resigning him, we always have since we own his Bird rights...assuming HE wants to be with the team past next year (he may not). But the fact that resigning him throws the team way into the tax territory leads me to believe resigning him will be a low priority. Show me one shred of evidence to suggest that the Maloofs would be willing to pay the tax for this roster...they sure were not willing to pay it for better rosters. They may be willing to pay the tax for a championship-caliber roster. Unfortunately this roster if far from championship caliber.

Check out this interview, Ron's agent pretty much agrees with everything i've been saying for a while now:

http://www.myfoxcolorado.com/myfox/page ... geId=3.2.1
KingInExile
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4

Post#142 » by KingInExile » Sat Feb 9, 2008 4:37 pm

Smills91 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Check out this interview, Ron's agent pretty much agrees with everything i've been saying for a while now:

http://www.myfoxcolorado.com/myfox/page ... geId=3.2.1

He also commented that he thinks Artest is worth $13M-$14M a year; you better believe that is the price tag he will take to Petrie this summer in any contract negotiation. You're nuts if you think that Petrie and the Maloofs will give him that type of contract when it means likely paying close to an equivalent amount in luxury tax.
This space needs to be filled with a new sig...but I'm too lazy to make one.
Smills91
Banned User

Post#143 » by Smills91 » Sat Feb 9, 2008 10:36 pm

He also commented that he thinks Artest is worth $13M-$14M a year; you better believe that is the price tag he will take to Petrie this summer in any contract negotiation. You're nuts if you think that Petrie and the Maloofs will give him that type of contract when it means likely paying close to an equivalent amount in luxury tax.

His agent's doing a comparative market analysis...My wife and I are in the process of buying our first house right now(we'll probably get an approved contract later tonight) and that's something that's done in real estate all the time. I think statistically speaking Ron IS worth close to that much when using the CMA alone, however, Ron does have his baggage AND the Kings(or whoever has his Bird Rights) will have the leverage in negotiations(much like the buyer's market today in real estate) and I think Ron will get more than 8 million, but less that 13 million. Honestly, I seem him commanding a deal similar to that of Kevin Martin's deal. 5 years 55 million? Something like that. Give or take a 3-4 million.
KingInExile
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#144 » by KingInExile » Sat Feb 9, 2008 11:12 pm

His agent's doing a comparative market analysis...My wife and I are in the process of buying our first house right now(we'll probably get an approved contract later tonight) and that's something that's done in real estate all the time. I think statistically speaking Ron IS worth close to that much when using the CMA alone, however, Ron does have his baggage AND the Kings(or whoever has his Bird Rights) will have the leverage in negotiations(much like the buyer's market today in real estate) and I think Ron will get more than 8 million, but less that 13 million. Honestly, I seem him commanding a deal similar to that of Kevin Martin's deal. 5 years 55 million? Something like that. Give or take a 3-4 million.

Regardless of whether it is $10M+ a year or $14M per year, the fact still remains that nearly every dollar of Ron's contract (should the Kings resign him) would be over the tax threshold when added to the existing commitments and reasonably anticipated summer additions. I still can't see the Maloofs accepting that type of tax hit to keep him around.
Bibbinator
Rookie
And1: 3

Post#145 » by Bibbinator » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:11 am

Regardless of whether it is $10M+ a year or $14M per year, the fact still remains that nearly every dollar of Ron's contract (should the Kings resign him) would be over the tax threshold when added to the existing commitments and reasonably anticipated summer additions. I still can't see the Maloofs accepting that type of tax hit to keep him around.

I wish they would. =(
Smills91
Banned User

Post#146 » by Smills91 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:11 am

For Ron I can on one condition...they view him as a long term fixture. That's the debate here. Is Ron in the long term plans or not...I guess we'll find out in a couple weeks won't we! :-D
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Post#147 » by jcsunsfan » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:18 am

An earlier post said that a deal for Artest should include cap relief, a pick, and a young player with a future. We could do two of the three.

Artest for a trade exception (he fits under the exception we got for Kurt Thomas), so ALL his salary comes off the books right now. Plus Atlanta's first round pick this year (which we own). That's probably the best we could put together under the CBA rules.

It would give $8 million more to work with during the off-season. A trade exception is better than an expiring because you can use it to sign a player FA, even if you are over the cap. You can even divide it up to sign more than one player. So, it would be the equivalent of trading Ron for two or more promising young players with low salaries, depending how good you are at shopping and drafting in the off-seaon.

You would have two quality first round picks (assuming you still have your own).
Smills91
Banned User

Post#148 » by Smills91 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:16 am

jcsunsfan wrote:An earlier post said that a deal for Artest should include cap relief, a pick, and a young player with a future. We could do two of the three.

Artest for a trade exception (he fits under the exception we got for Kurt Thomas), so ALL his salary comes off the books right now. Plus Atlanta's first round pick this year (which we own). That's probably the best we could put together under the CBA rules.

It would give $8 million more to work with during the off-season. A trade exception is better than an expiring because you can use it to sign a player FA, even if you are over the cap. You can even divide it up to sign more than one player. So, it would be the equivalent of trading Ron for two or more promising young players with low salaries, depending how good you are at shopping and drafting in the off-seaon.

You would have two quality first round picks (assuming you still have your own).

Ron for all intents and purposes is as good at your TPE since he'll opt out and 'expire' himself. So essentially it's Atlanta's pick 10-20 range for Ron? I don't think that's enought personally as I guage that pick being closer to 20 than 10 as of right now.
If the Suns could absorb Kenny's deal OR include a prospect then I think the Kings might begin to consider, but the Suns are a divisonal rival which makes an Artest trade really unlikely unless we get FULL value back in return.
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Post#149 » by jcsunsfan » Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:37 am

Ron for all intents and purposes is as good at your TPE since he'll opt out and 'expire' himself. So essentially it's Atlanta's pick 10-20 range for Ron? I don't think that's enought personally as I guage that pick being closer to 20 than 10 as of right now.
If the Suns could absorb Kenny's deal OR include a prospect then I think the Kings might begin to consider, but the Suns are a divisonal rival which makes an Artest trade really unlikely unless we get FULL value back in return.

You would get 7.8 million trade exception. According to hoopshype, you would be about $4 million under the cap next year without Ron's salary. But some of that will be taken up by a pick. You would be able to get a better FA with $7.8 million than with $3 million (barring any other moves to clear cap space). The TE is more valuable than Ron just as an expiring.

I believe Atlanta's pick is going to end up somewhere between 8 and 15, but that would be just speculation.

I don't know why you would be worried about trading within the conference. You our window will be closing as yours starts to open. You make the best deal for your team.

I am not arguing that you couldn't get a better deal than this for Artest. You might. This is just a better deal for you than it first appears.
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,468

Post#150 » by Ballings7 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:26 am

The Suns I think just lack assets for the Kings outside of the Hawks pick. Questionable if they want to give up Tucker or Strawberry, and plus, the Kings already have a little too many wings as it is. Not like they're not valued, either.

Then there's the divisional foe and the Suns emphasis on character.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#151 » by SacKingZZZ » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:49 am

The only time I would want the Kings to be paying Ron 13 million a year is if we were a stones throw away from a title. Then? No problem, pay him what he wants, craziness and all, but we aren't even close to that point so I think the decision is easy. Re-signing Ron could be crippling to our growth as a team and a franchise.
mr.basketball
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#152 » by mr.basketball » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:20 pm

[quote="Smills91"]-= original quote snipped =-

If the Suns could absorb Kenny's deal OR include a prospect then I think the Kings might begin to consider, but the Suns are a divisonal rival which makes an Artest trade really unlikely unless we get FULL value back in return.[/quote]

Why are you the only one in denial over this guy. With few exceptions everyone here realizes he will not be resigned and if you can get ANY little piece worthwhile or if someone takes KT off your hands (without hurting your longterm cap situation) then grab it. You kind of think teams are lining up for this guy. And by him quoting that he's looking for 12-14mil a year :rofl2: , who in there right mind would pay that? Even my Knicks wouldn't!!
Smills91
Banned User

Post#153 » by Smills91 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:25 pm

mrs.basketball wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Why are you the only one in denial over this guy. With few exceptions everyone here realizes he will not be resigned and if you can get ANY little piece worthwhile or if someone takes KT off your hands (without hurting your longterm cap situation) then grab it. You kind of think teams are lining up for this guy. And by him quoting that he's looking for 12-14mil a year :rofl2: , who in there right mind would pay that? Even my Knicks wouldn't!!

That's all I needed to know, the rest of your post doesn't illicit a response from me.

Should have just left it at that...KIE
mr.basketball
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#154 » by mr.basketball » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:18 pm

This kind of junk is not going to fly here.
Ballings7
RealGM

Post#155 » by Ballings7 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:20 pm

Okay, now, why say "dick"? That doesn't make any sense.
KingInExile
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#156 » by KingInExile » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:35 pm

ENOUGH WITH THE PERSONAL ATTACKS. IF YOU CAN'T DISCUSS THE TOPIC WITHOUT INSULTING PEOPLE, DON'T BOTHER POSTING.
Smills91
Banned User

Post#157 » by Smills91 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:36 pm

mr.basketball wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Coming from putz who likes Romney is actually a complement. And my VAST ARRAY of EXPERIENCE began when your franchise was still in Ohio. I still remember when the Knicks came back on your team down 5 with 15 seconds to go with Bob Cousy inbounding the ball, dick.

Welcome to the Ignore list.
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,394

Post#158 » by RIPskaterdude » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:58 pm

Artest, meanwhile, is being publicly melancholic over his potential departure from the Kings, who are trying to include Kenny Thomas in any Artest deal.

Sources told ESPN.com that talks between the Kings and Nuggets, first reported by the Sacramento Bee, involved a larger deal than has been reported. In addition to wanting to include Thomas in their outgoing package, the Kings were believed to be seeking Linas Kleiza and Nene.

There remains a chance the talks could be restarted, sources said, if Sacramento were to drop its asking price, but the most the Nuggets are currently willing to surrender is a package of Eduardo Najera and a first-round draft pick.

LINK:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=sheridan_chris&page=TradeDeadline-080212&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba%2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumnist%3dsheridan_chris%26page%3dTradeDeadline-080212

The story is currently on ESPN's main page.
Ballings7
RealGM

Post#159 » by Ballings7 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:05 pm

There remains a chance the talks could be restarted, sources said, if Sacramento were to drop its asking price

I love statements like this... the credibility and likelyhood drops as you read. Why even report all this?

but the most the Nuggets are currently willing to surrender is a package of Eduardo Najera and a first-round draft pick.

And, that's not going to get it done. If that package is somehow a consideration, do a deal with the Spurs for two of their expirings and their R1 pick.

I'd be absolutely shocked if Najera/R1 pick is all that's done for Ron.
KingInExile
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#160 » by KingInExile » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:37 pm

xx_skaterdude_xx wrote:
Artest, meanwhile, is being publicly melancholic over his potential departure from the Kings, who are trying to include Kenny Thomas in any Artest deal.

Sources told ESPN.com that talks between the Kings and Nuggets, first reported by the Sacramento Bee, involved a larger deal than has been reported. In addition to wanting to include Thomas in their outgoing package, the Kings were believed to be seeking Linas Kleiza and Nene.

There remains a chance the talks could be restarted, sources said, if Sacramento were to drop its asking price, but the most the Nuggets are currently willing to surrender is a package of Eduardo Najera and a first-round draft pick.
I'll see your quote (can you post a link BTW) and will raise you a Sam Amick Blog from yesterday...

February 11, 2008
Are you Mile High?

It never ceases to amaze me how egos in media get out of control sometimes.
Today is one of those times.
A Denver TV man made a futile attempt to poke holes in the Ron-Artest-to-Denver coverage we've had recently. The "breaking news?"His Denver source says the two teams haven't spoken in the "10 to 14 days," as if it was reported otherwise.
Well, this was the last reference in the Bee story on the situation from Saturday's paper...
"Sources close to the Denver Nuggets said there remains a possibility of Artest joining Allen Iverson and Carmelo Anthony in the Mile High City after the two teams had discussions in recent weeks."
And for the record, I first reported they were having discussions on Jan. 31 (and haven't reported any subsequent talks). Hmmm, the timeline seems to add up to me. His source also said the Nuggets would wait until the trade deadline neared to more seriously consider a move. Earth-shattering news as well.
Since anchorman Eric Goodman (who, by the way, is kind of a big deal) decided to play in the mud, it should be noted that this is the same station that published a Q&A with Artest's agent, Mark Stevens, in which the name of Kings basketball president Geoff Petrie was misspelled. It was originally written as "Jeff" until they apparently changed it.
As for where that situation stands, the Nuggets may have played well enough lately to inspire them to stand pat. They've won five of six games, with the only loss in overtime against Utah. They have back to back games against Miami and Orlando starting on Tuesday, then face Boston on Feb. 19 before the deadline comes. Hypothetically speaking, a slide during this time would have certainly played on their decision-making process. There is still some life to the scenario, but stay tuned. - Sam Amick

The underlined portion had me :rofl:

Return to Sacramento Kings