Kentucky prospects (Johnson, Hagans, Washington, Herro...)

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Re: Kentucky prospects (Johnson, Hagans, Washington, Herro...) 

Post#161 » by Stillwater » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:31 pm

Catchall wrote:My concerns with PJ are his speed and mobility out on the perimeter where he'll need to play at the next level, and also how much he can create off the dribble. Can he be Paul Millsap or is he a somewhat better version of Mo Harkless? His athleticism may be pretty average for the NBA.

don't agree with this at all. he can be a cross between Thad Young and Marvin Bagley in time imo.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,228

Post#162 » by doordoor123 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:56 am

Stillwater wrote:
Catchall wrote:My concerns with PJ are his speed and mobility out on the perimeter where he'll need to play at the next level, and also how much he can create off the dribble. Can he be Paul Millsap or is he a somewhat better version of Mo Harkless? His athleticism may be pretty average for the NBA.

don't agree with this at all. he can be a cross between Thad Young and Marvin Bagley in time imo.

I think that’s a pretty solid comparison. I don’t see him as an all-star type, but I think he can be a good contributor on a winning team like Thad Young. And while he plays differently than Bagley, he has the same kind of natural instinct in the post.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,302

Post#163 » by clyde21 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:59 am

he has better length and is a better outside shooter than Bagley

Bagley is obviously the better athlete

---

side note: I was impressed by Keldon today. i think we saw glimpses of what his role will be in the NBA today as he got a lot of transition opportunities which is where he kind of excels vs. the half-court
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#164 » by Stillwater » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:30 am

clyde21 wrote:he has better length and is a better outside shooter than Bagley

Bagley is obviously the better athlete

---

side note: I was impressed by Keldon today. i think we saw glimpses of what his role will be in the NBA today as he got a lot of transition opportunities which is where he kind of excels vs. the half-court

Yeah Johnson showed a little extra something today...looked hungry
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,348

Post#165 » by Catchall » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:54 am

The best comp I've heard for PJ is David West. He's not going to bully guys in the post like he does in the NCAA and he's going to need to create a bit off the dribble.

Keldon is a nice 2/3 who can get downhill and plays defense. He has a definite role and starter potential.

Herro needs to play in a system that spaces the floor and moves the ball. It won't work if he has to put the ball down to create looks. He can be a nice release-valve shooter and ball mover like a Marco Belinelli.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
kobyz
Rookie
And1: 277

Post#166 » by kobyz » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:53 am

Best comparison I can think of for PJ is Antwan Jamison...
Keldon reminds me a cross between Allan Houston and Rip Hamilton...
Herro plays a lot like Buddy Hield
clyde21
RealGM

Post#167 » by clyde21 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:16 am

Catchall wrote:The best comp I've heard for PJ is David West. He's not going to bully guys in the post like he does in the NCAA and he's going to need to create a bit off the dribble.

Keldon is a nice 2/3 who can get downhill and plays defense. He has a definite role and starter potential.

Herro needs to play in a system that spaces the floor and moves the ball. It won't work if he has to put the ball down to create looks. He can be a nice release-valve shooter and ball mover like a Marco Belinelli.

Herro has proven time and time he can create off the dribble tho
Catchall
RealGM

Post#168 » by Catchall » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:24 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Catchall wrote:The best comp I've heard for PJ is David West. He's not going to bully guys in the post like he does in the NCAA and he's going to need to create a bit off the dribble.

Let's see what he looks like against NBA defenders. The speed and physicality of the game change. Guys like JJ Redick, Nik Stauskas, Luke Kennard, etc. have to adjust.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
clyde21
RealGM

Post#169 » by clyde21 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:45 pm

Catchall wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Let's see what he looks like against NBA defenders. The speed and physicality of the game change. Guys like JJ Redick, Nik Stauskas, Luke Kennard, etc. have to adjust.

you're just comparing him to a bunch of white guys and calling it a day...weak analysis
Catchall
RealGM

Post#170 » by Catchall » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:49 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Catchall wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

you're just comparing him to a bunch of white guys and calling it a day...weak analysis

They're guys with similar physical profiles, perimeter games and impact at the college level.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
clyde21
RealGM

Post#171 » by clyde21 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:54 pm

Catchall wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Catchall wrote:

They're guys with similar physical profiles, perimeter games and impact at the college level.

since when can Nik Stauskas do this?

Read on Twitter
Catchall
RealGM

Post#172 » by Catchall » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:41 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Catchall wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Read on Twitter

That's a side-step and a 15' jumper. Lots of guys can do that. For Herro, the bigger question will be who he can guard.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
916fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#173 » by 916fan » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:47 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Catchall wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Read on Twitter

Stauskas was the better ball handler and creator than Herro at Michigan. I think some people forget how good he was as a prospect.. he was a mini-version of Gordon Hayward(Utah Jazz) at UM.. but he's completely busted because he could never adjust to how physical the NBA was.

Herro will face a similar circumstance, so it's not completely uncalled for.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#174 » by clyde21 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:48 pm

Catchall wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Catchall wrote:

Read on Twitter

That's a side-step and a 15' jumper. Lots of guys can do that. For Herro, the bigger question will be who he can guard.

you didn't compare him to 'lots of guys', you compared him to Stauskas.
Catchall
RealGM

Post#175 » by Catchall » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:39 pm

He has a few side-steps and step-backs. There's a step back at the end -- 3:40. He's 6'6", 207 lbs with a 6'8" wingspan. He shot 44% from 3-pt as both a freshman and soph.

He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
RipCity71252
Pro Prospect
And1: 194

Post#176 » by RipCity71252 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:55 am

Catchall wrote:He has a few side-steps and step-backs. There's a step back at the end -- 3:40. He's 6'6", 207 lbs with a 6'8" wingspan. He shot 44% from 3-pt as both a freshman and soph.

37% as a freshman, 44% as a sophomore.

But anyways, here's my 2 cents on the Herro vs Stauskas debate.

First off, Herro is a much better team defender and just smarter, more alert and competitive overall defensively. Also think his footwork, balance and release point will make him more effective and versatile both as an off movement and off the dribble shooter. Quicker and smarter decision maker whereas Nik has always had the habit of trying to do too much offensively at times and ruin the flow of possessions.

Nik's handle, size and more slashing style gave him more perceived upside, but think Tyler's strengths and IQ on offense and better team defense translate cleaner into a secondary/tertiary role in lineups on a good team.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#177 » by clyde21 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:21 am

Catchall wrote:He has a few side-steps and step-backs. There's a step back at the end -- 3:40. He's 6'6", 207 lbs with a 6'8" wingspan. He shot 44% from 3-pt as both a freshman and soph.

1) you literally just proved they're not really comparable.

2) Stauskas doesn't have the on-ball prowess that Herro has and never did...and that includes a quick first step and ability to be a secondary ball handler.

3) i'm not sure what Stauskas' failure in the NBA has to do with Herro. That's like saying Zion will have trouble in the NBA because Anthony Bennett did.

the only player you mentioned that really compares to Herro is Kennard, and Herro is just better overall.
Catchall
RealGM

Post#178 » by Catchall » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:10 am

clyde21 wrote:

2) Stauskas doesn't have the on-ball prowess that Herro has and never did...and that includes a quick first step and ability to be a secondary ball handler.

3) i'm not sure what Stauskas' failure in the NBA has to do with Herro. That's like saying Zion will have trouble in the NBA because Anthony Bennett did.

the only player you mentioned that really compares to Herro is Kennard, and Herro is just better overall.

You're changing the subject. You asked if Stauskas could shoot side-step jumpers off the dribble. I'm showing you highlights where he made tougher plays. Shooting a side-step jumper isn't a big deal.

Stauskas was a high-usage player who played a similar or even more involved role for his team at Michigan. He was known as a potent shooter and initiator and was the Big10 POTY as a sophomore. Herro and Stauskas have similar physical profiles.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/nik-stauskas-1.html

I'm not saying Herro will fail as a pro, but part of the question is how he'll be used and how he adjusts. That applies to every player, but especially to thin wing shooters who are average athletes by NBA standards.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
clyde21
RealGM

Post#179 » by clyde21 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:32 am

Catchall wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

You're changing the subject. You asked if Stauskas could shoot side-step jumpers off the dribble. I'm showing you highlights where he made tougher plays. Shooting a side-step jumper isn't a big deal.

Stauskas was a high-usage player who played a similar or even more involved role for his team at Michigan. He was known as a potent shooter and initiator and was the Big10 POTY as a sophomore. Herro and Stauskas have similar physical profiles.

I'm not saying Herro will fail as a pro, but part of the question is how he'll be used and how he adjusts. That applies to every player, but especially to thin wing shooters who are average athletes by NBA standards.

No I didn't. I said 'can Stauskas do this'. I said nothing about 'side-step'. I was talking about the entire sequence, from the first step, to the handle, to the fadeway baseline J. That's not in Stauskas game...at least not as good as Herro consistently makes those plays.

Also, again, these two guys are nothing a like. You could've listed a hundred players who are more similar to Herro than Stauskas but u just decided to lump a bunch of white players together.

Stauskas is bigger/longer, but Herro is stronger, faster, has a better dribble and is a better passer. They're not really alike at all honestly other both being good college shooters...
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,228

Post#180 » by doordoor123 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:05 am

clyde21 wrote:
Catchall wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

No I didn't. I said 'can Stauskas do this'. I said nothing about 'side-step'. I was talking about the entire sequence, from the first step, to the handle, to the fadeway baseline J. That's not in Stauskas game...at least not as good as Herro consistently makes those plays.

Also, again, these two guys are nothing a like. You could've listed a hundred players who are more similar to Herro than Stauskas but u just decided to lump a bunch of white players together.

Stauskas is bigger/longer, but Herro is stronger, faster, has a better dribble and is a better passer. They're not really alike at all honestly other both being good college shooters...

Better dribble? Bwahahaha! Even talking about either of their handle is ridiculous. Neither of them have a good handle. Herro juggles the ball so much when he even drives to the basket. He barely has control. At least Stauskas can do that. Herro has no skill dribbling the ball. First off, he has a high handle, doesn’t even get low. It’s a problem. Second, he literally has no dribble moves. He can pivot and step back, but actually dribbling the ball, no way. A lot of his baskets come from his quick release and his ability to shoot when he’s in a sticky situation because of his release. But dribbling the ball? Bwhahaha! :lol:

Return to NBA Draft