Johnny Furphy - Kansas

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,690

Re: Johnny Furphy - Kansas 

Post#21 » by Colbinii » Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:41 pm

MemphisX wrote:I don't know who he reminds me of but I like watching him play. Have a feeling my thinking about blowing up Year 2 might be gone.

A white guy, right?
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,614

Post#22 » by MemphisX » Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:44 pm

Colbinii wrote:
MemphisX wrote:I don't know who he reminds me of but I like watching him play. Have a feeling my thinking about blowing up Year 2 might be gone.

A white guy, right?

Well, post back injury MPJ is half-white. Don't know if that counts. :lol:
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#23 » by Colbinii » Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:47 pm

MemphisX wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

A white guy, right?

Well, post back injury MPJ is half-white. Don't know if that counts. :lol:

Yeah I like the MPJ/OPJ/Klay comparisons.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 8,108

Post#24 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:55 pm

OPJ is a pretty interesting comp. Just a super solid player who makes the right plays on both sides of the ball.

Think Furphy has a bit more hustle to his game though - but also is not the handler / passer that OPJ was.
BigGargamel
Analyst
And1: 6,807

Post#25 » by BigGargamel » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:28 pm

Colbinii wrote:

A white guy, right?

A white guy from Kansas who hustles? Christian Braun, doy!
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man
And1: 1,287

Post#26 » by FarBeyondDriven » Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:38 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:Gordon Hayward 2.0. I love how every year in college some guys come out of nowhere to become top prospects. I know I had never heard of him or considered him before he got the starting nod. Makes the already GOAT international class that much better. The fact that he was sitting for so long is crazy.

He's very good clay, but he hasn't had a self-creation rep all season.

Haha yup, 90% assisted rate at the rim and 96% assisted rate from 3. Im with most on here who is really liking what they see from Furphy, but Hayward was a shot creator in college, Furphy has yet to show that. Not saying he cant get there, just that he has shown 0 of that so far.

people's perceptions get clouded over time especially when they likely remember just highlights and what players developed into not necessarily the prospect they were as freshmen. Furphy hasn't shown on-ball creation for a variety of reasons. System, being on a veteran team and lack of opportunities. I don't evaluate prospects based on production as much as potential. If you watch film of him prior to his time at Kansas he showed plenty of ability off the dribble and with self-creation
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man

Post#27 » by FarBeyondDriven » Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:42 pm

Chi town wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:He's very good clay, but he hasn't had a self-creation rep all season.

Haha yup, 90% assisted rate at the rim and 96% assisted rate from 3. Im with most on here who is really liking what they see from Furphy, but Hayward was a shot creator in college, Furphy has yet to show that. Not saying he cant get there, just that he has shown 0 of that so far.

He’s not like Hayward at all.

He’s Caruso on Defense.

Offense he’s mainly transition, 3s, cuts to the hoop and putbacks.

If he gets a handle he’s top 3.

except he is. It's a stellar comp. They have similar size, athleticsim, movement, hustle, BBIQ, defense, transition game, off-ball movement and shooting. While it isn't on tape yet at Kansas, the on-ball creation is in his bag going by his play prior to college. And your recollection of who Hayward was as a rookie is undoubtedly clouded by his eventual development into what he became as a pro. Freshman Furphy and freshman Hayward is eerily similar.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,184

Post#28 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:31 pm

FarBeyondDriven wrote:
Chi town wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

He’s Caruso on Defense.

except he is. It's a stellar comp. They have similar size, athleticsim, movement, hustle, BBIQ, defense, transition game, off-ball movement and shooting. While it isn't on tape yet at Kansas, the on-ball creation is in his bag going by his play prior to college. And your recollection of who Hayward was as a rookie is undoubtedly clouded by his eventual development into what he became as a pro. Freshman Furphy and freshman Hayward is eerily similar.

Really? You watch a lot of 2008-2009 Butler back in the day? Pretty hard to watch Horizon league ball back then.

I sure as hell remember watching Soph Hayward in the tournament and he played nothing like Furphy is currently playing.

If you think Furphy has untapped on ball creativity, cool. But I’d love to hear how you’ve seen plenty of freshman Hayward and how he played just like Furphy.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,329

Post#29 » by clyde21 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:38 am

alright pause this thread we need to figure out wth is going on
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,614

Post#30 » by MemphisX » Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:38 am

BigGargamel wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

A white guy, right?

A white guy from Kansas who hustles? Christian Braun, doy!

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/m9KAHj7_-k4
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,139

Post#31 » by Chi town » Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:01 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:
Chi town wrote:

He’s Caruso on Defense.

Really? You watch a lot of 2008-2009 Butler back in the day? Pretty hard to watch Horizon league ball back then.

I sure as hell remember watching Soph Hayward in the tournament and he played nothing like Furphy is currently playing.

If you think Furphy has untapped on ball creativity, cool. But I’d love to hear how you’ve seen plenty of freshman Hayward and how he played just like Furphy.

Or how you could possibly remember that from 15yrs ago!

Maybe, photographic memory I guess.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#32 » by Colbinii » Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:06 am

clyde21 wrote:alright pause this thread we need to figure out wth is going on

With what?

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,329

Post#33 » by clyde21 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:11 am

Colbinii wrote:

With what?

these takes
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#34 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:12 am

clyde21 wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

With what?

these takes

If you don’t think he’s Hayward with Caruso’s defense, you don’t know basketball!
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man

Post#35 » by FarBeyondDriven » Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:19 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:
Chi town wrote:

He’s Caruso on Defense.

just a couple of games. One against Steph and Davidson as it was a huge game for both teams and in the tournament.

nothing like? c'mon bro. And I've already said his on-ball skills haven't been shown at Kansas yet so if you're only hyper focused on that one aspect of their games in this comparison then of course you won't see the similaries because Furphy hasn't shown it at all.

These highlights are full of Furphy showing his ability to drive off kickouts and taking guys off the dribble, moving without the ball, defense and high BBIQ, which at his size and athleticism, what makes his and Hayward's game similar.

similarities seem pretty obvious. Not sure why this is triggering the usual suspects. You'd think I compared him to Marcus Camby :lol:

it's not "untapped" he just hasn't had the opportunity yet to show it at Kansas. I never said I've seen plenty of freshman Hayward. But between the couple of times I watched him live, what I remember, and the corroborating evidence found via his freshmen highlights, he and Furphy have many similarities.

what I do find funny is how you had to create a locked thread warning people to behave on here and yet, as a mod, you're just as smarmy and combative as the rest and continue to let people run their mouths with no push back. Way to set a great example!
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#36 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:39 am

FarBeyondDriven wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:

just a couple of games. One against Steph and Davidson as it was a huge game for both teams and in the tournament.

nothing like? c'mon bro. And I've already said his on-ball skills haven't been shown at Kansas yet so if you're only hyper focused on that one aspect of their games in this comparison then of course you won't see the similaries because Furphy hasn't shown it at all.

These highlights are full of Furphy showing his ability to drive off kickouts and taking guys off the dribble, moving without the ball, defense and high BBIQ, which at his size and athleticism, what makes his and Hayward's game similar.

similarities seem pretty obvious. Not sure why this is triggering the usual suspects. You'd think I compared him to Marcus Camby :lol:

it's not "untapped" he just hasn't had the opportunity yet to show it at Kansas. I never said I've seen plenty of freshman Hayward. But between the couple of times I watched him live, what I remember, and the corroborating evidence found via his freshmen highlights, he and Furphy have many similarities.

what I do find funny is how you had to create a locked thread warning people to behave on here and yet, as a mod, you're just as smarmy and combative as the rest and continue to let people run their mouths with no push back. Way to set a great example!

Oh come on. I’m not derailing the thread and I’m not giving you any personal attacks. Me asking you to back up your claim is nowhere near anything against board rules.

Sorry I didn’t buy your claim that you saw enough of freshman Gordon Hayward to challenge people to say that they’re all wrong and you’re right on a comp.

And I’m saying this not as a mod but as someone that has been posting here for awhile. If you want more improved back and forth discussions with people on here, chill with the definitive takes and talking down to people. You drop your opinions as if they’re facts. When people disagree with you, you tend to drop the “you must haven’t watched him enough” line (which is the main reason I pushed you hard on this aspect). This board is a place where people just shoot the **** about prospects. Got disagreements, perfectly fine hash them out. But you can do that without talking down to people as if your opinions are facts.
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man

Post#37 » by FarBeyondDriven » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:03 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

Oh come on. I’m not derailing the thread and I’m not giving you any personal attacks. Me asking you to back up your claim is nowhere near anything against board rules.

Sorry I didn’t buy your claim that you saw enough of freshman Gordon Hayward to challenge people to say that they’re all wrong and you’re right on a comp.

And I’m saying this not as a mod but as someone that has been posting here for awhile. If you want more improved back and forth discussions with people on here, chill with the definitive takes and talking down to people. You drop your opinions as if they’re facts. When people disagree with you, you tend to drop the “you must haven’t watched him enough” line (which is the main reason I pushed you hard on this aspect). This board is a place where people just shoot the **** about prospects. Got disagreements, perfectly fine hash them out. But you can do that without talking down to people as if your opinions are facts.

please. You were being smarmy by suggesting I didn't have a basis for my opinion. You and the usual suspects upvote all the problematic posters' posts when they attack me (and others) and talk down to me all the time. Why are only MY opinions considered "definitive takes" and "talking down to people"? I'm just stating my opinion. It's no different from anyone else. Nobody should be construing that as me stating them as facts obviously. It's all conjecture. I just want to shoot the **** as you say without people constantly coming at me.

I watch a lot of games. A ridiculous amount. And I watch highlights if I can't catch games live. I'm well informed. That's not to say that I'm perfect or infallible but I have a pretty good grasp on this thing. I know I don't have the track record to back me up and that sucks because it gives haters ammunition to dismiss my takes. But that's fine and can only change as time passes. You have to understand and admit there's a group of you that is used to bullying posters and attack posters all the time. Their posts are dripping with condescension and are combative. Even simple exchanges are this way. Go look at my posts where I'm trying to share my opinion. So many of them are attacked needlessly and those are then upvoted by the handful of bullies on here. It's like you're all one person with multiple accounts. I mean, you had to create that locked thread warning the board for a reason. It gets toxic. The difference between me and them is they all gang up while I'm fighting back alone. I've taken that post of yours to heart and for awhile it got better in here until recently and your posts are just fanning the flames and pretending they aren't is disingenuous.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,413

Post#38 » by mattao313 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:13 am

The-Power wrote:6'9 Caruso
Hayward 2.0
Sam Dekker

I'm really proud of you guys. :D
Whatever and make fun because my comparison is another white guy I guess it make it not valid . But imo he plays like Sam dekker

Sent from my SM-A528B using RealGM mobile app
Championships
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man

Post#39 » by FarBeyondDriven » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:05 am

mattao313 wrote:
The-Power wrote:6'9 Caruso
Hayward 2.0
Sam Dekker

I'm really proud of you guys. :D
Whatever and make fun because my comparison is another white guy I guess it make it not valid . But imo he plays like Sam dekker

Sent from my SM-A528B using RealGM mobile app

it's okay when they mock people though :lol: I can see Dekker comp if you take Dekker as a freshman vs what we've seen from Furphy at Kansas so far. Very similar. Dekker's shooting wasn't for real though and Furphy is a better all around player and defender. Dekker miraculously hung on in the NBA for several years mostly based on the promise he showed as a freshman imo.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 8,108

Post#40 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:29 pm

Dekker was more of a small ball PF - I think Furphy can legit play SF.

I dont think he will be a bucket getting star but I do think he has all the tools to be a super high end 4th starter - a guy that can get 14-16 / 6-8 / 2-3 and gives you excellent hustle on both ends - all while not eating much usage. These are the guys that push a team w/ an established core over the edge IMO. Outside chance he could become a 3rd option but I would draft him as that utility 4th starter and go from there - in this draft that is a Top-10 talent, and honestly probably in most drafts (EX I take Furphy over Black, Hendricks, Cason w/o doubt of last draft and would have a conversation about the taking him before the Thompsons and Bilal).

If he cant guard SF at the next level his value drops quite a bit IMO - its the idea of a true 6'8 SF that can shoot, defend and hustle that really makes him attractive - guys that size at SF are a huge scarcity.

Return to NBA Draft