Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

machu46
RealGM
And1: 3,732

Re: The Trey Burke - Chris Paul Comparison 

Post#101 » by machu46 » Sun Apr 7, 2013 6:33 am

Cammo101 wrote:
jman3134 wrote:
I'd be careful reading too much into today's game. Playing against that Syracuse zone really does not translate to the NBA at all.

However, it helps to mimic NBA players' length and recovery timing which is far superior to what is found at the college level.

True, but in the NBA Burke will be able to drive around these guys. The zone negates that. His game is built on attacking his defender. He spent the first 10 minutes of the game trying and failing to attack right at the zone. After that, he just looked confused and tentative. If the NBA ever played zone defense, I would be a lot more worried about it.

Also, Burke should be given a lot of credit for the job he did defensively on Michael Carter Williams.

Eh, MCW got Burke on his hip pretty easily all game. It was the help defense that really made it difficult for him along with the cheap fouls he picked up.
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#102 » by ManualRam » Sun Apr 7, 2013 6:42 am

Both had crappy games. Burke's defense was really good though. Solid man and was disruptive off the ball...and Michigan played man all game. MCW really did nothing 1 on 1 vs Burke.
'Cuse couldn't get any transition buckets, which means MCW couldn't get out to run. That's where he does the most of his damage. Put him in the halfcourt and he's far less effective.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,019

Post#103 » by Dark Faze » Sun Apr 7, 2013 1:02 pm

Burkes been terrible over the tournament.
Jazzfan12
Assistant Coach
And1: 213

Post#104 » by Jazzfan12 » Sun Apr 7, 2013 4:26 pm

I want to believe in Burke as a star, but that game last night showed off again how small and slow he is. He's not going to be able to score in the paint in the NBA and I don't think he'll be able to get past guys easily enough to become a great playmaker.

He'll be good, but I think the CP3 comparisons are really off and that he could end up top 5 is not a good sign for this draft.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,700

Post#105 » by Doctor MJ » Sun Apr 7, 2013 6:14 pm

Jazzfan12 wrote:I want to believe in Burke as a star, but that game last night showed off again how small and slow he is. He's not going to be able to score in the paint in the NBA and I don't think he'll be able to get past guys easily enough to become a great playmaker.

He'll be good, but I think the CP3 comparisons are really off and that he could end up top 5 is not a good sign for this draft.

I'm definitely not going to say last night made me optimistic, but mostly what I saw from him was not him trying and physically failing, it was him just standing there. I can't how many passes he was involved with at the beginning of a possession that had no strategic value. It felt like him saying "well, I'm not sure what to do, you wanna try?" which was followed by the other guy responding "don't look at me". This wasn't everybody of course. Hardaway responded with "give me the ball and I'll shoot it from anywhere"...and then there was McGary who actually looked like he was ahead of everyone else and just scratching the surface.

Anyway, obviously if Burke can't get to a point where he can respond to all defensive coverage with a clear strategy that's a huge problem, but do we really think he'd have been so indecisive if he'd played defenses like this all year?
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,309

Post#106 » by jman3134 » Sun Apr 7, 2013 6:19 pm

^ Doc, you are absolutely right. This was his first time seeing the Syracuse zone. Tough to draw too many conclusions from one game given how amazing he has been in this tournament. Burke looks like the best point guard prospect in this draft.
Jazzfan12
Assistant Coach

Post#107 » by Jazzfan12 » Sun Apr 7, 2013 6:36 pm

I'm definitely not going to say last night made me optimistic, but mostly what I saw from him was not him trying and physically failing, it was him just standing there. I can't how many passes he was involved with at the beginning of a possession that had no strategic value. It felt like him saying "well, I'm not sure what to do, you wanna try?" which was followed by the other guy responding "don't look at me". This wasn't everybody of course. Hardaway responded with "give me the ball and I'll shoot it from anywhere"...and then there was McGary who actually looked like he was ahead of everyone else and just scratching the surface.

Right the Syracuse zone was a weird thing that hindered him more than a normal defense would and he won't see that again, but it just reminded me of some of the stuff from him that was really underwhelming from a physical aspect in Big 10 play.

jman3134 wrote:^ Doc, you are absolutely right. This was his first time seeing the Syracuse zone. Tough to draw too many conclusions from one game given how amazing he has been in this tournament. Burke looks like the best point guard prospect in this draft.

He's shooting 32% from the field in the tournament.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#108 » by jman3134 » Sun Apr 7, 2013 6:43 pm

Okay, but players and their future are not measured by shooting percentages necessarily. After not showing up in the first half at all, it's hard to deny that Burke's performance against Kansas was anything short of amazing.

For example, Burke has provided a lot of leadership, controlled pace, and made his teammates better. After turning the ball over against VCU, Burke has posted 10 Assists to 4 Turnovers, 7 Assists to 1 Turnover, and 4 Assists to 1 Turnover in consecutive games. There's more to being a point guard than scoring.
Jazzfan12
Assistant Coach

Post#109 » by Jazzfan12 » Tue Apr 9, 2013 3:52 am

That was an impressive game for Burke against great athletes.
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,550

Post#110 » by ComboGuardCity » Tue Apr 9, 2013 4:03 am

Jazzfan12 wrote:That was an impressive game for Burke against great athletes.

You mean the 6' back court?
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#111 » by Doctor MJ » Tue Apr 9, 2013 4:06 am

He showed quite a lot today as someone who can create for himself, he really though doesn't seem like he's playing like a top rate distributor though.

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#112 » by Doctor MJ » Tue Apr 9, 2013 4:08 am

ComboGuardCity wrote:

Now you're just looking for reasons to complain. Burke showed today he was able to contort his way up and around a guy like Dieng. How can you not have noted that?

Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,889

Post#113 » by Roger Murdock » Tue Apr 9, 2013 4:11 am

He was getting wherever he wanted against a great defensive team. I think on my board he would be in the second tier of prospects behind Noel with Porter and McElmore as the next best guys.

Mini-Kyrie Irving. Reminds me more of Kyrie than any player in this draft reminds me of anyone else.
Eoghan
RealGM
And1: 3,293

Post#114 » by Eoghan » Tue Apr 9, 2013 4:32 am

3 assists to 4 turnovers in the biggest game of the year. That's definitively not Chris Paul-like.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#115 » by jman3134 » Tue Apr 9, 2013 4:58 am

Offensively, he kept his team in the game at the end. He's not Chris Paul, but he doesn't have to be.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#116 » by Doctor MJ » Tue Apr 9, 2013 6:11 am

jman3134 wrote:Offensively, he kept his team in the game at the end. He's not Chris Paul, but he doesn't have to be.

Well I have to be honest. To me guys under 6 feet tall live & die in the NBA largely on their distribution ability, so when I see a guy at the college level abandon that rule rather quickly I start to worry. I'm not completely sold on Burke...but I do think a lot of the athleticism criticism of Burke seem rather absurd. I don't see problems with his ability to drive, or his ability to work his body to get a decent shot off, or his ability to draw fouls, and my lord that block was awesome.

MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,301

Post#117 » by MrBigShot » Tue Apr 9, 2013 6:32 am

ComboGuardCity wrote:

Siva is a good athlete. Louiville's defense was top notch and he was able to get to the basket consistently and remained composed during their press. You'll hate on him regardless of his play, though.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
mmistras
Banned User
And1: 5

Post#118 » by mmistras » Tue Apr 9, 2013 3:01 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
ComboGuardCity wrote:

Now you're just looking for reasons to complain. Burke showed today he was able to contort his way up and around a guy like Dieng. How can you not have noted that?
He's looking for reasons to complain? You've been looking for excuses to make up for his bad play for the last 4 pages of this thread. Try to be a little objective
Inigo_Montoya
Pro Prospect
And1: 42

Post#119 » by Inigo_Montoya » Tue Apr 9, 2013 3:41 pm

This is something that was brought up on the Kings board. How does Burke compare to Isaiah Thomas? I see a whole lot of similarities between them. Similar floor? Similar ceiling?
BaunceyChillups
Sixth Man
And1: 317

Post#120 » by BaunceyChillups » Tue Apr 9, 2013 3:48 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
jman3134 wrote:Offensively, he kept his team in the game at the end. He's not Chris Paul, but he doesn't have to be.

Well I have to be honest. To me guys under 6 feet tall live & die in the NBA largely on their distribution ability, so when I see a guy at the college level abandon that rule rather quickly I start to worry. I'm not completely sold on Burke...but I do think a lot of the athleticism criticism of Burke seem rather absurd. I don't see problems with his ability to drive, or his ability to work his body to get a decent shot off, or his ability to draw fouls, and my lord that block was awesome.

Burke has a 3.1 assist to turnover ratio this year, one game where he decided to score more doesn't somehow negate that.

Return to NBA Draft