ImageImageImageImageImage

Petrie out scouting Rubio in the next couple days.....

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

pj_tor
Sophomore
And1: 0

Re: Petrie out scouting Rubio in the next couple days..... 

Post#41 » by pj_tor » Sat May 16, 2009 2:05 pm

murray wrote:
Smills91 wrote:I'm getting scared....Draino and I are agreeing on nearly EVERYTHING.... :o

He is arguing with a guy that is claiming that Griffin is possibly 6'6" when all evidence (and logic) suggests other wise. Its not hard to agree with the guy that is actually telling the truth.

The point is that Rubio, even according to fellow Spanard Fernandez, is not ready quite yet to be a good NBA player. He will be great!!! But if Kings fans really expect him to step in day 1 and be pistol pete, they will be disappointed and give up on this kid. All I am saying is for these fans to try and keep an open mind to the idea that Rubio is a long term investment and not an instant bang.

Yep, that's true. But I think the investment will pay earlier than you think. He has to adapt his game to the NBA, but he is no ordinary 18 year old kid, remenber he turned pro at 14 and started facing the strongest competition outside of the NBA , in the ACB and Euroleague (hell I think he was the steals leader in Euroleague at 16 years of age... :o )
brassviews
Sixth Man
And1: 132

Post#42 » by brassviews » Sat May 16, 2009 2:33 pm

Rubio and Joventut are playing today if anyone is curious.

9:15am pacific - game starts

http://www.atdhe.net/7108/watch-real-ma ... v-joventut
Draino
Assistant Coach
And1: 14

Post#43 » by Draino » Sat May 16, 2009 5:57 pm

I'm getting scared....Draino and I are agreeing on nearly EVERYTHING.... :o[/quote]

hey man i know... could this mean something?? could this mean the kings will make the playoffs or even more?? SIKE! hahahha, but if we do get griffin, there is a chance...
Draino
Assistant Coach

Post#44 » by Draino » Sat May 16, 2009 6:00 pm

murray wrote:
Smills91 wrote:I'm getting scared....Draino and I are agreeing on nearly EVERYTHING.... :o

He is arguing with a guy that is claiming that Griffin is possibly 6'6" when all evidence (and logic) suggests other wise. Its not hard to agree with the guy that is actually telling the truth.

The point is that Rubio, even according to fellow Spanard Fernandez, is not ready quite yet to be a good NBA player. He will be great!!! But if Kings fans really expect him to step in day 1 and be pistol pete, they will be disappointed and give up on this kid. All I am saying is for these fans to try and keep an open mind to the idea that Rubio is a long term investment and not an instant bang.

stop hatin'

anyways i see Rubio as an ALEX SMITH to the 49ers type of deal. WE DO NEED A PG, and he is NOT ready to start right away, and we WOULD RUSH HIM, and he WOULD FAIL... so it WOULD NOT work out. Niners needed a QB, rushed Smith, and it didn't work out, (yet)... although he still has potential to shine. Might be a little off topic but its as close I can get to a good comparision...., point is... Griffin is better and more ready to step in right away, you can't ALWAYS rebuild, you gotta get that franchise guy that will step in and put the foot down the first day, which is BLAKE GRIFFIN... let's just pray we get the 1st pick on tuesday
Draino
Assistant Coach

Post#45 » by Draino » Sat May 16, 2009 6:03 pm

pj_tor wrote:
murray wrote:
Whatever guy. Keep your delusions. When was the last time a foreign player came in and dominated his first year? Or even lived up to the hype of being a top pick in there first couple seasons? Gallinari? Jianlian? Bargnani? Bogut? Darko? Yao? Young foreign players take time to adapt to the NBA game. Just accept it and stop being so thick headed.

Rubio is far more proven and talented than any of those players, but anyway, that's not the point. I'm not saying he will be a stud from day one, in fact I didn't even give an opinion on him. I'm just being critic with your opininon based on two flagrant signs of ignorance:
:

What makes you say that? when ALL of them came out everyone was saying the SAME thing they are about Rubio, only difference is all of them are big men, and Rubio is a PG... that is it, and true PG is the hardest position to play in the L...
pj_tor
Sophomore

Post#46 » by pj_tor » Sat May 16, 2009 6:45 pm

Draino wrote:
pj_tor wrote:
murray wrote:
Whatever guy. Keep your delusions. When was the last time a foreign player came in and dominated his first year? Or even lived up to the hype of being a top pick in there first couple seasons? Gallinari? Jianlian? Bargnani? Bogut? Darko? Yao? Young foreign players take time to adapt to the NBA game. Just accept it and stop being so thick headed.

Rubio is far more proven and talented than any of those players, but anyway, that's not the point. I'm not saying he will be a stud from day one, in fact I didn't even give an opinion on him. I'm just being critic with your opininon based on two flagrant signs of ignorance:
:

What makes you say that? when ALL of them came out everyone was saying the SAME thing they are about Rubio, only difference is all of them are big men, and Rubio is a PG... that is it, and true PG is the hardest position to play in the L...

I don't agree with that statement, I think they had half the hype (save perhaps Yao...) and for a good reason.

Gallinari= proven in a good league and did well
Yi= chinese league??
Bargnani= similar case to Galinari but older and not so hyped I'd say
Bogut= weaker league
Darko= bottom line league and little hype
Yao= chinese league but high expectations

The talent thing is my opinion (but you can see just by surfing the forums and scouting reports it's probably widely shared), but you can't seriously deny Rubio has proven himself in much more important games and facing stronger oppositions than the others and being much younger (started at 14 years old).

ANyway I'm with you, it will be hard for him, no doubt about it.

BTW he has injured himself in the game against Madrid. Only played 10 minutes for 2 pt 1 reb 2 ast (could have gotten like 5 but teammates missed easy layups). His status for the next macht is uncertain.

check this video of the injury http://acbtv.acb.com/video/1832
Draino
Assistant Coach

Post#47 » by Draino » Sat May 16, 2009 6:54 pm

murray wrote:
I don't agree with that statement, I think they had half the hype (save perhaps Yao...) and for a good reason.

Gallinari= proven in a good league and did well
Yi= chinese league??
Bargnani= similar case to Galinari but older and not so hyped I'd say
Bogut= weaker league - CAME OUT OF COLLEGE
Darko= bottom line league and little hype
Yao= chinese league but high expectations - most hyped international EVER

The talent thing is my opinion (but you can see just by surfing the forums and scouting reports it's probably widely shared), but you can't seriously deny Rubio has proven himself in much more important games and facing stronger oppositions than the others and being much younger (started at 14 years old).

ANyway I'm with you, it will be hard for him, no doubt about it.

BTW he has injured himself in the game against Madrid. Only played 10 minutes for 2 pt 1 reb 2 ast (could have gotten like 5 but teammates missed easy layups). His status for the next macht is uncertain.

check this video of the injury http://acbtv.acb.com/video/1832
[/quote][/quote]

are you kidding me?? little hype? is that why he was chosen over Melo, Wade, Bosh, etc.?? And borderline league? Have you EVER seen the Serbian league?? It is not AS RICH as Spain and Italy, but it is just as good as those two countries, there is just more money in there so thats why they get the spotlight... but don't get it twisted, Serbian league is 3rd-4th strongest in Europe.
Draino
Assistant Coach

Post#48 » by Draino » Sat May 16, 2009 6:58 pm

and that video, don't even show me that HE GOT CROSSED INSIDE AND OUT AND FELL DOWN, thats how he got injured... nothing else happened, he went for a steal and got crossed BAD!

Be honest with me, if you were a GM... you would really, like REALLY, choose Rubio over Griffin?? if you say yes, you have no basketball knowledge whatsoever and you have no business on this board... that is all
KingInExile
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4

Post#49 » by KingInExile » Sat May 16, 2009 7:29 pm

Draino wrote:and that video, don't even show me that HE GOT CROSSED INSIDE AND OUT AND FELL DOWN, thats how he got injured... nothing else happened, he went for a steal and got crossed BAD!

Be honest with me, if you were a GM... you would really, like REALLY, choose Rubio over Griffin?? if you say yes, you have no basketball knowledge whatsoever and you have no business on this board... that is all

And what makes you think comments like this are anywhere near acceptable? :nonono:

For the record, I personally would rather have Rubio over Griffin...so go ahead and tell ME that I have no business on this board.
This space needs to be filled with a new sig...but I'm too lazy to make one.
pj_tor
Sophomore

Post#50 » by pj_tor » Sat May 16, 2009 7:41 pm

Draino wrote:and that video, don't even show me that HE GOT CROSSED INSIDE AND OUT AND FELL DOWN, thats how he got injured... nothing else happened, he went for a steal and got crossed BAD!

I don't understand your reaction, I was just giving a link to the video so you could see how he got injured... Relax man

What in my words makes you believe I would take Rubio over Griffin? I wouldn't ! I just started posting here because murray said he was not even at Udrih's level and that he had averaged 2/2/2 in his league. I think Griffin will have solid numbers from day 1, but in the long run Ricky could have some sort of Nash like impact, if you know what I mean. Probably more helpful to a ring contender than Griffin's 20 and 10. But I wouldn't take the risk of drafting RIcky over Blake.

Darko had some hype, but proven player? NBA>>>>>>>>>>Euroleague>>>>ACB>>>NCAA>>Serbian League and whatever the expectations Dumars (and only Dumars) had on Darko he had nowhere near half the hype, aknowledgments, experience, milestones, individual stats leads, collective trophies, media coverage, fan attention, should I go on? than Darko ever had. Not even a fraction I would say. Dumars saw the next big thing in the paint but should have put on glasses don't you think? Probably one of the worst draft day decisions ever (Bowie and Kwame come to mind). I understand your concerns about Ricky...
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,448

Post#51 » by KF10 » Sat May 16, 2009 8:22 pm

PopularByDemand wrote:Rubio and Joventut are playing today if anyone is curious.

9:15am pacific - game starts

http://www.atdhe.net/7108/watch-real-ma ... v-joventut

Yeah, thanks. I just saw the 5 minute mark in the 3rd quarter and some of the early parts of the 4th quarter though. I wondered where where was Rubio but they showed the replay that the another player accidentally hit him around the groin area with his body in the first quarter or so and Rubio was down for the whole game. Well, I think that is what happened.
Nicky Nix Nook
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 153

Post#52 » by Nicky Nix Nook » Sat May 16, 2009 8:33 pm

Um he was not "crossed up." He obviously planted and injured himself. The guy barely even made a move. that is not what getting crossed up looks like.

This is what it looks like to get crossed up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwkZAnl8BCA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhibi0aS ... L&index=10
darkadun
Pro Prospect

Post#53 » by darkadun » Sat May 16, 2009 11:02 pm

Honestly, I think we'd be lucky to land Rubio or Griffin. Which one? I don't care. All I know is we should be happy as hell to get one of these guys, which might not happen.
Sometimes you just have to look yourself in the mirror and say....Tyreke Evans.
That just happened.
BMiller52
RealGM

Post#54 » by BMiller52 » Sat May 16, 2009 11:58 pm

KingInExile wrote:

And what makes you think comments like this are anywhere near acceptable? :nonono:

For the record, I personally would rather have Rubio over Griffin...so go ahead and tell ME that I have no business on this board.

Yeah, I'm not sure who I'd take but I'd atleast consider Rubio. You guys haven't even seen the workouts or measurements yet and you're already deciding on a guy. Sorry but that is premature.

And for the record, plenty of people have said Blake might not be the 6'10'' he was listed at. That's why some people optomisticly put him at 6'9'' who have seen him in real life. Because they don't think he's 6'10''.
ICMTM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 176

Post#55 » by ICMTM » Sun May 17, 2009 12:41 am

As long as he has the wing span 7' or greater who cares?
KANGZZZZZ!
Smills91
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#56 » by Smills91 » Sun May 17, 2009 1:29 am

KingInExile wrote:

You have no business on this board, but for ENTIRELY different reasons! ;-)
Smills91
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#57 » by Smills91 » Sun May 17, 2009 1:31 am

ICMTM wrote:As long as he has the wing span 7' or greater who cares?

+1. He's got the athleticism, talent and drive to be great. The rest are nit-picky details that if you scrutinize too long will make another franchise very, very happy.
tisbee
Starter

Post#58 » by tisbee » Sun May 17, 2009 4:14 am

Conventional wisdom given a choice is go for the big man.
But you have to look at what's happening in the game today.
KG goes down and Boston behind Rondo keeps going.
Elton Brand goes down and Andre Miller leads the team into Playoffs.
Denver adds Billups and is in the WCF.
Chris Paul and Deron Williams lead injury riddled teams into Playoffs.
Houston loses Yao and Brooks leads them to 2 wins over Lakers in Playoffs.

If you end up w/the #1 pick,a tough decision,esp when you have a potentially very good PF.
pillwenney
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,504

Post#59 » by pillwenney » Sun May 17, 2009 6:51 am

tisbee wrote:Conventional wisdom given a choice is go for the big man.
But you have to look at what's happening in the game today.
KG goes down and Boston behind Rondo keeps going.
Elton Brand goes down and Andre Miller leads the team into Playoffs.
Denver adds Billups and is in the WCF.
Chris Paul and Deron Williams lead injury riddled teams into Playoffs.
Houston loses Yao and Brooks leads them to 2 wins over Lakers in Playoffs.

If you end up w/the #1 pick,a tough decision,esp when you have a potentially very good PF.

Guard-centered teams work for a little while, but at the end of the day, it's almost always the big man-centered teams that succeed in the end (barring extreme circumstances). If Boston goes on to beat Orlando and then even give Cleveland a real challenge, I'll be shocked. That doesn't necessarily mean that your best player has to be a big man, but the notion that many have that the league is moving to more guard oriented play is largely overblown IMO. It's the kind of thing that can mislead people because it often can lead to regular season success. When you get deep into the playoffs, it's a different animal entirely though.
darkadun
Pro Prospect

Post#60 » by darkadun » Sun May 17, 2009 3:38 pm

Tisbee, I agree. However, you can find a point guard like that much easier than finding a big. Rondo and Parker both came in late first round. Cavs made a trade and got Mo Williams to help LeBron. Same with Denver in adding Billups.

If we do end up being able to get Griffin, we do it. We can always add the PG we need later on once we get better. We could end up getting that PG with our 23rd pick anyways. Who knows.
Sometimes you just have to look yourself in the mirror and say....Tyreke Evans.
That just happened.

Return to Sacramento Kings