burek3
Pro Prospect
And1: 538

Re: Luka Doncic Part III 

Post#1201 » by burek3 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:33 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
burek3 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
:lol: serioysly, Burek made it sound like that league is something unearthly great.

Nice try, mister Strawman.

How many other 19 year olds are """"starters"""" in the Euroleague?

This topic truly is getting more bizarre with each page...

Very few, but how does it prove your point, you made it sound like Euroleague is some Nobel peace prize hall of fame.

How do I make it sound like that, wtf? You under influence of some substances?

The answer is zero, by the way.
"Holy f**k" :o
- DeAndre Jordan
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,785

Post#1202 » by UcanUwill » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:39 pm

burek3 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
burek3 wrote:
Nice try, mister Strawman.

How many other 19 year olds are """"starters"""" in the Euroleague?

This topic truly is getting more bizarre with each page...

Very few, but how does it prove your point, you made it sound like Euroleague is some Nobel peace prize hall of fame.

You basically said its impossible to make Euroleague roster without hard work and winning mentality. How is that, you think there arent players who just riding on their talent at that level? A lot of players are under or over weight all the time, or stagnate for years, especially in European levels. And winning mentality arguments are always the worst, its intangible that we cant measure, and most of the time, ''winning mentality'' argument is just a reach when you out of arguments. Sorry, but thats my opinion.
burek3
Pro Prospect
And1: 538

Post#1203 » by burek3 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:59 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
burek3 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

You basically said its impossible to make Euroleague roster without hard work and winning mentality. How is that, you think there arent players who just riding on their talent at that level? A lot of players are under or over weight all the time, or stagnate for years, especially in European levels. And winning mentality arguments are always the worst, its intangible that we cant measure, and most of the time, ''winning mentality'' argument is just a reach when you out of arguments. Sorry, but thats my opinion.

Wait a minute... Are we on a draft board or did I miss the door somewhere along the way? How on earth did anyone even remotely come across the idea I was talking about all players in overall? I saw Anthony Randolph mentioned... What the actual f-?

I mean, after the whole season watching Luka's games, you don't see the winning/competitive mentality in him? You think he would make Real's roster with him jerking off on the couch all day every day?

Or are you trying to say that at 19years old, pure talent is all what it takes to lead the league in measurables?

Anyways, fine, have your opinion.

''winning mentality'' argument is just a reach when you out of arguments

The draft is around the corner, there isn't much else to say that hasn't been said before. You act like you haven't been reading and posting on this board for the last 3 years (yes, I lurked here before 2017).
"Holy f**k" :o
- DeAndre Jordan
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#1204 » by UcanUwill » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:03 pm

burek3 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
burek3 wrote:

Wait a minute... Are we on a draft board or did I miss the door somewhere along the way? How on earth did anyone even remotely come across the idea I was talking about all players in overall? I saw Anthony Randolph mentioned... What the actual f-?

I mean, after the whole season watching Luka's games, you don't see the winning/competitive mentality in him? You think he would make Real's roster with him jerking off on the couch all day every day?

Or are you trying to say that at 19years old, pure talent is all what it takes to lead the league in measurables?

The draft is around the corner, there isn't much else to say that hasn't been said before. You act like you haven't been reading and posting on this board for the last 3 years.

Ok, I misunderstood. I still think young player can make it in Euroleague without these traits tho. I dont really know how hard Doncic works on his game and his body, he definitely has natural talent and can naturally do things guys like Maciulis or Taylor couldn't do if they practiced 10 years.
Sactowndog
Kings Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 1,711

Post#1205 » by Sactowndog » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:21 pm

burek3 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
burek3 wrote:

The draft is around the corner, there isn't much else to say that hasn't been said before. You act like you haven't been reading and posting on this board for the last 3 years (yes, I lurked here before 2017).

I’m curious. What does Luca make in salary for Real? Has anyone compared the rookie salary scale to Euroleague top salaries?
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#1206 » by UcanUwill » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:07 am

Sactowndog wrote:I’m curious. What does Luca make in salary for Real? Has anyone compared the rookie salary scale to Euroleague top salaries?

Top Euro salaries are about 3 million Euros after tax. Its probably equal to 6 million dollar contract in the NBA, so a little bit more than number 1 pick salary. But I am just making a guess. Doncic probably makes much less though, I dont know how much he makes, that would be interesting to know.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,482

Post#1207 » by Mirotic12 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:56 am

MemphisX wrote:Come on, Anthony Randolph starts on that team.

In 2 years with Real Madrid, Randolph has started in EuroLeague in 26 games, out of the 51 that he has played. Under every single NBA terminology, he's not a "starter" then.

mixerball wrote:are you watching REAL games in the same parallel universe as the rest of the world?

Anthony Randoply may straight out be the softest big man to ever play in EuroLeague. His main competition for that title is David Andersen and Nikola Mirotic, but Randoplh is right up there.

He's uber soft. He has tremendous physical talent, but he really soft.

UcanUwill wrote:You basically said its impossible to make Euroleague roster without hard work and winning mentality. How is that, you think there arent players who just riding on their talent at that level? A lot of players are under or over weight all the time, or stagnate for years, especially in European levels. And winning mentality arguments are always the worst, its intangible that we cant measure, and most of the time, ''winning mentality'' argument is just a reach when you out of arguments. Sorry, but thats my opinion.

Again, with taking what people said out of context. He was talking about being a rotation player on Real Madrid, not about being on a EuroLeague roster. Two completely different things.

You guys really need to stop this taking things out of context shtick you are on, because this thread is becoming absurd.

Talking about what it is like to be key player in Real Madrid, and that gets changed to just being on a EuroLeague roster (so any random 16th man, on any team). Talking about how a guy like Zach Auguste was a star in ACC (fact), and would be at superstar level now (only people without basketball knowledge think otherwise)...and twisted into he was a superstar in NCAA.

This thread is very rapidly deteriorating.

Sactowndog wrote:I’m curious. What does Luca make in salary for Real? Has anyone compared the rookie salary scale to Euroleague top salaries?

The top salaries in Europe...over the last 25-30 years or so, they are almost always in the $3 million to $5 million per season in net income (after taxes paid, and paid by the clubs, and agent fees paid by the clubs). So, you are talking about roughly $6.6 million to $11 million in NBA terms.

As far as Real goes as a team, in recent years they have consistently paid a top salary of €3 million euros net - that's what Rudy used to get, that's what they offered Mirotic before he left, that's what Llull gets now. That comes to about $8.1 million a season in NBA money.

Now if we want to speculate on what they might offer Doncic, if they wanted to keep him...the most they offered to any player in recent years was €3.5 million euros net a season to Spanoulis (so that's around $9.5 million a year in NBA).

Other than that, I guess we could use historical reference points like Drazen Petrovic and Arvydas Sabonis. It was rumored that Real offered $5 million net to Petrovic to stay, and that they later paid that to Sabonis. So with that having been after taxes, the club paying the taxes, and then the agent fees, that would be somewhere around $11 million a season in NBA money. But they were supposedly paying that to Sabonis back in the 90s. Again, in recent years, the most they offered was the one offer to Spanoulis, which would be something around $9.5 million a season in NBA money. But I suppose if they offered/gave that much in the past to Drazen and Sabonis, they might think about offering it to Doncic, if they thought he would stay.

As for what Doncic is currently making, I don't really know for sure, but I remember reading somewhere that it was believed that he signed a 1 year contract just for this season, and at a salary of €1 million euros net (something like $2.7 million in NBA money). But keep in mind that's nowhere near the team's top salary, since on the same team, Llull makes 3 times that amount.

So basically, I guess if they thought he might stay, they would offer something way over what the top draft pick would get, but I doubt they offer anything at all, since he is making it clear he's going to the NBA.
BoardCrusher
Junior
And1: 319

Post#1208 » by BoardCrusher » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:01 am

Mirotic12 wrote:As for what Doncic is currently making, I don't really know for sure, but I remember reading somewhere that it was believed that he signed a 1 year contract just for this season, and at a salary of €1 million euros net (something like $2.7 million in NBA money). But keep in mind that's nowhere near the team's top salary, since on the same team, Llull makes 3 times that amount.

So basically, I guess if they thought he might stay, they would offer something way over what the top draft pick would get, but I doubt they offer anything at all, since he is making it clear he's going to the NBA.

I could be wrong, but iirc he signed a 2 year deal in february last year
Sactowndog

Post#1209 » by Sactowndog » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:07 am

UcanUwill wrote:

Top Euro salaries are about 3 million Euros after tax. Its probably equal to 6 million dollar contract in the NBA, so a little bit more than number 1 pick salary. But I am just making a guess. Doncic probably makes much less though, I dont know how much he makes, that would be interesting to know.

Could be interesting if he wants to avoid the rookie salary cap he could stay in Europe like Bogdan until he is free to negotiate his own salary.
DaddyCool19
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,392

Post#1210 » by DaddyCool19 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:23 am

Sactowndog wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

Could be interesting if he wants to avoid the rookie salary cap he could stay in Europe like Bogdan until he is free to negotiate his own salary.

Wouldn't that push his max contract back 3 years? I'm not sure that would be the smartest thing to do.
916fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#1211 » by 916fan » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:24 am

UcanUwill wrote:

Let's assume he's the #1 pick, here would be his entire rookie scale: https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/info/rookie_scale/2019 (The numbers in the link are only showing rookie scale base salaries. Doncic would be getting 120% of it).

Yr 1: $8,009,680
Yr 2: $9,481,320
Yr 3: $9,932,760
Yr 4: $12,525,210
----------------------------
4 years $39,948,970...which comes to almost $10million/yr not including taxes. Can Real actually top that? It's also not factoring in the fatter brand deals he would get while coming over to the NBA.

Sactowndog wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

There's absolutely 0 reason for Doncic to wait 3 years before coming over to the NBA. Bogdan was not ready to come over immediately (even at 21yearsold), whereas Doncic is. He'd only be playing 1 additional year in the NBA vs. ACB before he can negotiate a new contract. Unless Real decides to give him the biggest contract in history, he would be making more money in the NBA anyways. Plus, as I mentioned above, he'd be getting much more luxurious brand deals in the NBA vs. ACB/Euroleague. It makes no sense financially for Doncic to stay 3 years. Would he even want to stay 3 more years?

I also didn't even go into "SUPER MAX" vs. "max" which would be a whole new ballgame. After those 4 years on his rookie scale, he'd be looking at a supermax. 3 years overseas? I doubt his team would even give him the regular max...
916fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#1212 » by 916fan » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:34 am

DaddyCool19 wrote:
Sactowndog wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

Wouldn't that push his max contract back 3 years? I'm not sure that would be the smartest thing to do.

Here's if Doncic stays in Europe for 3 years:
A) Doncic would need to stay overseas for at least3 years. After the 3 years is up, he's free to negotiate as much money as he wants in the NBA with the team that drafted him.

Here's if Doncic immediately comes over:
B) Doncic would stay with the NBA team for 4 years, after the 4 years is up, he's free to negotiate as much money as he wants with that team.

So it's only a 1 year difference. However, he'd be making much more money per year with the NBA team than he would in Europe. I also doubt any team would give him a $20mill+contract if he chooses option A.
DaddyCool19
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,392

Post#1213 » by DaddyCool19 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:57 am

916fan wrote:
DaddyCool19 wrote:
Sactowndog wrote:

A) Doncic would need to stay overseas for at least3 years. After the 3 years is up, he's free to negotiate as much money as he wants in the NBA with the team that drafted him.

B) Doncic would stay with the NBA team for 4 years, after the 4 years is up, he's free to negotiate as much money as he wants with that team.

So it's only a 1 year difference. However, he'd be making much more money per year with the NBA team than he would in Europe. I also doubt any team would give him a $20mill+contract if he chooses option A.

And what about cap space? Could the team that drafted him even sign him to more than let's say the MLE if they have no cap space left?
BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#1214 » by BlueSan » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:21 am

916fan wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

Let's assume he's the #1 pick, here would be his entire rookie scale: https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/info/rookie_scale/2019 (The numbers in the link are only showing rookie scale base salaries. Doncic would be getting 120% of it).

4 years $39,948,970...which comes to almost $10million/yr not including taxes. Can Real actually top that? It's also not factoring in the fatter brand deals he would get while coming over to the NBA.

Sactowndog wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

There's absolutely 0 reason for Doncic to wait 3 years before coming over to the NBA. Bogdan was not ready to come over immediately (even at 21yearsold), whereas Doncic is. He'd only be playing 1 additional year in the NBA vs. ACB before he can negotiate a new contract. Unless Real decides to give him the biggest contract in history, he would be making more money in the NBA anyways. Plus, as I mentioned above, he'd be getting much more luxurious brand deals in the NBA vs. ACB/Euroleague. It makes no sense financially for Doncic to stay 3 years. Would he even want to stay 3 more years?

I also didn't even go into "SUPER MAX" vs. "max" which would be a whole new ballgame. After those 4 years on his rookie scale, he'd be looking at a supermax. 3 years overseas? I doubt his team would even give him the regular max...

Real could, but would not top that. This is a gigantic club which has a **** load of money, most of it originating from Football those 30,000,000 mils is like a drop in the ocean of what Real Madrid earns a year. Real Madrid CF being the golden egg part of it and income of the football club alone is 700,000,000 €
So in general Real Madrid as a whole invests little in basketball
Donka_fan
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#1215 » by Donka_fan » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:46 pm

Rubio da Man! Bravo. One of four guys to record a triple double in his first 3 playoff games. If Rubio can do that, imagine what wonder boy can do. Just love how he can get under Russel's skin. Go rubio! These euro busts.
Donka_fan
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#1216 » by Donka_fan » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:49 pm

Keep the euro busts coming :lol:
Sactowndog

Post#1217 » by Sactowndog » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:13 pm

DaddyCool19 wrote:
Sactowndog wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

No like with Bogdanovich after 3 years the rookie scale goes away and they can sign for any amount.
Sactowndog

Post#1218 » by Sactowndog » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:18 pm

916fan wrote:
DaddyCool19 wrote:
Sactowndog wrote:

I’m not sure you are correct. The payment numbers are after taxes and agent fees in Europe. He could well be taking a pay cut if he comes right away versus waiting 3 years. Either way he wants to enter the draft now and start the clock.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,482

Post#1219 » by Mirotic12 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:38 pm

BoardCrusher wrote:I could be wrong, but iirc he signed a 2 year deal in february last year

I'm pretty sure it was what they call a 1+1 in Europe. Which means, the 2nd year is the option of the player and the team. So in NBA terms, a 1 year guaranteed deal, with the team being able to cut the 2nd year. So, for all intents and purposes, a one year deal.

916fan wrote:Let's assume he's the #1 pick, here would be his entire rookie scale: https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/info/rookie_scale/2019 (The numbers in the link are only showing rookie scale base salaries. Doncic would be getting 120% of it).

Yes, they can top that. Like I said, they offered Petrovic $5 million net with agent fees covered back in the 80s, and paid that to Sabonis back in the 90s. So yes, they could top that if they wanted to - this is Real Madrid we are talking about. The club has enormous amounts of money (just look at their football transfers). If they wanted to, they could sign LeBron.

The question is why would they? Doncic made it clear he's going to the NBA for quite some time now. So I very seriously doubt they make any real big offers to him. They already gave Llull that gigantic contract, when the Rockets offered him something like $24 million for 3 years, and Real Madrid gave him considerably more than that to stay.

If Doncic leaves, they can just turn around and go get Sergio Rodriguez back from CSKA. So I really don't see the incentive for them to get into some bidding war for Doncic.
springcadre
Sophomore
And1: 92

Post#1220 » by springcadre » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:43 pm

You don’t draft European wings/forwards in the lottery. Only bigs

Return to NBA Draft