Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

neno
Rookie
And1: 936

Re: Hamidou Diallo to enter draft 

Post#21 » by neno » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:32 pm

nolang1 wrote:
reanimator wrote:What makes him more attractive as a prospect than Terrence Ferguson?

I haven't watched much of Ferguson in Australia, but even if Diallo is slightly less of a prospect than Ferguson (currently #15 on DX) a mid-late first round selection would still be warranted. I would say Diallo is much better in transition and at slashing (though neither player is someone you'd call a combo guard by any means) whereas Ferguson is better if you're looking for someone who can stand in the corner and provide some spacing right away.

I would add that I've always been biased against Zach Lavine or Rudy Gay-type players because I feel most of their perceived athleticism is tied up in how high they can jump with a clear runway to the hoop (as well as how quickly they can put the ball between the legs or behind the back before they dunk it). Needless to say, those kind of things aren't too relevant in a typical NBA game.

The obvious thing here is that he was considered the best SG prospect in his high school class and is now draft-eligible. Clearly much worse 2-guards have been drafted in the 1st round based on much less than Diallo has shown to this point.

Dx just listed Diallo for the first time at (33) and Ferguson still at (15) so apparently they think there's a good difference considering that Luke Kennard (15)and Donovan Mitchell(20) are sg's taken after Ferguson and(well) before Diallo. I agree with the belief that his floor considering avg work outs is 26. They say he's about 6"3 with a 6"10 wing and 8"5 standing reach very good run/jump aggressive, low skills/feel
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,355

Post#22 » by Catchall » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:27 pm

I think Diallo is more like 6'6".
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,168

Post#23 » by The-Power » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:01 pm

jonjames wrote:I think hes doing himself a disservice..he could have really used some burn in college for his development..

IIRC he's stated multiple times in interviews and on tape that he wants to make it in the NBA and provide for the family as soon as possible. If some team gives him a guaranteed contract by picking him in the first round then this might very well be the main reason for him to stay in the NBA even if he could have improved his stock or developed as a player by playing in college. Can't blame him if that's the case.

That said, I'm not that high on him. Solid pick-up late in the first with decent upside based on his athletic 3&D potential. Otherwise he's not really exciting as a prospect in my eyes. So I guess it all depends on what you a team expects from him.
SlowPaced
RealGM
And1: 17,487

Post#24 » by SlowPaced » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:13 pm

From what I've seen of him, Diallo has "athletic wing who can't create his shot and shoots inconsistently" written all over him. One of those Terrence Ross, Ben McLemore, Kelly Oubre types.

These types get drafted with great 3&D potential in mind, but the percentage of players that actually do pan out is very low so I definitely do not think he belongs anywhere near the lottery. At least not with what he has shown thus far.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,148

Post#25 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:12 am

SlowPaced wrote:From what I've seen of him, Diallo has "athletic wing who can't create his shot and shoots inconsistently" written all over him. One of those Terrence Ross, Ben McLemore, Kelly Oubre types.

These types get drafted with great 3&D potential in mind, but the percentage of players that actually do pan out is very low so I definitely do not think he belongs anywhere near the lottery. At least not with what he has shown thus far.

Ross and McLemore were guys capable of catching and shooting though. Diallo cant even really catch and shoot. Diallo is a good athlete (really explosive) but has very limited ball skills. His handle is shaky at best and has really no jumper to speak of. He scores in basically 2 ways, transition or straight line drives. He also doesnt create for others at all either. Hes as raw of a prospect as they come basically. I think he should be a 2nd rounder but will go late 1st round because someone is going to take a flyer on him because of his athleticism.
PlatinumState
Starter
And1: 2,725

Post#26 » by PlatinumState » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:00 am

Diallo is worth the risk taking anywhere after #15. He could turn out to be real good down the line.
wablty
Sixth Man
And1: 1,086

Post#27 » by wablty » Tue May 2, 2017 12:18 am

nolang1 wrote:
reanimator wrote:don't get the hype

Probably the most physically gifted 2-guard prospect in the past 5 years or so. Yet another of those "if he can figure out how to shoot..." guys.

In terms of pure, crazy physical ability? LaVine.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#28 » by Duke4life831 » Tue May 2, 2017 1:06 am

wablty wrote:
nolang1 wrote:
reanimator wrote:don't get the hype

Probably the most physically gifted 2-guard prospect in the past 5 years or so. Yet another of those "if he can figure out how to shoot..." guys.

Yup. Lavine taller, more agile, faster and more explosive, plus he had much better handles and a better jumper.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,228

Post#29 » by doordoor123 » Tue May 2, 2017 2:51 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
wablty wrote:
nolang1 wrote:

Yup. Lavine taller, more agile, faster and more explosive, plus he had much better handles and a better jumper.

He's more of a three than a 2 IMO. Diallo has heavy feet and doesn't change direction too well from what I've seen (LaVine doesn't change direction well either). He likes to post up and he's a good rebounder. I don't see him as a guy running off screens to get quick threes. I like him ahead of Terrance Ferguson who a lot of people have at the back end of the lottery.

If this draft is loaded with anything it's upside and staying-ability. Initially I think it'll look like an average class, but in two or three years this might end up being the draft it's hyped to be.
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,757

Post#30 » by nolang1 » Tue May 2, 2017 4:54 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
wablty wrote:
nolang1 wrote:

Being able to jump high off a running start != being faster and more explosive. Diallo is stronger and has a wingspan 3+ inches longer. I wasn't just saying that for kicks and giggles.

I can't think of a single notable dunk LaVine in an actual game with someone else in his general vicinity, and his field goal percentage at the rim does not stand out among other shooting guards. I guess I'm referring to the athleticism that manifests itself in places other than dunk contests.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#31 » by Duke4life831 » Tue May 2, 2017 6:01 am

nolang1 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
wablty wrote:

Being able to jump high off a running start != being faster and more explosive. Diallo is stronger and has a wingspan 3+ inches longer. I wasn't just saying that for kicks and giggles.

I can't think of a single notable dunk LaVine in an actual game with someone else in his general vicinity
, and his field goal percentage at the rim does not stand out among other shooting guards. I guess I'm referring to the athleticism that manifests itself in places other than dunk contests.

wablty
Sixth Man
And1: 1,086

Post#32 » by wablty » Tue May 2, 2017 12:05 pm

nolang1 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
wablty wrote:

I can't think of a single notable dunk LaVine in an actual game with someone else in his general vicinity, and his field goal percentage at the rim does not stand out among other shooting guards. I guess I'm referring to the athleticism that manifests itself in places other than dunk contests.

What are you talking about? We don't know what LaVine will be like post injury, but prior to being hurt this year he was one of if not the fastest end to end guy in the NBA - Example here https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=5niPTpfsCBA#t=61.

He also has an absurd first step. I kind of feel like you just forgot about him and have decided to go down with the ship.
nolang1
Assistant Coach

Post#33 » by nolang1 » Tue May 2, 2017 4:50 pm

wablty wrote:
nolang1 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

What are you talking about? We don't know what LaVine will be like post injury, but prior to being hurt this year he was one of if not the fastest end to end guy in the NBA - Example here https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=5niPTpfsCBA#t=61.

He also has an absurd first step. I kind of feel like you just forgot about him and have decided to go down with the ship.

No, I know LaVine's defensive limitations all too well. I'm also well aware that, after LaVine's injury, Rubio, Towns, and Wiggins all played better and the Timberwolves began a stretch of playing above-.500 basketball until it came time to tank towards the end of the season. Also your example is very illustrative of just how limited the applications for LaVine's athleticism are: if your point guard is not Ricky Rubio, odds are that pass isn't even going to be attempted, much less completed. Shabazz Muhammad has dunked more regularly than LaVine (since I know you'll want to find some way to nitpick that as well, in each of the past 3 seasons Muhammad has played fewer minutes and gotten more dunks than LaVine) because in addition to the free dunks any player can get by leaking out in transition and playing with Ricky Rubio, Muhammad has the strength and wingspan to dunk in traffic.

I made a pretty basic claim meant to quickly illustrate Diallo's strengths ("probably the most physically gifted 2-guard prospect to come into the league in the past 5 years or so") to anyone unfamiliar with him. Since then, that has been nitpicked by people patronizingly claiming I must have forgotten about players who either play small forward (Wiggins, Jackson) or are defensive liabilities in large part due to being skinny and having a below-average wingspan (LaVine).

A player as "physically gifted" (aka mostly able to run fast in a straight line and jump high off a running start) as LaVine who is also a bad shooter would be undraftable. I can go on YouTube and find lots of guys who have spent time perfecting some cool dunks, and I wouldn't say they're particularly physically gifted by NBA standards either.
nolang1
Assistant Coach

Post#34 » by nolang1 » Thu May 11, 2017 10:12 pm

Combine results:
6'5" in shoes
6'11.25" wingspan
197 lbs
44.5" vertical leap (2nd in NBA combine history; LaVine's in 2014 was 41.5")

Most likely staying in with those kind of numbers. Thon Maker having a better-than-expected rookie season is probably going to help him as well.
Justwar
Rookie
And1: 222

Post#35 » by Justwar » Thu May 11, 2017 10:15 pm

Don't think he stays unless he gets a top twenty promise
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,242

Post#36 » by EvanZ » Thu May 11, 2017 10:23 pm

Is this guy like a smaller Gerald Green or something?
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Gam
Bench Warmer
And1: 806

Post#37 » by Gam » Thu May 11, 2017 10:26 pm

EvanZ wrote:Is this guy like a smaller Gerald Green or something?

2 inches better wingspan, 5 inches better vert.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,972

Post#38 » by MotownMadness » Thu May 11, 2017 10:26 pm

He will probably get a draft promise in the 20s possibly late teens. Someone will bite on that kind of athleticism.
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,885

Post#39 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Thu May 11, 2017 10:43 pm

Is Diallo a bit like Desmond Mason?
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,242

Post#40 » by EvanZ » Thu May 11, 2017 10:52 pm

Gam wrote:
EvanZ wrote:Is this guy like a smaller Gerald Green or something?

2 inches better wingspan, 5 inches better vert.

So yes?
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.

Return to NBA Draft