Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

10B10
Junior
And1: 3

Re: Trading #1 Overall 

Post#41 » by 10B10 » Sun Apr 5, 2009 12:57 pm

Smills91 wrote:
ICMTM wrote:
Smills91 wrote:I like Rubio, but I don't want you all to get your hopes up either. His athleticism, quickness/speed and agility are all average to below average. While he'll certainly be brilliant is some aspects of the game, he could have some strong deficiencies and challenges in other realms.

So is Mike Bibby in terms of speed/quickness etc etc.

If we were to look at the PG position based purely on athleticism Jennings would be the lock! In fact comparing the two I still believe Rubio fits the PG prototype better. Jennings however would far better fit the offense we've ran in the past. I only say "past" because we are rebuilding. Who knows if the Princeton style offense will still be a Kings staple in the years to come.

That's another thing....Bibby can shoot, Rubio's a below average shooter too. I'm just mentioning the red flags here. I still think he's good, and will have at worst a solid career, but people on this board think he's the next Jason Kidd(with a jumper). I don't think that's entirely accurate.

I'd take Rubio over Jennings 10 times out of 10...Jennings is the exact OPPOSITE player as Rubio IMO. All athleticism with minimal SKILLS. Rubio is ALL skills with minimal athleticism.

I don't think Rubio's game resembles Kidd's really at all. In Kidd's younger years, he was able to dominate using primarily his quickness (he absolutely killed at Cal). Rubio has to rely on other skills and I think that is what will make him a unique point guard. I've watched him play pretty extensively and I just love how easy he makes the game look. And, I understand the competition will vastly increase and he will have to guard better athletes at the NBA level, but I think he is a smart enough player to make it happen. He just always seems to be in control of the game which is a valuable skill for a PG.

Also, the concerns about his jump shot shouldn't be a deal breaker at all. Bibby was a poor 3-pt shooter (something like 25% his first season) when he came into the league too. I remember reading an article about how he would shoot thousands of jump shots a day over one off-season and then he vastly improved. Jump shooting is an improvable skill. I think quickness and athleticism are red flags but Rubio and Jennings played against each other last December (in one of Ricky's first few games after the injury so he essentially was playing with one hand) and he blew by Jennings effortlessly a couple of times. I know its a small sample size, but he is quicker than a lot of people give him credit for. Also, the play in the Olympics where he schools Kidd by going around his back is priceless.

I'm not saying that he is going to be a Hall of Famer or anything like that. I just don't think he should be written off as the definite #2 for us behind Griffin. The positives and negatives of Griffin's game are another story, but I think RIcky has a legit shot at being the best player in this draft 15 years from now.
pillwenney
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,504

Post#42 » by pillwenney » Sun Apr 5, 2009 9:00 pm

To be fair, Mike wasn't a great 3-point shooter when he first came into the league, but he was always outstanding from mid-range.

I think Rubio's athletic problems are overblown though, personally.
mrblunt
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,077

Post#43 » by mrblunt » Mon Apr 6, 2009 5:24 am

i would trade the pick unless you think rubios the real deal at pg i'd rather just suck again another year and go after john wall he looks like he could be a special player for sacramento. i'm not sold on anyone in this years draft as a potential superstar for the kings.
Kings of The Court
Dustin5566
Veteran
And1: 64

Post#44 » by Dustin5566 » Mon Apr 6, 2009 6:02 pm

Their will probably be a fair amount of trade options for whatever team lands the top pick. I am on record with saying if a team such as OKC offers Westbrook for Griffin then we should take it. Their is a lot of incentive for OKC to do that given that Griffin is from OKC and they have no low post threat to go with their shooters.
dozencousins
Analyst
And1: 135

Post#45 » by dozencousins » Mon Apr 6, 2009 6:35 pm

DUSTIN

The only scenerio i see the Kings trading Blake if we land him to OKLAHOMA is if we get Westbrook & OKL #1 PICK for Blake & a salary dump like k9 though because k9 is an expiring we wont be so eager to dump him now his contract has some value in terms of trade !
cdt3
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#46 » by cdt3 » Wed Apr 8, 2009 6:22 am

JT has averaged 18/12/1.5 blocks in the games in April (after a better 13/10 March) and is finishing the season strong. How do you give up on a proven elite PF prospect who you have for so cheap? How far has the guy come his rookie season? If Kenny Natt had a clue about how to use a big guy instead of constantly going small JT would have put up a 20/10 for the season. Hawes in April is putting up 14/8 even with one game where he hurt his eye and left early. How do you give up on these guys? I don't see Petrie trading JT. Maybe if we get the #1 we take Griffin and move JT to the 3 like Kevin Garnett and then going after a Collison or Maynor. I could see that but there is no way we trade JT under any circumstance. JT has great footwork and would be solid at the 3 against the Hedo's, Durant's, and Odom's. This is all based on the 1 out of 4 chance we get the #1.
darkadun
Pro Prospect

Post#47 » by darkadun » Wed Apr 8, 2009 3:33 pm

Would anyone be opposed to trading the #1 if we could trade Beno with it? If we could drop down to 7-10 range with that pick, & then trade up from our Houston pick, we could have 2 picks in the 7-14 range. We could get two impact players there, & shed beno's contract.
Sometimes you just have to look yourself in the mirror and say....Tyreke Evans.
That just happened.
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,517

Post#48 » by RIPskaterdude » Wed Apr 8, 2009 5:33 pm

^^ No thanks. I would rather get a top 3 player than get rid of Beno. I don't know what it is about Beno, but he always plays better the 2nd half of the season...

Regardless, the Kings don't need two decent 10-15 type players...we need a "star", one that can only be picked in the top 3.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,448

Post#49 » by KF10 » Wed Apr 8, 2009 5:34 pm

I keep the #1 pick rather than trading it. You can't go wrong with Griffin.
darkadun
Pro Prospect

Post#50 » by darkadun » Thu Apr 9, 2009 3:15 pm

I see what you guys are saying, I do, and I like Griffin, no question.

But, I was just throwing it out there. Because with exceptions of course, you never know how well someone will do in the NBA. You can get a Sheldon Williams in the top 5, but end up getting Kobe with the 13th pick. (different drafts, but still).

My thought is that Petrie has drafted two great players "so far" with the 10th and 12th picks the last two years, that he could get two "potentially" great players with those kind of picks this year. Just an idea lol
That just happened.
mrblunt
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,077

Post#51 » by mrblunt » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:39 pm

we could probably get a blake griffin type player in next years draft i don't see why everyone is so sold on him. trade the pick if we get number 1.
Kings of The Court
VeeJay24
Starter
And1: 11

Post#52 » by VeeJay24 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:13 pm

The only team I would trade the #1 pick with is the Raptors for Bosh and hopefully Petrie can also pull off a swap of 1st rd picks and go after a PG or Harden. Otherwise, take Griffin a sure fire double-double man in the NBA.
Sportz Gza
RoyalCourtJestr
Analyst
And1: 1

Post#53 » by RoyalCourtJestr » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:22 pm

mrblunt wrote:we could probably get a blake griffin type player in next years draft i don't see why everyone is so sold on him. trade the pick if we get number 1.

Griffin isn't a sure fire All-Star, but he's not a daily-type talent. Saying we can find him in next years draft just doesn't make since. IMO, he has more promise then Beasley.

darkadun wrote:I see what you guys are saying, I do, and I like Griffin, no question.

But, I was just throwing it out there. Because with exceptions of course, you never know how well someone will do in the NBA. You can get a Sheldon Williams in the top 5, but end up getting Kobe with the 13th pick. (different drafts, but still).

My thought is that Petrie has drafted two great players "so far" with the 10th and 12th picks the last two years, that he could get two "potentially" great players with those kind of picks this year. Just an idea lol

1. Kobe would have been drafted way higher based on talent alone, but of course, it's Kobe. He didn't want to play just anywhere, and he wanted to play in LA. You won't find a Kobe Bryant talent at 13, even if your GM is a genius. (I know you were using the example as an extreme case though, so. :) )

2. The Shelden Williams example is also moot, mainly because A. It was Atlanta that took him, and drunken monkeys could have done better then Atlanta at the time, and B. Petrie is no drunken monkey. (Of course, everyone loved Shelden at the time, but.)
mprose wrote:And that leaves me with the conclusion that DMC is the Sarah Palin of the NBA.
OhioKingsFan
Pro Prospect
And1: 92

Post#54 » by OhioKingsFan » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:36 pm

I would consider trading Griffin to the Thunder if they got pick #2 (Rubio), and were willing to send Rubio and Jeff Green in exchange for Griffin and filler (Just about anyone other than Martin, Hawes, Thompson). I don't think they'd go for it, though.
darkadun
Pro Prospect

Post#55 » by darkadun » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:40 pm

haha, I know what your saying. I was just saying, that sometimes you have no idea what your getting in the draft.

Some players do live up the expectations that are heaped on them; others are decent players, but no what everyone thought of them; and others come out of nowhere and are much better than expected.
That just happened.
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,517

Post#56 » by RIPskaterdude » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:03 pm

OhioKingsFan wrote:I would consider trading Griffin to the Thunder if they got pick #2 (Rubio), and were willing to send Rubio and Jeff Green in exchange for Griffin and filler (Just about anyone other than Martin, Hawes, Thompson). I don't think they'd go for it, though.

I remember earlier in the year some people were saying #1 (Griffin) and Garcia for #2 (Rubio) and Green.
Nicky Nix Nook
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 153

Post#57 » by Nicky Nix Nook » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:40 pm

xx_skaterdude_xx wrote:
OhioKingsFan wrote:I would consider trading Griffin to the Thunder if they got pick #2 (Rubio), and were willing to send Rubio and Jeff Green in exchange for Griffin and filler (Just about anyone other than Martin, Hawes, Thompson). I don't think they'd go for it, though.

I remember earlier in the year some people were saying #1 (Griffin) and Garcia for #2 (Rubio) and Green.

we'd have a log jam at the SF/PF spot: Nocioni, Thompson, Green, Greene
RoyalCourtJestr
Analyst
And1: 1

Post#58 » by RoyalCourtJestr » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:39 am

Nicky Nix Nook wrote:
xx_skaterdude_xx wrote:

we'd have a log jam at the SF/PF spot: Nocioni, Thompson, Green, Greene

Nocioni isn't a long term future player, I'd be VERY happy with Thompson/Greene/Green battling for PF/SF minutes. If an offer like that was presented and Petrie had enough trust in Rubio, fine by me.

Although, honestly. I won't think about having a top two pick UNTIL it happens. Because if we get our hopes up AT ALL... and it doesn't happen... with how bad the last season has effected me, I'd be crushed. So, I'll expect the worst (4th overall) and take my chances.
mprose wrote:And that leaves me with the conclusion that DMC is the Sarah Palin of the NBA.

Return to Sacramento Kings