Who's going to be rock solid role players out of this draft?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Re: Who's going to be rock solid role players out of this draft? 

Post#21 » by BigSlam » Mon May 11, 2009 5:03 pm

Jarvis Varnado and Eric Maynor IMO.
B B M F 'ers
qman
Pro Prospect
And1: 10

Post#22 » by qman » Wed May 13, 2009 9:12 pm

Downtown wrote:A question to you guys. I've been thinking about the need for role players on the Grizzlies and who would be a good fit with their pick they have from the Magic, plus their own second round pick.

Which two players from this group would be good picks for the Grizzlies?

Danny Green. Jarvis Varnado. Gani Lawal. Marcus Thornton. Omri Casspi.

And which pointguard that you think could be left when they pick would make a good backup to Mike Conley?

I must put out a disclaimer though that I think veteran role players would be more important to have but I'm just curious to see which players might be targets at the lower end of the first round and top of the second.

I like Green in the 2nd round- good defender and good spot shooter.

Varnado if can put on any weight would be a good energy/defense guy a la Birdman.

As for a point guard assuming Rubio, Lawson, Jennings and Curry are gone I like Holiday actually.
Build a man a fire keep him warm for a day. Light a man on fire keep him warm for the rest of his life.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,448

Post#23 » by vincecarter4pres » Fri May 15, 2009 5:35 am

I thought Varnado has now decided to go back to school?
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,191

Post#24 » by moocow007 » Fri May 15, 2009 8:42 pm

Sam Young definitely pops to mind. Terrence Williams, Jeff Adrien and Dante Cunningham are others that I think will fit in well as role players for many years down the road. Basically strong, athletic guys that can play multiple positions and that are none for being aggressive and/or defensively intense/capable.
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,066

Post#25 » by mg » Sat May 16, 2009 3:44 pm

Marcus Thornton is the type of player that could come in and contribute immediately for any team.
timani
Senior
And1: 67

Post#26 » by timani » Sat May 16, 2009 6:03 pm

I'll go a little deeper and say Aaron Jackson, the PG from Dusquene. He really came on this season and has a lot of things going for him, like his size (6'4") and quickness. It may take a couple of years, but I think he will be a good defender off the bench that can score a little.

I would love for the Mavs to get him in the second round and let him develop alongside Barea, with a resigned Kidd as his mentor.
bballboy44
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#27 » by bballboy44 » Sun May 17, 2009 4:21 pm

Sid the Squid wrote:I'd rate em...

1. Thabeet (clog the middle like nobody's business)

2. Jordan Hill (solid rebounding PF)

3. Budinger (will make shots and pass the ball..Solid NBA role player)

4. Lawson (tough minded backup PG)

5. Gerald Henderson (he will find his role on the wing)

I think Thabeet will be more than a role-player. Maybe not a complete stud, but he is such a dominant defensive player and shot blocker, and he will always have that, and his offense just started to come around a little bit. It seems like a ton of people are starting to call him overrated and I have even seen some comparisons drop from Mutombo to Dalembert! I am not sure he will be as good as Mutombo, but he definitely has the potential.

For role-players, I say that Sam Young, Ty Lawson, James Johnson, and Wayne Ellington will all be solid role-players, not much more. I agree with the poster who said that Young can be very similar to James Posey. And while this may be somewhat off-topic, I just want to say that I think Gerald Henderson can be either a star in the NBA, but if not that, then definitely a solid role-player. I see him as a Grant Hill player, and you can tell he is a gym rat and really wants to succeed.

Return to NBA Draft