Jeff Teague

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Bobbcats
Assistant Coach
And1: 477

Re: Jeff Teague 

Post#21 » by Bobbcats » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:40 pm

bill curley II wrote:Teague's above average in athelticism, but not a top notch athlete like Westbrook was coming in last year. That block wasn't overly impressive and there's a lot of 6 3 guards in the NBA that can do that. Even last night, while he was getting past Lawson easily, it was more Lawson just playing horrible defense than Teague doing anything insane.

Well he's got plenty of assets besides his athleticism, although honestly I think he is very much a top notch athlete. He's not a full-speed guy he just keeps people off balance. Really there's a lot of stuff they do the same he's just more athletic.

He needs to learn to shoot a real jump shot though if he wants to guarantee his future in the NBA. Right now he shoots 54% from 3 but he shoots flatfooted like CP. Paul gets away with it because people would rather he shoot a shot than go anywhere else, but it's going to have to be one of Teague's main weapons.
TheOGJabroni
Head Coach
And1: 1,992

Post#22 » by TheOGJabroni » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:59 am

I wasn't a big fan of him last year but this year his game has been great. No way you can not like what you see from him.
skiz2
Bench Warmer
And1: 185

Post#23 » by skiz2 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:27 am

bill curley II wrote:Teague's above average in athelticism, but not a top notch athlete like Westbrook was coming in last year. That block wasn't overly impressive and there's a lot of 6 3 guards in the NBA that can do that. Even last night, while he was getting past Lawson easily, it was more Lawson just playing horrible defense than Teague doing anything insane.

Did you not see the highlights comparing the Dunk of Teagues to Westbrooks? They almost looked identical. Teague has Westbrooks athleticism and intesity slashing to the basket to go along with a more consistant jumpshot. Both show the skills to run the point as well. Don't forget that Teague is the teams starting PG. He only plays off the ball when Ish Smith comes in. This is a special player!
bill curley II
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#24 » by bill curley II » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:35 pm

skiz2 wrote:

Did you not see the highlights comparing the Dunk of Teagues to Westbrooks? They almost looked identical. Teague has Westbrooks athleticism and intesity slashing to the basket to go along with a more consistant jumpshot. Both show the skills to run the point as well. Don't forget that Teague is the teams starting PG. He only plays off the ball when Ish Smith comes in. This is a special player!

Not sure which specific highlight you're talking about but the best dunk I could find of teague was this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrGMw7RrmI4

Which was pretty sick.

Still, I don't think his athleticism is something that sets him apart as a top flight prospect. And to say he's going to be a number 1 pick is pretty far fetched since he's still a 6 3 scoring guard, regardless of whether he brings up the ball or not for Wake.
i<3basketball
Junior
And1: 3

Post#25 » by i<3basketball » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:41 pm

Teague proved himself to be a potential lotto pick against UNC, but in no way should he be #1 let alone top 5. I do however like his NBA potential as a combo guard similar to Jerryd Bayless and/or Randy Foye.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,580

Post#26 » by Ruzious » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:08 pm

Other than the low assist numbers, my concern would be - those aggressive drives to the hoop work in college against players who are weaker and slower than him, but in the NBA - will they work on players who are a lot closer and sometimes equal or better in strength and quickness? Or will he look like an out of control ball hog?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,319

Post#27 » by jman3134 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:48 am

Simply due to his superior quickness and athleticism, Teague has to be considered as a lottery pick. At the very least, he is a definite top 20 player. Against North Carolina, he looked like a remarkable top 5 talent. But, I am not going to go ahead and suggest that he is deserving of this position just yet. His numbers are great right now, but I will reserve judgement for later in the season. But, I was as impressed as skiz by this guy's performance against the Tar Heels. He certainly looked like an adequate number 1 pick the other day, but I sort of feel like we need to put this into perspective as it is only one game.

I really don't share most of your concerns about him as a point guard. I feel that he displays excellent vision and certainly plays within the team's offense.

As Ruzious points out, there is a concern if he is too eratic with his amount of time dribbling the ball. But, he certainly can finish plays and get to the basket.
ponder276
Head Coach
And1: 67

Post#28 » by ponder276 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:35 am

Very good athleticism, but we're not talking about a Rose/Westbrook level athlete here. I'm not impressed by his jumper despite his high 3p% - he has a slow release, and gets almost no elevation on his shot. Very good slasher, easily his biggest asset, although he will *REALLY* need to learn to take pull-up jumpers in the NBA (once he starts his drive, he pretty much always goes all the way to the hoop, which works in college, but won't work against superior NBA defenders). Can make very nice passes on some plays, but misses very obvious passes on many other plays, and he often over dribbles - still has a long way to go as a PG. Mediocre defender.

I like the Louis Williams comparison, seems fairly spot on to me. This is a weak draft, so he should be a lotto player, but I don't see him as a top 5 pick, and he is most definitely not #1 pick - you'd have to be crazy to take him over Griffin, Harden or Monroe, who all have clear positions, and who all project as future all-stars IMO. I see him as being on a similar level to Curry and Holiday, not really sure how to rank these 3 combo guards yet.
Jonathan Watters
Banned User

Post#29 » by Jonathan Watters » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:05 pm

From watching him play Sunday night, I thought Devin Harris physically + a bit of Gilbert Arenas' creativity with the ball in his hands.

If, and don't get me wrong a huge IF at this point, he can prove that Sunday night is somewhere around his norm and not just a once a season hot night, I have no problem with Jeff Teague being labeled a top 5 pick.

There just aren't that many other decent options in this draft, at least nobody else popping up and slapping me in the face at this stage - Teague definitely did that on Sunday.
Jonathan Watters
Banned User

Post#30 » by Jonathan Watters » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:09 pm

ponder276 wrote: Mediocre defender.

:o

Seriously?

Before this season, defense was Teague's calling card.

Obviously there is a team effort thing going on at Wake, but Teague is certainly a major part of the turnaround there.

If we've got people pointing out defense as a possible weakness, the guy has obviously skyrocketed to the top of the charts...
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,888

Post#31 » by Cammo101 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:56 pm

Jonathan Watters wrote:From watching him play Sunday night, I thought Devin Harris physically + a bit of Gilbert Arenas' creativity with the ball in his hands.

If, and don't get me wrong a huge IF at this point, he can prove that Sunday night is somewhere around his norm and not just a once a season hot night, I have no problem with Jeff Teague being labeled a top 5 pick.

There just aren't that many other decent options in this draft, at least nobody else popping up and slapping me in the face at this stage - Teague definitely did that on Sunday.

I can see those comparisons. He screams Russell Westbrook to me. I think it's early to call Teague a top 5 pick, but he has probably worked his way into the lottery at this point.
Bobbcats
Assistant Coach
And1: 477

Post#32 » by Bobbcats » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:35 am

another great game for teague

there are lots of NBA players on Wake. Aminu is playing like a glue guy but he could definitely take a bigger role on this team. Really impressed me watching the WFU BC game
zauchary
Junior
And1: 28

Post#33 » by zauchary » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:19 pm

Teague is like Gilbert Arenas lite, but only getting better.

Aminu impressed the hell out of me against BC the other night.
AnSweR07
Banned User

Post#34 » by AnSweR07 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:55 pm

Idk if he's better than Rose/Westbrook athletically but he's definitely a better basketball player than both of them when they were in college.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#35 » by jman3134 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:17 am

Better than Rose in the tournament? I seriously doubt that.
AnSweR07
Banned User

Post#36 » by AnSweR07 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:12 pm

BigSlam wrote:Would you say that Teague is a little like Monta Ellis?

yea i can see that a little bit..his ability to get to the lane with ease and his finishing ability around the basket are very similar..not as good of mid range game tho.
AnSweR07
Banned User

Post#37 » by AnSweR07 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:37 pm

i just thought recently does anyone see jay williams from duke in him?
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,580

Post#38 » by Ruzious » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:43 pm

AnSweR07 wrote:i just thought recently does anyone see jay williams from duke in him?

Not really. Jay was more of a real PG, and he was at least 2 inches shorter.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#39 » by jman3134 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:45 am

Yeah, Teague's length and height really separate him in my mind.
NUNBETTA
Starter
And1: 0

Post#40 » by NUNBETTA » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:46 pm

jman3134 wrote:Yeah, Teague's length and height really separate him in my mind.

Is that akin to saying you believe Teague is a better prospect now than Williams was then, or am I misreading you?

Return to NBA Draft