Kentucky prospects (Johnson, Hagans, Washington, Herro...)

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: Kentucky prospects (Johnson, Hagans, Washington, Herro...) 

Post#241 » by Ruzious » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:15 pm

So the Celtics just missed out on Herro (went 13, they had 14) and Brandon Clarke (picked 21st, they had 22). Not to mention they let Philly have Thybulle. I know the odds are generally speaking better in trade downs, but if you really like a player and have the assets to do it, trading up makes sense to me. Danny Ainge isn't saying: I know, right?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Slim Charlez
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,451

Post#242 » by Slim Charlez » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:35 pm

Kelson Johnson might low-key be the Spurs best prospect atm. Not that it's saying much but again another player who got lost in the wildcat's depth.
mattg
General Manager
And1: 3,012

Post#243 » by mattg » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:58 am

Ruzious wrote:So the Celtics just missed out on Herro (went 13, they had 14) and Brandon Clarke (picked 21st, they had 22). Not to mention they let Philly have Thybulle. I know the odds are generally speaking better in trade downs, but if you really like a player and have the assets to do it, trading up makes sense to me. Danny Ainge isn't saying: I know, right?

The Celtics definitely liked Herro for sure, he even has said as much on a podcast that he thought he might go there. But the point remains that if you truly believe in and want a guy, you trade up for him when you have 3 picks in the first round. And Boston didn't, and that trend has been a trademark of Ainge as a GM. Trying to hoard assets for some hypothetical super mega trade or something.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#244 » by King Ken » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:42 pm

mattg wrote:
Ruzious wrote:So the Celtics just missed out on Herro (went 13, they had 14) and Brandon Clarke (picked 21st, they had 22). Not to mention they let Philly have Thybulle. I know the odds are generally speaking better in trade downs, but if you really like a player and have the assets to do it, trading up makes sense to me. Danny Ainge isn't saying: I know, right?

The Celtics definitely liked Herro for sure, he even has said as much on a podcast that he thought he might go there. But the point remains that if you truly believe in and want a guy, you trade up for him when you have 3 picks in the first round. And Boston didn't, and that trend has been a trademark of Ainge as a GM. Trying to hoard assets for some hypothetical super mega trade or something.

The Hawks believed and they wanted Cam Reddish and he fell to them. That said, they knew the climate, wanted De'Andre Hunter and knew the only way to get him was to move ahead of Cleveland. So it seems Boston just didn't talk enough to the teams ahead of them. They should have been on the phone with Phoenix when they traded for #11
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#245 » by Ruzious » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:48 pm

mattg wrote:

And Dallas effectively trading up for Doncic (though the trade was finalized after the picks were made) is a classic example of going for it when you know who you want.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
King Ken
General Manager

Post#246 » by King Ken » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:48 pm

I am not buying the interest in Herro from Boston like that. If you didn't do your homework to move up, that's bad GMing. Hawks did that with Giannis. It's no excuse that Milwaukee drafted him at 15 when you had the ammo to move up and land him.
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#247 » by Spud2nique » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:17 pm

King Ken wrote:I am not buying the interest in Herro from Boston like that. If you didn't do your homework to move up, that's bad GMing. Hawks did that with Giannis. It's no excuse that Milwaukee drafted him at 15 when you had the ammo to move up and land him.

No this wasn’t the case with Giannis. Ferry had his eyes set on him the whole time and Larry Drew left to the Bucks and ratted. There’s no way to predict that.

But generally it’s common sense that if you want a player badly you move up. Just make sure it’s not a guy like Frank the Tank.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,166

Post#248 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:52 pm

King Ken wrote:I am not buying the interest in Herro from Boston like that. If you didn't do your homework to move up, that's bad GMing. Hawks did that with Giannis. It's no excuse that Milwaukee drafted him at 15 when you had the ammo to move up and land him.

Oh I'm sure they liked him, but I agree its some revisionist BS because I'm sure they also liked Langfort and were happy to pick whichever fell to them. If fortunes were reversed and Romeo was providing playoff minutes while Herro was out for surgery then we would be hearing how much the Celtics loved Romeo during the draft and were sooo happy the Heat passed on him. Publicly giving yourself credit for a pick you didn't make is kind of weak lol. Don't get me wrong, its very human to say "oooh I liked that prospect, why didn't I do more to go after him" but to use that scenario to portray yourself as some talented prognosticator is dishonest.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#249 » by King Ken » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:34 am

Spud2nique wrote:

No this wasn’t the case with Giannis. Ferry had his eyes set on him the whole time and Larry Drew left to the Bucks and ratted. There’s no way to predict that.

But generally it’s common sense that if you want a player badly you move up. Just make sure it’s not a guy like Frank the Tank.

Someone within the industry let the Hawks know Milwaukee could possibly take him and did nothing but sit on it.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Post#250 » by clyde21 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:05 am

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:

Oh I'm sure they liked him, but I agree its some revisionist BS because I'm sure they also liked Langfort and were happy to pick whichever fell to them. If fortunes were reversed and Romeo was providing playoff minutes while Herro was out for surgery then we would be hearing how much the Celtics loved Romeo during the draft and were sooo happy the Heat passed on him. Publicly giving yourself credit for a pick you didn't make is kind of weak lol. Don't get me wrong, its very human to say "oooh I liked that prospect, why didn't I do more to go after him" but to use that scenario to portray yourself as some talented prognosticator is dishonest.

that's exactly right -- clearly they didn't like him enough to trade up for him. could've easily packaged 14+22 to move up ahead of Miami to take him if they wanted him

not buying it

Return to NBA Draft