nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,941

Re: Cam Whitmore 

Post#161 » by nate33 » Tue Jun 6, 2023 4:22 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:
The Moose wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:I really think the Rockets should take Whitmore at 4 over Amen Thompson. I'd be offering 4 for 6 and 11. Maybe Whitmore slips to 6. I doubt it but it's worth a try if you're not sold on Amen and the Magic are motivated to trade up for a PG. If Harden is the next PG for 3-4 years, you really have to think about the Magic.

I think there is a good chance he goes 4, if not I think Detroit would take him

My next question is, if Whitmore goes 4, how far does Amen Thompson fall? Pistons shouldn't take him 5 with their backcourt set and with questions about the level of competition he faced. Forget about his nonexistent shot. You might be better off pulling Tyreke Evans out of retirement.

Do the Magic take Amen Thompson 6? Their fans seem to think he overlaps with Fultz. Some seem to prefer a spacer at PG. Pacers at 7? With Haliburton and Mathurin? I don't think so.

Maybe Danny Ainge packages 9 & 16 to move up to 6? But then the Magic have three rookies needing minutes at 9, 11 and 16 while competing for the play-in?

Rockets could really break Amen Thompson. He's going 4 in most mocks but I see him easily dropping to 8. Wizards definitely could use a player like him and he'd benefit from spacing alongside Beal. He'd provide that rim pressure absent when John Wall became injured.

Washington is also a good fit for Amen because they have Porzingis who can space out from the 5.

They'd probably need to move Avdija though. Amen and Avdija would play the same role, and Amen does it better.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,439

Post#162 » by MasterIchiro » Tue Jun 6, 2023 4:26 pm

nate33 wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:
The Moose wrote:
I think there is a good chance he goes 4, if not I think Detroit would take him

My next question is, if Whitmore goes 4, how far does Amen Thompson fall? Pistons shouldn't take him 5 with their backcourt set and with questions about the level of competition he faced. Forget about his nonexistent shot. You might be better off pulling Tyreke Evans out of retirement.

Do the Magic take Amen Thompson 6? Their fans seem to think he overlaps with Fultz. Some seem to prefer a spacer at PG. Pacers at 7? With Haliburton and Mathurin? I don't think so.

Maybe Danny Ainge packages 9 & 16 to move up to 6? But then the Magic have three rookies needing minutes at 9, 11 and 16 while competing for the play-in?

Rockets could really break Amen Thompson. He's going 4 in most mocks but I see him easily dropping to 8. Wizards definitely could use a player like him and he'd benefit from spacing alongside Beal. He'd provide that rim pressure absent when John Wall became injured.

Washington is also a good fit for Amen because they have Porzingis who can space out from the 5.

They'd probably need to move Avdija though. Amen and Avdija would play the same role, and Amen does it better.

Yeah, and Avdija is about to become less valuable with a pay raise due in restricted free agency. Amen comps with Rondo. With the right fit, he can be lead playmaker for a contender. Good point about Porzingis contributing to the fit there in addition to Beal. I would not be shocked to see the Wizards end up with Amen at 8. But I'm higher on Whitmore than most. I would consider him as early as pick 3, and certainly 4. I have him ahead of Amen. I'm lower on Amen than most.
It has been written...
Kalamazoo317
Analyst
And1: 1,509

Post#163 » by Kalamazoo317 » Tue Jun 6, 2023 6:48 pm

If Amen drops to 5, I hope my Pistons can convince someone to trade up for him.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,997

Post#164 » by basketballRob » Tue Jun 6, 2023 7:54 pm

Kalamazoo317 wrote:If Amen drops to 5, I hope my Pistons can convince someone to trade up for him.
I hope the Pistons take him because I don't want him on the Magic.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,980

Post#165 » by RookieStar » Tue Jun 6, 2023 9:25 pm

basketballRob wrote:
Kalamazoo317 wrote:If Amen drops to 5, I hope my Pistons can convince someone to trade up for him.

I think even if he is available to us, we still pick someone else...
Kalamazoo317
Analyst
And1: 1,509

Post#166 » by Kalamazoo317 » Wed Jun 7, 2023 12:51 am

basketballRob wrote:

Yeah, I'm not into the Thompson twins either.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,244

Post#167 » by EvanZ » Fri Jun 9, 2023 2:05 pm

Curious what makes Cam a significantly better or even different prospect from Kuminga?

Kuminga is clearly a better athlete to me. Also bigger.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,633

Post#168 » by Hal14 » Fri Jun 9, 2023 2:16 pm

EvanZ wrote:Curious what makes Cam a significantly better or even different prospect from Kuminga?

Trying to sh*t on a prospect (who's projected to go somewhere around 7th) by comparing him to a prospect who did go 7th is weird, imo.

Oh and Cam was a much better shooter as a prospect.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#169 » by EvanZ » Fri Jun 9, 2023 2:30 pm

Hal14 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:Curious what makes Cam a significantly better or even different prospect from Kuminga?

Trying to sh*t on a prospect (who's projected to go somewhere around 7th) by comparing him to a prospect who did go 7th is weird, imo.

Oh and Cam was a much better shooter as a prospect.

Is he? I mean you really believe in Cam's shooting?

Also, bro, you're the one "****" on a prospect here. I am just asking a legit question. If you think comparing him to Kuminga is **** on him, you're just telling us you think Kuminga is super ****.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 8,006

Post#170 » by K_chile22 » Fri Jun 9, 2023 3:31 pm

Well Kuminga did go in Cams projected range and a draft that was deep at the top. Think I liked Kuminga more coming out but still have a Cam in the 5-8 range. Feel a lot better about Cam's shot from 3 but Kuminga was a lot more of a functional athlete
EvanZ
RealGM

Cam Whitmore 

Post#171 » by EvanZ » Fri Jun 9, 2023 3:45 pm

Cam’s top range is 4. I had Kuminga at 9 and Whitmore around 13 right now.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,633

Post#172 » by Hal14 » Fri Jun 9, 2023 5:35 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
deepeeenn
Senior
And1: 522

Post#173 » by deepeeenn » Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:19 am

Can anyone compare and contrast Whitmore from Justise Winslow out of Duke? I know they aren’t entirely the same but very similar physical profiles. Some comparable skillsets
Being a Blazer fan isn't exactly healthy.
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,571

Post#174 » by jezzerinho » Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:07 am

I know he's young and maybe he could have had a better college team and scheme fit, but I find it hard to get over the fact that Whitmore is out there trying to play 1v5 a lot of the time and the effort level when he doesn't have the ball is markedly different to when he has it.

The talent is undeniable. The mentality is so questionable that there's genuine bust potential there, imo.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 22,004

Post#175 » by MotownMadness » Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:47 am

jezzerinho wrote:I know he's young and maybe he could have had a better college team and scheme fit, but I find it hard to get over the fact that Whitmore is out there trying to play 1v5 a lot of the time and the effort level when he doesn't have the ball is markedly different to when he has it.

The talent is undeniable. The mentality is so questionable that there's genuine bust potential there, imo.

He does seem to play like that. Watching him just take it inside with tunnel vision trying to throw up contested shots instead of kicking it out is frightening
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#176 » by basketballRob » Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:31 am

I think Whitmore being selfish would be more concerning if he was 1-2 years older. I gave him the pass because he was 18 for the entire season.

Him breaking his shooting hand in the preseason meant that his missed all the fundamentals training he would've got at Villanova in the preseason. I'm sure he had to sit out most of the drills until his hand completely healed.

jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,571

Post#177 » by jezzerinho » Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:24 pm

basketballRob wrote:I think Whitmore being selfish would be more concerning if he was 1-2 years older. I gave him the pass because he was 18 for the entire season.

Him breaking his shooting hand in the preseason meant that his missed all the fundamentals training he would've got at Villanova in the preseason. I'm sure he had to sit out most of the drills until his hand completely healed.

Even taking that into consideration, I'm a sceptic. Not to the point of writing him off or anything, but I think where he lands will hugely affect his outcome.

His effort level when he's on the perimeter is disappointing, even on offense. You'd expect
him to be engaged, feet set and hands ready for a pass. At the very least, defenses would then have to account for him. Instead, he just kind of hangs out, shuffling around till someone swings it his way. He makes the odd baseline cut, but he's rarely presenting a picture to defences of a guy who needs attention.

He will occasionally pass put of the blind alleys he can find himself in, but even having collapsed the defence, his outlet pass is just a pitch to the nearest body. His quality of passing can leave a lot to be desired too.

He strikes me as a guy who only takes pride in drives to the rim. The rest he coasts through. At 18 and a top recruit through various age groups already, some of that is understandable. Some of it is evidence of a me-first attitude.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#178 » by basketballRob » Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:29 pm

jezzerinho wrote:
basketballRob wrote:I think Whitmore being selfish would be more concerning if he was 1-2 years older. I gave him the pass because he was 18 for the entire season.

Even taking that into consideration, I'm a sceptic. Not to the point of writing him off or anything, but I think where he lands will hugely affect his outcome.

His effort level when he's on the perimeter is disappointing, even on offense. You'd expect
him to be engaged, feet set and hands ready for a pass. At the very least, defenses would then have to account for him. Instead, he just kind of hangs out, shuffling around till someone swings it his way. He makes the odd baseline cut, but he's rarely presenting a picture to defences of a guy who needs attention.

He will occasionally pass put of the blind alleys he can find himself in, but even having collapsed the defence, his outlet pass is just a pitch to the nearest body. His quality of passing can leave a lot to be desired too.

He strikes me as a guy who only takes pride in drives to the rim. The rest he coasts through. At 18 and a top recruit through various age groups already, some of that is understandable. Some of it is evidence of a me-first attitude.
Even Anthony Edwards had red flag concerns before he was drafted.

Wembanyama could be prone to injury. Scoot can't finish at the rim. Miller has a bad attitude. Amen, can't shoot or run an NBA offense.

mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,414

Post#179 » by mattao313 » Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:43 pm

deepeeenn wrote:Can anyone compare and contrast Whitmore from Justise Winslow out of Duke? I know they aren’t entirely the same but very similar physical profiles. Some comparable skillsets
I don't see the comparison Winslow was a much better passer and playmaker but he was stuck to the ground compared to Whitmore who is just on another level, as his athleticism is much more functional. I also buy Whitmore shot more as even tho Winslow shot better from 3 his form was completely broken.

Sent from my SM-A528B using RealGM mobile app
Championships
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#180 » by EvanZ » Thu Jun 15, 2023 1:03 pm

I was thinking about Jason Richardson as a comp.

Return to NBA Draft