12:00 PST has passed

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

BMiller52
RealGM
And1: 0

Post#21 » by BMiller52 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:15 am

deNIEd wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

These do not coexist.

Look at my other thread. Let's say Artest has 4 more years in him, Hawes will be 23. He hasn't shown the promise of becoming an elite center soon, so he may be good by 23, but not great. Our draft picks will all be middle picks, so no players that can come and make an immediate impact ex.(Horford, Durant, LeBron, Wade type players, but instead will take a few years or so). 08 we can't sign anyone. 09 there's very few people to sign, Brand, Marion, Odom. Marion and Odom aren't a "big FA". Brand maybe, but do we want to sign brand to a multiyear contract at hte age of 31? His deal wouldn't run out until he is 36? And it will be a near max deal?!!

So the soonest we can sign a big name FA, would be '10 or '11. By then Artest will be 31 or 32. Give another 2 years for the team to gel together and put together missing pieces, and Artest will be at 33-34.

Well yeah we didn't trade Ron but we DID trade Mike. Dude just be happy we got atleast 1 deal done. We weren't going to get a top 5 pick and a GREAT surefire pick anyway because teams like Miami, Seattle, Memphis, etc. are all garbage. We got a young big man and some expiring contracts and instead of being happy about that you're just whining that we're not tanking hard enough. And Spencer has shown some signs for sure this year. If he can become a starting level center next year, I think the year after is where he has a shot to be DAMN good.
deNIEd
Banned User
And1: 30

Post#22 » by deNIEd » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:21 am

BMiller52 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Well yeah we didn't trade Ron but we DID trade Mike. Dude just be happy we got atleast 1 deal done. We weren't going to get a top 5 pick and a GREAT surefire pick anyway because teams like Miami, Seattle, Memphis, etc. are all garbage. We got a young big man and some expiring contracts and instead of being happy about that you're just whining that we're not tanking hard enough. And Spencer has shown some signs for sure this year. If he can become a starting level center next year, I think the year after is where he has a shot to be DAMN good.

Am I thrilled with what Petrie did this deadline, not entirely, but I'm pleased with it.

However, we CANNOT have the attitude that we are almost done rebuilding, and only 1 or 2 more pieces and we are there. Yes, if those one or two pieces is a Dwight/Horford/Okafor or Paul/Calderon/Rose type player, but chances are, they won't be. We have begun to head int he right direction in my mind, but we aren't close to contending, and we can't start beginning to contend until our team is perfect. Not, after Artest is signed, and add 2 more draft picks, type of a deal.
BMiller52
RealGM
And1: 0

Post#23 » by BMiller52 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:00 am

Am I thrilled with what Petrie did this deadline, not entirely, but I'm pleased with it.

However, we CANNOT have the attitude that we are almost done rebuilding, and only 1 or 2 more pieces and we are there. Yes, if those one or two pieces is a Dwight/Horford/Okafor or Paul/Calderon/Rose type player, but chances are, they won't be. We have begun to head int he right direction in my mind, but we aren't close to contending, and we can't start beginning to contend until our team is perfect. Not, after Artest is signed, and add 2 more draft picks, type of a deal.

I don't think Petrie's done though. He doesn't think we're a contender right now. In fact after the Bibby trade was completed he pretty much told the Bee these last 29 games or whatever were pretty much an evaluation period for him. Do we have a young superstar? Not really. But we have some young talent, a lot, and I think he'll use this last part of the season to evaluate. The general consensus on Shelden is he can be a 10/10 player in his prime, well we'll get to see if he has the talent to exceed that or if he's an underachiever. Spencer should get a few more games with big minutes like he had a few nights ago. Beno will show whether he's a starting PG or a back up. Martin we already know what we got. But he'll use this period as a time to evaluate guys.

Also even if we had moved Ron we're not going to have a great pick anyway. We would've picked 8th at best, probably 9th or 10th(where we still have a shot to pick IMO). In the west, Memphis, Minnesota, Seattle, and the Clippers are all way more horrible. We wouldn't have been worse than a single one of those teams. In the East you got Miami, NY, and 2 other teams that are pretty much trash who I can't think of at the moment. We're looking at a 10-12 range pick either way because the West has such a talent level drop off between the good teams and the bad teams.

The better option regarding the pick may be looking into moving up 2 or 3 spots. I'm guessing NY might do it, or a team like the Clippers since Sterling is happy with mediocrity and has his hand in the cooky jar(so to speak... management/player personnel decisions) way too much. If they could get rid of a potential problem(NY) or add a decent player(LAC) they might just look into it.

We already have a bunch of young players anyway, so a Kleiza wouldn't have helped. He's not really better than Cisco IMO. Not a PG. We haven't even given Douby enough time at SG. He's not a PF. We have C, SF, and SG basically covered. So we should do whatever we can to get a good PG that's young. S&T for Calderon or trade up in the draft or something. But right now we need to evaluate Douby, Hawes, Williams, Cisco, Beno, etc. We also have 2 2nd rounders.

I think you're underrating Ron's impact on developing the young guys as well. It's well known he spent all offseason working out with Kevin, I remember reading in the Bee. He works out after practice with the younger guys. He recently said he's going to help Shelden get better and that he likes his game. Ron is able to accelerate guys' development and help them learn tricks they might not learn without him here, so if he helps our young guys become good instead of decent, or decent instead of mediocre, I'd say he's helping the future of the team.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#24 » by SacKingZZZ » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:02 am

BMiller52 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Yeah but we traded Mike for what can only be considered a rebuilding package, and then didn't follow it up with any other moves to go with it. It's like running a 5 mile race and deciding to walk the rest of the way 1 mile into it.
sackings916
Assistant Coach
And1: 625

Post#25 » by sackings916 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:13 am

These do not coexist.

Look at my other thread. Let's say Artest has 4 more years in him, Hawes will be 23. He hasn't shown the promise of becoming an elite center soon, so he may be good by 23, but not great. Our draft picks will all be middle picks, so no players that can come and make an immediate impact ex.(Horford, Durant, LeBron, Wade type players, but instead will take a few years or so). 08 we can't sign anyone. 09 there's very few people to sign, Brand, Marion, Odom. Marion and Odom aren't a "big FA". Brand maybe, but do we want to sign brand to a multiyear contract at hte age of 31? His deal wouldn't run out until he is 36? And it will be a near max deal?!!

So the soonest we can sign a big name FA, would be '10 or '11. By then Artest will be 31 or 32. Give another 2 years for the team to gel together and put together missing pieces, and Artest will be at 33-34.

Obviously the Kings will need some luck to be an elite team. Whether thats a special player falling in their hands in this or the next draft or Shelden Williams become a great defender/rebounder. We'll need to catch a few breaks somewhere. And you're not being realistic with not wanted to sign a FA at the age of 30, at some point we're going to have to take a risk on a player in that stage of his career whether its an Artest or Brand. Every team thats a contender does it, just look around the league. Also 2 full seasons for a team to gel is a bit much, we should be able to have enough pieces to compete in 2 or 3 seasons(around 2010 or 11), which is usually how long it takes for a rebuilding phase (the elite Kings teams in the early 00s)

Also im more worried about the PG position for the Kings more than anything. We basically need a miracle to get a top pick, so its likely we pick around the same or a few spots past last years pick. That means if we are to get a PG in the draft its probably a PG on the level of Law or Felton which is not going to cut it IMO. I think putting an elite PG next to Martin will take this team and especially Martin's game to another level.

Return to Sacramento Kings