Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Ruzious

jman3134
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 524

Santi Aldama 

Post#1 » by jman3134 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:28 am

Another day, another prospect review. This time I am reviewing Santi Aldama and his draft prospects.

In my new segment, 'Diggin' in the Tape', I review the top trending prospects in major college basketball and draft eligible prospects out of the G League. In my first episode, I review Loyola (Md.)'s Santi Aldama, a positionless 6'11 Spanish wing/forward with a versatile offensive toolset. While his team began the season on a covid break and this contributed to their slow start (in addition to playing Lafayette in 6 of their first 10 games), they have picked up steam recently and could be dangerous in a conference tournament scenario. Aldama has performed admirably, showcasing a more consistent stroke from long range to complement his high basketball IQ. In terms of his background, Aldama comes from a basketball family. Santi's father played professionally in Spain and Portugal, and ultimately for the Spanish National Team in the 1992 Olympics in Barcelona. Similarly, his uncle was a professional basketball player in Spain, Portugal, and Italy. Santi cemented his status as an elite prospect at the FIBA U18 European Championships, where he led his Spain team to a gold medal, earning an MVP after averaging 18.0ppg 7.6rpg 2.6apg [2.3bpg 1.9spg and posting the highest plus-minus rating at the event]. These performances placed him squarely on the NBA's radar.

In terms of his evaluation, most of the lure behind Aldama as a pro prospect stems from his intriguing offensive profile, coupled with his good measurables. Standing at 6'11, Santi functions primarily as a wing in Loyola (Md.)'s offense. He possesses excellent straight line quickness - bolstered by nimble feet - and thrives moving without the ball, demonstrating an advanced awareness of floor spacing. As such, Aldama is constantly in motion and he utilizes the threat of his outside shot to backdoor cut on his opponents. After beating his man, Aldama does a nice job finishing either bounce passes or lob plays over the top of the help defender. When he does not finish on these plays, the misses are mainly 'concentration misses', as opposed to instances where he was disrupted by contact.

https://bit.ly/3pI0tXl

What do you all think of him as a prospect? He is definitely rising. I saw him maybe a couple of weeks ago and this has been in the works for a bit.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 52,294

Re: Santi Aldama 

Post#2 » by clyde21 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:34 am

i don't think he's gonna be in this class, but I like him...curious why you're high on Santi tho and not Franz? what do you see is the difference here?
#BLM #FREEPALESTINE

HOLD THE LINE.
jman3134
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by jman3134 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:43 am

clyde21 wrote:i don't think he's gonna be in this class, but I like him...curious why you're high on Santi tho and not Franz? what do you see is the difference here?

I think it is a relative high. I wouldn't draft Santi in the top 10 either. I think he is a bit underrated at the moment - only because he hasn't been mentioned that much. But, that is changing in the last few weeks.

I don't see how he benefits much from staying at Loyola another year. He needs to refine his jumper and the defensive adjustments he needs to make can't be learned playing against Patriot League competition.
Fischella
RealGM
And1: 3,435

Post#4 » by Fischella » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:26 am

I know for a fact that his plan was staying all 4 years, he has made some comments that lead me to believe that he may consider coming out but I think most likely is testing the waters, returning and going mid 1st in 2022

To me he is a lotto level guy, I have him top15
peZt
Rookie
And1: 874

Post#5 » by peZt » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:34 pm

Why the **** did he go to fricking Loyola. Would probably be 10+ spots up in the mocks if he had a half decent team
Hoopz Afrik
Veteran
And1: 1,953

Post#6 » by Hoopz Afrik » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:59 pm

peZt wrote:Why the **** did he go to fricking Loyola. Would probably be 10+ spots up in the mocks if he had a half decent team

I still wonder the same thing. Even as a local guy who loves Baltimore/DMV hoops, I wondered why he chose them over schools Georgetown, UMD, hell even UMBC 8-) . Must have developed one hell of a connection with their staff.
Super Eagles GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
jman3134
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by jman3134 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:34 pm

It isn't just him. Dike and many other internationals signed with Loyola (Md). There is a recruiting connection to that pipeline in Spain. Dike is incredibly raw at this stage.
jman3134
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by jman3134 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:44 pm

Hoopz Afrik wrote:
peZt wrote:Why the **** did he go to fricking Loyola. Would probably be 10+ spots up in the mocks if he had a half decent team

I still wonder the same thing. Even as a local guy who loves Baltimore/DMV hoops, I wondered why he chose them over schools Georgetown, UMD, hell even UMBC 8-) . Must have developed one hell of a connection with their staff.

Santi Aldama: Why the Loyola Greyhounds?
So how does Aldama, who comes from Gran Canaria, and played his entire high school career with the Canterbury Lions end up at the Loyola Greyhounds in Baltimore?

After his performance at the U18 Euros, clubs including Real Madrid and Barcelona were tripping over each other to bring Santi into their setup.

He also had the option of the NBA G-League with the exciting new select team alongside international young guns like Kai Sotto, Jalen Green, Princepal Singh, Isiah Todd and Daishen Nix.

So why Loyola?

"I had options," says Santi, "but I wanted to go to college. Of course, you will never say no to the NBA. Right? But I just don't think that should be like my only my only goal in life."

He studies business management and is interested in entrepreneurship and taking that route after his basketball career.

"I feel like I have to develop myself as a person and study and other things are like, secondary. I will work to be the best player ever, but of course, you got to know what what comes first. I feel like having studies is important. So that's what I chose."

Coach Hardy is impressed by his maturity.

"You know, he cares about school, which, for a lot of basketball players, everyone wants to be a pro. It's hard for 18 to 22 year olds to see that at some point the ball is going to stop bouncing, but Santi sees that.

"And he knows it's not either or. I can be both a pro and get a great education and prepare myself for life after basketball. You don't have to choose between the two. And that's what makes him special. He cares about both. He pursues excellence at both."

"And that's what's gonna make him big time in life, regardless of what he chooses to do."

But there was another big reason why he chose Loyola: "Ivo Simovic," says Santi.

"He made me realise like this was a good option for me, and I really trust him."

Now Loyola's assistant coach, Simovic has an NBA Championship ring from the 2014 season at the San Antonio Spurs where he was assistant coach to Gregg Popovic.

"I would say one of the best decisions I made as a first time head coach was to hire Ivo Simovic," says coach Hardy, "he has an incredible background."

"He's from Serbia. But he spent 10 years coaching in Spain. He's worked in the NBA. He's worked in the NCAA, his relationships and his background are the reasons we were able to find out about Santi and get him here at Loyola."

Simovic knows the Spanish game, and also knows Santi's father.

"So that's why I decided to visit Loyola. I wasn't really sure," is how Santi tells it, "I went on the visit, but I didn't really know what to expect. But when I got there. I saw the campus. I saw everything.

"I talked with Tavaras, with Ivo. I just thought, like, this is the perfect place for me. Like, as soon as I visited and talked to them, I knew that this was the place for me. So I had no doubts."

https://www.olympicchannel.com/en/stories/news/detail/santi-aldama-interview-spain-nba-loyola/
Fischella
RealGM
And1: 3,435

Post#9 » by Fischella » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:09 pm

Hoopz Afrik wrote:

The coach is a former euro player and friendly with Santi's family he also wanted to do a program offered at Loyola, he intended to stay all 4 years and graduate

He obv helped bring Dike and Alonso to the team
Hoopz Afrik
Veteran
And1: 1,953

Post#10 » by Hoopz Afrik » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:39 pm

jman3134 wrote:It isn't just him. Dike and many other internationals signed with Loyola (Md). There is a recruiting connection to that pipeline in Spain. Dike is incredibly raw at this stage.

Yeah. They get a lot of their player from overseas and a local school, Boys Latin.

And thanks for the article. I don't know how I've never seen that.
Super Eagles GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 8,232

Post#11 » by Ruzious » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:05 am

Hoopz Afrik wrote:

Especially Maryland. :) Really bad decision for his NBA career.
"Look, you never know when you may need to borrow a cup of sugar, maybe some milk or a handgun" - Dan C. from Texas

Return to NBA Draft