2020 NBA Draft II

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Re: 2020 NBA Draft II 

Post#401 » by No-Man » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:46 pm

pre-draft I would have taken Mikal, pretty clearly, just better offensively, not as quick, less athletic than Vassell, but still

I like Vassell top15, had Mikal a bit higher in a way better class
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,125

Post#402 » by clyde21 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:30 pm

Mikal for sure, tho he was considerably older than Vassell is right now

would still take Mikal tho
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,043

Post#403 » by The-Power » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:23 pm

pcbothwel wrote:Vassells ability to be a high level defender probably puts him SLIGHTLY above Mikal as a prospect.

Mikal Bridges is an incredible defender and was super impressive in college on that end. One of the smartest all-around defenders I've seen with the physical tools to make use of that.
CoreyVillains
Head Coach
And1: 1,801

Post#404 » by CoreyVillains » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:22 pm

Just finished my 10 minute Cole Anthony breakdown that you guys can check out below:

And ICYMI - Wiseman, Ball, and Avdija:

GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#405 » by GimmeDat » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:31 am

Mikal and Vassell certainly deserve to be spoken about in the same vein.. I think Mikal was the superior prospect, though.

Mikal's still been very impactful as a young player, but he messed up his shooting stroke going into his rookie year which has hurt his offensive impact.

I think Mikal is more positionally versatile, Vassell seems like a clear SG to me despite the measurements, could probably guard a lot of three's but maybe doesn't have the frame to defend more physical 3's perhaps (less of a concern as other teams go smaller on wings).

Physically, he actually reminds me a ton of Fultz.

I like him a lot, I think he's top 10 for me.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#406 » by No-Man » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:02 am

GimmeDat wrote:could probably guard a lot of three's but maybe doesn't have the frame to defend more physical 3's perhaps (less of a concern as other teams go smaller on wings).

not sure how this is any different with Mikal who has the same issue
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#407 » by GimmeDat » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:19 am

Fischella wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:could probably guard a lot of three's but maybe doesn't have the frame to defend more physical 3's perhaps (less of a concern as other teams go smaller on wings).

not sure how this is any different with Mikal who has the same issue

Frame wise they're both pretty skinny but iirc Mikal's got slightly bigger dimensions. For whatever the distinction is worth, I see Mikal as more of a 3 that can play the 2, and Vessell more as a 2 that can play the 3
No-Man
RealGM

Post#408 » by No-Man » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:27 am

That just isn't true, Mikal has a bit of length on Vassell, but they are the same height, similar frames, similar weights

I don't think Mikal has a much better case defending physical forwards, really, both are swingmen

The difference between them lies on offense, Bridges could do more
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#409 » by GimmeDat » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:13 pm

Fischella wrote:That just isn't true, Mikal has a bit of length on Vassell, but they are the same height, similar frames, similar weights

I don't think Mikal has a much better case defending physical forwards, really, both are swingmen

Vassell 6'10 wingspan, Bridges 7'2 wingspan.

I'm not suggesting either is playing up at the 4 due to their slight frames, but I do think it gives Mikal an added advantage defending bigger, taller 3's.

Offensively, I agree.

I think the other thing that shouldn't be ignored though - Vassell is still 19. Bridges was 22 (?) in his last college season.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#410 » by doordoor123 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:07 am

I want to see Cole Anthony be the face of a team. He has such great flashes and I can see him finding success offensively. I just see him being Trae Young-like on defense, which scares me. Trae Young is only able to play that way because of his three point shot so I’m not really sure what to think about Anthony. Maybe he’s more of a back up type player.
RipCity71252
Pro Prospect
And1: 194

Post#411 » by RipCity71252 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:11 am

Fischella wrote:That just isn't true, Mikal has a bit of length on Vassell, but they are the same height, similar frames, similar weights

Hmmm, I don't agree with the "do more" sentiment.

Mikal had better finishing tools and quickness that made him more effective as a finisher/cutter in the half court, and developed into a high percentage 3pt shooter on good volume late in his college career, but feel like Vassell has a more well rounded scoring package, has a more reliable and advanced handle, is the better decision maker and further along as a shooter at similar ages.

You can argue how much of what Vassell does in the mid range is valuable or translatable in the NBA, but I think that along with his better handle and decision making off the bounce, helps open up the possibility of him being a higher usage / higher impact offensive player than Mikal has shown, even if we ignore the recent shooting struggles.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,854

Post#412 » by MotownMadness » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:02 pm

doordoor123 wrote:I want to see Cole Anthony be the face of a team. He has such great flashes and I can see him finding success offensively. I just see him being Trae Young-like on defense, which scares me. Trae Young is only able to play that way because of his three point shot so I’m not really sure what to think about Anthony. Maybe he’s more of a back up type player.

I dont think he will be Trae young bad on defense. Hes definitely got a defensive motor but just a smaller guy.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,043

Post#413 » by The-Power » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:30 pm

MotownMadness wrote: I dont think he will be Trae young bad on defense. Hes definitely got a defensive motor but just a smaller guy.

Yeah, I don't get that either. He will always be a bit limited by his size but he was much better than Young defensively in HS and in college – and we know NBA-Young is a terrible defender as well. Maybe if Cole ever becomes good enough offensively to have him play in a Trae-like role we'd be talking about him being a poor defender as well; but at this point, he's clearly more effective and has a better motor on defense (but has not, of course, shown anything near Trae's offensive ability).
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#414 » by nolang1 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:28 am

The Mikal Bridges comparison is why I’ve had Vassell as as 2020 lottery pick since before the 2019 season ended. I think both players are undersold for not having “ideal wing size” when A) their idea role is as a bigger/longer Danny Green (who was also considered a SF in college) and B) players like LeBron and Kawhi are not only rare matchups but will also be mostly out of the picture by the time Vassell is 26 or whatever.

As far as Bridges vs. Vassell, it seems to have been rendered moot by Bridges’ shot getting screwed up since entering the league - even then, Bridges still seems to be a positive player despite not having any ability to shoot off the dribble.
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#415 » by nolang1 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:35 am

doordoor123 wrote:I want to see Cole Anthony be the face of a team. He has such great flashes and I can see him finding success offensively. I just see him being Trae Young-like on defense, which scares me. Trae Young is only able to play that way because of his three point shot so I’m not really sure what to think about Anthony. Maybe he’s more of a back up type player.

It’s pretty easy to see Cole being solid enough on defense to at least approximate Trae Young’s overall impact. Without even having to look at tape, he’s a substantially better rebounder.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,191

Post#416 » by Catchall » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:21 am

HeadtopChunes wrote:Who’s a better prospect Devin Vasell or Mikal Bridges and why ?

For me, it's Vassell and it's not particularly close. Bridges is a 3D wing. Vassell is a much more versatile scorer and shot creator. I see Vassell's best-case scenario as a more athletic, more versatile, more defensively capable Devin Booker. That's a max player.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,363

Post#417 » by King Ken » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:19 pm

clyde21 wrote:Mikal for sure, tho he was considerably older than Vassell is right now

would still take Mikal tho

Mikal is 20-25 pounds bigger. Superior prospect over Vassell.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,363

Post#418 » by King Ken » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:25 pm

Bridges over the last two seasons has been a net positive NBA wing man for any experience level. His shooting hasn't translated as well as expected but everything else has which is why he was in my top 8 in a MUCH better draft class as a prospect.

Vassell is lucky he posts a positive WAR in his first two seasons period. Vassell is miles away from Bridges.

Bridges has a superior feel for the game
Superior off ball skills
Superior defender
Superior strength
Superior awareness
Superior lateral quickness
Superior functional athleticism

You are comparing a tier 3 prospect to a tier 5 prospect. The gap is insanely massive.

Bridges is better than anyone in this class as a prospect when he was a prospect.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#419 » by doordoor123 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:04 pm

nolang1 wrote:

It’s pretty easy to see Cole being solid enough on defense to at least approximate Trae Young’s overall impact. Without even having to look at tape, he’s a substantially better rebounder.

Is he? Trae Young is a pretty good rebounder for a guard, especially for his size. Cole has lapses where he doesn’t play defense, like Young. Young also had a high steal rate in college, it doesn’t make him a better defender in the NBA.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,125

Post#420 » by clyde21 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:17 pm

Cole is a better defender than Trae but not nearly the playmaker, that makes Trae playable at this point is that he's an elite playmaker

Return to NBA Draft