Mike "The Moose" Muscala

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Gideon
Pro Prospect
And1: 178

Re: Mike "The Moose" Muscala 

Post#21 » by Gideon » Tue Jun 4, 2013 5:35 am

Needing to add weight is just super-correctable... that should never be an issue that has a significant impact on a player's draft stock. Literally anybody (who doesn't have some serious health or genetic problem) can add considerable muscle/size with the right training and diet regimen.

Noel will probably go #1 and he needs to add just as much weight as Muscala. I can see legit concerns about Muscala's athleticism/quickness/defensive ceiling, but whichever team drafts him will just set him up with a trainer and nutritionist who keep him on a weight-gain diet and workout program and he'll fill out fine.

I think Muscala could have a good NBA career... there are some legit concerns about him, but he can score and rebound well and those are very important and very translatable skills.
jowglenn
General Manager
And1: 2,509

Post#22 » by jowglenn » Tue Jun 4, 2013 1:50 pm

I'm almost certain Muscala will get drafted in the 1st round. Probably in the 20-30 range, sure, but looking at some of these mock drafts and some of the guys slated for those spots... I would certainly take Muscala over a lot of them.
TrueWarrior
RealGM
And1: 8,349

Post#23 » by TrueWarrior » Tue Jun 4, 2013 2:39 pm

jowglenn wrote:I'm almost certain Muscala will get drafted in the 1st round. Probably in the 20-30 range, sure, but looking at some of these mock drafts and some of the guys slated for those spots... I would certainly take Muscala over a lot of them.

Yea I think he will too. Another guy i wouldnt mind my Knicks taking. We could def use a skilled big man like him.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#24 » by Ruzious » Tue Jun 4, 2013 4:01 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:I see Ryan Kelly's style of offense as a bigger guarantee at C. Plus Kelly should be able to defend bigger Cs easier.

I'm a big Kelly fan, but... Muscala is the much better prospect for a couple of reasons:
1. He's put in the effort to re-shape his body, and you can see an obvious difference by looking at him now vs what he looked like before he was a senior. And he can and probably is - still improving in that regard. I believe his body fat % was less than half of what Kelly's measured at. Kelly desperately needs to get on a program and dedicate this offseason to reshaping his body. And he's coming off an injury.
2. Muscala is a MUCH better rebounder. They're not in the same neighborhood there. Muscala is really good, and Kelly is really bad. And that's why Kelly has to be considered strictly a PF candidate.

I guarantee Muscala is a 1st round pick - even though every mock I've seen has him in the 2nd round. If he lasts to 25, teams have screwed up imo. Remember, he's a 21 years old senior. Withey and Dieng and Plumlee are good solid big men prospects, but they're all 23 and put up their numbers against younger players. Muscala is as good or better than them as NBA prospects, imo.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
TrueWarrior
RealGM
And1: 8,349

Post#25 » by TrueWarrior » Wed Jun 5, 2013 3:49 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bZtGPsDd7s[/youtube]

Guy is just so skilled, versatile, and quick. Dont see how hes not better than Plumlee and some of these other bigs in the first round. Oh I know because he didnt go to Duke.
BRIGGS
Analyst
And1: 128

Post#26 » by BRIGGS » Wed Jun 5, 2013 9:11 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Dr Positivity wrote:I see Ryan Kelly's style of offense as a bigger guarantee at C. Plus Kelly should be able to defend bigger Cs easier.

I'm a big Kelly fan, but... Muscala is the much better prospect for a couple of reasons:
1. He's put in the effort to re-shape his body, and you can see an obvious difference by looking at him now vs what he looked like before he was a senior. And he can and probably is - still improving in that regard. I believe his body fat % was less than half of what Kelly's measured at. Kelly desperately needs to get on a program and dedicate this offseason to reshaping his body. And he's coming off an injury.
2. Muscala is a MUCH better rebounder. They're not in the same neighborhood there. Muscala is really good, and Kelly is really bad. And that's why Kelly has to be considered strictly a PF candidate.

I guarantee Muscala is a 1st round pick - even though every mock I've seen has him in the 2nd round. If he lasts to 25, teams have screwed up imo. Remember, he's a 21 years old senior. Withey and Dieng and Plumlee are good solid big men prospects, but they're all 23 and put up their numbers against younger players. Muscala is as good or better than them as NBA prospects, imo.

I think that is very reasonable.
You can see where his body just started to develop since college where he mus'tve worked on skills only. Putting on 10-12 hard pounds will be cake.

Here's my take

This guy is severely undervalued as a mobile stretch 4 with in/out skills. He is NOT a center repeat he is not an NBA center--I would not group him there. He's a guy who can spot up with a shot--blow by you with a dribble or post up with advanced skills. This guy has an array of offensive skills for a 7 footer and while he is far advanced on some of the other guys sans Olynck--I see him reaching even higher plateaus. What makes him even more interesting is his combination package of DEFENSIVE skills and passing game. This guy is a GOOD passer and he is a solid lengthy defender who rebounds the basketball in and out of space. I don't think any clip from Bucknell with do justice--it will show skills --it will also show he is not a post 5. This is an agile coordinated skilled 7 foot PF with a deadly jumpshot from any range and into the post. He is going to need that 10-12 pounds for his post game --I think 240-242 would be good for him. When people have evaluated him--I believe they ahev looked at him as a guy who plays C who is skinny and wont translate those skills to NBA 5. Weve NEVER seen him play a mobile4 game--thats why you see guys like Cahd Ford John Givony and Jay Hernadez saying this guy is going to be really good--because they are now seeing him at his natural position. Perception is a b ig thing--when you perceive you can cloud up. Hes got a perception behind him but he'll be one of the best players out of this draft and a steal of a lifetime in the 20's or early 30's. This is a lottery type talent going for pennies on the dollar.
Vanilla Ice is the best rap artist of all time
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,865

Post#27 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Sun Jun 9, 2013 1:52 am

Potentially another David Lee, with room to grow into a C role?
ferk
Starter
And1: 695

Post#28 » by ferk » Sun Jun 9, 2013 2:19 am

He's is #2 in per this year,#23 or something last year sounds like a Hollinger pick .

Can't see him falling anywhere close to 41 so I hope the grizz move up!

Return to NBA Draft