Kings v GSW...again

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

Wolfay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 649

Re: Kings v GSW...again 

Post#21 » by Wolfay » Tue Apr 7, 2009 8:02 am

I'm not going to go much more into this because it's obvious you have a crush on Martin. Martin's not my thing but whatever floats your boat bro.

Martin is averaging nearly 3 TO per game (2.86) and 3.60 per 48 mins. Not good. Most of his FT are from sympathetic refs, and it's not something he should rely on every single night and ESPECIALLY in clutch situations (where it has failed countless times), and his FG% is sadly mediocre at .420 (Antoine Walker territory). That's worse than Peja, so perhaps you're right, but I think not because...

...he's a ONE TRICK PONY. You time and time again fail to bring up anything else he does effectively other than score, which leads me to believe that you have nothing significant to contribute to the discussion, so I'm done with this. Good day.
pillwenney
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,504

Post#22 » by pillwenney » Tue Apr 7, 2009 8:47 am

Wolfay wrote:I'm not going to go much more into this because it's obvious you have a crush on Martin. Martin's not my thing but whatever floats your boat bro.

Martin is averaging nearly 3 TO per game (2.86) and 3.60 per 48 mins. Not good. Most of his FT are from sympathetic refs, and it's not something he should rely on every single night and ESPECIALLY in clutch situations (where it has failed countless times), and his FG% is sadly mediocre at .420 (Antoine Walker territory). That's worse than Peja, so perhaps you're right, but I think not because...

...he's a ONE TRICK PONY. You time and time again fail to bring up anything else he does effectively other than score, which leads me to believe that you have nothing significant to contribute to the discussion, so I'm done with this. Good day.

Well the thing is, doing that makes him an absurdly efficient perimeter scorer. That's not biased, that's statistics. I'm not arguing that he shouldn't do it at the end of games--we all know that has been a pain (although he has been doing it less lately, I've noticed). But to ignore that part of his game is flat out absurd. Looking at pure FG% for scoring efficiency is outdated. I've made this argument before.

If scoring is his one trick, it's a pretty amazing one. Right now, Kevin is 12th in true shooting percentage, and that's playing in a system that we all agree doesn't cater to him (since we mostly agree that he isn't at his best with the ball in his hands in isolation, but rather off the ball). The only other major perimeter scorer (i.e. more than 20PPG) who is ahead of him? Chris Paul--and by .01%. Make no mistake about it--what Kevin does scoring the ball is flat out special. That doesn't mean I'm saying that he's a number 1 option. I, and most others here who defend him, have repeatedly said he's not. But to just look at FG% is to ignore real, much more revealing stats.

And scoring is the only thing that he's really great at, but it's not like he's bad at anything else. But most importantly, to compare him to Peja is to grossly misinterperet their efficiencies. Kevin is miles ahead here.
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#23 » by old rem » Wed Apr 8, 2009 7:43 am

killacalijatt wrote:MCcants is the biggest ball hog/chucker in the NBA, I still remember when Mccants was in minny he kept chucking it in the 10 minutes he was in and finally when he passed it the crowd started cheering that had me going for days

And the funny thing is....it's still his offense that got him to the NBA. Even at UNC he avoided defense like a rich lady avoids a mop.
CENSORED... No comment.
artest420
Junior
And1: 1

Post#24 » by artest420 » Wed Apr 8, 2009 7:59 pm

martin is a 2 trick pony. first he tries to get fouled. that keeps his turnovers down and fg% up. second he tries to score.

besides that bad defender, bad passer, bad dribbler. that was more obvious when artest left and martin had to do it on his own.

mccants is a "me" type player. i think he could be really good with a coach that can control his shot selection, or a pg that wont let him touch it unless hes set up to shoot. his celing is cuttino mobly type i think.

Return to Sacramento Kings