Zion Williamson

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: jman3134, Marcus, Ruzious

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 12,419
And1: 16,029
Joined: Jun 16, 2015
   

Re: Zion Williamson 

Post#361 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:36 am

clyde21 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
I'm not saying he cant be TE. I'm saying he'd be tried at DE first, which is an infinitely more important position. Theres a reason Watt converted from TE to DE.

Also the muscle thing is a non point. Go look at a pic of Watt when he was 17 like Zion is now.


Ya high school Watt isnt the most intimidating guy. Ya here is the crazy thing, Jadeveon Clowney at 21 years old was 6'5" 266 pounds. Zion just turned 18 and is 6'6 and 272 pounds. Can you imagine this dude in 3 years if he was put on a DE weight training program.


He'd be a monster. Would be #1 recruit at DE with those measurables.

That said, BB is 100 times better for him.


The ease that he dunks from the FT line is just insane



This is one of the more legit FT dunks I have seen and he does this after like an hour workout and it seems easy for him. Its weird but I think he went from very overrated to underrated pretty quickly. If that jumper ever gets consistent and he keeps that motor high defensively, this dude can be something special.
User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 22,565
And1: 21,663
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
     

Re: Zion Williamson 

Post#362 » by clyde21 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:00 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Ya high school Watt isnt the most intimidating guy. Ya here is the crazy thing, Jadeveon Clowney at 21 years old was 6'5" 266 pounds. Zion just turned 18 and is 6'6 and 272 pounds. Can you imagine this dude in 3 years if he was put on a DE weight training program.


He'd be a monster. Would be #1 recruit at DE with those measurables.

That said, BB is 100 times better for him.


The ease that he dunks from the FT line is just insane



This is one of the more legit FT dunks I have seen and he does this after like an hour workout and it seems easy for him. Its weird but I think he went from very overrated to underrated pretty quickly. If that jumper ever gets consistent and he keeps that motor high defensively, this dude can be something special.


Like I said a while ago...he's a LeBron James level athlete. The physical profile is insane. We haven't seen someone that big, strong and fast since LeBron came out.
*** FREEDOM FOR PALESTINE ***
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 12,419
And1: 16,029
Joined: Jun 16, 2015
   

Re: Zion Williamson 

Post#363 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:07 am

clyde21 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
He'd be a monster. Would be #1 recruit at DE with those measurables.

That said, BB is 100 times better for him.


The ease that he dunks from the FT line is just insane



This is one of the more legit FT dunks I have seen and he does this after like an hour workout and it seems easy for him. Its weird but I think he went from very overrated to underrated pretty quickly. If that jumper ever gets consistent and he keeps that motor high defensively, this dude can be something special.


Like I said a while ago...he's a LeBron James level athlete. The physical profile is insane. We haven't seen someone that big, strong and fast since LeBron came out.


Yup. And its not just the jumping, the dude is super agile and has a really good first step and is super quick in the open court. Now obviously he's not on the same level as LeBron as a prospect, cause LeBron had the freakish athleticism/body to go with the freakish skill set. Zion has the freakish athleticism/body, he doesnt have the freakish skill set. But I think its gotten to the point now that I think people have underrated his skill set. I see a lot of people saying he has no handle and no skill and the only thing he can do is dunk on under sized guys. He has a pretty good handle for a dude his size, tremendous touch at the rim, a shot with some potential on it and when he shows up defensively, he can be a beast on that end.
User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 22,565
And1: 21,663
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
     

Re: Zion Williamson 

Post#364 » by clyde21 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:14 am

Completely agree.

His passing and court vision is getting underrated for sure because people see the insane athleticism first and kind of ignore the nuances.

Second best prospect so far to me after Little.
*** FREEDOM FOR PALESTINE ***
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 12,419
And1: 16,029
Joined: Jun 16, 2015
   

Re: Zion Williamson 

Post#365 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:32 am

clyde21 wrote:Completely agree.

His passing and court vision is getting underrated for sure because people see the insane athleticism first and kind of ignore the nuances.

Second best prospect so far to me after Little.


Right now if Im just taking who I think can be the best player Id go

1. Cam
2. Zion
3. Little
4. RJ

To me Cam can be special. The skill level for his size is damn good when you factor in his handle and ability to run an offense. Defensively he has the size/length/athleticism as well and has shown times when he can be a stud defender. But damn I wouldnt take him #1 cause that motor. I really hope some of RJ's fire and intensity rubs off on him.

Zion freak of freaks. Im curious if whoever drafts him might just go the Giannis route and give him the ball a lot early on, take the bumps and bruises that will come with doing that, with the hope that his overall skill level will continue to grow and he can always fall back on just getting to the rim with that freakish explosion and strength.

I like Little a lot, tremendous size and athleticism to go with that ferocious pitbull attitude. I am curious to see how well his ability to create for himself comes along though. Right now his ability to create offense for himself is pretty basic. Solid turn around jumper and a spin move when attacking the basket. I just feel like offensively he is the rawest and I have the least amount of faith of him being a #1 option type guy out of the 4.

RJ to me just has a stiffness/mechanical vibe to his game. He has gotten more explosive but still his movements is till more power guard than anything else. I just cant think of too many perimeter players that are studs offensively with that style of play. Harden is the closest with his super crafty style, but who knows with RJ. He is definitely really skilled and I love his attitude.

Those are my top 4 guys with there being a significant gap to #5. If I were to draft right now I would probably go RJ, Little, Cam then Zion (again list above is who I think has the highest ceilings). I think I can easily see the ranking and order I have for these 4 constantly be changing over the college season. Im not a fan of this class at all as of right now, but if I was a team and landed a top 4 pick I would be happy. We will see if any other guys begin to close the gap on these 4.
akhan786
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,284
And1: 1,209
Joined: Nov 10, 2015

Re: Zion Williamson 

Post#366 » by akhan786 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:36 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:RJ to me just has a stiffness/mechanical vibe to his game. He has gotten more explosive but still his movements is till more power guard than anything else. I just cant think of too many perimeter players that are studs offensively with that style of play. Harden is the closest with his super crafty style, but who knows with RJ. He is definitely really skilled and I love his attitude.



I hope RJ watches a lot of Harden film and notices that this "stiffness" is alleviated in Harden because Harden couples that with elite quickness and a great feel for the opponent's body which he uses to his advantage. RJ needs to be on whatever Wendell Carter did during the summer to up his lateral quickness, because otherwise I don't think his game will be efficient in the league.

Anyone know why RJ and Harden have this upright stiffness about their games? Is it just their body frame? Tatum in comparison is smooth like butter.
Ambrose
Rookie
Posts: 1,019
And1: 778
Joined: Jul 05, 2014
Contact:
 

Re: Zion Williamson 

Post#367 » by Ambrose » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:38 pm

I still think he needs to drop weight to take stress of his knees. Athletically he's beyond impressive.
Spens1
RealGM
Posts: 10,158
And1: 2,544
Joined: Jun 16, 2015
     

Re: Zion Williamson 

Post#368 » by Spens1 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:05 am

I like his game in a way. He's super explosive, athletic, has decent handles and rebounding. In a way i'd argue that given his athleticism, strength, handles and the tools he has, he could be a good defender. He'll be at Duke so you know Coach K will be working with him on everything. If he is one and done, i'd imagine you'd have a pretty all rounded player, minus a shot. Which isn't a bad thing to begin with, not in this draft at least, whoever is drafting him though should be mindful that they'd be getting a player without a shot (think DeAaron Fox)
User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 22,565
And1: 21,663
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
     

Re: Zion Williamson 

Post#369 » by clyde21 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:41 pm

He has the potential to be a sooped up version of Draymond Green in the league.
*** FREEDOM FOR PALESTINE ***
BAMAFREAK
Sophomore
Posts: 108
And1: 119
Joined: Feb 27, 2017
   

Re: Zion Williamson 

Post#370 » by BAMAFREAK » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:38 pm

Outside of Sexton last year(due to him going to Bama), Zion is the player that I’m most excited to see how they translate to the next level. Human beings aren’t supposed to be that big/thick and be able to run and jump like him.
I know most people are waiting to see if he develops a shot but I want to see if he can control the game, how he handles the ball and distributes when defenses collapse. I would love for him to be able to run some point forward. He will be able to get to the rack, there’s just no way he’s getting kept out consistently without help.
I haven’t seen enough of him to judge his b-ball iq, but if it’s high, then his ceiling is off the charts, because his athleticism and strength is legendary
BAMAFREAK
Sophomore
Posts: 108
And1: 119
Joined: Feb 27, 2017
   

Re: Zion Williamson 

Post#371 » by BAMAFREAK » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:41 pm

clyde21 wrote:He has the potential to be a sooped up version of Draymond Green in the league.


I agree. If Draymond had his physical tools he’d be an all time great. Especially with the spacing on that team. He’d have multiple video game dunks nearly every game.
akhan786
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,284
And1: 1,209
Joined: Nov 10, 2015

Re: Zion Williamson 

Post#372 » by akhan786 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:35 am

BAMAFREAK wrote:
clyde21 wrote:He has the potential to be a sooped up version of Draymond Green in the league.


I agree. If Draymond had his physical tools he’d be an all time great. Especially with the spacing on that team. He’d have multiple video game dunks nearly every game.


He should be on a healthy diet of Draymond Green film every day. I agree that Zion's ceiling will be determined by how high he shows his basketball IQ to be.

He could be legendary if his IQ is at the level of Green. And he'd be quite the marketing force as well with his polished demeanor and ridiculous highlights.

On the other hand, he could also be just too damn small and too damn outdated for the league as well if he never develops a shot. God I'd hate to be a GM.
EricAnderson
Analyst
Posts: 3,422
And1: 1,006
Joined: May 28, 2008

Re: Zion Williamson 

Post#373 » by EricAnderson » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:53 pm

I haven’t seen much of him outside of clips and I understand there’s been YouTube sensations before who’ve been overhyped but it’s hard for me to imagine a player with that explosion size court vision and passing ability that at the very least he’s gonna have some success in the nba and if he develops a jumper skies the limit
Upperclass
Starter
Posts: 2,399
And1: 868
Joined: Aug 09, 2005

Re: Zion Williamson 

Post#374 » by Upperclass » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:04 am

He's going to end up one of the top 5 players ever. And it isn't that hard to see.
jonjames
Starter
Posts: 2,432
And1: 1,560
Joined: Apr 02, 2016

Re: Zion Williamson 

Post#375 » by jonjames » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:08 am

akhan786 wrote:
BAMAFREAK wrote:
clyde21 wrote:He has the potential to be a sooped up version of Draymond Green in the league.


I agree. If Draymond had his physical tools he’d be an all time great. Especially with the spacing on that team. He’d have multiple video game dunks nearly every game.


He should be on a healthy diet of Draymond Green film every day. I agree that Zion's ceiling will be determined by how high he shows his basketball IQ to be.

He could be legendary if his IQ is at the level of Green. And he'd be quite the marketing force as well with his polished demeanor and ridiculous highlights.

On the other hand, he could also be just too damn small and too damn outdated for the league as well if he never develops a shot. God I'd hate to be a GM.



Honestly I cant see him not succeeding in the nba barring any type of serious injury. His combination of size strength explosiveness is so rare last time we seen that coming into the league was lebron james. With all the concerns about zions jumpshot or lack thereof..i mean just this past season Ben Simmons made a whole lot of noise with virtually non existent jumpshot and was basically living off of bunnies and everything inside 10ft. Simmons impact on the game is facilitated by his ability to move and handle at his 6'10 sturdy frame which is almost unstoppable for the opposition. Zion is very similar in that regard in that his abiltiy to handle and move with his sheer physical size athleticism and strength can not be denied. These are some notable players with those said attributes in varying degrees: lebron james russell westbrook derrick rose blake griffin shawn kemp karl malone charles barkely etc. Reason i believe he will translate regardless if he develops a jumpshot or not is his multi dimensional athleticism..hes built like a brickhouse but posseses really light and nimble feet very quick 1st step powerful two feet and 1ft leaping ability..when most players can only do 1 of the other. Hes the total package athletically at least and cant wait to see him play.
Justwar
Pro Prospect
Posts: 891
And1: 156
Joined: Jul 01, 2003
Location: Kentucky
Contact:

Re: Zion Williamson 

Post#376 » by Justwar » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:52 am

Zion doesn't got nearly the vision of Ben, and I think Ben is a better defender
User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 22,565
And1: 21,663
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
     

Re: Zion Williamson 

Post#377 » by clyde21 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:32 am

Justwar wrote:Zion doesn't got nearly the vision of Ben, and I think Ben is a better defender


I don't remember Ben being as good of a defender as he is now at LSU.
*** FREEDOM FOR PALESTINE ***
InTheNBADraft
Ballboy
Posts: 45
And1: 13
Joined: Mar 12, 2018

Re: Zion Williamson 

Post#378 » by InTheNBADraft » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:41 am

Barkley?
Justwar
Pro Prospect
Posts: 891
And1: 156
Joined: Jul 01, 2003
Location: Kentucky
Contact:

Re: Zion Williamson 

Post#379 » by Justwar » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:23 am

Zion at 6'5 defending the front court could be bad
KP6
Pro Prospect
Posts: 894
And1: 520
Joined: Oct 25, 2016
 

Re: Zion Williamson 

Post#380 » by KP6 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:38 pm

Round Mound of Rebounding #2 maybe?

Return to NBA Draft