Mac McClung

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Re: Mac McClung 

Post#21 » by doordoor123 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:33 pm

I think he'll make it in the league. Probably a second-rounder in this draft. He's a great finisher with contact for someone who is so small and he is so quick twitch for a white guy. He can stop on a dime, step back and make a shot. Im also a fan of players who create energy on the floor just by being out there and he's one of those guys.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#22 » by BostonCouchGM » Tue Dec 1, 2020 4:17 am

He won't amount to anything until he stops having tunnel vision. He really needs to improve his playmaking or he'll be spending his career overseas. I really think he was ruined by Ewing. He has so much promise coming out of high school.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,200

Post#23 » by babyjax13 » Tue Dec 1, 2020 5:36 am

I think his upside is a scoring guard off the bench. I don't see him as better than say Grant Riller, who was drafted in the mid second round (and IMO should have gone in the first, but that's neither here nor there), or Myles Powell, who didn't get drafted. His upside is something like a poor man's Lou Will/Utah's version of Jordan Clarkson, or a less fluid Brandon Jennings without the playmaking (which was still not ideal), and even that feels like a stretch. IDK maybe he'll show more playmaking ability as the season goes on, but even if he does, I'm not sure what he is.

Edit: I think his path to success is getting really good as a relocation shooter a la Nico Mannion (again, drafted in the mid second)...but his percentages just haven't been great so far (although the stroke looks nice).

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
robbo1010
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#24 » by robbo1010 » Tue Dec 1, 2020 5:27 pm

is tyler herro too obvious? Mitchell?
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,125

Post#25 » by clyde21 » Tue Dec 1, 2020 5:33 pm

he's nothing like Herro
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,314

Post#26 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Dec 2, 2020 6:12 am

Honestly I kind of feel for this kid. Any other 3 star player that goes to Georgetown and starts and averages 14/3/2 after his first 2 seasons, then transfers to a really solid Texas Tech team and off to a good start there, that would be a good success story.

Like I said on the first page, I honestly dont think anyone would really know his name all that much if he wasn't a white kid. There arent that many high school mixtapes of 6'1 white dudes throwing down windmills and alley-oops with ease. So that definitely caught a lot of people's eyes.

But overall when it comes to the NBA, he is a 6'1 2 guard that has practically 0 PG skills and his jumper is inconsistent at best. Right now he shouldnt be viewed as an NBA prospect. What he needs is a senior year where he averages 20+ and hits like 40% from 3. Im sure that with his athleticism, a team would take him in the 2nd. But as of right now, he isnt an NBA guy.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#27 » by clyde21 » Wed Dec 2, 2020 6:20 am

i agree he needs to improve PG skills, but he's improving across the board right now, it's still early obviously but he's shooting 50% from the floor right now (compared to not even 40% last year)...shoots at 80% from the stripe for his career so far which is good, he's not getting the assists right now but is also not turning the ball over (only .3 TOVs per game which is good for his usage%)

i think if he settles around 37% from 3, keeps that FT% up and goes to ~4 assists per he can move into draftable territory...i think like Carsen Edwards if he has a huge tourney that could be big for him, well see
bon
General Manager
And1: 13,395

Post#28 » by bon » Wed Dec 2, 2020 9:32 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:Like I said on the first page, I honestly dont think anyone would really know his name all that much if he wasn't a white kid. There arent that many high school mixtapes of 6'1 white dudes throwing down windmills and alley-oops with ease. So that definitely caught a lot of people's eyes.

But overall when it comes to the NBA, he is a 6'1 2 guard that has practically 0 PG skills and his jumper is inconsistent at best. Right now he shouldnt be viewed as an NBA prospect. What he needs is a senior year where he averages 20+ and hits like 40% from 3. Im sure that with his athleticism, a team would take him in the 2nd. But as of right now, he isnt an NBA guy.

Kind of reminds me of Gabe York from a few years back who was hyped for the same things. Ended up not developing the necessary guard skills for his height and is now in Europe. Hopefully McClung turns out better.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,804

Post#29 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Dec 3, 2020 6:09 pm

Easiest come is a poor mans Bobby Sura IMO. At least athletically, albeit Sura was a better athlete and Mac shoots is much better. Sura was a boss, wish he was playing today.
NYCbeadyrae
Freshman
And1: 32

Post#30 » by NYCbeadyrae » Sat Jan 2, 2021 8:21 pm

He better shoot well. With his short arms he’ll have trouble finishing regardless of athleticism. Is he even on NBA teams radar? Seems like an overseas pro to me.
mccluskey
Pro Prospect
And1: 620

Post#31 » by mccluskey » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:56 am

22 points and the game winner 3 tonight against Texas. Kid's first step is unreal, I've not seen anyone in college ball that can consistently stay in front of him. The Bob Sura comparison isn't bad but I watched Sura at FSU and this kid is quicker off the dribble with similar bounce.

still needs to tighten up his handle and show some more consistency from 3, but his defense looks improved and he's done a solid job creating opportunities for teammates from the point so far this year and cutting out the heat checks and bad shots from his game.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,762

Post#32 » by Upperclass » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:29 am

Sura was 6'5 with long arms..
916fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#33 » by 916fan » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:08 am

Mac might be one of the only few HS basketball stars with a huge youtube HS following that actually panned out in college.

However, I don't see him as an NBA prospect. He's an undersized SG who's a streaky shooter. If he wants to make the NBA, he needs to either develop PG handles or become a 40%+ 3pt shooter. I don't think either option is very likely because it's already his 3rd year and there hasn't been major improvements. He's going to be a 4 or 5 year college player. There's no way he declares after this year. With that being said, I could see a team taking a flyer on him in the 2nd round and give him a 2-way contract for marketing purposes. He's got a huge social media following. He's got a great work ethic which might be worth trying to develop if you're taking a flyer on marketing.
Leslie Forman
RealGM
And1: 6,297

Post#34 » by Leslie Forman » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:44 am

I get strong Nemanja Nedovic vibes from him.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#35 » by No-Man » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:34 pm

He should be solid in Europe at some level, but NBA no chance
mccluskey
Pro Prospect
And1: 620

Post#36 » by mccluskey » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:48 pm

Upperclass wrote:Sura was 6'5 with long arms..

true, just talking play style here - both hyper-athletic combo type guys that are tough as hell with a lot of flash and swagger to their game.

I feel like people saying this kid has no chance at the league might end up surprised. I agree he's not a finished product by any means, but he's improved his game every year and under Beard there've been very visible positive changes in his defense and efficiency. He's not gonna be an All-Star or immediate impact guy, but I think he's got a solid shot to make a team and eventually be a rotation player. He's a top of the food chain elite athlete, quite possibly the most all-around athletic white player I've ever seen (not trying to make this thread racial, just saying - guys that look like him normally don't move anything like him) and is an ultra competitive and aggressive big game, big moment type of guy who doesn't back down from anybody. From all accounts he's extremely coachable with a great work ethic too. Height is a negative but for me height is a less important trait for guard prospects, especially when they're as quick, strong and bouncy as McClung.

I think just based on the athletic profile and work ethic he's got value as a second round flyer or UDFA signing to be a G-League developmental/potential guy, and if he can continue to improve his 3pt shooting over the next couple years, I see an eventual role for him as an instant offense/sparkplug type combo guard off the bench for somebody.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,465

Post#37 » by Mirotic12 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:13 am

bon wrote:Kind of reminds me of Gabe York from a few years back who was hyped for the same things. Ended up not developing the necessary guard skills for his height and is now in Europe. Hopefully McClung turns out better.

Gabe York isn't that good. He's like an OK player for secondary level leagues in Europe. He's not good enough for EuroLeague. There is no reason for him to be a hyped player.

Leslie Forman wrote:I get strong Nemanja Nedovic vibes from him.

I don't see much comparison. McClung is way more athletic, and Nedovic is a far more skilled scorer.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,182

Post#38 » by EvanZ » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:30 am

And people get mad at me for starting threads. LMAO
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#39 » by clyde21 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:33 pm

EvanZ wrote:And people get mad at me for starting threads. LMAO

This is a 3 year old thread

even when you flex you clown yourself :lol:
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,182

Post#40 » by EvanZ » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:00 pm

clyde21 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:And people get mad at me for starting threads. LMAO

This is a 3 year old thread

even when you flex you clown yourself :lol:

It was bad when it started. It's bad now.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.

Return to NBA Draft