Klay Thompson Is The Most Underrated Prospect On The Planet

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,454

Re: Klay Thompson Is The Most Underrated Prospect On The Planet 

Post#21 » by vincecarter4pres » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:00 am

He's basically the exact opposite to James Anderson in every way possible.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,094

Post#22 » by shangrila » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:30 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:He's basically the exact opposite to James Anderson in every way possible.

You've got to be kidding.

James Anderson: 34mpg, 22.3ppg, 45.7% from the field on 15FGA, 34.1% from deep on 6.6 attempts, 81% from FT on 7.8 attempts, 5.8rpg, 2.4apg, 2.4TOs
Klay Thompson: 34.7mpg, 21.6ppg, 43.6% from the field on 16.2FGAs, 39.8% from deep on 7.2 attempts, 83.8% from FT on 5.4 attampts, 5.2rpg, 3.7apg, 3.4TOs

Both are primarily shooters who play poor defence. They're not the exact freaking same, but saying they're different "in every way possible" is just (Please Use More Appropriate Word).
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#23 » by vincecarter4pres » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:59 pm

No see, you're just comparing two completely opposite players strictly with numbers.

Klay Thompson is tremendously more then "primarily a shooter who play's poor defense."
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,167

Post#24 » by Snidely FC » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:48 pm

I like Klay Thompson but . . .

I'm not sure athletic is the right word. In the NBA, athletic is Derrick Rose, superstrong and explosive. In those terms, KT isn't very strong or explosive. I agree with comparisons to Kevin Martin. I also think of Stephen Curry. They use body control to make moves, which is athletic, but not NBA explosive. They're still phenomenal offensive players who use BBIQ in addition to body control to score at will, but physically Martin and Curry are the exception not the rule.

If you DO read the draft sites, the knock against KT is he tails off in conference play because the Ds hone in on him. He might get less of this in the NBA where he won't be as much a focus. But if you look at '11 numbers, he ranked #34 in Offensive Efficiency, just behind Shelvin Mack, and he was not in the top 100 +/- player as many of the top prospects were.

Also, the marijuana possession makes any team nervous. He apologized at mid-court, but still, can't help.
Point-God
Banned User
And1: 8

Post#25 » by Point-God » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:01 pm

It was reported years ago that over 80% of the NBA spokes marijuana. I'm not concerned at all with a user that obviously has a work ethic and skills. I'm more concerned when it's a guy who is an athletic talent that is mostly potential.

Anyway, Allan Houston as a prospect is the guy I think Klay Thompson plays most like.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bff5GfR7awc[/youtube]
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,167

Post#26 » by Snidely FC » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:41 pm

GMs have to care about who gets caught. They're not always drafting on talent alone. Imagine, for example, POR is on the clock. They want to draft Thompson. His Dad was a Blazer. What a great story. But wait, aren't they trying to get away from the Jailblazer thing? Are fans gonna buy his jersey? Just saying, you were looking for reasons why he's underrated . . .
Point-God
Banned User

Post#27 » by Point-God » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:08 pm

Snidely FC wrote:GMs have to care about who gets caught. They're not always drafting on talent alone. Imagine, for example, POR is on the clock. They want to draft Thompson. His Dad was a Blazer. What a great story. But wait, aren't they trying to get away from the Jailblazer thing? Are fans gonna buy his jersey? Just saying, you were looking for reasons why he's underrated . . .

This thread was posted far before his weed incident back when he was considered a 2nd round pick in the most popular mock drafts. Now those same mock drafts have him as a 1st round pick. He's currently valued how I believed he should have been valued before I posted the thread.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#28 » by vincecarter4pres » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:21 am

He's got a really nice handle and playmaking ability too, but he's a little too ball dominant and can go into black hole mode.

I think he has a lot of prime Mike Miller or even Joe Johnson to his game.
shangrila
RealGM

Post#29 » by shangrila » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:45 am

Joe Johnson? Right.
Point-God
Banned User

Post#30 » by Point-God » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:41 am

shangrila wrote:Joe Johnson? Right.

I know what you mean, but Joe Johnson wasn't exactly Joe Johnson coming out of Arkansas and getting traded out of Boston during his rookie season.

I can't believe Joe Johnson weighed 225lbs coming out of college
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/nba/01dr ... ohnson.htm
shangrila
RealGM

Post#31 » by shangrila » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:17 am

Difference is that he has quickness that Thompson doesn't.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#32 » by vincecarter4pres » Sun May 1, 2011 5:42 am

shangrila wrote:Difference is that he has quickness that Thompson doesn't.

Thompson is slow?

And Joe Johnson is really quick?

Style wise they're a ton more similar when you're comparing him to James Anderson, who is like a poor man's Kevin Martin, a shooter with suspect handle, no real passing or playmaking ability, who still manages to draw a lot of fouls. One dimensional.
shangrila
RealGM

Post#33 » by shangrila » Sun May 1, 2011 8:13 am

Thompson is slower than Joe Johnson, yes, although I'll give you neither of them are Dwyane Wade.

And Anderson was a shooter who spent a hell of a lot of time running off screens, I don't see the Martin comparison.

AND and, Thompson averaged almost as many turnovers as he did assists. So "playmaker" he is not.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#34 » by vincecarter4pres » Sun May 1, 2011 9:01 pm

shangrila wrote:AND and, Thompson averaged almost as many turnovers as he did assists. So "playmaker" he is not.

This doesn't equate to non-playmaker.

Again, you're box score watching.

I'm not even coming flat out and saying you haven't watched him play, I just think you made a flawed statement and you're sticking to it because you don't want to cave.

Klay has a very nice handle, solid court vision and a lot of ability to create for himself and others off the dribble.

He was a first option that was focused on, but more importantly has bouts of tunnel vision and poor decision making, but that doesn't take away from his abilities, it just brings into question if he can develop into a more efficient player and if he can ever be a go to option type or if he'll fade into obscurity or adapt to another role.

He's also good off the ball though, especially as a shooter, so even if he doesn't live up to the kind of expectations others and I put forth, if he can conform, he can be a contributor more along the lines of what you're comparing him to.

But as of now, he style is the complete opposite of James Anderson and other players of similar mode, it's a terrible comparison style wise in my humble opinion.
shangrila
RealGM

Post#35 » by shangrila » Mon May 2, 2011 12:57 am

I'm talking about how he'll go in the NBA. He might have played like Joe Johnson in college, but he doesn't have the quickness to translate those skills to the pros.

THAT's why I compared him to James Anderson, because they're likely to end up with the same roles in the NBA: shooters who struggle defensively. Maybe Thompson moves the ball a little better but there won't be a huge difference between the two.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#36 » by vincecarter4pres » Mon May 2, 2011 6:22 am

shangrila wrote:I'm talking about how he'll go in the NBA. He might have played like Joe Johnson in college, but he doesn't have the quickness to translate those skills to the pros.

THAT's why I compared him to James Anderson, because they're likely to end up with the same roles in the NBA: shooters who struggle defensively. Maybe Thompson moves the ball a little better but there won't be a huge difference between the two.

James Anderson didn't even play much at all, so trying to claim you were comparing Thompson to a NBA Anderson doesn't seem on the up and up, and if you were, I don't even know where to begin...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd4AUUmB66U[/youtube]
I'm sorry, but this guy doesn't remind me of James Anderson.

Klay is just water from outside, so why not just say his shooting will likely translate to the NBA and chances are he won't have a much larger role at first if that's where you're going instead of continuing with this bad comparison for no reason?

I mean are we going to compare Alec Burks to Anthony Morrow next?
Point-God
Banned User

Re: Klay Thompson Is The Most Underrated Prospect On The Pla 

Post#37 » by Point-God » Wed May 25, 2011 11:40 pm

Klay's stock has come a long way since I posted this thread. He was the 43rd pick in Draftexpress' mock when I posted this thread now he's 15th.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#38 » by jman3134 » Fri May 27, 2011 9:01 pm

I am still not a fan. I'm not sold on what DX is seeing with him.
nets4nets
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#39 » by nets4nets » Fri May 27, 2011 9:08 pm

Cammo101 wrote:He does seem to have a Landry Fields feel to him.

I think most expect him not to declare for this years draft.

except for he has the worst defense i have seen from a prospect he can score very well but his defense is terrible. He also isnt a playmake like even a Landry Fields is very limited off the dribble. College scorers don't always translate well. He will be a good shooter off the bench but his defense will limit his ability to stay on the court. BTW im one of his biggest fans watched his whole college career
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#40 » by Ruzious » Fri May 27, 2011 9:46 pm

I don't see him as being much better than Chase Buddinger - a mid 2nd rounder in 2009. Maybe a slightly purer shooter but that's about it.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams

Return to NBA Draft