Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,649

Re: Trae Young 

Post#501 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:19 am

MalonesElbows wrote:Young is now around 5 turnovers a game. His play style is fun, but an unrealistic fit in the NBA.

Hes averaging 7.5 TOs a game in conference play so far. Also 40/38/77 shooting numbers to go with the TOs so far in conference play. Hes turning it over a lot and has become pretty inefficient from the floor. Not sure how much of his game is going to translate to the NBA especially once he no longer has the USG to work with like he has had so far in college.
SlowPaced
RealGM
And1: 17,487

Post#502 » by SlowPaced » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:24 am

Another way of looking at it is that Trae won't be depended on doing everything in the NBA, which would mean less turnovers and less bad shots. He's everything for Oklahoma this season and he managed to take a 11-20 team to 14-3 so far.
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#503 » by nolang1 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:18 am

SlowPaced wrote:Another way of looking at it is that Trae won't be depended on doing everything in the NBA, which would mean less turnovers and less bad shots. He's everything for Oklahoma this season and he managed to take a 11-20 team to 14-3 so far.

Last year Oklahoma played the 2nd-toughest schedule in the country, lost 8 games by 5 points or fewer, and brought everyone back except the point guard that Young replaced (and added another freshman who's started every game). Not as massive a turnaround as simply comparing the records makes it seem.

Young is good enough that you can evaluate him on his own merits without having to pretend he joined this downtrodden team. Their next five highest guys in three-point attempts after Young were shooting 44, 43, 38, 41, and 40 percent going into tonight; that's good no matter who's setting you up. OU was 39th in the country in adjusted defensive efficiency last season, and given the number of minutes returning they've got some competent defenders surrounding Young.
XTraderXL
Sixth Man
And1: 1,342

Post#504 » by XTraderXL » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:44 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
MalonesElbows wrote:Young is now around 5 turnovers a game. His play style is fun, but an unrealistic fit in the NBA.

Hes averaging 7.5 TOs a game in conference play so far. Also 40/38/77 shooting numbers to go with the TOs so far in conference play. Hes turning it over a lot and has become pretty inefficient from the floor. Not sure how much of his game is going to translate to the NBA especially once he no longer has the USG to work with like he has had so far in college.

And 2 weeks ago some people were claiming his ceiling ceiling is at least Curry....
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#505 » by Mulhollanddrive » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:48 am

If he falls away from here what's the lowest he could go?

Malik Monk was averaging 22 points on 60/40/85 at a similar stage.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

Post#506 » by doordoor123 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:02 am

You guys are getting a little crazy over a couple teams using everyone on their team to defend him. Not even NBA defenses are this coordinated. If you actually watched the games, there is a lot to like. I think the only thing these games do is expose that he’s still only 19. He doesn’t know how to handle teams targeting him. In the NBA this usually happens with good rookies mid way through the first season with players or their second season. When it happens a lot of players can’t handle it because they’ve never had anyone pick apart their game. This is an opportunity for Young to expand his game and take more efficient shots. He at least tried to play off ball this last game, but he was rushing all of his decisions. Also notice how they never run pick and rolls. And when they did set a pick, the defenders easily ran around the soft picks. In the NBA with a better pick and a better roll man he would be harder to guard.
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#507 » by nolang1 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:35 am

Mulhollanddrive wrote:If he falls away from here what's the lowest he could go?

Malik Monk was averaging 22 points on 60/40/85 at a similar stage.

Eh, Young is a much better dribbler and passer, and I'm sure I had Monk in the 6-8 range before the draft. Maybe Sexton could be chosen ahead of him if he destroys Young one-on-one on Saturday next week and Young averages like 8 turnovers a game the rest of the season. There just aren't that many point guards in this draft, and no matter how bad he looks the rest of the way at some point it'd be better to gamble on the upside of him regaining the magic from the first half of the season than to hope some late lottery big realizes his upside of becoming a solid starting NBA big man.
SlowPaced
RealGM
And1: 17,487

Post#508 » by SlowPaced » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:29 am

nolang1 wrote:
SlowPaced wrote:Another way of looking at it is that Trae won't be depended on doing everything in the NBA, which would mean less turnovers and less bad shots. He's everything for Oklahoma this season and he managed to take a 11-20 team to 14-3 so far.

Last year Oklahoma played the 2nd-toughest schedule in the country, lost 8 games by 5 points or fewer, and brought everyone back except the point guard that Young replaced (and added another freshman who's started every game). Not as massive a turnaround as simply comparing the records makes it seem.

Young is good enough that you can evaluate him on his own merits without having to pretend he joined this downtrodden team. Their next five highest guys in three-point attempts after Young were shooting 44, 43, 38, 41, and 40 percent going into tonight; that's good no matter who's setting you up. OU was 39th in the country in adjusted defensive efficiency last season, and given the number of minutes returning they've got some competent defenders surrounding Young.

Who cares if it's not "as massive" of a turnaround? It's a sizable turnaround nonetheless. They went from a clear losing team to a clear winning team, ranked #4 in the nation. The jump in three point shooting of the supporting cast has a lot to do with the attention Trae draws.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#509 » by No-Man » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:35 am

Duke4life831 wrote:has become pretty inefficient from the floor.

Man, no, stop using normal regular numbers, he has had 2 below avg games in conference play in terms of efficiency, other than that he is been from good to excellent there

As for his game going with lower usage, that's only gonna help him.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#510 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:56 am

Fischella wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:has become pretty inefficient from the floor.

Man, no, stop using normal regular numbers, he has had 2 below avg games in conference play in terms of efficiency, other than that he is been from good to excellent there

As for his game going with lower usage, that's only gonna help him.

40/37/77 is being inefficient from the floor. Here are his FG% from every game in conference so far 39, 41, 36, 30, 55, 38. That means there are a ton of empty wasted possessions because of his bad shooting (not even including his high TOs). The only reason his TS% is average (56%) is because of his high FTR and we are seeing a down trend in that category for him which is leading to a sharp decline in his TS%. Its great that he gets to the line a lot, but that doesnt just mean we just forget all the wasted possessions that he creates as well.
dred926
Senior
And1: 449

Post#511 » by dred926 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:10 pm

aint worried about trae young at all. there is no one else in that team that can create their own shot.

trae young wont get hacked like that in the nba which results to turnovers that is the difference in college specially if the enemy has the home court.

Right now this team goes far depending on the adjustments they make to free trae young and give him space to operate.
Shady Franchise
Veteran
And1: 584

Post#512 » by Shady Franchise » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:23 pm

916fan wrote:
Shady Franchise wrote:
916fan wrote:They'd consider him, but I don't think they'd take him. Depends on how high they have Ayton and Doncic. I think they desperately need a PG, but I don't have Young higher than those guys.

Orlando has had extremely questionable decision making. None of the moves they make make much sense to me. I don't understand why they drafted Isaac when they already have Gordon patrolling the 4 on defense? Maybe they can play together at SF-PF, but I think both are best suited at PF long-term. The 2017 draft would've been a perfect opportunity for them to draft a PG. It was a major position of need, and they could've made a legitimate run at the playoffs this year.
Orlando needs to figure out their stuff. Are they still trying to rebuild? Or are they trying to be contenders? They're confused.

I think they've "figured out their stuff", and that "stuff" is a top 2 pick. Nothing wrong with the Isaac pick, especially since he can play some center once he gains some weight. With the NBA going away from the traditional center, he can play bits there, and the rest at SF. To say you don't understand the pick is fine, as he's still developing and none of us know what his ultimate role will be. Tatum was their guy and he got drafted. Had they gone with DSJ, they may be fighting for a playoff spot right now, but also into treadmill territory. DSJ has had a pretty bad season, minus some eye opening stat lines. Us Magic fans are actually pretty excited to see what we have in Isaac and Iwundu, from their limited playing time this season. Things are starting to fall into place for a proper tank and hopefully they draft their next star. They just need to ship out Fournier, Mario, Vuc, and or Payton to get pieces that compliment their tank/future. They need to take their time, and not rush to try to make the playoffs anymore. Remember this is a new management, so they can't really be held accountable for the past several head scratching years.

I got a lot of **** for questioning their offseason, but I was right. Orlando didn't want to go full-on rebuild, but at the same time, they didn't want to fully commit to contending. Now, things are breaking down, and a rebuild is looking like a real possibility. I still think Orlando was 1 PG away from being a 5th, maybe 4th seed in the East.

Time to see Orlando ship off Payton, Vucevic, and maybe Fournier. I don't think Vuc has high value right now, especially after his surgery. You guys traded him 2 years too late if you wanted maximum value. Payton is still a non-shooting PG looking to get paid.. not many teams will buy high on him. Fournier could easily fetch back a mid-round pick. Question is, would Orlando rather keep 25yearold Fournier or a mid first rounder? What about Biyombo's contract? Orlando are big sellers, but I don't know if they'll be content with the market.

If Orlando wants to go full-on rebuild, they're better off picking BPA.

I agree with you on Vuc, but that's all hindsight. If we had that point guard you mention to be in the upper seeds for the playoffs, we would have needed Vuc. Had we traded him, but had that PG you mention, we'd be sitting here wishing we had that center haha. It doesn't do any good to dwell on the past. I agree with your comments, but none of it means crap now. I'm just glad they're doing a proper tank, and this is the draft to do it.
Do not max Vuc!
Shady Franchise
Veteran

Post#513 » by Shady Franchise » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:26 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:

Could his shoulders be wearing down? If that's conditioning, can't that be worked on in the NBA? I don't know much about Young outside what I read on the Magic board, but it seems as though he has a way larger role now, than he would in the NBA.
Do not max Vuc!
Shady Franchise
Veteran

Post#514 » by Shady Franchise » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:34 pm

nolang1 wrote:

That description of his team does sound similar to Orlando's squad. Fournier, Gordon, Ross, and Vuc(occasionally) can all hit the 3 at a good %. Defense would be a little more suspect, though Orlando has the players to make it work (Isaac, Biz, Gordon, Ross, etc). The P&R would work with Gordon, Isaac, and Vuc as all 3 have range. I'm skeptical of Young because of how fast he's shot up the ranks, but I was all for Tatum last year for Orlando's 1st pick for similar reasons, and I actually preferred him over JJax, Fox, Ball, Fultz, etc. I'll be watching him closely from here on out, to say the least.
Do not max Vuc!
Shady Franchise
Veteran

Post#515 » by Shady Franchise » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:36 pm

My bad, meant to And1 you, not counter it. :-?
Do not max Vuc!
ItsThatEasy
Analyst
And1: 5,031

Post#516 » by ItsThatEasy » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:23 pm

I'm not a huge Trae Young fan but you can't tear down a guys entire resume because of a few games. He's not a demi-God, he's a 19 year old experiencing the struggles that come along with conference play.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

Post#517 » by doordoor123 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:53 pm

ItsThatEasy wrote:I'm not a huge Trae Young fan but you can't tear down a guys entire resume because of a few games. He's not a demi-God, he's a 19 year old experiencing the struggles that come along with conference play.

It’s that easy
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#518 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:09 pm

ItsThatEasy wrote:I'm not a huge Trae Young fan but you can't tear down a guys entire resume because of a few games. He's not a demi-God, he's a 19 year old experiencing the struggles that come along with conference play.

I'm not tearing Young down over a few games. Since I've been on this board I've always said I care very little on how players perform in out of conference play to start the year and I try not to make any judgement based off of it.

Before Young was struggling in conference play I said I was going to hold off jumping on his hype train till I see what he does against conference level opponents every game.

So I'm not tearing him down over a few games, I just take conference games much more seriously than out of conference play and a lot of the worries I had with Young before the season are still making worries I see so far in conference play.
dred926
Senior
And1: 449

Post#519 » by dred926 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:25 pm

you have to understand that he is a freshman if you think its easy even upperclassman is fighting tooth and nail . the talent they is not good enough at all compared to other conference teams. Trae young is the difference maker for their team even Bagley is getting support from others remember that duke game against MSU bagley didnt play and yet they won . . remove trae young to this team i doubt they beat that oregon team in pk10.

You seriously hate the comparison being made to young because of how good steph curry is now but you forget to realize that curry's competition in college is not even close. sure curry beat some good teams during their march madness run but he wasnt shooting lights out the entire run. Trae young is doing this as a freshman come on
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#520 » by HEZI » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:57 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:

I'm not tearing Young down over a few games. Since I've been on this board I've always said I care very little on how players perform in out of conference play to start the year and I try not to make any judgement based off of it.

Before Young was struggling in conference play I said I was going to hold off jumping on his hype train till I see what he does against conference level opponents every game.

So I'm not tearing him down over a few games, I just take conference games much more seriously than out of conference play and a lot of the worries I had with Young before the season are still making worries I see so far in conference play.

Last night was the only game you can really say he struggled to get anything going throughout the whole game. All the other games he's had 1st half struggles and then bounced back in the 2nd half.

He's broken TCU's heart twice already and dropped 39/14 on them the first meeting and 43/7/11 the second meeting (which also included a bunch of blown layups and dunks by his teammates). He destroyed Oklahoma State with a cool 27/10/9. He handed Texas Tech their only L in conference play and dropped another cool 27/10. He went into WVU Coliseum (one of the toughest places to earn a victory in) and put arguably the best defensive PG in the country in foul trouble and had him riding the bench for almost the entire 2nd half. If it wasn't for Teddy Allen going off for WVU, Oklahoma could have stolen a W there with Trae Young going off in the 2nd half and dropping 29 points after he struggled to only score about 5 points in the 1st half. I mean even Kansas was getting shut down in the 1st half against WVU the other day and had to rely on a miraculous come from behind victory just to sneak away with a W. Last night was just a bad night for the entire Oklahoma team, they struggled to shoot the ball and couldn't open up the floor, they also struggled to get key defensive stops and couldn't get out in transition. Bad game nonetheless, no excuses. Overall, I can't say he's struggled in conference play considering everything he's done so far up to this point. At the very least he's been nothing short of very solid, which is impressive for a 19 year old freshman who's team relies on for 60% of everything they do offensively.
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards

Return to NBA Draft