Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,309

Re: Scottie Barnes 

Post#181 » by clyde21 » Fri Nov 5, 2021 4:15 pm

God Squad wrote:
MemphisX wrote: I must really suck at evaluating prospects, because his development or NBA game compared to college has be perplexed.

nah, the rate of development for dudes Barnes age, both physically and mentally, is pretty ridiculous, sometimes it's hard to gauge, one off-season can make a huge difference when you're that young and none of us can see the work they're doing behind the cameras.

Marcus is Barnes' #1 guy and even hes surprised at the offensive leap he's made since Florida St...development is not linear sometimes, especially for these young cats.

that's why u can't comp young dudes like Barnes and Kuminga to 'older dudes' like Mitchell and Duarte who are most likely close to their primes developmentally.
916fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Re: Scottie Barnes 

Post#182 » by 916fan » Sat Nov 6, 2021 8:40 am

clyde21 wrote:
God Squad wrote:
MemphisX wrote: I must really suck at evaluating prospects, because his development or NBA game compared to college has be perplexed.

nah, the rate of development for dudes Barnes age, both physically and mentally, is pretty ridiculous, sometimes it's hard to gauge, one off-season can make a huge difference when you're that young and none of us can see the work they're doing behind the cameras.

Marcus is Barnes' #1 guy and even hes surprised at the offensive leap he's made since Florida St...development is not linear sometimes, especially for these young cats.

that's why u can't comp young dudes like Barnes and Kuminga to 'older dudes' like Mitchell and Duarte who are most likely close to their primes developmentally.

I don't think it's fair to put a cap at player's development because of their age. It should be more of a skills/athleticism point of view. This means also taking a look at how a player progressed while in college. While I do agree that older guys are closer to their prime, I think the trends of older players excelling their expectations should question that train of thought. Recent players that come to mind are De'Andre Hunter, Rui Hachimura, Mikal Bridges, Kyle Kuzma, Dillon Brooks, and of course, Pascal Siakam.

I don't think you can really compare guards to forwards as well, so a better comp is going to be Jalen Suggs vs. Davion Mitchell. Or Jalen Green vs. Chris Duarte.

I think a lot of us (myself included) like to think of player development as a linear growth, but we know that it's not the case for everyone. When we compare more polished players vs. less polished players, we tend to do it in the form of Davion Mitchell at 23 now, vs. Jalen Suggs "POTENTIALLY" at 23. But that "potential" is all hypothetical.

Bringing the argument back to Barnes, I honestly think it has a lot to do with the Raptors' player development. If you put Scottie Barnes on other teams, they'd probably mis-use him or under-use him. With that being said, he's an incredible talent and I didn't see this coming from him so early. I don't think anyone did. Teams need to poach the Raptors' guys because it's just unfair at this point.

Return to NBA Draft