ImageImageImageImageImage

What do the Kings Management Expect to get for Artest...

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#41 » by shrink » Fri Feb 8, 2008 10:29 pm

Look man, amidst your "exagerations" and "mistakes" and downright misreading of the argument (I calculated Artest's effective salary, you read I'm argueing "luxury issues?"), it seems like a waste of time to continue responding to your posts. Even when you try to correct your mistakes, you still don't know what you're talking about (the luxury threshold for the 07-08 season is $67.685 mil). It does not seem like it would be productive to carry on a conversation with you when you seem to argue points that aren't in the issue, and seem to be so erroneous in the facts and numbers you bring to the conversation.

Bye bye .. you may proceed to "butcher" my arguement and drvie me out now.
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,505

Post#42 » by RIPskaterdude » Fri Feb 8, 2008 10:30 pm

I think the Kings are looking to see what kind of draft pick they can get for Artest. Denver offered Nene to the Kings, but because of his cancer rehab (out for at least 2-3 months more), they don't want anything to do with that. Chad Ford suggested that they offer expirings and a 1st but...one late 1st for Artest? Cmon...
SactownHrtBrks8
Lead Assistant
And1: 68

Post#43 » by SactownHrtBrks8 » Fri Feb 8, 2008 10:30 pm

shrink wrote:Now, I thought this was a serious discussion from the title of the thread. If you want to discuss whether teams will pay $17 mil for Artest in today's NBA, I'm open to an honest discussion.

If you want to make things up, like "17 teams are over the lux" or "I've posted this 20 times" or change my quotes, then I suspect you've found the reason people don't continue discussing things with you, Artest93.

People discuss things with me fine.

You were the one that walked away when you kept saying that Memphis attaching Cardinal to Gasol is the same as the Kings attaching Thomas with Artest, when i used your own logic and numbers to prove that it would be a 10 million dollar difference next year even with Artest getting a new contract when you're the one so big on finances

I am not going to pull posts. I have no need too.
SactownHrtBrks8
Lead Assistant
And1: 68

Post#44 » by SactownHrtBrks8 » Fri Feb 8, 2008 10:31 pm

shrink wrote:Look man, amidst your "exagerations" and "mistakes" and downright misreading of the argument (I calculated Artest's effective salary, you read I'm argueing "luxury issues?"), it seems like a waste of time to continue responding to your posts. Even when you try to correct your mistakes, you still don't know what you're talking about (the luxury threshold for the 07-08 season is $67.685 mil). It does not seem like it would be productive to carry on a conversation with you when you seem to argue points that aren't in the issue, and seem to be so erroneous in the facts and numbers you bring to the conversation.

Ditto
pillwenney
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,500

Post#45 » by pillwenney » Fri Feb 8, 2008 10:49 pm

Piranha wrote:I think Joe D would be willing to part with Amir IF Ron Ron agreed to extend his current deal for a year or two at a reasonable salary. The Pistons owner will not pay the luxury tax, so matching Ron Ron this summer could be impossible given the existing salaries already committed to the team.

I doubt Artest would agree to do that... which likely makes him a rent a player for us.

I'm sure most contending teams are in the same boat.

You're right, he probably wouldn't want that, and so Artest to the Pistons wouldn't be that likely.

But other teams are willing to pay the tax to contend, and if they want a serious shot at it, they'll have to pony up.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#46 » by shrink » Fri Feb 8, 2008 11:32 pm

Looking over your contract situation, I think its highly improtant to try to move, or reduce Kenny Thomas' salary, particularly with Kevin Martin's salary to navigate. I think a package of Artest + KT that would be best would be "some" expiring + "some" two year, + a late 1st.

I know there have been hundreds of SAC trades, and I've read hardly any, but if I was going to give it a try, I'd start with something like this:

SAC TRADES: Artest, Kenny Thomas
SAC GETS: Garrity (exp), Arroyo (exp), Eric Snow, Cedric Simmons, ORL 1st

SAC uses Artest value to save $8 mil in each of 2008-09, and 2009-10 to get some room to sign Kevin Martin. Kenny Thomas for Eric Snow saves a year of salary. This deal is mostly about financial rebuilding, but ORL's late pick and Cedric Simmons are tools for the future.

CLE TRADES: Drew Gooden, Eric Snow, Cedric Simmons,
CLE GETS: Ron Artest, Kenny Thomas

CLE needs something -- maybe its Artest? They upgrade from Gooden to Artest at a cost of another year of salary on the tail end (after they are out of the lux), and give up Cedric Simmons, who might be guaranteed salary they don't want Varejao. Marshall's healthy again, and maybe Kenny Thomas can help next to giant Zyd Ilgauskis.

ORL TRADES: Garrity (exp), Arroyo (exp), 2008 1st
ORL GETS: Drew Gooden

Orlando adds a legitimate big man to help under the boards, and is willing to make a three year commitment because he's young, and ORL will be tapped out for free agents for a while. This helps them play Turkoglu and Lewis more at their legitimate SF positions, and reduces injury risks to their expensive players.
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,505

Post#47 » by RIPskaterdude » Sat Feb 9, 2008 1:10 am

mr.basketball
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#48 » by mr.basketball » Sat Feb 9, 2008 2:08 am

Another poster said this on another thread Marbury for Artest, Rahim and Thomas. This clears $15M for the summer of 2009 free agency. LONGTERM, this is the best scernario for the Kings. BMiller said it best, no one is giving the Kings a boat load of talent and take back Thomas.
Sacramento_King
Rookie
And1: 76

Post#49 » by Sacramento_King » Sat Feb 9, 2008 11:35 pm

It seems like we are getting less and less each day. Artest is now a 13 to 14 million dollar a year player. He tells the teams he has sore knees and feet and than tells the media he just wanted a day off. The guy is unstable and to me is drawing a line with Theus as to the leader of the team. He needs to be moved sooner than later. Add Reef and dump him for expirings and a late first. Dump Bibby for expirings or add KT and take back contracts that end a year earlier ala Snow and Donyell. They need to pick the revuild direction and run with it.
Baseline Runner
Analyst
And1: 1,067

Post#50 » by Baseline Runner » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:00 am

The Cavs would love to take Artest and Kenny Thomas' contract off your hands and we'll even give you Gooden too who will help your team.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,448

Post#51 » by KF10 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:04 am

Baseline Runner wrote:The Cavs would love to take Artest and Kenny Thomas' contract off your hands and we'll even give you Gooden too who will help your team.

We declined a Gooden/Bibby deal before, so what makes you think that you guys can get Artest for Gooden?
Hoops23
General Manager
And1: 1,269

Post#52 » by Hoops23 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:15 pm

How true is the rumor that the Kings are sold with a trade of Artest for JR Smith? Is it true that Coach Karl is the reason why it didn't push through because of his hesitant to trade Najera? I thought the deal is Artest & Thomas for Najera & Nene.

Imo Artest for JR Smith & Najera is a good deal for the Kings because they receive Smith instead of ending up for nothing this summer considering Artest will opt out.
KingInExile
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4

Post#53 » by KingInExile » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:41 pm

Hoops23 wrote:How true is the rumor that the Kings are sold with a trade of Artest for JR Smith? Is it true that Coach Karl is the reason why it didn't push through because of his hesitant to trade Najera? I thought the deal is Artest & Thomas for Najera & Nene.

Imo Artest for JR Smith & Najera is a good deal for the Kings because they receive Smith instead of ending up for nothing this summer considering Artest will opt out.

In all honesty, there is no way any of us will know the answer to this because Geoff Petrie does not do his business in the media. I doubt he would even tell a priest in the sanctuary of a confessional what his plans are.

The Sacramento Bee's Kings beat writer had a recent article that brought up many of your points and he tends to be fairly reliable when it comes to reporting rumored activity. But even that article read more as hypothesis and conjecture about what the Kings would do and not like an article with any real information about the Kings' plans. About the only thing anyone could be comfortable in confirming is that the Kings and Nuggets are having or have had preliminary discussions about the possibility of a trade involving Artest. Beyond that, it is doubtful anyone in Sacramento will know more.
This space needs to be filled with a new sig...but I'm too lazy to make one.
Sacramento_King
Rookie
And1: 76

Post#54 » by Sacramento_King » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:55 pm

Baseline Runner wrote:The Cavs would love to take Artest and Kenny Thomas' contract off your hands and we'll even give you Gooden too who will help your team.

To Cle: Artest and KT
To Hou: Gooden
To Sac: Scola, Newble, Simmons, Snyder, Shannon Brown and 1st 08 Hou

Trade Bibby and Newble to Orl for expirings, Vazquez and 1st 08.

Start rebuilding immediately.
rpa
RealGM
And1: 7,454

Post#55 » by rpa » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:17 pm

Hoops23 wrote:Imo Artest for JR Smith & Najera is a good deal for the Kings because they receive Smith instead of ending up for nothing this summer considering Artest will opt out.

I'd rather take the chance the Kings get nothing this summer than take that crappy deal. JR Smith would be the Kings' 4th best wingman. And this is before you consider that Douby is turning into a great sub that can take up a few minutes at the 2.

In reality JR Smith does absolutely NOTHING for the Kings.
Smills91
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#56 » by Smills91 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:05 am

I'd rather slit my wrist than trade Artest for JR Smith who would be our 6th string wing player after: Martin, Salmons, Garcia, Douby, Jones to a Western Conference rival...that reeks of stupidity and only homer idiots would think it's a good deal for the Kings.
dc
Head Coach
And1: 8,598

Post#57 » by dc » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:49 am

KingInExile wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

In all honesty, there is no way any of us will know the answer to this because Geoff Petrie does not do his business in the media. I doubt he would even tell a priest in the sanctuary of a confessional what his plans are.

The Sacramento Bee's Kings beat writer had a recent article that brought up many of your points and he tends to be fairly reliable when it comes to reporting rumored activity. But even that article read more as hypothesis and conjecture about what the Kings would do and not like an article with any real information about the Kings' plans. About the only thing anyone could be comfortable in confirming is that the Kings and Nuggets are having or have had preliminary discussions about the possibility of a trade involving Artest. Beyond that, it is doubtful anyone in Sacramento will know more.

I think that's a fair assessment. Petrie is generally a pretty patient guy.

IMO, I don't think the Kings are going to get anyone's frontline prospect like they may be hoping for. Nobody is going to pay that kind of price for a guy who is nuts and might only be a 3 month rental. Maybe a mid-first rounder, sure, but nobody is going to give up a prospect that they're high on.

What I could easily see happening is the Kings holding on to him and working a sign and trade with him during the summer (with the Knicks or something like that). I think Petrie will be willing to wait to try to get what he wants.
SacTown Kings
Lead Assistant
And1: 133

Post#58 » by SacTown Kings » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:18 am

[quote="dc"][/quote]

I think that is what will happen as well, but only if we cannot dump Kenny along with Ron. A sign and trade seems like the most likely and the way we can get better value for Ron, but then we wouldn't be able to trade Kenny with Ron.
dc
Head Coach
And1: 8,598

Post#59 » by dc » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:33 am

SacTown Kings wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I think that is what will happen as well, but only if we cannot dump Kenny along with Ron. A sign and trade seems like the most likely and the way we can get better value for Ron, but then we wouldn't be able to trade Kenny with Ron.

Another factor in this for the Kings is the luxury tax. If the Kings want to re-sign Artest or pull a sign and trade that nets equal salary back, the Maloofs will most likely have to pay the luxury tax. It may require a sign and trade involving a 3rd team under that's under the cap for the Kings to avoid the tax.

Hoopshype doesn't have Miki Moore and Kevin Martin's contract figures out there, but figure Moore next year gets about $5.5M and Martin gets about $8M, then add another $2M for the draft pick (assuming Kings keep it). Then add additional salary that it would take to bring back guys like Udrih and Justin Williams (if the Kings still want those guys).

Add it all up and the Kings would more than likely be in luxury tax territory if they gave into Artest's new salary demands.

It's all a moot point if the Maloofs are willing to pay the tax or if they can somehow maneuver out of existing contracts that run into next season.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#60 » by SacKingZZZ » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:33 am

Hoops23 wrote:How true is the rumor that the Kings are sold with a trade of Artest for JR Smith? Is it true that Coach Karl is the reason why it didn't push through because of his hesitant to trade Najera? I thought the deal is Artest & Thomas for Najera & Nene.

Well, common sense tells me that if all it took for the Nuggets to land Ron Artest was JR Smith and Najera, the deal would have been done yesterday. As of now I don't think it happened so I guess its BULL****.

Return to Sacramento Kings