ImageImageImageImageImage

Spencer Hawes

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

Starter by years end?

Yes - of course he will. Whose in front of him?
No votes
Its possible - Depends on what are record is / improvement
40%
No Way - He needs to sit and learn
60%

Total votes: 15

SactownHrtBrks8
Lead Assistant
And1: 68

Spencer Hawes 

Post#1 » by SactownHrtBrks8 » Fri Feb 1, 2008 8:26 am

How much more playing time will he get after the all-star break?

I am looking for his minutes to increase at least to a consistent 15-20 mpg

He has the skills to play in the league. He seems to plays well when he does play even if he misses his shot. His rebounding has been better than I thought it would be although he has a long way to go

Do you think he could be a starter by the end of the year next to Brad? Even if he is only playing about 20 mpg anyway? Or is he going to a bench player the rest of the year?

I'm real hopeful either way. I think he will stay the bench for the rest of the year. I can't till next season to see the work he has put in the weight room to get stronger and see how he develops

I'll change the poll if you think i missed something
sackings916
Assistant Coach
And1: 624

Post#2 » by sackings916 » Fri Feb 1, 2008 10:23 am

Its best if he comes off the bench the rest of the year IMO. He's not ready to be a starter and play starter minutes, but I like what he's shown his rookie year. Maybe next season or the season after that he'll be ready. By the time Miller's game deteriorates Spencer should be ready to fill that starting C spot. If you think about it for a 19 year old center playing against grown men he's been pretty good. His body is nowhere near ready though, and strength wise its literally like a boy against men. But the skills are there, he just needs his body and experience to catch up.
pillwenney
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,499

Post#3 » by pillwenney » Fri Feb 1, 2008 10:36 am

sackings916 wrote:Its best if he comes off the bench the rest of the year IMO. He's not ready to be a starter and play starter minutes, but I like what he's shown his rookie year. Maybe next season or the season after that he'll be ready. By the time Miller's game deteriorates Spencer should be ready to fill that starting C spot. If you think about it for a 19 year old center playing against grown men he's been pretty good. His body is nowhere near ready though, and strength wise its literally like a boy against men. But the skills are there, he just needs his body and experience to catch up.

Bingo. Spencer isn't nearly ready enough.
KingInExile
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4

Post#4 » by KingInExile » Fri Feb 1, 2008 3:47 pm

He has a lot of potential, but he's really not ready for the NBA game yet. I can see him maxing out at 10min a game the rest of the season; 15-20 is just out of the question. He needs to watch and study the opposition he will face in the upcoming years and he needs to get his body into NBA shape. His time will come, just not right away.
This space needs to be filled with a new sig...but I'm too lazy to make one.
SactownHrtBrks8
Lead Assistant
And1: 68

Post#5 » by SactownHrtBrks8 » Sat Feb 2, 2008 7:16 am

He needs more than one stint in the game though
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#6 » by SacKingZZZ » Sat Feb 2, 2008 7:42 am

I think "ready" is a relative term. He seems to know how to put the basketball in the hoop, can move those two limbs that keep his body up, has arms, so... I'd say he could probable play basketball.

Now, it all depends on the situation. I really hope his role is increased as time goes on but there is plenty of time for him, let him work for his minutes at this point. Of course too soon is never soon enough. Getting those minutes now would only speed up his development, there is no learning experience like feeling the pressure of being under the gun. If Kevin Durant can play NBA ball at this stage in his development I'd say Spencer can. If you want to try and win every game then it might not be the best idea, you can bet it would be more beneficial in the long run though.
Smills91
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#7 » by Smills91 » Sat Feb 2, 2008 3:10 pm

The greatest thing about Spencer is that he actually catches passes from teammates. That's starting to become my #1 requisite in a big man.
Sac Fan in Clipper town
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#8 » by Sac Fan in Clipper town » Sat Feb 2, 2008 11:48 pm

He's intelligent and has good hands, but needs more time in the gym.

I would like to see 10-12 minutes a night once it is confirmed we are not a play off team, and any trades are done.
Bac2Basics
RealGM
And1: 3
Location: "Are you like a crazy person? I'm quite sure they will say so."

Post#9 » by Bac2Basics » Sun Feb 3, 2008 7:22 am

I think Hawes would be seeing alot more time if Brad Miller wasn't on such a tear lately.

I agree that if Spencer could get between 10-15 mins a game, it would do alot for his progression.
_SRV_
Analyst
And1: 2

Post#10 » by _SRV_ » Sun Feb 3, 2008 9:21 am

He's the best thing we have for a big man on the bench, he "deserves" 10 to 15 minutes a game, we're starting a career journy man at PF for crying out loud, you can't get any less "ready" than that.
xx_skaterdude_xx wrote:Kobe gets bailed out more than Wall Street.

Return to Sacramento Kings